Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dreamy Souffle
Feb 22, 2011

Just cause
I like my diamonds bright
ain't saying I'm wrong
or if it's right but baby
I haven't been wrong before

Pollyanna posted:

Is it worth using Flash and Sonic Bombs against Nargacuga, or should I just git gud? I'm having a gently caress of a time against it.

It's worth noting that while Sonic Bombs will very briefly stun Nargacuga, they also enrage it immediately after. So, they're good if you want that tail cut, but not so much if you're still getting the hang of the fight. I'd recommend, well, being patient and getting a feel for how it moves. Hang back if you gotta. :shobon: But also if it's not a capture quest it may not hurt to bring shock traps for safe damage, if you aren't already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.
Oh dear, I tried out adept HBG in an arena quest and I think I'm in love. What kinda skills should I be aiming for with a gunner set?

I have absolutely never gunned before in my life

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Dreamy Souffle posted:

It's worth noting that while Sonic Bombs will very briefly stun Nargacuga, they also enrage it immediately after. So, they're good if you want that tail cut, but not so much if you're still getting the hang of the fight. I'd recommend, well, being patient and getting a feel for how it moves. Hang back if you gotta. :shobon: But also if it's not a capture quest it may not hurt to bring shock traps for safe damage, if you aren't already.

Blahhhh, yeah, that's kind of been my experience. I just need...3 Narga Fangs, 2 Narga Blackfurs, and 1 Narga Cutwing to finally get the Narga set, and it's taking quite a while. I only ever get scales 'n poo poo (Monster Bone L :argh:). Is there a way to influence which parts I get?

Refried Hero
Jan 22, 2006

King of the grill

Skippy Granola posted:

Oh dear, I tried out adept HBG in an arena quest and I think I'm in love. What kinda skills should I be aiming for with a gunner set?

I have absolutely never gunned before in my life

There are a lot of great skills for bowguns, but they really start coming into play in HR/late game (Load Up, for example).

A good starting point is the gunner ceanataur set, which has Ammo Saver - sometimes you don't use ammo when you shoot.

Some of the other good skills are Unscathed, Normal/Rapid Up, Load Up (loading on the skill tree), Shot Booster (dead eye on the skill tree), and for light bowguns, all the status skills (status up, elemental up, etc.).

Edit: almost forgot all the obvious ones trying to think of the damage ones - recoil, deviation, and reload speed skills are also super nice.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.
What does Dead Eye do exactly? Extend the critical range for shots?

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009
Sonic bombs are super useful against Narga if you are running Challenger+2 :getin:

Squidtentacle
Jul 25, 2016

Pollyanna posted:

Blahhhh, yeah, that's kind of been my experience. I just need...3 Narga Fangs, 2 Narga Blackfurs, and 1 Narga Cutwing to finally get the Narga set, and it's taking quite a while. I only ever get scales 'n poo poo (Monster Bone L :argh:). Is there a way to influence which parts I get?

All you can ever really do is break and hope. Break his wings for cutwings, break his face for fangs, I think. Some things also have a better chance when you capture than when you carve, but that's about it.

I downloaded MHGen DB for my phone (the one with a Felyne face as the icon) and it's been a pretty big lifesaver. Super easy way to check what items come from what and what the chances are for each kind of drop.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Dreamy Souffle posted:

The enrage thing for nargacuga tail cut doesn't seem to be a thing anymore fwiw. Maybe it makes it easier to damage though, I forget.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Squidtentacle posted:

All you can ever really do is break and hope. Break his wings for cutwings, break his face for fangs, I think. Some things also have a better chance when you capture than when you carve, but that's about it.

I downloaded MHGen DB for my phone (the one with a Felyne face as the icon) and it's been a pretty big lifesaver. Super easy way to check what items come from what and what the chances are for each kind of drop.

Breaking body parts takes about as long as just plain killing a monster, in my experience. Do I need to run particular skills or weapons for those? Is impact damage/Hammer better for breaking than cutting/GS or SA?

Refried Hero
Jan 22, 2006

King of the grill

Skippy Granola posted:

What does Dead Eye do exactly? Extend the critical range for shots?

Pretty much exactly that, yeah.

Squidtentacle
Jul 25, 2016

Pollyanna posted:

Breaking body parts takes about as long as just plain killing a monster, in my experience. Do I need to run particular skills or weapons for those? Is impact damage/Hammer better for breaking than cutting/GS or SA?

