Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Dr. Fetus posted:

:confused: Does someone mind elaborating on that? I'm not sure what you mean there.

Hella bad DRM. I can't remember the specifics, but it's something like "every file is separately encrypted by SecuROM and causes insanely bad load times.

I think Falcom put out their own Japanese version without the DRM some time later, though? I forget.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the only fear i know about the chinese pc version is that falcom might not have the rights to it, i dont think there are any quality concerns

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Dr. Fetus posted:

:confused: Does someone mind elaborating on that? I'm not sure what you mean there.

Theres a japanese pc version by falcom that they can use for Zero which is apparently pretty good and should be easy to bring out over here. Ao currently only exists on PC in the chinese version which from what i hear is very buggy and full of DRM, but i figure thats something they can iron out during localization/reprogramming.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Dr. Fetus posted:

Zero and Ao were originally released as PSP games and XSeed has gone on record many times that TitS SC was their last PSP game.

Zero and Ao were ported to PC, but they were done by a Chinese company with DRM and a Chinese script. The PC Zero port was then translated into Japanese and released in Japan. The Chinese port of Ao was never released in Japan.

So, as it stands, XSeed can get the code for the PC version of Zero from Falcom with no issues, but in order to release Ao in the West, they need to use the Chinese PC port, which requires going through a second company and requires extensive coding to remove the DRM.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Some Numbers posted:

So, as it stands, XSeed can get the code for the PC version of Zero from Falcom with no issues, but in order to release Ao in the West, they need to use the Chinese PC port, which requires going through a second company and requires extensive coding to remove the DRM.

Well, or they can port it themselves, which may be manageable given games in earlier version of the engine have been ported already, and they have experience with their source base.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

OddObserver posted:

Well, or they can port it themselves, which may be manageable given games in earlier version of the engine have been ported already, and they have experience with their source base.

XSEED is not a company with the resources to port things themselves.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
didn't working with the psp version of sc require getting help from people who don't even work at falcom anymore

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

XSEED is not a company with the resources to port things themselves.

That depends a lot on the state of the source base and how different it is between Zero/AO/3rd/SC/FC.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

OddObserver posted:

You're misunderstanding me. They will need to license the game from the Chinese company in order to even get the source code, because Falcom doesn't have it.

Unless you're saying they could port the PSP version, which case almost certainly not as I would be hugely surprised if Falcom kept the source code for a 10 year old game.

There's also the issue of building the port from the ground up, which is a much bigger undertaking than just translating the text and making the code work on newer systems. Remember how SC took them four years? This would infinitely more work.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

Some Numbers posted:

Unless you're saying they could port the PSP version, which case almost certainly not as I would be hugely surprised if Falcom kept the source code for a 10 year old game.

...I mean, they clearly kept the source code for the over ten year old TitS FC and TitS SC PC versions, so why wouldn't they have kept it?

MisawaMahoKodomo
Mar 23, 2016

ssmagus posted:

It's on screen in Ao

AFAIK the situation is a bit complicated of sorts
I wouldn't really say it's on screen, because the dudes are never named and we don't see their faces. It can be argued that since Crossbell came out before Cold Steel they don't have to be named, but I dunno.
Long story short the whole thing is complicated, but I'd say that there's a fairly good (75-90%) chance that he is dead.
If he doesn't show up in CS3, then he can probably safely be assumed to be dead, I highly doubt even Falcom would be crazy enough to make him be a chekhov gun for the Calvard arc.
It's mostly a conspiracy theory that he's not dead right now, which is probably going to be false methinks.

Well this situation sure turned out to be very...ugly......maybe I should just keep my mouth shut in the future.

It does bring up a good point though, about how games interact with their previously released games.
Like a "fridge logic" moment. Kind of.

Edit 1.1
Something caught my eye while I was browsing through the lines
Alisa: "I visited Ymir once when I was a kid"
*Laughs evilly.

MisawaMahoKodomo fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Aug 6, 2016

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
I don't expect 3rd to move much more than 2-4k at launch because that's basically the entirety of its current market. That we're getting 3rd at all should be a good sign for Zero and XSeed's faith in the health of the series in general since they must either be seeing growth or expecting growth that would allow 3rd to sell more over time.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

I just finished reading the drama CD and I can see why it's suggested reading. That all seems super pertinent to Cold Steel 2 and I'm sad they didn't add that whole bit to the game.

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

Some Numbers posted:

I just finished reading the drama CD and I can see why it's suggested reading. That all seems super pertinent to Cold Steel 2 and I'm sad they didn't add that whole bit to the game.

To be fair, the game is long enough as it is. Adding all that and making it playable might push the game over the edge of 'way too drat long' and really screw with the pacing.

XainZero
Feb 16, 2011

Some Numbers posted:

That whole section seems like a more appropriate place to put Rean's S-Craft upgrade than where it is in the actual game.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Some Numbers posted:

Make sure to link it in your LP after you finish chapter 6.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Zaggitz posted:

Make sure to link it in your LP after you finish chapter 6.

I intend to.

In May.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Up to Chapter 5 in my CS Nightmare run. Legram still my favorite place in Erebonia so far.

edit: here's the bit I was talking about, Millium says that if Victor ever decided to be a Bracer he'd likely be on par with Cassius Bright. I knew there was something that said they were about equal.

