Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
Probably not. But I think NBC streams everything online if you have a cable login to give them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Oh wait never mind the Finnish national broadcasting company is doing the whole deal, that's neat.

In HEMA news, Neyman Fencing has been sitting on my mask overlay for over a month now. :argh: I like their style but sweet gently caress they can't seem to deliver a product on time.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

Olympic schedule + live stream links.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
W
Where's the longsword?

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

KyloWinter posted:

W

Where's the longsword?

Someday!

Actually, some small steps are being taken in that general direction. This October there's some kind of martial arts tournament thing at Disney World, and HEMA (longsword) will be represented there. The finals are being aired on ESPN3.

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?

KyloWinter posted:

W

Where's the longsword?

They were going to have it but then they learned you could touch legs and it got banned.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Verisimilidude posted:

Someday!

Actually, some small steps are being taken in that general direction. This October there's some kind of martial arts tournament thing at Disney World, and HEMA (longsword) will be represented there. The finals are being aired on ESPN3.

As long as the scoring system remains incomprehensible to outsiders, that wont happen. There's some factions within kendo, who wants it to become an Olympic sport, but the majority (and the Japanese) has no interest, as they'll know it'll destroy it as a martial art and turn it into a martial sport. (See: Taekwon-do)

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

What is everyone's favourite weapon to pair with a buckler? I'm having trouble getting into fighting with a buckler at the moment. I've tried it with an arming sword, a saber, messer, rapier, basket-hilt, dagger, axe and a sickle and just can't seem to get into it maybe I'm just not mible enough to really make good use of the buckler but at the moment my main tactic is to stick it out in front of me then mostly ignore it :effort:

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

That sounds like a good strategy to start with, to be honest. Also try sticking your hands together so that the buckler protects your sword hand, that's another reasonable way of using a buckler. What are you having trouble with?

ImplicitAssembler posted:

As long as the scoring system remains incomprehensible to outsiders, that wont happen. There's some factions within kendo, who wants it to become an Olympic sport, but the majority (and the Japanese) has no interest, as they'll know it'll destroy it as a martial art and turn it into a martial sport. (See: Taekwon-do)
Oh man the amount of bitching there would be on Facebook if someone actually went into a longsword tournament with a "whatever scores, gently caress the haters" mindset. :allears: I think basically every tournament ruleset I've seen hinges on the assumption people are there to do properly historical longsword and won't go out of their way to gently caress people up, and luckily people generally do that.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Not trying to troll here, but isn't kendo already fairly sportified, given the limited target, priority rules, and lightweight weapon? Or is the argument more about people wanting to lock any discretion/ambiguity out of the judging?

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
I think "sportify" is generally code word for "don't be like sport fencing where you kill yourself multiple times a bout but still get the point". Wusses.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Fencing with godmode on is plain hacking okay. :colbert: (And that's why modern pentathlon is the king of the- no wait)

Anyway, anyone feel like writing up an effortpost for the olympics in SAS? I can always write up something silly, but it might be more useful if someone who actually wears white knickers did it.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

I had a sketch of one written up awhile ago, but I don't know if I still have it.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Siivola posted:

That sounds like a good strategy to start with, to be honest. Also try sticking your hands together so that the buckler protects your sword hand, that's another reasonable way of using a buckler. What are you having trouble with?

Mostly using them effectively together. If I want to hit someone i basically forget I have a buckler and either bring it into my chest or drop it to my waist. Or if I'm defending I tend to either retreat to a weird hanging guard/buckler thrust out combination that I find it difficult to counter attack with. It becomes all martial and no art. TBH I think it'll work better when I lose a bit of weight.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Ultragonk posted:

What is everyone's favourite weapon to pair with a buckler? I'm having trouble getting into fighting with a buckler at the moment. I've tried it with an arming sword, a saber, messer, rapier, basket-hilt, dagger, axe and a sickle and just can't seem to get into it maybe I'm just not nimible enough to really make good use of the buckler but at the moment my main tactic is to stick it out in front of me then mostly ignore it :effort:

I actually have found a lot of success with buckler/arming sword by using the sword as my defensive tool to parry->bind their weapon while I close explosively and let them eat the rim of my buckler. It also takes almost no practice since you really treat the buckler more like an offensive dagger rather than a defensive aid. Unfortunately I don't have any far reaching codified examples to say this was a valid historical method (unlike the I.33 manual's direction to utilize the buckler as a sword hand guard as Siivola mentioned).

