Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Stephen9001 posted:

Hmmm..... Do we prove the monster doesn't exist by finding a picture of a bunch of trash in the shape of a monster or what? Also, why were there a bunch of flags from different countries? I say the UK, USA and Australia, just to name the obvious english speaking ones.
I'm mostly wondering why the bottom part of the German flag is white instead of gold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
This gives me flashbacks to playing Persona 4 as it happened.

God drat I'm old :smith:

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

theshim posted:

This gives me flashbacks to playing Persona 4 as it happened.

God drat I'm old :smith:

Good thing they already talked about how Mia's computer was OLD, otherwise it'd look like we were still using ye old fat monitors today.

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I really love the fact that every time von Karma snaps his fingers, it's very loud and clear.

Also Nick is such a good straight man.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Case 4 - Turnabout Goodbyes
Investigation (Day 2) - Part 2

So, who better to ask about Gourdy than our resident Gourdy expert?

: Well? Y'all find anything out about Gourdy?
: Umm... no, nothing.
: Well, keep moving! It gets cold out here at nighttime.
: It is a little chilly...
: I... I think I have to sneeze!
: Wh-whoa! No you don't! No sneezing!!!

: ...
: I told y'all NO SNEEZING! See, I set the camera to respond to things a little sofer than a "bang." It'd trigger on one of von Karma's finger snaps now!
: Oh... I'm sorry.
: Yeah, well, sorry's nice but what about my film!?
: Nick... pay the lady.
: (*sob*)

: I learned something in today's trial, that's for sure. Testifyin' is serious business!
: That's why I decided not to talk about that case any more.
: Huh?
: Whoa--didn't you say you had information about the case!? Tell us that, at least!
: Like I said...
: I'll trade it for the dirt on Gourdy!

: What are you going to do if Gourdy doesn't exist?
: I'll quit being an investigative photographer.
: What!?
: After all, I only have one photo to my name so far...
: Was it a good one?
: You bet... a yoofoh!
: A y-yoofoh...?
: Anyway, if I can't get a career-making photo this time around... Then that's it! I'll quit and go back to school.

: Yeah, well, I'm takin' a break for a bit.
: Right...

If we show her the enlarged photo...

: No kidding. If we didn't have that, Edgeworth would be in prison now, or worse!
: There's never a lack of drama when you're on a case, is there, Nick?
: What, are you always on the verge of horrible failure like this!?
: Umm...
: Careful or the stress'll send you to an early grave.
: (Thanks for the cheerful message of support!)

If we show her the Gourdy article...

: Umm... uh... You know, I was wondering...
: Yeah?

: and it turns out like this enlargement did?
: Y'all crazy!? A blurry picture like this doesn't make a hit story! I need a picture that screams "I am Gourdy! Hear me roar!" I can't turn something like this into the paper! What kind of a fool do y'all think I am?
: (The kind of fool that would turn a blurry picture in as evidence in a murder trial? Not to mention claiming she saw something she didn't see!)

We head back to the office to regroup.

: Behave yourself in the courtroom tomorrow, okay?
: Heh heh heh. Misbehaving's much more fun.
: It's not going to be so much fun when Edgeworth refuses to pay your bail again.
: Right. I'll behave.
: (Oh dear...)

: Well, what should we do?
: I don't know! I've been in detention this whole time. I think I'll let you decide what we should do. Deal?

: Well? Any thoughts you want to share?
: Well, I was in detention all day.
: I think I'd like more time to think.
: (Poor Maya, she probably thought about Mia the whole time she was in there...)

Maybe Edgeworth knows something!

: Looks like Edgeworth is in questioning.
: Let's come back later.
: Guess so...

Or not! Maybe Gumshoe will know something.

: What's up? You look out of sorts.
: Wait... you didn't go and do something that's going to hurt Mr. Edgeworth's case again!
: What do you mean, "again"!?
: Whatever, have a seat, pal. I'm here for you if you need anything. Besides money, that is.

