Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Marchegiana posted:

Well, it looks like I'm going to be fostering soon, but first some backstory:

In the spring I noticed a new cat wandering in the neighborhood that would come into my yard and roll all over my catnip. It had a flea collar, so I assumed it belonged to somebody and was mostly just annoyed. I put stakes around the catnip so the cat could no longer roll it to death and promptly forgot about it. Til a month ago, that is, when I accidentally startled this cat while coming out onto my back porch. It was hotter than Satan's ballsack outside, and the poor cat was trying to drink water out of the saucers under my flowerpots. At that point I noticed that it still had on the same flea collar from the spring, and realized it had probably been abandoned. A few days of giving her food and water warmed her up to me, and she now actively seeks me out for petting and brushings and spends a whole lot of her time on my back deck. Asking around the neighborhood and putting found cat notices online has yielded nothing.

So anyway, it just so happens I have connections with the local SPCA- not only have I been a cat foster for them in the past, but my friend works for them as the admissions administrator. She's going to do the admit consult on this cat when she comes over for our Sunday D&D game, and put her on the wait list. In the interim, I'll effectively be fostering her until room opens up at the SPCA, which will probably be in October.

Here's the cat in question:

She was horribly matted when we first started caring for her, but she's super sweet and trusting to the point where she even let me use scissors to cut off the mats that weren't close to her skin. The poor thing is so attention-starved that she'd actually rather be petted than eat. My kids have been calling her Miss Priss (mainly because of the constant look of disdain for humanity that is natural to Persians), but that's not a very adoptable name so we're looking for suggestions on a good name that will catch people's attention in the shelter.

I was going to say Muffin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

Marchegiana posted:

It was hotter than Satan's ballsack outside, and the poor cat was trying to drink water out of the saucers under my flowerpots. At that point I noticed that it still had on the same flea collar from the spring, and realized it had probably been abandoned.

Oh gosh, poor baby. What kind of flowers were in there? Name her after them. :haw:

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
So I had a question for the fosters here since you have so much experience with multiple pets and obviously sending to forever homes or back to their shelters.

Anyway, a few pages ago I posted about humanely capturing some kittens here and I was able to do so, the shelter had no space and they asked me if I could keep them till they had some space so I did, I kept them for a little over 3 weeks and today they had some space so I took em and I don't know why but I feel bad, one of the little ones was warming up to me pretty hard, he followed me around a lot, meowed at me, would let me rub his belly and knead a lot on me and well I was warming up to him to, but I lack the resources to add another cat to my family, hell I started nursing school in a little over 4 days, I certainly have the disposition but not the means so obviously I did what I could.

But I still feel bad for this little one that liked me and I'm gonna miss it for sure and I just don't know if these are normal feelings.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

Alteisen posted:

So I had a question for the fosters here since you have so much experience with multiple pets and obviously sending to forever homes or back to their shelters.

Anyway, a few pages ago I posted about humanely capturing some kittens here and I was able to do so, the shelter had no space and they asked me if I could keep them till they had some space so I did, I kept them for a little over 3 weeks and today they had some space so I took em and I don't know why but I feel bad, one of the little ones was warming up to me pretty hard, he followed me around a lot, meowed at me, would let me rub his belly and knead a lot on me and well I was warming up to him to, but I lack the resources to add another cat to my family, hell I started nursing school in a little over 4 days, I certainly have the disposition but not the means so obviously I did what I could.

But I still feel bad for this little one that liked me and I'm gonna miss it for sure and I just don't know if these are normal feelings.

Of course. And it happens in similar fashion with me. I've gotten to the point that taking litters back is just kind of a thing that happens.... but every now and then I get a Tic Tac.

Posted about her awhile ago, but in case you don't remember Tic Tac was this little bugger:

Chili posted:

GUYS GUYS

Tic Tac:

I just can't

I mean come on, just look at the little cravat!

I cried some good tears over saying goodbye to that one. And of course if I had the resources I'd jump after every one of those feelings, but I've got 2.75 cats to deal with as it is and we want to keep on helping when we can. I will say, and I'm sure if it were possible you would've gone for it, adopting out the special ones to your friends is awesome. We have a couple of softies in our pocket who we will definitely nudge when one of those special ones rolls around. It's super awesome getting to keep track of their progress and such.