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Crazy Achmed posted:

Not trying to troll here, but isn't kendo already fairly sportified, given the limited target, priority rules, and lightweight weapon? Or is the argument more about people wanting to lock any discretion/ambiguity out of the judging?

It's a fair question and one that isn't easy to answer. Kendo still has a very strong link to it's roots. The lightweight weapons were developed in order to practice safely at full speed.
The limited targets are there to make it harder, so that you can't just play touch and at the same time, there's quality requirements on those: You have to be fully committed, it has to be done correctly and you have to maintain control after the hit. There are no priority rules.

At the same time, kendo has both a sport side and a non-sport. The majority never competes, but practices kendo simply for the sake of practicing kendo. It's also something that many people practices all their life.

The people wanting kendo in the Olympics are only interested in the sport and the money associated with it. It is primarily (some) of the Koreans, who have been working on an automatic scoring system, not unlike fencing, but there's a large faction of Europeans who are also keen.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Ultragonk posted:

Mostly using them effectively together. If I want to hit someone i basically forget I have a buckler and either bring it into my chest or drop it to my waist. Or if I'm defending I tend to either retreat to a weird hanging guard/buckler thrust out combination that I find it difficult to counter attack with. It becomes all martial and no art. TBH I think it'll work better when I lose a bit of weight.
Losing weight won't hurt, but this sounds like an issue you just have to patiently drill out. Grab a buddy, hand them a sword and then just take a proper guard with your buckler well extended towards them so that it covers your head and left side (check in a mirror) and practice parrying and returning their attacks. Unless the attack hits your buckler, only use your sword for the parry. Start off slow enough that you keep good form, speed up until it breaks and then slow down again.

...Of course, I haven't done much buckler so I might be full of poo poo! But that ought to help, I think. :v:

DandyLion posted:

I actually have found a lot of success with buckler/arming sword by using the sword as my defensive tool to parry->bind their weapon while I close explosively and let them eat the rim of my buckler. It also takes almost no practice since you really treat the buckler more like an offensive dagger rather than a defensive aid. Unfortunately I don't have any far reaching codified examples to say this was a valid historical method (unlike the I.33 manual's direction to utilize the buckler as a sword hand guard as Siivola mentioned).
It's 100% valid, I know for sure both Manciolino and the I.33 describe buckler-whipping people, and I'm willing to bet other sources do too.

Edit: Thanks for reminding I need to dive back into Manciolino and get working on his forms. I've been loving around long enough.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

DandyLion posted:

Thanks. I'll try it I'm pretty confident with a single hander only so using it as a more defensive object and using the buckler as the offensive weapon. I have hit people in the face with a buckler before when we get in close which I feel is valid as the buckle could have a spike on the front.

Siivola posted:

Losing weight won't hurt, but this sounds like an issue you just have to patiently drill out. Grab a buddy, hand them a sword and then just take a proper guard with your buckler well extended towards them so that it covers your head and left side (check in a mirror) and practice parrying and returning their attacks. Unless the attack hits your buckler, only use your sword for the parry. Start off slow enough that you keep good form, speed up until it breaks and then slow down again.

...Of course, I haven't done much buckler so I might be full of poo poo! But that ought to help, I think. :v:

Well thanks for replying that's always welcome. Its not as if we haven't spent time in class on it we've been going over the sword and buckler for the past 6 weeks but I just can't transfer it to sparring. I'll keep your advice in mind.