Partbreaker is a skill that breaks them faster, but no, there's not something better for doing that across the board. However, weaker zones will naturally be easier to break than stronger ones. For example, you'll want to hit Nargacuga's head or tail a lot because they're weak, and those break really quickly because you're doing more damage to them. The wings, meanwhile, are harder, and will take more effort to break, like spirit combos with a LS or sword attacks with SA. Or just better sharpness than what you get at low rank. Then there are zones that are really hard for cutting weapons to pierce, but blunt weapons don't bounce off at all, so in those cases impact is a better choice.

For Nargacuga, I break the head with a couple of Adept LS post-dodge spirit slashes. The tail takes more effort, but I can usually get a break and then a cut before it dies. It's really just a matter of practice.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Tails can only be cut off with cutting damage (though I think Duramboros's tail can be broken off with either?), most other things an be broken with either but some take more damage and will thus break faster from one or the other. And most parts break significantly faster than it takes to kill the monster, you just need to actually hit the parts; in every game I've played so far I can have every or almost every part broken for most monsters before said monster dies, with only things with a particularly difficult/obnoxious part (Mizu claws, Teostra horns, etc.) sometimes not having it all broken by the end.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I just literally wailed on Nargacuga's wings the entire fight and they still didn't break by the end of it, so gently caress if I know what I'm doing wrong. Probably lots of things. I'm just gonna move on with the game.

Squidtentacle
Jul 25, 2016

Nargacuga's wings are a bitch and a half so don't worry too much about it. Just come back later if you're tired of it! That's the good part about this game, Generations especially; you can just move on to whatever else you want to make progress on if you're getting frustrated with one particular thing.

SilverGryphon
Oct 14, 2012

This might just be fun after all.
You could also send out your Hunters for Hire on Narga quests. I get tons of Cutwings and other break bits from those. And send your Meownster Hunters after Narga too, sometimes they'll bring back stuff.

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Respectable Bespectacled Receptacle

Pollyanna posted:

I just literally wailed on Nargacuga's wings the entire fight and they still didn't break by the end of it, so gently caress if I know what I'm doing wrong. Probably lots of things. I'm just gonna move on with the game.

If you're playing online, get a goon group and sleep bomb the wings if you need em. Otherwise the main thing that gets newbies when fighting Narga tends to be how it jumps way off to the side and then charges in from a different angle. It's a really obvious tell when you get a feel for it, sort of like Zinogre's big back jump that always leads to him charging up. Anyway, If you also have issues with his huge tail slam, there's a clear audio cue for it. The physical cue looks similar to him swinging his tail for the spine throws if I remember correctly, but the audio is pretty clear.

If nothing else works, I recommend looking up a video guide on YouTube for tips. He's a fun fight and I'm sad Barioth and Sand Barioth aren't in the game, because now Narga's basically alone in his fighting style. The next closest thing, deviant aside, is probably Tigrex, which is a much different fight.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Roland Jones posted:

HR 4+ is High Rank. Village High Rank-equivalent quests don't show up until 6*; HR 1-3 cover village 1*-5* and some of 6*.

Ah, thanks. I guess it's gonna be a while, then. :(

I'm still scared of online and its weird systems.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

you should just jump in

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Pollyanna posted:

I only ever get scales 'n poo poo (Monster Bone L :argh:). Is there a way to influence which parts I get?

find a need for monster bone l or nargacuga scales and you will never carve either one ever again

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I just struck loving gold and got a worn C. Blade, now I can get teostra's charge blade :woop:

Can Meownster Hunters or Hunters for Hire get me the earth crystals and monster broth I need on the way?

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Nope

Monster broth isn't too bad there's a quest in like hr5 or 6 or some poo poo to kill like a ton of konchu in the arena go do that

Earth crystal well hope you've been mining p much

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Locke Dunnegan posted:

If you're playing online, get a goon group and sleep bomb the wings if you need em. Otherwise the main thing that gets newbies when fighting Narga tends to be how it jumps way off to the side and then charges in from a different angle. It's a really obvious tell when you get a feel for it, sort of like Zinogre's big back jump that always leads to him charging up. Anyway, If you also have issues with his huge tail slam, there's a clear audio cue for it. The physical cue looks similar to him swinging his tail for the spine throws if I remember correctly, but the audio is pretty clear.