: How is the investigation proceeding?
: It's not, really. We have another meeting coming up...
: We're supposed to talk about Mr. Edgeworth's motive...
: His motive?
: See, Mr. Edgeworth's father died in the DL-6 Incident... And the guy who got the lone suspect declared innocent was the victim in this case... Robert Hammond.
: They're saying that's why Mr. Edgeworth shot him.
: (And Edgeworth never talks about his past... I bet they'll drag that out and hit him with it in court tomorrow, too...)
: Poor Edgeworth...
: I gotta admit, it doesn't look good, pal.

: Say, Detective Gumshoe. Do you know "Gourdy"?
: The monster down in Gourd Lake? Not personally, no.
: Well... we're looking for him.
: Huh!? Are you out of your minds!?
: Eeek!
: You got time to go wild monster hunting!? How about doing a little questioning for me then!?
: Oh...
: Detective Gumshoe is scaring me, Nick.

: Nick! Try telling him sooner next time!
: Er, sorry.

: I see, pal. Sorry for shoutin' at you.
: Okay!
: I, Detective Gumshoe, will aid your search for Gourdy!
: H-huh!?
: I'll loan you one of our newest secret weapons for finding evidence!
: Really!?
: You can take whichever one you like!

: Okay, give us the goods!
: Hold on now, everything in due time. First, let me show 'em to you!
: These are our best and brightest!
: Introducing Secret Weapon No. 1: "Missile"!
: M-M-Missile?
: He's a K-9 police dog, still in training!
: Missile! Missile! Here, boy...

: Here he is.
: Hey, he's cute! Look, Nick! Cute dog!
: (A cute dog... And this will help us... how?)
: Woof.
: Next, Secret Weapon No. 2... A fishing pole!

: Detective Gumshoe... we're looking for a monster...
: Yeah!
: How are we supposed to catch a whole sea monster with a fishing pole!?
: Never know 'til you try, pal!
: ...!
: Okay, this next one is the last one.
: (No, please, I'm already overwhelmed by our choices.)
: Secret Weapon No. 3! A metal detector!

: Detective Gumshoe... we're looking for something alive.
: Right!
: How are we supposed to find it with a metal detector!?
: Hey, you never know! It might have been eating soda cans!
: Well, which will it be!?
: I can't make up my mind, Nick. They all seem so perfect!
: I can't make up my mind, either... for the totally opposite reason.

: Can we borrow Missile?
: Sure thing, pal. Be good to 'im!
: Woof.
: He's sooooo cute!
: (Oh boy...)

And so we acquire K-9 unit Missile.

Back to the lake!

: Hmm?
: Missile's been acting strangely...
: "Missile"? Oh, oh right.

: Hey, I love lil' doggies! Good boy, good boy.

: Wh-what's wrong, Missile?

: Missile! Missssssssssile!

: Wh-whoa! S-stop that thing! C-cannibal! It's eating my Samurai Dogs! ...!

: My Samurai Dogs... *sniff*
: Wow. He ate every single one.
: I'm sorry, Larry...
: "Sorry"!? "Sorry" don't pay my bills, Nick!
: Ah hah hah... (It's going to have to this time...)

If we then present Missile...

: Isn't he cute?
: K-keep that mutt away from me!
: What am I going to tell the big boss?
: There's a "big boss" in charge of your hot dog stand?
: Nick! Maybe the stand is a front for a mafia money laundering scheme!!!
: Maya... I think you should probably try to look a little sorry about what happened.
: Oh, right!
: Heh... My poor dogs...

Okay, so Missile was a bust.

: Detective Gumshoe, can we borrow one of the other things?
: Hmm? Yeah, sure, pal! But I have to take back the last one I lent you, department policy.

: Can we borrow that flimsy-looking fishing pole?
: Sure thing, pal. Oh, if it breaks, be sure to dispose of it properly, okay?
: Er... right.

Back to the lake, to show Larry the rod.

: I'm not after small fry.
: I'm after the biggest fry of them all... Gourdy!
: You really going to try to fish out a monster?
: To save Edgeworth, yes!
: Brings a tear to my eye, in more ways than one.

And now, into the woods.

: Okay, Nick, this looks like a good spot!
: A good spot... for what?

: (She's serious...) Umm... What are you going to use for bait?
: Oh...
: Yeah. "Oh."
: Mmm...
: I figured something like this would happen.