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Siivola posted:

Anyway, anyone feel like writing up an effortpost for the olympics in SAS? I can always write up something silly, but it might be more useful if someone who actually wears white knickers did it.

I did one last time and can put up a crappy one again if no else is. It'll be crappy because I have even less knowledge of the athletes this year. At the very least I can make sure that the gif of Choi repeating stabbing his own butt with a foil is there.

It's a fair question and one that isn't easy to answer. Kendo still has a very strong link to it's roots. The lightweight weapons were developed in order to practice safely at full speed.
The limited targets are there to make it harder, so that you can't just play touch and at the same time, there's quality requirements on those: You have to be fully committed, it has to be done correctly and you have to maintain control after the hit. There are no priority rules.

There are no priority rules, but attacks have to be done correctly? I fail to see the difference.

dupersaurus posted:

I think "sportify" is generally code word for "don't be like sport fencing where you kill yourself multiple times a bout but still get the point". Wusses.

"Sportify" seems to be a scareword nowadays. I just don't really understand the fear of creating rules for competition when you have active competitions.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

BirdOfPlay posted:

At the very least I can make sure that the gif of Choi repeating stabbing his own butt with a foil is there.

That's really all it needs

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

BirdOfPlay posted:

There are no priority rules, but attacks have to be done correctly? I fail to see the difference.

? There's no right of way. Who ever lands first (with sufficient quality) gets the point. There's also no such thing as simultaneous hits. Actually, that's not quite true, but 'officially' you have to make a decision...and they usually get it right.

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

dupersaurus posted:

That's really all it needs

Done.

? There's no right of way. Who ever lands first (with sufficient quality) gets the point. There's also no such thing as simultaneous hits. Actually, that's not quite true, but 'officially' you have to make a decision...and they usually get it right.

Ehh, I was being a :spergin: about how those two things are functionally identical in fencing.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

BirdOfPlay posted:

Ehh, I was being a :spergin: about how those two things are functionally identical in fencing.
I should point out that in kendo, an important part of a quality hit is running away from your opponent while screaming as hard as you can. If that's missing, the actual touch doesn't matter.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Siivola posted:

I should point out that in kendo, an important part of a quality hit is running away from your opponent while screaming as hard as you can. If that's missing, the actual touch doesn't matter.
Huh. Sounds worse than epee.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Less facetiously, you need to show that you're ready to attack again so you need to take some space.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Yeah, sorry, I guess priority isn't the right word - but kendo's rules seem like a similar concept in the respect that you can touch your opponent (on target) and not score unless you're doing it right.

I can understand wanting to avoid the money and politics side that would come with getting it into the olympics - fencing politics is bloody awful stuff and I'm in a similar camp of staying as far away from it as I can, and just wanting to practise it out of enjoyment. I think it's a little harsh to say that the Koreans and Europeans are only after money, though, surely there's also a strong element of wanting glory and to bring kendo to a wider audience?

On a related note, assuming it's not :filez: what's the best way to watch fencing (or pentathlon, the epee sounds like it should be entertaining) at the Olympics this year? Delayed coverage is just fine with me too: here in New Zealand we don't broadcast poo poo unless it's rugby, rowing, or horses. Even the pay TV's schedule seems to have a ridiculously narrow range on its 10 pop-up channels, with the remainder of time being dead air or replays.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Crazy Achmed posted:

I think it's a little harsh to say that the Koreans and Europeans are only after money, though, surely there's also a strong element of wanting glory and to bring kendo to a wider audience?