If nothing else works, I recommend looking up a video guide on YouTube for tips. He's a fun fight and I'm sad Barioth and Sand Barioth aren't in the game, because now Narga's basically alone in his fighting style. The next closest thing, deviant aside, is probably Tigrex, which is a much different fight.

I wasn't even aware there was a significant online component to the game. :pwn: I thought it was just local multiplayer. Do they actually have groups/guilds in this, or is it just more friend-code fuckery?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Rascyc posted:

Nope

Monster broth isn't too bad there's a quest in like hr5 or 6 or some poo poo to kill like a ton of konchu in the arena go do that

Earth crystal well hope you've been mining p much

I had hundreds of the damned things then went on a selling spree for upgrade cash :suicide:

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Pollyanna posted:

I wasn't even aware there was a significant online component to the game. :pwn: I thought it was just local multiplayer. Do they actually have groups/guilds in this, or is it just more friend-code fuckery?

four man rooms. you can join with room codes or search by criteria like monster and hr level. they can be passworded for playing with friends or w/e. its like, the biggest part of the game ha ha

join the discord if you want to play with goons, we're all nice https://discord.gg/010TYZtEGCse1UZ57

lets hang out fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Aug 7, 2016

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Are Glavenus weapons blast or what? Got the materials to make the Scorching Demander but I already have two other fire cbs and I might be overdoing it

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Calaveron posted:

Are Glavenus weapons blast or what? Got the materials to make the Scorching Demander but I already have two other fire cbs and I might be overdoing it

The regular Glavenus weapons are fire. Deviant Glavenus is blast.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Allarion posted:

The regular Glavenus weapons are fire. Deviant Glavenus is blast.

Ah, might as well take the parts and start working on his armor set then because I'm self conscious doing Guild 4 quests with Bujabujabu

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Ciaphas posted:

I had hundreds of the damned things then went on a selling spree for upgrade cash :suicide:
That sucks dude. I could have sworn we had a big post somewhere that said in all caps to never sell earth crystal cause boy will you regret it if you do :(

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Kirin is dumb and bad

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
No way should Plesioth's hip checks hit that hard, fast, and have such range. It's so unfair.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Rascyc posted:

That sucks dude. I could have sworn we had a big post somewhere that said in all caps to never sell earth crystal cause boy will you regret it if you do :(

Well, mining em didn't take too long at least, and thanks for the protip on the konchus. Now I just gotta get a couple Teostra Horns, which means Teostra HR, which means dealing with the dumb rear end LR elder dragon quest shuffling mechanic argh.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
I can't find an end game armor set for guild/striker lance that I like :negative:. After fighting Silver Rath I am also soon realizing the Spiked Javelin isn't going to be great for everything, but that's less of an issue.

insanityv2
May 15, 2011

I'm gay
I use s narga for my striker lancing. It works p well if you are used to evade lancing.

You'd need a mixed set for guard lancing if u want guard up and guard+1/2. Or just go adept.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
how can i do the prowler quest where you have to break the hermitaur shell? I keep killing him before it breaks.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
I got a +8 attack 3 slot talisman while charm farming, how much better can a pure attack talisman get? After way too many runs trying to get that bow talisman it's nice to get something good.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
I've seen a 10 expert so theoretically you can do a bit better but 8 is plenty, especially with the slots.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Fauxtool posted:

how can i do the prowler quest where you have to break the hermitaur shell? I keep killing him before it breaks.

Use a blunt weapon if you aren't already. I just focused on the shell, and tried to mount it when I can.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Rascyc posted:

Deviant is pretty much the last progression to thing to do. Find a new goal or put the game down p much. Usually people medal chase at that point if they care enough.

Speaking of, what the hell are the Awards you get sometimes and how do you look at them?

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Fuzz posted:

Speaking of, what the hell are the Awards you get sometimes and how do you look at them?

They're on your guild card

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
Well, yesterday I made a great sword out of crab claws and killed a Sand/Shark/Wyvern horror show with it. I have no idea what I'm shooting for early game or what I need my cat dudes to do or even have a replacement armor for my starter stuff but I'm having fun with it.

Aerial greatsword sounds fun. Are there any other ways to activate the hunter skills or so a I have to hit the button on my touchpad each time?

• Locked thread