: N-Nick...! How could you!
: I'm kidding! I'm kidding!
: Hmph! Some jokes are better left untold.
: (Oof! She hit me!)
: Okay...
: Watch this, Nick!
: Just try not to reel in any empty cans or boots, okay?
: Here we go! Ack! M-my leg!

: Hey! Wh-what are you doing!
: Sorry, Lotta...
: Don't tell me y'all are on some film company's payroll!
: Nick, pay her.
: (Dear, dear...)

Well, that didn't go so well. But perhaps that last one...?

: Can we borrow that metal detector?
: Sure thing, pal.
: I'm not sure what we're going to find with this...
: Remember: you're hunting for a monster. Anything is possible! Anything!

And now, off to the park. Specifically, the boat rental.

: N-Nick! It's beeping! The metal detector's found something!
: Sure is loud enough about it. (Whatever it is, it must be in those bushes...) Go check it out, Maya.
: Why do I have to check it out?

But she does.

: ... Nick.

: Huh...? An air tank? Huh. The valve looks broken.
: I thought it was Gourdy...
: Maya, first of all... Why would Gourdy be in the bushes!? And second of all, why would a metal detector react to a sea monster!?
: Oh.
: Huh?

: (It looks like... a string of flags...?)
: Well, we might as well take it with us now that we've found it.
: (It's heavy...)

I don't normally share these images, but this one was great.

Next time: We continue to fumble around like idiots.

Short Titles Act 1892 (long version), 55 ^ 56 Bict. c.10, England posted:

An Act to facilitate the Citation of Sundry Acts of Parliament.
Be it enacted, &c., as follows:
1. -
(1.) Each of the acts mentioned in the first schedule to this act may, without prejudice to any other mode of citation, be cited by the short titles therein mentioned in that behalf.
(2.) Each of the groups of acts mentioned in the second schedule of this act may [...] be cited by the collective title therein mentioned in that behalf[...]
2. This act may be cited as the Short Titles Act, 1892.

Mors Rattus fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Aug 6, 2016

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Is Missile a Ghost Trick reference, by any chance? :allears:

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Yvonmukluk posted:

Other way around. This game is rather older.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Both are references to the writer's own adorable Pomeranian. :3:

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

Mors Rattus posted:

: Anyway, if I can't get a career-making photo this time around... Then that's it! I'll quite and go back to school.

And this appears to be about the point I gave up in my playthrough, I don't remember a thing about department secret weapons. (Missile :3:)

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

AlphaKretin posted:

Oh that's just adorable.
Ghost trick spoilers:
He wrote a game about how his dog is the best goddamn dog in the world.

Tax Refund
Apr 15, 2011

The IRS gave me a refund. I spent it on this SA account. What was I thinking?!
Okay, time to speculate:

"Gourdy" is an inflatable... thing, just like Nick's inflatable Steel Samurai figure. It may even be Nick's inflatable Steel Samurai figure, photographed from a great distance. Looking at the map of Gourd Lake, there's an area of land (or beach) across the lake from where Nick's hotdog stand is. If Nick's Samurai figurine somehow popped, that would explain the bang. But wait, if it popped he wouldn't have had time to repair it, and how would it show up on a photo?

Okay, I think I got it. I've looked over the past few pages. The Samurai figure is missing on the 25th when we go look at the lake, but it's back on the 26th. Nick says the compressor had been broken for a few days... but that figure is bringing him a lot of business, so he must have used air tanks until he got his compressor back. The air tank has flags wrapped around it, suggesting that at some point, it got launched into the air and pulled down some of Nick's flag banners. So here's the scenario: the connector between the air tank and the Steel Samurai figure is loose, and lets go with a loud BANG noise, just as some tourist is about to take a picture. The dark thing slipping into the water is the air tank coming back down after being launched in the air.

That accounts for the Gourdy photo, I think. But what about on the night of the 24th? (Or, technically, just after the 25th began?) The second BANG was definitely a gunshot, but what was the first BANG sound? Did the air tank let go again, just at that moment? Maybe the victim had sabotaged Nick's Steel Samurai figure so that the air tank would let go at a specific time, and was planning to shoot Edgeworth (rather than himself) under the cover of that BANG noise. But he mistimed it, and so there were two BANG sounds, not just one. When he heard the first one, he realized his plan had failed, so he improvised a plan to shoot himself and frame Edgeworth for it. ... Except how did he expect to get the gun into Edgeworth's hand after shooting himself in the heart? And the powder burns are all wrong. No, that one doesn't work.

