Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
I'm looking forward to what will inevitably be another awesome opening segment for an HBO show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

Wait a minute...

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Looking forward to this show very much. Jonah Nolan's last show just ended and has me pretty confident in what he'll be able to do with purely serialized AI storytelling.

My only regret is someone made this thread before I could. :argh:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Zaggitz posted:

My only regret is someone made this thread before I could. :argh:

A year ago no less. I just came in here after seeing the trailers and saw posts from June saying it was coming out in July... Took me a bit to figure out they were from last summer.

Guess this one's been in the works for a while.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Regy Rusty posted:

A year ago no less. I just came in here after seeing the trailers and saw posts from June saying it was coming out in July... Took me a bit to figure out they were from last summer.

Guess this one's been in the works for a while.

If this thing gets a second season all the actors are going to be very visibly aged

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
I watched the movie last night, and I have to say it was fun if a bit short. I can definitely see how it appealed to Nolan after watching PoI.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Oh hey Vinyl got cancelled wonder why

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Unless this season hits the ground running I think it will be cancelled too, to be honest

Crash74
May 11, 2009

Koirhor posted:

Oh hey Vinyl got cancelled wonder why

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Zaggitz posted:

For the record, Jonah Nolan co-writes most of his brother's movies, notable exception being Inception. He also created Person of Interest which features one of if not the best depiction of Artificial Intelligence in both film and movies. Westworld is a passion project between him and his wife and given his personal track record, should be pretty loving amazing.

He is a good writer.

http://www.esquire.com/entertainment/books/a1564/memento-mori-0301/

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Has there been any more news about him working on Foundation?

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Looks like we finally have a date for this show.

October 2nd is the premiere. Can't wait.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

MrBling posted:

Looks like we finally have a date for this show.

October 2nd is the premiere. Can't wait.

Nice, I'd just assumed it would be late October

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
They probably want to beat TWD and the other fall shows to the punch, hoping to make this the new GoT.

An old college buddy worked on the production crew and had some awesome things to say about it, but I also read some pretty shady stuff about the contracts the extras had to sign. Hopefully this doesn't turn into another Luck, I really dig the premise and they got an amazing cast.

Fingers crossed...

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

I thought Luck had bad ratings and or reviews for the cost of production, so the dead horses thing was just a convenient out for them to take so they could cancel the show.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
They do need a new flagship. They went from Sopranos to True Blood to Game of Thrones, and GoT is almost over.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lycus posted:

They do need a new flagship. They went from Sopranos to True Blood to Game of Thrones, and GoT is almost over.

What was their flagship before Sopranos?

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Oz.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Did Oz and the Wire run at the same time?

Was Dream On every an HBO flagship show?

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Rhyno posted:

Did Oz and the Wire run at the same time?

For a little bit. Oz was 97-03 Wire was 02-08

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

zVxTeflon posted:

For a little bit. Oz was 97-03 Wire was 02-08

Six Feet Under was pretty popular too, wasn't it?

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I'm basing this on nothing, but not as popular and I don't think the Wire was super popular either just well regarded

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Yeah iirc The Wire was a critical hit (and remains The Best Show Ever imo), but wasn't a huge hit with audiences.

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Time to join a revolution son, its going to be yooge!

Professor Shark posted:

Yeah iirc The Wire was a critical hit (and remains The Best Show Ever imo), but wasn't a huge hit with audiences.

It probably would have been in the final two seasons if it hadn't been leaked.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
Yeah, didn't The Wire run pretty much alongside The Sopranos? I'm not sure it was ever considered a big hit, more of a sleeper and critical darling which is now viewed with rose-colored glasses. I think Sex and the City and Sopranos were their first big hits and the "flagship" shows when their original programming started taking off. Carnivale and then Rome bridged the gap between Sopranos and True Blood, but were too expensive so welp. After that it seems like they threw most of the programming budget at their tentpole show, then liked to have a lot of cheap-to-shoot contemporary-setting shows all based around New York to pad the lineup.