Right, it's a little unfair. Certain European factions want it in the Olympics, so that they can get Olympic funding from their respective governments and thus spread it further, etc.
Certain Korean factions are definitely in it for making professional leagues, etc.
The majority of the kendo population, however, is against it. Just look at both Judo and Taekwon-do and how diluted they've become since becoming Olympic sports.
The sporting aspect of kendo is only a small part of it, so the fear is that by becoming popular (and the compromises that would entail), it would destroy the other parts.
This article just popped up on my feed and touches some of the issues nicely:
http://www.wattention.com/opinion-kendo-and-the-2020-tokyo-olympics/

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Crazy Achmed posted:

On a related note, assuming it's not :filez: what's the best way to watch fencing (or pentathlon, the epee sounds like it should be entertaining) at the Olympics this year? Delayed coverage is just fine with me too: here in New Zealand we don't broadcast poo poo unless it's rugby, rowing, or horses. Even the pay TV's schedule seems to have a ridiculously narrow range on its 10 pop-up channels, with the remainder of time being dead air or replays.
If your broadcasters don't have any kind of web stream, check this thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3785657

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

So I've just gotten back from a session. We had a newish guy there that is enthusiastic about the long sword but hasn't done much with it. So we went through the master cuts and I sparred with him a bit gave him some advice before saying I'd mostly defend so he could get used to going through the master cuts and get used to the movement, I said don't worry about when you hit me just keep attacking until you can't etc... He battered poo poo out of me so much so that after about the 20th hit when he came at me again I just stabbed him in the throat to get some rest, then he came back at me so I hit him in the head and came back at me so I managed a good mittlehau to the ribs before letting him batter me some more. I am going to be so sore in the morning. He was so thankful and enthuseastic about it helping him get the forms correct though, it made it all worth it :D

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Right, it's a little unfair. Certain European factions want it in the Olympics, so that they can get Olympic funding from their respective governments and thus spread it further, etc.
Certain Korean factions are definitely in it for making professional leagues, etc.
The majority of the kendo population, however, is against it. Just look at both Judo and Taekwon-do and how diluted they've become since becoming Olympic sports.
The sporting aspect of kendo is only a small part of it, so the fear is that by becoming popular (and the compromises that would entail), it would destroy the other parts.
This article just popped up on my feed and touches some of the issues nicely:
http://www.wattention.com/opinion-kendo-and-the-2020-tokyo-olympics/

Good article. The optimist in me would like to believe that you could bring kendo into Olympic competition and still keep the spirit, rules and conventions the same - I disagree with the article in that I think that (the sport aspect of) kendo is quite similar to fencing. For example there are similar etiquette rules that can get you carded for seemingly arbitrary gaffes like using your gloved hand to shake hands with your opponent, or saluting after instead of before you put your mask on. And the concept of not being able to score unless you strike with spirit and control is an analagous concept to fencing priority - fencing was in the olympics for decades with no electronics, relying on the judgement of multiple experienced refs just like kendo.

But sadly, I understand what you're saying: the reality would end up being that the money and glory would likely be too much of a temptation to push every edge case in order to score, and lead to a clusterfuck of bitter feuds over whether a judge made the correct call or not. I mean, look at the Shin vs Heidemann match from the last olympics where even electronic scoring and video replays couldn't prevent this kind of bullshit from happening. And let's not even get into doping :(
I'm not familiar enough with Judo or Taekwon-do - beyond that rear end in a top hat kicking the ref in the faceback in 2008 - but I'm guessing the situation is something similar to what I described?

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

I know a tiny bit about judo and while I don't know about any ref drama, I think it's a pretty good example of the dangers of the Olympics. It's still got the importance of etiquette and it's still completely visually reffed, and I think it still "looks like proper judo". But I think becoming an Olympic sport's put a spotlight on certain grey areas, like the difference between an ippon and a waza-ari or the time allowed for matwork, and it's definitely introduced some weird rules like the ban on attacking the legs (which might go away after the games) which is supposed to make judo look less like freestyle wrestling, or something. Becoming a big sport lets people from the outside come tell you what your thing ought to look like, y'know? I bet the same thing's already happening with kendo, with its big televised championships and everything.

