Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Likchenpa.
In the comic Jesse is a white hat cowboy, someone who must wander and right wrongs, who won't back down from doing the right thing even when he screws up. He is absolutely the one person who should have the voice of God, and Starr is absolutely correct that Jesse is a perfect Messiah, but not in the way he expected. Show Jesse seems to have started from a completely different angle (which isn't a bad thing!) but I think the show will eventually mold him into something morally upright like comic Jesse, given time.
Edit: I really think Ennis wrote Jesse as a reaction to the then-current trend of having morally ambiguous antiheroes everywhere, as a statement that a traditional hero could absolutely make an interesting story; imho, Ennis succeeds in this. It's an interesting parallel with his later character Butcher, who is absolutely a reaction to comic book superhero infantilism and moral shallowness that was prevalent in major comics at the time (Johns, etc.)

Kulkasha fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Aug 5, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Von_Doom posted:

No way Jose. The Dude abides so I will not tell you to shut up your stupid face but instead... please reconsider your incorrect opinion my good sir.

the coen's have done much better

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

Jose posted:

once or twice maybe

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Jose posted:

Well yeah, but they're the Coens, that's kind of their thing - they keep (mostly) doing amazing poo poo. The Big Lebowski is great.

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe
Count me in as somebody who doesn't "get" The Big Lebowski.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Me too. I've only liked three Coen Brothers movies though (Raising Arizona, True Grit, Hail Caesar) so it's probably just me.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
What about Garfield?

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.

WickedHate posted:

What about Garfield?

Well, he apparently hates Mondays, but that's all I remember.

ACRE & EQUAT
Aug 28, 2004

FUNERAL BREADS
WAR BREAD

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Cassidy, please. That man had a family.

~Jesse~

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Likchenpa.
Please tell me that's not a edit.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
"This uh, Genesis thing...what is it?"
"Imagine four balls on the edge of a cliff..."

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

pigdog posted:

The only reason I watch it is for Walter, and there are enough supercuts on Youtube for that already.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Not even Sam Elliott?

You can never get enough Sam Elliott.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Data Graham posted:

Not even Sam Elliott?

You can never get enough Sam Elliott.

Oh, him too - but he's not really a cast member so much as a 'cameo.'

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

What's the best Coen movie and why is it O Brother

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

The correct answer is "No Country For Old Men"

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Raising Arizona will always have a special place in my heart because it was the first Coens film I ever saw, but yeah No Country for Old Men has to be their best. Barton Fink is pretty incredible too.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
No Country is not out because of the way Llewellyn leaves the movie. We spent two thirds watching this dude battle it out and he dies off screen? Tommy Lee Jones sucks a lot of the life out of the movie

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Miler's Crossing is the correct answer to the question: What is the best Coen brothers movie?

I do wish they had gone with the "God quit" from the comic, instead of "God is missing". I suppose, regarding Jesse's speech at the end about finding God, they'll bring up that revelation later, but I think going with the comic version would have made more sense with the townspeople reaction to the news about God.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Ammanas posted:

No Country is not out because of the way Llewellyn leaves the movie. We spent two thirds watching this dude battle it out and he dies off screen? Tommy Lee Jones sucks a lot of the life out of the movie

He died off-screen in the book too, only more heroically and in character compared to the movie

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Davros1 posted:

Miler's Crossing is the correct answer to the question: What is the best Coen brothers movie?

I do wish they had gone with the "God quit" from the comic, instead of "God is missing". I suppose, regarding Jesse's speech at the end about finding God, they'll bring up that revelation later, but I think going with the comic version would have made more sense with the townspeople reaction to the news about God.

That is such an amazing underrated movie. For me they make two kinds of movies: serious and absurd. Absurd covers Raising Arizona, O Brother and Lebowski. Serious are more Blood Simple, Millers and No Country. They are both drat fine but sometimes you are in more of a Miller's Crossing mood than Hail Caesar.

Usually if someone hasn't seen much of the Coen's work I try and get them to watch at least 4 of their films. Miller's Crossing is always my top "serious Coen" pick. Everything about that film is stellar.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

MrAristocrates posted:

What's the best Coen movie and why is it O Brother

agreed and idk why i like it so much and george clooney isn't even singing

Filthy Casual
Aug 13, 2014

Jose posted:

agreed and idk why i like it so much and george clooney isn't even singing

Its because he's a Dapper Dan man that don't take no Fop from anybody.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Unpopular opinion time: I realize it isn't their best, but my FAVORITE Coen Brothers movie is The Hudsucker Proxy. It's a gorgeous movie, and I love the old-timey screwball comedy dialogue, especially Jennifer Jason Leigh's rapid-fire Transatlantic accent.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Miller's Crossing is excellent, agreed.