But anyway, I totally get where you're coming from, and the occasional big bummer stretch of time can be part of doing business. Fortunately, Katie is generally able to cope with moving on much better than I am so she balances me out. That definitely helps.

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the Universe, are challenged by this point of pale light. Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark.
Lipstick Apathy
I don't foster but I witness a lot of adoptions of the cats I work with.

Can't remember not getting at least a little misty. Partly 'cause I'm so happy they're going home and partly 'cause I'll miss my friend a little.

ZoeDomingo
Nov 12, 2009
I love this thread. All of you are so wonderful for taking care of all of these little friends. And Butterscotch is my hero. :)

So I'm planning to adopt a cat soon. I've been looking online at the local Humane Society, County shelters, and the Cat Network to see what kind of cats are available. I'm planning to go to some of the pet stores that host adoption events this weekend and try to get to know some of the cats there. I know this is a thread for fostering and not adopting, but I was hoping the experts in this thread could give me some pointers.

What I know I'm looking for:

Not kittens; I've never had a cat before and I'd rather have one that already sort of knows how to "cat." Also, I would like one whose personality is already somewhat established, so I have a better idea of what he's going to be like with me.

I'm open to getting two cats if they are a bonded pair. I have plenty of room in my apartment for two and I know that having two will help keep them from getting bored and lonely.

I've been leaning toward getting a male cat, but only because it seems that, on the whole, they tend to be more affectionate and more likely to be a "lap cat." And that's kind of what I want: an affectionate cat that likes to play but also likes pets and sitting on or near my lap.

Does anyone have any advice for finding a cat that kind of fits my criteria? The only other thing is that I'd prefer short-hair to long-hair cats, but only because I don't want to deal with a lot of cat hair.

Thanks, folks. and Chili, give Butters a big ol' smooch for me.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

ZoeDomingo posted:

What I know I'm looking for:

Not kittens; I've never had a cat before and I'd rather have one that already sort of knows how to "cat." Also, I would like one whose personality is already somewhat established, so I have a better idea of what he's going to be like with me.

I'm open to getting two cats if they are a bonded pair. I have plenty of room in my apartment for two and I know that having two will help keep them from getting bored and lonely.

I've been leaning toward getting a male cat, but only because it seems that, on the whole, they tend to be more affectionate and more likely to be a "lap cat." And that's kind of what I want: an affectionate cat that likes to play but also likes pets and sitting on or near my lap.

Does anyone have any advice for finding a cat that kind of fits my criteria? The only other thing is that I'd prefer short-hair to long-hair cats, but only because I don't want to deal with a lot of cat hair.
My advice would be to talk actively with the people at your local shelter about what you're looking for in personality. Shelter volunteers generally know the cats and their needs, and they're happy to guide people towards animals that are a good fit. When we adopted our last cat, we talked about our concerns (wanting a younger adult cat with some confidence, because we had another cat who had some bullying/dominance tendencies) with a shelter volunteer, and she steered us right. Their goal is to get pets into the right homes, and they're happy to help prospective owners, so be open about your experience level and desires. All of the criteria you mention are really reasonable, so you shouldn't have any trouble.

I also recommend finding a shelter with colony rooms or other environments where you can interact with the cats prior to adoption, because that's a really good way to get a feel for them and see if they like/are interested in you. They're not always completely accurate -- when we hung out in the colony room with our cat, she was more interested in the picture window than humans, but at home she's really clingy and affectionate -- but they're a lot better than just walking by cages and sticking a hand in. Take your time and get to know the cats; don't feel like you have to adopt the first time you go, or from the first place you go to. Good luck!

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

I just adopted my first and my method was making a few visits and spending a couple of hours each time at the local shelter just playing with every cat there. I went in knowing a couple I was interested in but just clicked with one I hadn't considered ahead of time and brought her home. Talk to the volunteers, they will know the most about personalities since they interact with the cats all the time.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
Yeah, what those guys said. And it's awesome that you're considering a bonded pair. The shelter will love you for taking an adult boned pair if you end up going that route. They are typically the hardest to get adopted out.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Boogaloo, you say you have a new cat, but the picture of said cat in your post seems to be missing. :colbert:

Chili posted:

The shelter will love you for taking an adult boned pair

:wiggle:

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
Oy vey. Phone posting has bested me yet again.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Boogaloo, you say you have a new cat, but the picture of said cat in your post seems to be missing. :colbert

I almost posted pics but figured I flooded the other cat threads enough but yeah, Milly hasn't graced this one yet.