At any rate, I'm persuaded this air tank is the "real" Gourdy, and that it's connected with one of the BANG sounds we heard. How the rest of it fits, I don't know yet.

Or... hmm. The gun was fired THREE times, but Lotta only heard TWO shots that night. Maybe the gun's first firing was at on a different night?

Okay, WILD speculation. Is it possible to rig an air compressor tank so that it will shoot a bullet out of its valve? Maybe the victim had an elaborate plan to kill Edgeworth and make it look like Edgeworth had committed suicide. He fires a bullet once so that its ballistics will match the gun; he fired it into something soft like ballistics gel (which Mythbusters taught me about), so that he can retrieve the bullet undamaged. Then during the boat ride, he hands Edgeworth the gun, and gets the boat to the mark he'd set earlier (when he tested this earlier, hence the SECOND bullet missing from the gun. That earlier test is what launched the air tank into the air, producing the Gourdy photo). His intention is that the bullet will be shot out of the air tank and hit Edgeworth somewhere fatal: the heart, the head, it woudn't matter for this plan. Then Edgeworth's fingerprints will be on the gun that he (apparently) killed himself with: an obvious suicide. But he doesn't get the boat perfectly lined up, and the bullet hits HIM instead. Or, better theory: the bullet misses him, but the sound makes Edgeworth's finger involuntarily tighten on the trigger. So Edgeworth did shoot the victim, but it wasn't murder: accidental homicide at worst. But Edgeworth knows that his hand fired the fatal shot, so he doesn't want to testify.

I don't particularly like this theory, as the victim's plan (in this theory) makes NO sense, and would be a terrible plan. But it's just far-fetched enough that it could happen.

... Decided to go the whole hog on speculating this time. Pretty sure I'm right about the first half of that, but the part after I say "Or... hmm" is total and complete guesswork at this point.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
His name is Larry, not Nick. Phoenix is Nick

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Yvonmukluk posted:

Nah, this Missile came first. Though I do believe that there's an episode in the anime of Edgeworth adopting the actual Missile from Ghost Trick.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

AlphaKretin posted:

Agreed

Edit: FYI for folks who haven't played Ghost Trick. If you go searching for more Missile pics, you could very well run right into spoiler territory. He's an important little pup!

VibrantPareidolia
Oct 12, 2012
Basically don't search anything about Ghost Trick or Missile until you've played the game, which everybody should do, it's super good!

Have an irl Missile instead

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

AlphaKretin posted:

:objection: The dog pictured in this game is clearly a Shiba Inu!

Cangelosi
Nov 17, 2004

"It's cute," he said to himself warily, "but it's not normal."
I have a few funny fanpictures that come from this specific trial, but I think I need to wait until the end to show them.

Also, the flags on the airtank, does it mean the French are involved in this crime as well?

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.

Cangelosi posted:

Also, the flags on the airtank, does it mean the French are involved in this crime as well?

The conspiracy goes all the way up to the U.N.!

Edgey, you're pretty screwed.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

kw0134 posted:

:objection: The dog pictured in this game is clearly a Shiba Inu!
It's still a name reference, but I guess a police pomeranian would have looked too silly. (Or so adorable that it'd distract from the case)

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

Haifisch posted:

It's still a name reference, but I guess a police pomeranian would have looked too silly. (Or so adorable that it'd distract from the case)

Maybe, but the police dog is a Shibu Inu because that's silly to begin with, though.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
You know who'd be really great at getting to the bottom of what a lake monster was? Edgeworth. We need him here by telepresence or something.

Keltena
Feb 18, 2013
So here's a neat thing I thought some people in this thread might appreciate. Some years back a group of fans got together to make a musical adaptation of this game, titled Turnabout Musical, and while they never quite managed to bring the whole thing together they did release a complete soundtrack of original songs covering major scenes--some of which are actually really good. One of the best ones, imo, is their version of the Gumshoe scene we just saw, mostly because the guy playing Gumshoe is fantastic.