I think my takeway from this discussion is that I want to watch a whole bunch of Coens films again. :allears:

Filthy Casual posted:

Its because he's a Dapper Dan man that don't take no Fop from anybody.

Yeah but is he bonafide?

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I really like Miller's Crossing, but didn't like The Glass Key that much when I read it.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

I enjoyed The Ladykillers.

Rubber Tucky
Oct 14, 2004

Next time I will pay attention while choosing my thread tags.

shame on an IGA posted:

I enjoyed The Ladykillers.

Get.

Out.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

I need to rewatch No Country, because upon first watch I thought it was fairly mediocre :shrug:

I love Raising Arizona, though, and Fargo is also top-tier Coen Brothers. The soundtrack to O Brother is probably the best OST from their films, though.

Ladykillers was entertaining enough for one watch through, won't ever watch it again though!

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

pigdog posted:

I didn't like The Big Lebowski either. Cassidy is my soulmate. :allears:

:vince:

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
I was really hoping that while "God" was doing his schtick, Jesse would use the Word to tell him to cut that poo poo out.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Mortanis posted:

I was really hoping that while "God" was doing his schtick, Jesse would use the Word to tell him to cut that poo poo out.

Yeah, I was waiting for the iconic "Cut the poo poo, will you?" and having the guy go from looking like a Christian coloring book version God to looking like Wallace Shawn or something, nasally voice and all.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Gotta disagree with a lot of goons here, I thought this show started off really strong and then just kept getting stronger.

I had no idea about the comics or anything at all really when I started watching. I loved how loving weird everything was and the weirdness and mystery o fwhat the gently caress was going on kept me interested. All the characters were fun and interesting as well and that is what really hooked me. I love the vampire

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Zzulu posted:

Gotta disagree with a lot of goons here, I thought this show started off really strong and then just kept getting stronger.

I had no idea about the comics or anything at all really when I started watching. I loved how loving weird everything was and the weirdness and mystery o fwhat the gently caress was going on kept me interested. All the characters were fun and interesting as well and that is what really hooked me. I love the vampire

Anyone who said it didn't get a lot stronger is pretty wrong. I think what most people are annoyed about is that we were told we were watching Season 1, when in truth we were watching Season 0. Since, you know, everyone's time is seriously ~precious~ and being forced to watch a 10 episode prologue irks some people.

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

Jose posted:

cassidy is completely correct about the big lebowski imo

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny

KilGrey posted:

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Can't wait for someone to say that to Cassidy and get punched in the face.

(I love The Big Lebowski but I also love every scene where Cassidy is bashing it.)

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Everyone that's still going by the comics and insisting "Oh this was Chapter 0, and all those characters are dead so waste of time," need to give the show a little more credit. This is a universe where you can hop a bus to heaven or hell. Where, unlike the comic from what I've seen here, one major character IS in hell.

I think it's likely we'll get to see almost all of those characters again, in one form or another. The major ones anyway. I suspect that Arseface's father is in hell given one of his last acts, for example, which is right where his son is. Death doesn't have to be the flat-end in a show like this, something we've actually seen a few times.

I could be wrong but if you're basing this off the comics, I think it's pretty obvious even to a non-comic reader they're throwing all the rules out on this one.

Ammanas posted:

I get the style reasons why but I too was incredibly eye-rolling when the tense plot we'd followed for 3/4 of the movie abruptly came to an end. Not because it did, mind you, but it wasn't like some Game of Thrones poo poo where the sudden turn fueled anything else.

No, it was staring at Tommy Lee Jones having mind numbing conversations that I didn't give two shits about. I know people will defend it, but it was just lovely.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I'm okay with a bunch of tertiary charcters dying. It's not "wrong" to establish and build up characters to kill them off, in fact that makes their deaths have more impact

As long as the vampire man survives, I am ok

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

Blazing Ownager posted:

No, it was staring at Tommy Lee Jones having mind numbing conversations that I didn't give two shits about. I know people will defend it, but it was just lovely.

I thought it was a really poignant ending, with a sad old man realizing that the world has always been senselessly violent, preceded by the 'hero' dying ignobly, and punctuated by the villain going into the distance in an obvious parody of the hero riding off into the sunset in old cowboy movies. The whole movie is a takedown of misplaced romanticization of the old West in American culture in particular, and romanticization of the "good ole days" in human culture in general. TLJ's dialogue states all of this, couched in metaphor.
So no, it wasn't lovely, it was brilliant you philistine

• Locked thread