I'm guessing they have a lot of sets/props leftover from Deadwood that make Westworld cheaper to film while GoT is still taking the lion's share of the budget.

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
JON GETS STABBED TO DEATH
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON
Show looks awesome but this looks like a prime candidate for "awesome show gets cancelled because dumb plebs don't like it".

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

maniacripper posted:

Show looks awesome but this looks like a prime candidate for "awesome show gets cancelled because dumb plebs don't like it".

That's not really a very common phenomenon for HBO shows, at least not until they get a second season.

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

I'm guessing they have a lot of sets/props leftover from Deadwood that make Westworld cheaper to film while GoT is still taking the lion's share of the budget.

One of the reasons the Deadwood movie hasn't happened (yet) is that all the sets would have to be rebuilt. Nobody keeps sets/props around just on the off chance they will be needed sometime. Hell, sometimes shows have to build new sets after summer break because the old ones have been torn down to use the stages for something else in the summer months.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
I'll rebuild the drat deadwood sets, call me

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007
I watched Westworld for the first time last month, and then I heard about this project. I can't wait to see how this turns out.

I also watched the low-rent Futureworld, which starts out interesting and devolves into the stupid.

I just really want a sex robot.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

moolchaba posted:

I just really want a sex robot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzO2mi4uHAs

Crash74
May 11, 2009
Why was deadwood ever cancelled in the first place?

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Crash74 posted:

Why was deadwood ever cancelled in the first place?

David Milch is a mess of drug addictions, gambling problems and mental illness, that`s why.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Flatscan posted:

David Milch is a mess of drug addictions, gambling problems and mental illness, that`s why.

Also money? HBO seemed completely loathe to spend money on sets and costumes for more than 2 seasons before GoT was a smash hit. That's why I think there was a warehouse full of old Deadwood props like guns and belts and whatnot that they just couldn't bear to throw out and are now reusing. Probably that bulldozer from Carnivale, too.

Speaking of Deadwood, the most recent trailers for West World have me worried that they are trying to borrow Deadwood's vulgarity by just inserting "gently caress" a few times into every sentence to make it more ~adult~. Which totally misses the point of how much fun the dialogue in Deadwood was or why it was so good. Hopefully it's just the snippets.

Still really excited, but trying to temper it so I can be pleasantly surprised rather than disappointed.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I love deadwood but the dialogue is not the reason. For a lot of the actors, talking like that is clearly very near to torture for them as is me hearing it.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

That`s part of it, certainly. Milch wanted to put production on hold while he worked on John from Cincinnati (remember that piece of poo poo?). HBO didn`t want to keep paying the cast to sit on their asses for an indefinite period, so it was agreed to shut down production completely and then pick up Deadwood as a couple of tv movies at some point in the future once Milch regained interest.
Milch keeps talking about the tv movies in interviews even now, but I think that`s only because people keep asking, I don`t think he really gives a poo poo.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

hemophilia posted:

I love deadwood but the dialogue is not the reason. For a lot of the actors, talking like that is clearly very near to torture for them as is me hearing it.

Yeah they do get to... mitigatin' near the end there.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
you can't tell me the actor who played EB Farnum disliked talking like that

R-Type
Oct 10, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Flatscan posted:

That`s part of it, certainly. Milch wanted to put production on hold while he worked on John from Cincinnati (remember that piece of poo poo?). HBO didn`t want to keep paying the cast to sit on their asses for an indefinite period, so it was agreed to shut down production completely and then pick up Deadwood as a couple of tv movies at some point in the future once Milch regained interest.
Milch keeps talking about the tv movies in interviews even now, but I think that`s only because people keep asking, I don`t think he really gives a poo poo.

I thought Timothy Olyphant was working on resurrecting Deadwood? Even if not, I think he would rock on Westwood, kind of in the role of the original protagonist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Pron on VHS posted:

you can't tell me the actor who played EB Farnum disliked talking like that

He is specifically who im thinking of. It plays to his character in a hosed and weird way but it is agonizing to hear him say a single loving sentence.

• Locked thread