(Other highlights from earlier parts of the game include Redd White being Redd White, Maya applying for a job at Wright & Co. Law Offices, and Edgeworth monologuing dramatically in song for six minutes after the Steel Samurai case.)

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
That's pretty close to what I would imagine Gumshoe sounding like, admittedly, at least in musical adaptation.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

Shady Amish Terror posted:

That's pretty close to what I would imagine Gumshoe sounding like, admittedly, at least in musical adaptation.

I've always imagined him being voiced by Patrick Warburton

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

The Ayshkerbundy posted:

I've always imagined him being voiced by Patrick Warburton

Eh, Warburton's too smooth. We either need a Fred Flintstone type, or if we want downtrodden the brother from Everyone Loves Raymond.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

Keltena posted:

So here's a neat thing I thought some people in this thread might appreciate. Some years back a group of fans got together to make a musical adaptation of this game, titled Turnabout Musical, and while they never quite managed to bring the whole thing together they did release a complete soundtrack of original songs covering major scenes--some of which are actually really good. One of the best ones, imo, is their version of the Gumshoe scene we just saw, mostly because the guy playing Gumshoe is fantastic.

(Other highlights from earlier parts of the game include Redd White being Redd White, Maya applying for a job at Wright & Co. Law Offices, and Edgeworth monologuing dramatically in song for six minutes after the Steel Samurai case.)

Thanks for this! I never knew this existed! I feel like I'm going to have to listen to all of it at some point.

Graceful Graveler
May 18, 2009
Whew, I caught up with the thread! I'm really glad about this LP, I'm a huge fan of Ace Attorney and I love seeing everyone's speculation and the general love that shines through the posts of everyone who's already played the games. :allears: Keep up the great work, OP! I'll be following the thread avidly.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Another Phoenix Wright fan here. I've played all the DS editions, so I won't be speculating on anything for a while, but I will be gushing about the art, the music, the everything...

Malah
May 18, 2015

Of all the many questions I have about this case, can anyone explain what the hell is up with Lotta's hair?

BlackPersona
Oct 21, 2012

Malah posted:

Of all the many questions I have about this case, can anyone explain what the hell is up with Lotta's hair?

Pretty sure it's just an afro.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING
Yeah judging by actual physical features Lotta's character designer clearly intended her to be a black woman, but then some bright spark was like, "I like mayonnaise. Hint hint."

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Dr. Buttass posted:

Yeah judging by actual physical features Lotta's character designer clearly intended her to be a black woman, but then some bright spark was like, "I like mayonnaise. Hint hint."
That's nowhere close to how Japanese animators draw black people.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I have never had an avatar since I joined 6 years ago because I never had anything I deemed worth spending money on.

Now I do. Not getting it now because I'm broke but thank you in advance.

So I'm glad I was just randomly looking at the LP forum and found this. I was so sad when the last Phoenix Wright LP ended right at this case because this was my favorite part of the first game and I only ever finished the first game. (started 2 but wasn't too interested) I love melodrama and this case is dripping with it. Melodrama has a bad rep with people but it can be done well. Many/most operas are melodrama, after all.

I loved Von Karma as a villain and we're only getting started with his dickery.

There's also a really good track I think you only hear in this case and I am not sure if we've heard it yet. I';ll keep an eye and ear out for it in future updates. This game has great music in addition to great writing.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Case 4 - Turnabout Goodbyes
Investigation (Day 2) - Part 3

We should probably go talk to Larry about that air tank we found, given the flags.

: What about it?

: Have you ever seen this before?
: Huh? Me? N-no. Never. Who the heck would go diving in the middle of the winter!
: (There's something about the way his eye twitched when I showed him the tank... I think I'd better pursue this line of questioning a little further...)

: Say... is this air tank yours?
: Wh-why would I have a thing like that?

: It's just like the string of flags around your Steel Samurai there.

: M-must be a coincidence! There're strings of flags everywhere these days!
: L-like elementary schools! A-and used car dealerships!

