Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

th vwls hv scpd posted:

You broke it off? Ouch.

It was stuck way above where it needed to be. I broke it using a floor jack. I tried to drill it out but I'm just going to use AvE's alum trick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Eh, ended up spending $50 on cobalt drill bits to get it done. What a pain in the dick. The alum granules did help.

At least I know the problem. Hole wasn't drilled deep enough, so I'll have to get a hammer drill to get it done.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
I made the tail lights match and passed inspection today so I can sell this cash vampire. Hooray!

Next on the list, the front passenger window.

Well, gently caress.

I did not get the window properly in the track. Balls. Time to let Somebody Else Fix This Junk.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Oh yeah, also this.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Just curious, is your Mazda 3 a Skyactiv with a manual? How do you like it?

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Yes it is. Fantastic car. I just needed something RWD or AWD and a sub 7 60. Easiest oil change I've ever done too.

Handles awesome, great gas mileage, wonderful shifter.

Wrar fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Jul 17, 2016

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Cool. Been wanting a Mazda2 for my next car for awhile now but I'm beginning to think it might be a bit too small, so the 3 is the next logical step for a manual four door hatch.

That or a Scion XB, although I have a feeling the mazda will be much more fun to drive.

djdanno13
Apr 20, 2004

Killing Nazi Zombies since June 14 1775

Wrar posted:

Oh yeah, also this.

Just curious what model that is and if you're happy with it so far. I take it that it's a removable model? The lift that is, not the car.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
It's a MaxJax
http://www.maxjaxusa.com/

So far it works great in the tiny space I have it in.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Ugh, a relatively contentless update. The rebuilder for the engine forgot to give me some parts so I wasn't able to run hoses last weekend like I planned. They were able to locate the bin-o-stuff so I should be picking it up tomorrow. Don't pick up cars on 3 hours of sleep!

The 240's fuel tank decided to suddenly leak at the strap attachment point, so the whole drat house smells like gasoline. Since the tank is both 20 years old, plastic, and hosed, I drilled a hole in the bottom to drain in out since the drat thing is nearly impossible to syphon.

More AI poo poo coming this weekend.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Fuckballs. The rear subframe bolts are frozen. Ordered a DeWalt 700ft/lbs impact.

How do I tell my wife I need 200ish in bushings?

Wrar fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Aug 5, 2016

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Wrar posted:

Fuckballs. The rear subframe bolts are frozen. Ordered a DeWalt 700ft/lbs impact.

How do I tell my wife I need 200ish in bushings?

* CI buys stupidly expensive bike *

* CI presents Signifigant Other with expensive bike *

Actually I thought I was dead last weekend towing home TWO Subarus. Turns out offering one of said Subarus that also happens to be a wagon and will fit her expensive bike works really well.

So yeah, establish a practice of bribery early on and you can get away with juuuust about anything.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Picked up my missing parts for the mod motor and oil filter and crush washers for the Outback.

I changed the oil in on the Outback. It was not bad, but not as easy as the Mazda due to the filter location. All they had to do was turn it 90* down. The left rear tire is having some issues holding pressure, so I'm gonna have to figure that out.

There is a very AI trip tomorrow.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer
the secret to being able to keep all your junk in the garage and still park two cars in it is to get a 3 car garage.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

adorai posted:

the secret to being able to keep all your junk in the garage and still park two cars in it is to get a 3 car garage 2-car garage and a 30x60 outbuilding.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Wrar posted:

I did not get the window properly in the track. Balls. Time to let Somebody Else Fix This Junk.

I really like your use of hard drive magnets there.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Yesterday Toplitzin, my wife and I piled into the Outback to accomplish a number of things, first we needed to get to the Norfolk/VA Beach area because Top was buying this:

I think it weighed 80 pounds? We could have used the Mazda for this task, but not everyone would have been comfortable. My wife has friends in the area, so we stopped and had lunch with them. It was awesome since my wife is bad about seeing people on a regular basis, and we last saw them during our wedding in November. The other thing I was trying to determine is how comfortable the Outback is for road trips. It's comfortable, but the seats are not Volvo seats. I'll give it a 7/10, where a 2007 S60R is a 10.

