Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

WickedHate posted:

Enterprise has the best ship design.

:chanpop: imma have to step up my game here, jeez.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
So on thread's recommendation I picked up a copy of the Gene Roddenberry biography. Pretty fascinating stuff but geez he was a piece of work. He was a real spoiled brat about women and suffered Impostor Syndrome to the point that he flat out couldn't produce anything without riffing off someone else's writing. It's sad to see how he fell apart at the end of his life but still, wow. :stare:

:rip: Gene.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Gonz posted:

*slashes your face with a letter opener*

I like how it's a sub in space. Small, kind of cramped, and all naval-lookin. Same with the uniforms being all astronaut-ish.

EX-GAIJIN AT LAST posted:

:chanpop: imma have to step up my game here, jeez.

You fool, you fell victim to one of the classic blunders-the most famous of which is never get involved in a land war in Asia-but only slightly less well-known is this: Never get into a competition of bad opinions with WickedHate.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I think the episode where Quark has to be a female is kinda funny, it's not great but I don't think it's that terrible an episode.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

I think that Best of Both Worlds and Yesterday's Enterprise are overrated.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

If I had a chance to get a properly remastered Babylon 5 on Blu-ray, and all I had to do was burn down every copy of DS9 in existence, I would only probably decline, after serious deliberation. I'd be a little tempted even with TNG.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
I'm rewatching B5, skipping season 1 and wow its a drat fine show.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

After The War posted:

Getting Brent Spiner to do different voices is pretty much the driving force behind TNG.

Ya varmint.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrLvtoKZfxY

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Baloogan posted:

I'm rewatching B5, skipping season 1 and wow its a drat fine show.

Don't skip season 1, or at worst, watch season 1 on subsequent watchthroughs, because it's much better when you know what's coming.

I've been thinking about starting a new B5 thread since my wife wants to do the latter (she wasn't that into it during season 1 the first time either) and we watched The Gathering the other day.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
i have watched b5 like at least 5 times already lol

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Goddamn, Kira in a Starfleet uniform.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

B5 season 1 is the worst garbage I've seen recommended in this thread, and people here have recommended Doctor Who.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
I found I really liked jumping in season 2

Lots of action to go around, right after the death of the president is a great spot to start a series
season 1's whole PLOT resulted in failure for the good guys so its such a dower and they were so close
the only thing you really miss out on is gkar acting like a prick which makes his downfall in season 2 & 3 and his redemption so much more meaningful
season 1, londo vir and gkar are the only reasons to watch
everyone else acts like they have a stick up their rear end
also boinidexter or whatever his name is is an excellent lead, space hero in all the right ways

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Arglebargle III posted:

B5 season 1 is the worst garbage I've seen recommended in this thread, and people here have recommended Doctor Who.

B5 season 1 is better than Dr. Who. This is fact, not conjecture.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I have a feeling if I went back and watched Night Court after 25-30 years last seeing it on TV that I would be appalled at how bad it is.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

EX-GAIJIN AT LAST posted:

Sounds like I'm winning the bad Star Trek opinions crown. Any comers? :toughguy:

I really like Lwaxana and feel she has some very affecting episodes.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

B5 season 1 is so much better the second time through because holy poo poo is everything foreshadowed well. JMS working on that show for ten years before he could get it made must have been frustrating but in retrospect was a great thing.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Skip the episode with the machine that turns people into soldier drones though

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

remusclaw posted:

I really like Lwaxana and feel she has some very affecting episodes.

I agree, except that Cost of Living is the most poo poo episode of television I've ever seen and I want to strangle the writer that came up with "The higher, the fewer."

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

MikeJF posted:

Skip the episode with the machine that turns people into soldier drones though

This is the only episode I actually remeber

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

While we're at it, can we dispense with the notion that Threshold is the Worst Episode Ever. Sure the last ten minutes are pretty awful what with the Doctor's technobabble filibuster and the weird salamander sex, but the actors are actually trying, the script has a lot of nice little touches (like learning why these tests are so important to Paris), and the effects were genuinely Emmy worthy. Is it a good episode? gently caress no, it's dumb as hell, but it was competently produced, reasonably entertaining, and only moderately offensive, so I don't get what the big deal is. Is the science bad? Yeah, it's terrible, but there are dozens of episodes from every era of Trek that get these things (especially biology) just as wrong. Is the plot a mess? Of course, but this is Voyager we're talking about. Is it uncomfortable and rape-y? Yes, but somehow there are at least a dozen Star Trek episodes that are way worse on that front.

All I can say is at least it's not a complete rehash of another script, at least it's not a racist piece of poo poo, at least it isn't a misdirected mess, at least the effects don't look awful, at least the actors were competent, at least the script was trying something new, at least it's interesting, which is more than you can say for many, many other episodes.