But more importantly, becoming a big sport marginalizes the things that are not relevant to the sport, which I think is the bigger loss. There's only so many hours people can practice, so if they're 100% serious about competing they probably should not bother with stuff like kata. Or, for that matter, any technique that's not suitable for their body type, either. And that in turn directs the coaching, which means that if you would like to learn kata, you have to work extra hard to find the club that teaches those. I know my university judo club doesn't, for instance, which means I'd have to pay extra for it.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Crazy Achmed posted:

Good article. The optimist in me would like to believe that you could bring kendo into Olympic competition and still keep the spirit, rules and conventions the same - I disagree with the article in that I think that (the sport aspect of) kendo is quite similar to fencing. For example there are similar etiquette rules that can get you carded for seemingly arbitrary gaffes like using your gloved hand to shake hands with your opponent, or saluting after instead of before you put your mask on. And the concept of not being able to score unless you strike with spirit and control is an analagous concept to fencing priority - fencing was in the olympics for decades with no electronics, relying on the judgement of multiple experienced refs just like kendo.

But sadly, I understand what you're saying: the reality would end up being that the money and glory would likely be too much of a temptation to push every edge case in order to score, and lead to a clusterfuck of bitter feuds over whether a judge made the correct call or not. I mean, look at the Shin vs Heidemann match from the last olympics where even electronic scoring and video replays couldn't prevent this kind of bullshit from happening. And let's not even get into doping :(
I'm not familiar enough with Judo or Taekwon-do - beyond that rear end in a top hat kicking the ref in the faceback in 2008 - but I'm guessing the situation is something similar to what I described?

The main problem with kendo is that scoring is incomprehensible to the outsider and even with an experienced commentator, you would end up using a bunch of kendo-specific terms to describe why one point scored and the other didn't. This means that they would have to simplify the scoring, probably make it electronic and they would remove the referees. (Who, to be honest, aren't good enough at world level any way, but that's a different story).

In Judo, people started to become very good at *not losing*, so rather than having only full points, they introduced half/quarter points. The etiquette went out of the window too and even went so far that one American sued because bowing was against his religion.
Taekwon-do turned into a game of tag. They then introduced electronic scoring, which required X-amount of force for it to score, but the system doesn't work very well. I haven't watched any of the TKD from this year yet, so not sure if it has improved.

In general, the basics of the martial arts suffered. People sacrificed the fundamental principles of their MAs in order to win. The MA's themselves sacrificed their principles for the spectacle and as a result, it became ugly and meaningless.
In that sense, fencing is in a much better place. It has had much longer time to sort it self out and apart from sabre, I don't think it has really changed much over the last 30 years.
I personally think sabre fencing isn't really working, with only superficial contact with the lame being enough to score. They should probably put a button on the tip and deactive the top 2 inches of the cutting edge (or something similar), forcing them to make substantial contact rather than how it is now...anyways, I digress and I need to get work done.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

Let's not forget the failed attempt at the clear masks!

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Well, I'm watching BBC coverage of the women's individual foil right now and the comentator is so bad I have to take a break from it. I can understand that they might not have actual fencing-savvy commentators available, but it seems like nobody even gave this guy a cheat sheet on what the rules are and he's just making stuff and terminology up as he goes.
For example: fencer A attacks, B counterattacks into it, both hit target. Fencer A wins the point as she established a threat and B did not succesfully evade or remove the threat - this is how I'd explain it to someone who was new to foil.
Their explanation? "Both fencers hit each other's protective strike zones, but the referee feels that fencer A's tip got to the strike zone sooner."

Similarly, fencer B runs fencer A down to the end of the piste, they collide (gently), the ref calls a halt just before fencer A accidentally lands a touch on target - which is disallowed since it happened after the ref stopped the bout. Simple enough, right? The comentator seemed utterly confused about this turn of events, describing it as "good fighting at close range in that striped defensive zone, fencer A strikes into fencer B's strike zone but the referee has decided that nobody scores a point".