Wrar has applied gently caress you to bolts, it's super-successful!

We do not get a middle finger and red circles tonight, because I still need the frame to stay up for a bit.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.
I have the same (or at least, very similar) electric impact. I've yet to find a bolt it can't break loose*. A great tool - has saved me a heap of time and is definitely worth the investment!

* Except a Soarer rear LCA bolt which was so sized, that a jack lifting the end of a 6' breaker bar lifted the car off the stands rather than budging the bolt

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Wrar posted:

Yesterday Toplitzin, my wife and I piled into the Outback to accomplish a number of things, first we needed to get to the Norfolk/VA Beach area because Top was buying this:

That sorta makes me want an Outback now, not even kidding.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

ShittyPostmakerPro posted:

I have the same (or at least, very similar) electric impact. I've yet to find a bolt it can't break loose*. A great tool - has saved me a heap of time and is definitely worth the investment!

* Except a Soarer rear LCA bolt which was so sized, that a jack lifting the end of a 6' breaker bar lifted the car off the stands rather than budging the bolt

That is a strong bolt!!

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
I ran into the same problem on a late 90s Camry, the rear lateral arm bolts on the subframe side were seized so tight I lifted the car with the breaker bar. Had to take it to a shop who said they had to cut it off with a torch.

And this car wasn't rusty in the slightest, every other bolt broke free without any trouble at all.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Did some car worktonight. Topped off the coolant on the Outback and replaced the air filter along with the cabin filter.

Dropped all the bolts on the rear subframe on the S14. It's safely sitting on jackstands above the bottom of the boltline. When I get home tomorrow I'll enlist the wife to give me a hand dropping it. I'll need to get to the breather off the diff before it comes all the way down, but that's it. Fortunately for me I don't have a driveshaft attached to the car at the moment so it was one less step. I'll also be able to change out the differential to a J30 diff, which will give me a VLSD (eh) and a 3.9 (yay) ratio instead of the 4.08. I'll also need a custom driveshaft so when I bolt everything back together I'll be able to measure for one.

Wrar fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Aug 11, 2016

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Ratchet straps, gently caress yeah!

I stopped because it's too drat hot in the garage.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Ugh, I probably should take some pictures. I've got the subframe apart, a new fuel tank has been ordered, I've got the end links replaced for the lower rear control arms. Temperature is finally dropping so I can be in the garage without dying for extended periods of time. My wife has been sick so I've been spending more couch time with her than in the garage, too.

Wrar fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Sep 13, 2016

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Wrar posted:

Ugh, I probably should take some pictures. I've got the subframe apart, a new fuel tank has been ordered, I've got the end links replaced for the lower rear control arms. Temperature is finally dropping so I can be in the garage without dying for extended periods of time. My wife has been sick so I've been spending more couch time with her than in the garage, too.

Watching Stranger Things?

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Update?

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Update: slow going overall because I suck mostly.

I had a birthday party on Saturday in which I supplied boozahol and friends supplied hands.

Discovered the $99 dollar Koni yellows have two dead fronts when I went to pair them with the lowering springs on the car. Welp.

Did accomplish:

255lph fuel pump installed. New fuel tank positioned into the car.

Intake manifold positioned, fuel rail positioned. I need new o-rings for the injectors, they're old enough to drink.

Still to do:
Install brake booster somehow
Wire
Install transmission and starter
Custom driveshaft
Bushings ugh
New Konis.
Get Z32 300ZX rear brakes
Install Z32 300zx front brakes

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

14" was sicker that you and got a bunch done.
You should be less dead and more insane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Mod plz change title to "Wrar's Garage: Stupid Current Owner"

Well the good news is that I stopped being sick at the start of February. The other good news is that Nissan got my fuel tank shield retaining clips in. I should have just ordered them online, it took over a week.

But the best news is that with the power of stupid I finally managed to get the brake booster in. The motor is so tall/wide I had to remove the valve cover, the cam cap.

I didn't take any pictures of the rust removal process for the Echo brake booster because it was pretty boring. I also need to get some permatex or something to keep the drat valvecover gasket from flopping out when I'm putting the valvecover back on.

• Locked thread