Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Was Knuckles Chaotix any good? It's probably the genesis-era sonic game I played the least, but that might have just been because it came out so late.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

VikingofRock posted:

Was Knuckles Chaotix any good? It's probably the genesis-era sonic game I played the least, but that might have just been because it came out so late.

It's not particularly great, but it's okay

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

VikingofRock posted:

Nope. Interesting though and had good music, but not good.

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
#14 - Mind, Body, Soul - DJ EAR
Sonic Unleashed - Apotos (Windmill Isle)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7vfQl7yOIw

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

VikingofRock posted:

it's not good but the music and graphics are sick as hell.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Some of those optional missions were garbage though, it took me numerous tries to do that one where you have to play some kind of weird pong with Vector's music notes. The main levels themselves were great though and I'm completely baffled Sega didn't release more levels as DLC as it would have been the perfect setup for it, I wanted to see reimagined versions of other Sonic levels.

I loved every level except Planet Wisp. The only part I like about Planet Wisp is Act 2 before the sidescrolling section. Both acts are just too big, and I really don't like the Spike powerup because it makes the stage feel even bigger and more aimless since now every wall is also a path. I'm sure it's better once you start memorizing the fast paths, but it was the only level where I didn't even want to try to go back and find the quickest path.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
The Act 1 remix of Planet Wisp is soooo good though.

Dresh
Jun 15, 2008

hrmph.

Frankston posted:

Sonic was great until about 1995 and then it's been garbage ever since. Even 8 year old me knew that it was over when 3D Blast came out.

3D Blast on the Saturn was my first Sonic game, at least it had awesome special stages. :unsmith:

And the Rusty Ruins music reminded me of a Pure Moods album.

Next game was Sonic Jam though, which was a pretty marvelous transition.

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Speaking of the saturn version of Sonic 3D:

#15 PaNic AttaCk - Blue Magic
Sonic 3D Blast (Saturn) - Panic Puppet Act 1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRyFM4JrEdc

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

sonic 3d blast was actually the first sonic game i beat 100 percent (getting the emeralds and poo poo since its special stages were the easiest).

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I 100 percented the original Sonic as an 11(?) year old, but only because the level select cheat allowed you to have as many goes at getting the Chaos Emeralds as you wanted. You had to play the whole game from the start after that, otherwise it would forget you had them, but that was the easy bit.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Mania should do a Sonic 3D blast level in 2D. Just new art with the same theme and music.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Jsor posted:

I loved every level except Planet Wisp. The only part I like about Planet Wisp is Act 2 before the sidescrolling section. Both acts are just too big, and I really don't like the Spike powerup because it makes the stage feel even bigger and more aimless since now every wall is also a path. I'm sure it's better once you start memorizing the fast paths, but it was the only level where I didn't even want to try to go back and find the quickest path.

Same. Planet Wisp was just a chore. Nowhere near as bad as that awful final boss, though.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

MikeJF posted:

Mania should do a Sonic 3D blast level in 2D. Just new art with the same theme and music.

But which music? :can:

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Rooftop Run was sooooo good though.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Pureauthor posted:

It's definitely the greatest 3D sonic level level ever made. By so much in fact I can't even think of what #2 could be.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Pureauthor posted:

Yeah, I'd love to see more Unleashed levels get that treatment. Like Cool Edge and a greatly toned down Eggmanland.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

beep by grandpa posted:

It's definitely the greatest 3D sonic level level ever made. By so much in fact I can't even think of what #2 could be.

Chemical Plant

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

beep by grandpa posted:

Starlight Carnival Act 1

Sue
Apr 1, 2008

Red Mountain.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Again, Rooftop Run is really pretty and cool-looking but I'm not fond of the auto-runner type gameplay

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

Crazy Gadget

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
City Escape

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

Starlight Carnival Act 1

Seconding this, it's also a travesty that the 3DS version of Generations got Starlight Carnival, not the PC/PS3 one :argh:

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

why doesn't a zone called "starlight carnival" have music that's a fusion of starlight zone and carnival night zone.

Palmtree Panic
Jul 28, 2007

He has no style, he has no grace

Kikas posted:

Seconding this, it's also a travesty that the 3DS version of Generations got Starlight Carnival, not the PC/PS3 one :argh:

Generations 3DS had Tropical Resort, not Starlight Carnival.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

All-Stars Racing Transformed got Starlight Carnival, and it's pretty magical.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Sue posted:

Red Mountain.
Wht's that? an excuse to post the best track from SA?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qh8PDGiEhYk

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

I always have really fond memories of Pyramid Cave for whatever reason. I think it's a combination of the :krad: music and the bounce bracelet being fun.

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Third best level after Starlight Carnival is Metal Harbour.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

But which music? :can:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tiSP3kWiTPs

play this on repeat throughout my life inject it straight into my veins

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

https://youtu.be/r-bPLZb-Ue8

Check out these sick af special stages from the Saturn version of 3D blast

This should have been the entire game tbh

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
#16 Gaudium - Ivan Hakstok
Sonic 3 - Azure Lake, Angel Island
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVlCbhpqHY0

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Amppelix posted:

https://youtu.be/r-bPLZb-Ue8

Check out these sick af special stages from the Saturn version of 3D blast

This should have been the entire game tbh

They look like this on PC:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bF5uKs8mz8I

El Mido
Feb 22, 2011
They're also suuuper glitchy on PC.

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
#17 Choking Hazard - Matthew S. Harrison
Sonic Spinball - Toxic Caves
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91Bvl2dAxwE

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

I'm playing Sonic CD off steam and I feel like I'm missing why people rave so much about this game. The level design feels clunky as hell, the time travel mechanic is fiddly as gently caress and unfun, and slowly hunting through a level for the machine I need to blow up to try and get a good future is the opposite of want out of a Sonic game. The soundtracks (both of them) are pretty great... I dunno, is it me, am I crazy? Or is nostalgia just a really powerful drug in this case?

(Sonic 3 & Knuckles status: still owns, if it matters)

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Sodomy Non Sapiens posted:

I'm playing Sonic CD off steam and I feel like I'm missing why people rave so much about this game. The level design feels clunky as hell, the time travel mechanic is fiddly as gently caress and unfun, and slowly hunting through a level for the machine I need to blow up to try and get a good future is the opposite of want out of a Sonic game. The soundtracks (both of them) are pretty great... I dunno, is it me, am I crazy? Or is nostalgia just a really powerful drug in this case?
(Sonic 3 & Knuckles status: still owns, if it matters)

It was the first sonic game I owned, and I didn't beat it until I was an adult because no patience.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Sonic CD has some neat ideas but lacks the fluid level design of Sonic 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
My single argument for Sonic 2 over Sonic 3.