Zaggitz fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Aug 6, 2016

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
Has anyone had any luck getting Trails in the Sky to work on Steam Link? I'd really like to be able to play that on the TV but it never seems to launch if Steam's in Big Picture mode. Doesn't crash, just never launches. Doesn't launch super dependably just in normal mode either, but I think I've got that sorted.

Running Windows 10 work with a 1070.

MisawaMahoKodomo
Mar 23, 2016
Either I forgot something, but the Drama CD was merely "ok" ish.
Nothing too important (inb4 I forgot some crazy important plot point lol)

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

Has anyone had any luck getting Trails in the Sky to work on Steam Link? I'd really like to be able to play that on the TV but it never seems to launch if Steam's in Big Picture mode. Doesn't crash, just never launches. Doesn't launch super dependably just in normal mode either, but I think I've got that sorted.

Running Windows 10 work with a 1070.

Nevermind, think I've got it. In case anyone ever stumbles on this later:

Go into the Game's install directory (%SteamDir%/SteamLibrary/common/Trails in the Sky FC) and look for Config.exe. Properties --> Compatibility, Run as Administrator.

From here on, always launch the game within Steam by clicking Play and then selecting Launch Configuration Tool and clicking "Start Game" from the Configuration tool. Since the Config tool needs admin rights, you might need to launch the game from your PC to approve the UAC prompt, but once it's running you can play at your TV.

Changes I made to default settings were to raise it up to raise the resolution up to 1920x1080 (though I think this can cause problems and you might need to lower it, but it worked for me), unchecking High Resolution Fonts and unchecking Borderless Window.

Game should launch. I don't yet have it working with controller input but I plan on getting a wireless mouse/keyboard soon anyway so :shrug:

Chickenfrogman
Sep 16, 2011

by exmarx

Endorph posted:

rean actually grows as a character and also demonstrates traits that explain why he is the protagonist and the leader. he's got a good head on his shoulders, is diplomatic, knows how to work with the people around him, etc.

estelle's growth is kind of just off-screen inbetween games and everyone just acts like she's a complete incompetent moron until she doesn't, and she kind of just beats stuff over the head with a stick until she's the defacto protagonist.

estelle's a really fun character mind but a lot of the writing around her is weird and it detracts from her role as the main character of the sky games, and more than that a lot of her involvement in the main plot is like a step removed from the actual plot? like she cares about a thing because it affected joshua, or an antagonist cares about her because she's related to cassius, or whatever. it never feels like she's the star of her own show. rean has several plot beats, characteristics, and relationships that tie him directly to the main thread of the story.

This is a good post.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

If i'd been born a day earlier i'd have the same birthday as estelle...

why even live

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Cake Attack posted:

If i'd been born a day earlier i'd have the same birthday as estelle...

why even live

you can change that through the magic of rebirthing

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

of course you won't be legally allowed to drive or drink, but that's what convincing fake ids are for

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Estelle is the best.:3:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Happy Birthday Estelle

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
What's the "best" way to use the Shining Pom bait again in Cold Steel 1? I'm at I think the end and haven't used it yet. I don't think I'm going to try to get Rean to level 80 because that would take too long but I was thinking about NG+ to view more bonding events and the like, I guess if so it might be better to save it for the next run?

Alard
Sep 4, 2011

Nate RFB posted:

What's the "best" way to use the Shining Pom bait again in Cold Steel 1? I'm at I think the end and haven't used it yet. I don't think I'm going to try to get Rean to level 80 because that would take too long but I was thinking about NG+ to view more bonding events and the like, I guess if so it might be better to save it for the next run?

The bait is a per play through thing, so you don't have to worry about saving it for a specific run.

Death Priest
Jun 24, 2004

Nate RFB posted:

You'll get some more when you start your NG+ so no harm in using them in your current game. The best place to use them would probably be level 1 of the old schoolhouse right before going after the final boss so that you can pick your favorite party members to level up.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Every Shining Pom fight gives your team one level's worth of XP and you can keep all your baits in NG+, so use them all when you have enough to slingshot Rean up to 80.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I know that you can carry over items if you so choose in NG+, so I was basically wondering if you could do something like activate the DLC to get the baits, carry over the baits as items, and then re-activate the DLC again in NG+ to get 3 more.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

The free bait pack will give you 3 baits at the start of every NG+, even if you have 3 already. I never bought any other packs, but I should hope they work the same way.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Oh wait character levels can be carried over too? I guess it wouldn't matter then, since any level up I get now will still "count" towards 80, in which case I might as well use them now. Just would be best to obviously use it as close to the end of the game before doing so your first time through.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Yeah character levels is a NG+ carryover option, so you can get a lot of mileage out of Shining Pom baits.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
It's surprising that Trails in the Sky has such an amazing soundtrack, given that it contains exactly four songs

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLPDoxoGA-MPQX6G_praYBdPDpM4VEbvdR

:confused:

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
What he's saying is probably; a lot of songs in Trails use the same leitmotiff, which is true although it's more obvious in Trails SC than in FC and four is an exaggeration that redefines extreme.

(there ARE four leitmotiffs though; the Trails in the Sky main theme, the Whereabouts of Light theme, the Silver Will theme and the Where the Bonds are leitmotiff)

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

There's definitely four distinct lietmotifs that I can point to in Trails SC, but yeah, saying the entire soundtrack is four songs is gross exaggeration.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
It was mostly a joke