: You used this to go diving in the lake, didn't you?
: Wh-why the heck would I go diving in the lake!?
: Wait!
: You... you're not...
: You're not saying I had something to do with that murder!?
: N-no, not at all, just...
: Hey, you watch it buddy! I'm not saying anything until my lawyer gets here!
: Larry... Nick is your lawyer.
: Well, Larry? She's right.
: Bah! A-anyway, I never seen that air tank! Okay?
: (Yeah, right... Larry is hiding something, I can tell...)

: You used this to inflate that, didn't you?
: I-inflate what!?
: What else? That big puffy Steel Samurai!
: !!! ...
: N-now why would you go asking me a question like that.
: (Looks like I hit the nail on the head.)
: Right... right... Actually, umm...
: See, the compressor I always use was on the fritz. So I tried using the tank to inflate it, just once. And, er, it didn't go so well.

: It "didn't go so well"?
: Er, yeah.
: Do you think you could be a little more specific?
: C-c'mon... Look, it's embarrassing so I really don't want to talk about it...
: Tell us! Tell us!
: Fine.
: Whatever. It's like what I said, the compressor was busted. So I took the tank and tried to fill the Samurai up with that.
: And then...

: And that tank there took off like a rocket. And it took my poor deflated Steel Samurai with it!

: It sure scared me out of my gourd, that's for sure.

: So, the tank and the Steel Samurai you were trying to fill up flew away...
: What happened next?
: Well, all that happened on the 20th or so.
: (The 20th... a week ago.)
: Now, as far as I could see, the tank went flying out into the lake. So I went out every night in a boat looking for it. I mean, Kiyance gave me that Steel Samurai after all!
: And when did you find it?
: Just the night before last!

: (The night before last... was the night of the murder!)

: Actually, I was here on the night of the murder.
: But, you see, I went home before midnight.
: So you didn't know about what happened?
: No...
: That's too bad...
: It's not all bad. We've solved one mystery at least.
: A mystery...?
: (Maybe we should go tell her...)

Good plan, Nick.

: Well, Mister Lawyer? I've got the info y'all need!

: It's not going to be that easy to find him, you know.
: You'd better hurry or you won't have that info in time for the trial tomorrow!
: (Uh oh...)

Either of the other two works, though.

: Huh? Gourdy? Oh, we found him already.
: What!? I haven't seen any monsters yet!
: Y-y'all for real!? Gourdy really exists!?
: Wait!

: Lotta... There is no such thing as Gourdy.
: Wh-what!? How can y'all be so sure!
: R-really, Nick!?
: Y'all got some proof Gourdy don't exist!?

We'll be going from the 'We found Gourdy' option but they're essentially the same. If we say we have proof...

: Of course I have proof.
: No fair, Nick! It was when I went to the bathroom, wasn't it!?
: That's when you made contact with Gourdy!

: What're y'all doing with an air tank?
: This... is Gourdy.
: Umm... scuze me?
: Wh-what exactly are you saying, Nick?
: There's a stand near here... a hotdog stand.

: About a week ago, an idiot, who happens to be a friend of mine, tried to fill it.

: Apparently, it made a pretty loud "bang" when it flew...
: A "bang"...?

: At the same time...

: This photo!
: Wait... So... you're saying that Gourdy...

: Well, that's a fine way to ruin a gal's dreams.
: I'm sorry, Lotta.
: Nah, it's okay, you win. I'll give you your info, like I promised.
: Poor Lotta...

: So, tell us this "information" you have.
: A promise is a promise, I guess...
: I overheard the cops around here saying something about the witness tomorrow... They said he's the caretaker of the boat rental place up the path here.
: Boat rental...?

: Just an old guy, living all by himself. Y'all should go check it out.
: Thanks, Lotta! We will!
: Let's get cracking, Nick!
: Hold on.
: Something else?
: Yeah... the night of the murder. My camera clicked twice, you know.

: Well...

: I figured it wouldn't be much use as evidence, so I kept it to myself.
: Well, it might not be helpful at all, but...
: Here, take it.

: Bye now. Y'all take care.
: Time for me to pack up and leave.

She leaves.

: Poor Lotta...
: It's all Larry's fault. The legend still lives on, I guess.
: The "legend"...?
: Yeah, the legend of Larry, familiar to all who know him for any length of time... "When something smells, it's usually the Butz."
: Hmm.
: Someone should whip that Butz into shape.