That reminds me, I need to try and iron a crease out of my protective strike zone - the seam around the front thigh has a tendency to fold over and cover a little bit of target.

[edit]Jesus. "Both get the strike light come in... on, but... no!" Translation: attack lands on target, counter lands on target but has no priority because the threat was not removed or evaded.

Crazy Achmed fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Aug 10, 2016

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

If anyone wants to be horrified, r/the_donald has taken a pretty deep dislike to Ibtihaj Muhammad.

I swear I only go there ironically.

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Crazy Achmed posted:

Well, I'm watching BBC coverage of the women's individual foil right now and the comentator is so bad I have to take a break from it. I can understand that they might not have actual fencing-savvy commentators available, but it seems like nobody even gave this guy a cheat sheet on what the rules are and he's just making stuff and terminology up as he goes.
For example: fencer A attacks, B counterattacks into it, both hit target. Fencer A wins the point as she established a threat and B did not succesfully evade or remove the threat - this is how I'd explain it to someone who was new to foil.
Their explanation? "Both fencers hit each other's protective strike zones, but the referee feels that fencer A's tip got to the strike zone sooner."

Similarly, fencer B runs fencer A down to the end of the piste, they collide (gently), the ref calls a halt just before fencer A accidentally lands a touch on target - which is disallowed since it happened after the ref stopped the bout. Simple enough, right? The comentator seemed utterly confused about this turn of events, describing it as "good fighting at close range in that striped defensive zone, fencer A strikes into fencer B's strike zone but the referee has decided that nobody scores a point".

That reminds me, I need to try and iron a crease out of my protective strike zone - the seam around the front thigh has a tendency to fold over and cover a little bit of target.

[edit]Jesus. "Both get the strike light come in... on, but... no!" Translation: attack lands on target, counter lands on target but has no priority because the threat was not removed or evaded.

You have to be making GBS threads me.

Also, you should go to the Olympics subforum. We've got a thread there and everything.

Neon Belly posted:

If anyone wants to be horrified, r/the_donald has taken a pretty deep dislike to Ibtihaj Muhammad.

I swear I only go there ironically.

You warned me, but I still went. :negative:

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

What is a soldier but a miserable pile of eaten cats and strange language?
Has this been here before? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4GoQlvc_H3s

Really awesome short film about Fiore.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

For some reason I've neglected to drill with my freeplay kit on and oh my gently caress I've been dumb it's really loving important. I hadn't even realized I was pausing between my parry and my riposte because I'd been drilling it too slow and careful.

I'm starting to figure out why people might want to wear gloves while drilling. :downs:

Edit: Speaking of gloves, Helsinki Bolognese Open's coming up and I think I need to order a pair of Red Dragons if I want to compete. I don't trust any other company making five-fingered gloves to get them done by November. This loving hobby. :shepspends:

Siivola fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Aug 15, 2016

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Siivola posted:

I don't trust any other company making five-fingered gloves to get them done by November. This loving hobby. :shepspends:

I'm not a fencer, yet, but would love to get into it. I followed the streams during the Olympics and they made it look fun even without knowing the meaning of everything discussed (priority, double hits sometime being worth 0/1/both fencers 1, etc.)

I refuse to chop off fingers just to wear decent gloves, though :captainpop:. Exactly how many fingers do you need to fence?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

DerekSmartymans posted:

I'm not a fencer, yet, but would love to get into it. I followed the streams during the Olympics and they made it look fun even without knowing the meaning of everything discussed (priority, double hits sometime being worth 0/1/both fencers 1, etc.)
Different weapons have different rule sets.

quote:

I refuse to chop off fingers just to wear decent gloves, though :captainpop:. Exactly how many fingers do you need to fence?

Olympic fencing? 2 or 3. But having more is a plus.