Controversial opinion time: there isn't a single Voyager episode that is tangibly worse than the worst TOS or, especially, TNG episodes. Well, except maybe Coda.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Duckbag posted:

Controversial opinion time: there isn't a single Voyager episode that is tangibly worse than the worst TOS or, especially, TNG episodes. Well, except maybe Coda.

What matters is that Voyager is mostly bad episodes, not that it hit new lows.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Arglebargle III posted:

B5 season 1 is hilarious garbage but I love it all the same. Though not that episode with the soul-eater or whatever the gently caress :lol:

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

I agree that Voyager is Worst Trek, but I think most of its problems can be traced pretty directly to the writers trying to slap a new coat of paint on the sinking ship that was end stage TNG. It's really lucky that the TNG writers got their poo poo together long enough to give it a decent finale, or the show would not be nearly so well remembered.

Also, the worst TOS episode is Metamorphosis.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Hey, now! Which era of Doctor Who? :toughguy:

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!

Duckbag posted:

I agree that Voyager is Worst Trek, but I think most of its problems can be traced pretty directly to the writers trying to slap a new coat of paint on the sinking ship that was end stage TNG. It's really lucky that the TNG writers got their poo poo together long enough to give it a decent finale, or the show would not be nearly so well remembered.

Also, the worst TOS episode is Metamorphosis.

I feel like TNG also got a big boost in that, even if the episode wasn't really the most interesting or well-written, at least it was usually modestly interesting to watch the characters interact their way through it. Once you bring a meh script into Voyager, all you have to fill the room with is Harry and Tom and the ominous threat of possibly Neelix.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

After The War posted:

Hey, now! Which era of Doctor Who? :toughguy:

You have a Colin Baker avatar. I think you know.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

TNG season 1 is better than Dr. Who. This is fact, not conjecture.

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004

Duckbag posted:

Counterpoint: the one where Chakotay boxes aliens or the one where Chakotay meets that one sexy lady that no one else remembers. They might even be the same episode for all I remember of them.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

The only good Chakotay episode is a dead Chakotay episode!

By which I mean Shattered.

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

"It's okay. I wouldn't remember me either."

MorgaineDax posted:

Counterpoint: the one where Chakotay boxes aliens or the one where Chakotay meets that one sexy lady that no one else remembers. They might even be the same episode for all I remember of them.

For a second I thought you said "Chakotay hotboxes aliens". Probably would have been better.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Evek posted:

For a second I thought you said "Chakotay hotboxes aliens". Probably would have been better.

Use my peyote disc.

Akoochimoya dude.

Also threshold is bad because rapid evolution wouldn't make him breathe Ammonia randomly, and the concept of Warp Infinity that lets you occupy all points in time being a dumb engineering question (that Neelix of all people figures out) instead of some thermodynamic/infinite energy barrier is dumb.

Also you give the Voyager a get home now card early in the series' life which is just boring and you know can't be used because of flimsy plot reasons. Just like that wormhole by the Ferengi planet that they wait too long to get into because prime directive and poo poo.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

What makes Threshold so egregious is that from what we see they actually do have a way home. We see that "evolving" into a space lizard takes awhile, and the Doctor has a cure that works pretty drat well, so all they'd have to do is fire up space Nitro's and get to earth and then have the crew report to the Doc for mandatory devolution injections or whatever.

Also Neesus please add this to the OP It's Tuvok dancing for joy when the Voyager kicks Neelix off the ship.

Baka-nin fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Aug 7, 2016

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Baka-nin posted:

What makes Threshold so egregious is that from what we see they actually do have a way home. We see that "evolving" into a space lizard takes awhile, and the Doctor has a cure that works pretty drat well, so all they'd have to do is fire up space Nitro's and get to earth and then have the crew report to the Doc for mandatory devolution injections or whatever.
janeway and Paris gently caress and have salamander babies

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Stop kink shaming, remember this is Gene's vision we're talking about. At least try to have some reverence for the great mans legacy.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

TNG S7 isn't as bad as is sometimes repeated. Sure it has sub rosa but it also has Gambit and that finale. Also, Emergence is a good episode and so is the one with the native Americans. If they'd kept going with it it would have continued to be fine. They should just have made that show forever like ER. drat cast contracts.

Edit: And it has parallels and the Pegasus. It's a good season.

Ogmius815 fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Aug 7, 2016

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
TNG season 7's sin is that so much of it is so dull.

Fall Sick and Die
Nov 22, 2003
Bryan Fuller has apparently said he's going to give some more 'spoilery' information about Discovery during the Television Critics Association summer press tour. August 10th is CBS day at the tour so, prepare to learn which gay half-Klingon is captaining the new most important ship in canon prehistory no one has ever mentioned.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Most important ever?

What is this, Axanar?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

On second thought I won't start a new B5 thread, all it'll be is people arguing about whether or not season 1 is worth watching (it is).