So, let's check out that boat shop.

: Hey. Nick!
: This is the boat shop that Lotta was talking about!
: You're right. Doesn't seem to be anyone around at all.
: Well, let's go check it out anyway!

There's nothing new to look at, but there's somewhere new to go.

: Eeek!

He sways back and forth constantly when he isn't talking.

: Where have you two been! I've been worried sick.
: N-Nick... you handle this.
: Uh, I think I'll leave this one up to you, Maya.
: Meg!
: Y-yes!?
: Finally made up your mind, have you?
: M-my mind?
: You'll run the pasta shop when I'm gone?
: P-pasta?
: Glad to hear it, glad to hear it! You make your old man proud.

: How'm I supposed to keep this place running, an old man like me?

: N-Nick! What was that!?
: A parrot... the one on that perch.
: Keith!
: Y-yes!?
: I leave the "Wet Noodle" in your capable hands, sonny.
: N-Nick? What's the "Wet Noodle"?
: Um, based on the available evidence, I'd say it's the name of his pasta shop.
: That's a relif, isn't it, Polly?
: "Hello! Hello!" *squawk*
: Ayup...

: He fell asleep...
: I guess he's relieved.

While he's napping, we can look around.

: Looks like a kitchen unit. It's pretty clean. Funny, he doesn't look like the type who'd keep things tidy like that.
: You're forgetting, Nick...
: He's running a pasta shop, here!

: Wow... what an amazing parrot that is.
: Good morning!
: "..."
: Hello!
: "..."
: He ignored me!

: What, you forgot, Meg? You gotta call her name first!
: Her name?
: Polly! How ya been!?
: "Hello! Hello!" *squawk*
: See?
: Neat! So the parrot's name is "Polly"!

: Too bad all she can say is "hello"...
: Har har har! Old Polly can say lots of things!
: You just need to know the secret words!
: The "secret words"...?

: Look, Nick, he has an electric blanket on his table! Looks warm!
: That's a great idea, we should do that at the office.
: We can sit down with our clients, snug and warm, and drink hot cocoa!
: And what, talk about murders?
: Aw, you're a party pooper, Nick!

: Wow, there's a lot of various fish in Gourd Lake, aren't there!
: ...? Something's funny, Nick. All these fish are saltwater fish.

: This fishing pole looks expensive.

: Wow, he has a television in here, too.

: Look, a little safe! Hmm...
: It's locked.

Next time: Trying to talk to the crazy old man.

Lei No. 3.770, de 4 Novembro de 2009, Diario de Mato Grosso do Sul, de 5.11.2009 (Brazil) (translated) posted:

Article 1. Cell phone companies installed in the State of Mato Grosso do Sul must provide a 50% (fifty percent) discount on their rates to citizens suffering from disturbances in the timing and fluency of speech.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Because we haven't met enough crazy people yet :allears:

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

It's kind of a stupid thing to put into law but I can vaguely see the logic in wanting phone rates to be cheaper for people who would take longer to talk.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

theshim posted:

Yeah, I don't... really see why you would have to distinguish between all the eccentrics we've met that have been some form of crazy... really, and old man that calls everybody his kids and has a parrot and a noodle shop doesn't seem too out there.

Though I suppose all the weirdos do blindside you to the explanations to things that turn out surprisingly logical, such as where Gourdy came from. Weird poo poo has happened while people do crazy things, and they do get mistaken for the "mysterious" and let the rumor mill take over from there. But seriously, all that hulabaloo from Larry's fuckup... Nick ought to bill him for all the mony he spent on Lotta's fancy camera.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The "Uncle" tag is kind of a weird misstep in the translation of this series. The original Japanese tag had to have said "Oji-san," which does mean "uncle," but is also used as a general term to refer to men around middle age.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

theshim posted:

I don't think there are any sane people in Japanifornia besides Nick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen

Waffleman_ posted:

The "Uncle" tag is kind of a weird misstep in the translation of this series. The original Japanese tag had to have said "Oji-san," which does mean "uncle," but is also used as a general term to refer to men around middle age.

To be fair, that's still pretty commonly used to refer to someone if you've got a Chinese background. Can't speak for any other backgrounds, though.

• Locked thread