Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Oh, whoa! Check out the Viewing Globe, shorty!

Let's Play Van Helsing

Van Helsing is a 3D shoot 'em up based on the movie that came out the same year. In it, you play as a man with a nice fedora and a lot of guns. The game drew some comparisons to Devil May Cry and other action games released at the time, which was unfortunate. You don't do much hack 'n slashing, there aren't complex or flashy combos, and most of the game is spent holding down Square and strafing a whole lot. That being said, it's still fun as hell and feels much like a 3d upgrade of much older shooters. Oh, and there are also a lot of unlockables and secret areas and stuff.

About the Let's Play

We're going to be playing through the game once on Normal difficulty, collecting secrets along the way. All of the secrets? Goodness no. But hidden areas, health upgrades, and such? For sure. I also intend to use as few healing items as possible. It should be a relatively light-hearted information and critique focused play-through.

Videos

We're not a murderer, we're a monster hunter.

GamesAreSupernice fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Aug 25, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer
TIL there was a Van Helsing game :v:

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Alexeythegreat posted:

It came out during the time period when every movie was getting games, and it was after all an action flick.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Alexeythegreat posted:

Heck, I was confused for a second and thought this was going to be one of the Van Helsings on Steam, or Victor Vran.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

All I remember from the movie:
-The kickin theme
-18th century james bond gadgets
-MAREESHKA KEEL THE STRAAANGER

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
^ "TIL"?

And I remember the movie. Pretty stupid and sadly did not help the Universal Monsters gain popularity.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Today I Learned.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Lotish posted:

Heck, I was confused for a second and thought this was going to be one of the Van Helsings on Steam, or Victor Vran.

There are three of those now I think.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

All I remember from the movie:
-The kickin theme
-18th century james bond gadgets
-MAREESHKA KEEL THE STRAAANGER

I really liked the movie, I think Stephen Sommers has a habit of making whatever he wants and nobody really tries to stop him. As much as he messed with some of the lore of the old characters, he definitely wanted to tell an interesting story, and I liked his take on Hyde. (Not the stealing souls part, just his character.)

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

We killed Dracula's wife

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I feel like there was a Van Helsing game and it was good and this is def not it

e: Looking in my steam library there I was partly right, it's called the Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing but it's absolute trash garbage

some plague rats fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Aug 6, 2016

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing seemed really inoffensive, that's probably the most vicious opinion I've ever seen of it.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

GamesAreSupernice posted:

Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing seemed really inoffensive, that's probably the most vicious opinion I've ever seen of it.

Man I hope you like grinding.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I tried to play IAoVH2 three times and every time I gave up after less than two hours when I hit a bug that made the game stop working. Different bug, every time. Which is a shame because what I saw of it was actually fun

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

What is with the red dial that keeps filling every time an attack finishes during combat? Do we do more damage if we don't button mash?

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Lotish posted:

What is with the red dial that keeps filling every time an attack finishes during combat? Do we do more damage if we don't button mash?

That dial is what determines the combo number. It's not filling, rather, it's unfilling, and every spare second between an attack it goes down. The more we button mash, the higher our combo goes.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

If it's a timer, what doesn't it run counterclockwise, like you might expect of a countdown?

What do we get out of combo numbers again?

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Lotish posted:

If it's a timer, what doesn't it run counterclockwise, like you might expect of a countdown?

What do we get out of combo numbers again?

Because the HUD is a mess and the combo numbers do nothing

Edit: I guess challenging yourself could be considered something? But as far as I can tell they have no valuable in-game benefit

GamesAreSupernice fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Aug 6, 2016

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Igor has one name to fear

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
I played this game a lot as a teen. It's the kind of c-list 7/10 game that's pretty decent for just chilling out and killing poo poo

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

The Vosgian Beast posted:

I played this game a lot as a teen. It's the kind of c-list 7/10 game that's pretty decent for just chilling out and killing poo poo

I think that's a decent way to describe it. It's mildly challenging, but almost anyone could beat it with enough elbow grease.

Way easier with the health upgrades tho.

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
You do know that van isn’t Helsing's name right? It's just a preface that marks him as a noble. His first name is Abraham, except it seems to be Gabriel here for some weird reason.
Just mentioning this because you referred to him as Van earlier.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Im really feeling the devil may cry inspirations here.
Its quite like a bargain bin DMC.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Thesaya posted:

You do know that van isn’t Helsing's name right? It's just a preface that marks him as a noble. His first name is Abraham, except it seems to be Gabriel here for some weird reason.
Just mentioning this because you referred to him as Van earlier.

I know but it seemed funny to refer to it as his first name

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

It hurts me that the sawed off double barrel shotgun is pump action. I mean, this game is dumb, fine, but there's a limit to what I can stand.

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Aug 7, 2016

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Lotish posted:

It hurts me that the sawed off double barrel shotgun is pump action. I mean, this game is dumb, fine, but there's a limit to what I can stand.

Would it make it better if it were a novelty squirtgun.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

These seems to be doing a reasonable job of recreating the movie in the framework of half a DMC game. I still think it would have been better if it cleaved closer to the DMC model with timing based combos instead of just shooting everything forever with lock on.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Lotish posted:

These seems to be doing a reasonable job of recreating the movie in the framework of half a DMC game. I still think it would have been better if it cleaved closer to the DMC model with timing based combos instead of just shooting everything forever with lock on.

Holding down Square is the best combo

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Pig goblins

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Those guys don't look fun to fight. Half the time it seems you're fighting them when they're off screen.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Lotish posted:

Those guys don't look fun to fight. Half the time it seems you're fighting them when they're off screen.

That's true of most enemies in this game.

On a side note, I really hope you show off some of the weird cheats.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

wiegieman posted:

That's true of most enemies in this game.

On a side note, I really hope you show off some of the weird cheats.

If that's an official request, I guess Big Head mode never hurt anyone

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Quiet Python
Nov 8, 2011
I was wondering why Victor Vran had a lightning gun in his game. I guess they borrowed more from Van Helsing than I thought.

I've never actually seen the movie. Is it worth checking out?

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Quiet Python posted:

I was wondering why Victor Vran had a lightning gun in his game. I guess they borrowed more from Van Helsing than I thought.

I've never actually seen the movie. Is it worth checking out?

I think the movie is pretty fun. It reinvents a lot of classic monster tales in an attempt to fit them into one narrative, but it does a reasonable job.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
It also has some really funny outtakes, like at the ball scene when Dracula is introducing Van Helsing to his guests:

"Ladies and Gentleman... I give you... VAN HALEN!"

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

We're back again

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012
Is there any point in including princess whats-her-face in this story? So far she doesn't seem to make a difference. Heck, Dracula kidnapped her and used her as a hostage, but since Van Helsing didn't comply with Dracula's demands, she has not even managed to make a negative difference. Well, there's some game left.

Anyway, this game looks like a decent time-waster if you have a somewhat compatible taste. I do feel though that there's something lacking about it.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Crystalgate posted:

Is there any point in including princess whats-her-face in this story?

Kind of. In the next mission she's fairly helpful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

• Locked thread