:refurb:

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
I will say that if you have the resources, two cats is the best number to get. Because you're not going to be home all the time, and cats get bored and lonely.

And from a practical standpoint, a bored cat on its own will destroy your stuff. If you have two, a bored cat will go and bother the other cat.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
if you have the resources all the cats is also a good number.

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the Universe, are challenged by this point of pale light. Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark.
Lipstick Apathy
ZoeDomingo, I'm assuming you're American and if you are, see if your shelter(s) participates in the ASPCA's Meet Your Match program. We've had a lot of success with getting the right kitties with the right people at my shelter and have seen a reduction in returns.

But even without, you can find your perfect kitty/kitties! Talk to the people who spend the most time with the kitties (usually the volunteers) and tell them what you're looking for. If you don't have a click when you're there, don't be afraid to leave and think on it and come back later, even several times. We actually like that because it shows someone is serious about the right adoption. Plus, there's almost always new kitties coming up. And if you get a vibe for a kitty hanging out in their kitty apartment, just ask the volunteer(s) to help you say hi!

JackMann posted:

And from a practical standpoint, a bored cat on its own will destroy your stuff. If you have two, a bored cat will go and bother the other cat.

This is accurate.

ZoeDomingo
Nov 12, 2009
Thanks, everyone, for the suggestions! Geolicious, I am in the USA, so I'll look into that. I do want to take my time and make sure I find a good match. And I promise that whenever I get my new furry roommate(s), I will provide pictures.

Booger Presley
Aug 6, 2008

Pillbug
This is exciting! Looking forward to seeing some new happy additions to the thread.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

JackMann posted:

As PI so eloquently puts it: Cats are assholes, get two.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Marchegiana posted:

Well, it looks like I'm going to be fostering soon, but first some backstory:

In the spring I noticed a new cat wandering in the neighborhood that would come into my yard and roll all over my catnip. It had a flea collar, so I assumed it belonged to somebody and was mostly just annoyed. I put stakes around the catnip so the cat could no longer roll it to death and promptly forgot about it. Til a month ago, that is, when I accidentally startled this cat while coming out onto my back porch. It was hotter than Satan's ballsack outside, and the poor cat was trying to drink water out of the saucers under my flowerpots. At that point I noticed that it still had on the same flea collar from the spring, and realized it had probably been abandoned. A few days of giving her food and water warmed her up to me, and she now actively seeks me out for petting and brushings and spends a whole lot of her time on my back deck. Asking around the neighborhood and putting found cat notices online has yielded nothing.

So anyway, it just so happens I have connections with the local SPCA- not only have I been a cat foster for them in the past, but my friend works for them as the admissions administrator. She's going to do the admit consult on this cat when she comes over for our Sunday D&D game, and put her on the wait list. In the interim, I'll effectively be fostering her until room opens up at the SPCA, which will probably be in October.

Here's the cat in question:

She was horribly matted when we first started caring for her, but she's super sweet and trusting to the point where she even let me use scissors to cut off the mats that weren't close to her skin. The poor thing is so attention-starved that she'd actually rather be petted than eat. My kids have been calling her Miss Priss (mainly because of the constant look of disdain for humanity that is natural to Persians), but that's not a very adoptable name so we're looking for suggestions on a good name that will catch people's attention in the shelter.

ohhh my god

I can't afford a cat, stop wanting cats.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Boogalo posted:

I almost posted pics but figured I flooded the other cat threads enough but yeah, Milly hasn't graced this one yet.

Congrats on getting a torticat. You will not know peace and quiet for at least the next decade. Heaven have mercy on your soul.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

Boogalo posted:

What a pretty bugger!

Also, good morning everyone!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6kJONmjqkM

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Clean butterpaws!

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

Chili posted:

What a pretty bugger!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6kJONmjqkM

butters has such big feet!
also drat that tongue

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

Gorgar posted:

Clean butterpaws!

Them ain't paws, them's catcher mitts!

luloo123
Aug 25, 2008

Chili posted:

What a pretty bugger!

When you first got Butterscotch, you said that he had trouble cleaning his backside because of his weight. Has he gotten any better at it or do you still have to give him regular baths?

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Any of you guys have any experience dealing with stomatis?

My cat has it and its worrying the hell out of me, he's on antibiotics for now.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib

Alteisen posted:

Any of you guys have any experience dealing with stomatis?

My cat has it and its worrying the hell out of me, he's on antibiotics for now.

I haven't replied before this because I haven't dealt with it, but I wanted to say I hope your cat's doing okay.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

JackMann posted:

I haven't replied before this because I haven't dealt with it, but I wanted to say I hope your cat's doing okay.

Thanks for bumping, I missed that post.

Alteisen, cursory googling indicates that stomatitis looks horrible. Has your kitty gotten vet attention?

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Tomorrow he's getting a gamut of tests, x-rays and god knows what else, I am beyond worried because if they can't do anything I might have to do the unthinkable.

But yes he's had multiple visits, clean ups and even 2 teeth extracted.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
And hes off to the vet, fingers crossed.

Marchegiana
Jan 31, 2006

. . . Bitch.
So we've decided to name her Soraya- it's a Persian name that means Princess, which seemed appropriate.

She got a flea treatment yesterday, so today she came inside. She'll be sequestered in my daughters' room until we get her checked out at the vet at least. So far she seems to dig it pretty well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8aWXrG66OJ0

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Marchegiana posted:

So we've decided to name her Soraya- it's a Persian name that means Princess, which seemed appropriate.

She got a flea treatment yesterday, so today she came inside. She'll be sequestered in my daughters' room until we get her checked out at the vet at least. So far she seems to dig it pretty well.

Soraya is a treasure. Wanna hug that cat

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

Marchegiana posted:

Such a pretty cat :3:

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

Marchegiana posted:

Lookit that nice kitty leaning into the pettings. :3:

Alteisen posted:

And hes off to the vet, fingers crossed.

I am crossing all of my fingers for you.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."

Marchegiana posted:

Cat's got a v8 :drat:

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Marchegiana posted:

Oh my god, I wanna snuggle the hell outta that cat

cat_herder
Mar 17, 2010

BE GAY
DO CRIME

Soraya is beautiful, and well named!

Got through fostering two girls recently, got a newborn preemie that some awful hoarder brought in, kept him alive for five days until last night. RIP Rio, I bonded to you on accident and now I'm heartbroken.

This kitten season is absolutely brutal.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

cat_herder posted:

Soraya is beautiful, and well named!

Got through fostering two girls recently, got a newborn preemie that some awful hoarder brought in, kept him alive for five days until last night. RIP Rio, I bonded to you on accident and now I'm heartbroken.

This kitten season is absolutely brutal.

jesus. I'm sorry :smithfrog:

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Two of my fosters are at adoption event today. Fingers crossed! Had five, down to three. Yes, the cutest ones went first. But the lady that adopted Quartz, a snowshoe, has kept contact and sends me pictures all the time. Zircron was adopted last week. Which leavex Onyx, Flourite, and Jasper. Jasper is starting to get a complex, he has been to four events so far and nothing.

Mom and I work with local foster group All About Animals and only foster kittens. But last year was loving brutal. We lost four babies over the span of three months. Three were doomed from the start, I think, and the fourth died suddenly without warning overnight. Until they hit a pound and stay there, it is loving touch and go every day. At least we keep canned pumpkin and pedialyte around now. And we used to freak at ringworm. gently caress it, get some athletic foot cream and smear it on. And we're foster failures too, we've adopted five kittens as our own. But out of over 25, not bad odds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
So I'm seeing a bit of bad news peppering up again, and while I do love the support we share for each other, it's important to remember that there are a lot of success stories!

Most of the time fostering is a delightful and enriching experience.

Remember, Butterscotch started off as a foster and he's a success! Well, he's at least been a success at ruining our lives.

Here's a story:

Last night, I got out of bed at around 3, with my wife and Butterscotch fast asleep next to me. I left my laptop on knowing I'd be right back. I was just getting a quick drink of water.

When I returned:

I swear he would've stayed like this for hours. Dude was loving out.

Why didn't he? Well, his resistance to strobe-induced nausea is not shared with my wife who woke up shortly thereafter and had to run to the bathroom to puke.

Thanks, Butterscotch, you're a true American hero.