Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Captain Invictus posted:

But the way it went down just made it so flaccid

Did he really have to inject the whole dose into one dude? Like would it have just given them a mutant half titan or something if he split it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

Maybe it's One Piece devil fruit logic where 1 bite and the power's yours; 1 drop in this case.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
The basement will be wall to wall loving syringes.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Nuebot posted:

Did he really have to inject the whole dose into one dude? Like would it have just given them a mutant half titan or something if he split it?
they only had one titan shifter available to eat

although turning them both into mindless titans and having only one turn into a shifter I might have preferred, then they'd have to escape from the fresh erwin or armin titan and let them roam around as a mindless titan

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Sub Harrison posted:

Does everyone gain the memories of a shifter upon consumption, or was that something special for the Reiss titan's memory powers? I really want to see the basement next chapter, but I fear it'll be Armin having a flashback of Bert Rein and Annie's past.

I think that had something specifically to do with the Coordinate.

Kraus
Jan 17, 2008
I don't know about y'all, but it was extremely satisfying to watch Bert receive his comeuppance like that.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
I dunno, Bert was the iconic antagonist of the series and the fact he went down without doing anything (Armin's dramatic sacrifice was negated, so all Bert did was kill Hange's redshirt squad, some last hurrah that is) is really disappointing. It almost feels unearned. I'd have much preferred Reiner to be eaten because he has totally ceased being a threat to anyone and just gets wrecked constantly, whereas Bertolt could have still hosed things up.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Yeah, I'm not even a little bit satisfied with seeing Bert get eaten. For someone who ruined so many lives he just gets munched on, unlike Chuckles who had an entire swath of Titans descend upon him at the behest of a pissed off Eren and he's not even really a character.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Who cares, Bert sucks.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Everyone is bad right now

Squack McQuack
Nov 20, 2013

by Modern Video Games
I enjoyed it. :tipshat:

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Being upset that Armin gets a reprieve is weird given it was a known fact they had a Titan serum the entire time and everyone specifically said, "use the titan serum on him" right when he got burned.

Making you think someone died and they didn't isn't inherently bad storytelling and even character resurrection isn't a bad trope when you are specifically given clues that it could happen. It wasn't even cheap - they specifically only have 1 serum and Erwin had to die for Armin to get it.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
its not that bad imo. a lot of people getting upset at armin being burned to a crisp in a series with a serum that turns you into a mindless giant and 3d gear

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
How did the author manage to make the death of literally the most prominent antagonist feel like a complete afterthought

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Jose posted:

its not that bad imo. a lot of people getting upset at armin being burned to a crisp in a series with a serum that turns you into a mindless giant and 3d gear
It's a series that rationalizes various aspects of its fantasy parts such as the 3d gear and titans well enough to not create much storytelling dissonance in the narrative. There is no such explanation for how plucked'n'barbecued armin then hurtled to the earth and smashed into a roof in his crispy and delicious state and wasn't dead before he hit the ground. He just somehow did, through the power of plot armor.

It would be like if someone in law and order got a full clip of an ak47 emptied into their guts and then the next scene is them being operated on in a hospital to save them, as if they hadn't died halfway through being unloaded into. It's something you don't "just survive" given the tone of the series, without it damaging the tension of the series.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Aug 7, 2016

Thoren
May 28, 2008
Screw it. I enjoyed it.

Can't wait to see Giant loving Armin.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

It disappoints me because an encounter between Annie and Bert if she ever got out of her crystal would have been really interesting.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Thoren posted:

Screw it. I enjoyed it.

Can't wait to see Giant loving Armin.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
I really want to see a heel-face turn from Annie, but then I remember all the people she murdered.

Then again, so did Eren.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

I enjoyed the chapter because it pretty much lays out the future. The only one who can defeat the titans is a demon. Whoever dies here, dies a hero forever. Both characters were reluctant but ultimately sacrificed the thing they wanted the most out of life for humanity. Yeah this is actually good writing. So by bringing Armin back, he's going to have to slide off the slippery slope from now on. Armin might change enough that the Armin that was responsible for victory did actually die in Shiganshina.

quote:

How did the author manage to make the death of literally the most prominent antagonist feel like a complete afterthought

I dunno I feel bad for him, but at the same time he gets exactly what he deserves. It's a one panel deal but he goes out completely in touch with his characterization. Berthold is basically a nazi prison guard camp. He might feel bad about what he's doing, and doesn't want to do it. But feels that he can't really do anything about it and it's justified because of that. Only the prisoners don't know why they're in the prison and they have a guy who can literally defeat the entire nazi army effortlessly if he learns how to. The fact he cries out Annie and Reiner to help him is just in line with the kind of person he is.

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Aug 7, 2016

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Fwiw Levi was cool this chapter

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
levi is more interesting than mikasa

mikasa more like mary suekasa :smugdog:

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Fister Roboto posted:

The basement contains a serum that will bring back all the people who ever died! Yay!

In the basement they find 7 dragonballs...

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

It's a series that rationalizes various aspects of its fantasy parts such as the 3d gear and titans well enough to not create much storytelling dissonance in the narrative. There is no such explanation for how plucked'n'barbecued armin then hurtled to the earth and smashed into a roof in his crispy and delicious state and wasn't dead before he hit the ground. He just somehow did, through the power of plot armor.

It would be like if someone in law and order got a full clip of an ak47 emptied into their guts and then the next scene is them being operated on in a hospital to save them, as if they hadn't died halfway through being unloaded into. It's something you don't "just survive" given the tone of the series, without it damaging the tension of the series.

like i think it would be better had he died but this is an overreaction. the series is not our world and our rules dont apply and you're annoyed about the fact that in this specific case they don't

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

It disappoints me because an encounter between Annie and Bert if she ever got out of her crystal would have been really interesting.
This does raise a question: how will Armin react now that he's got Bert's memories, including his secret crush on Annie?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

The author had to pick from two choices

And he chose the less interesting and satisfying one, that's all.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Jose posted:

like i think it would be better had he died but this is an overreaction. the series is not our world and our rules dont apply and you're annoyed about the fact that in this specific case they don't

The problem isn't that characters aren't allowed to come back from the dead in a fiction, where obviously real world rules aren't necessarily applicable.
The problem is that, in the particular fiction of AoT, characters have not come back from the dead, until now Armin has.

AoT is breaking it's own rules.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Schwarzwald posted:

The problem isn't that characters aren't allowed to come back from the dead in a fiction, where obviously real world rules aren't necessarily applicable.
The problem is that, in the particular fiction of AoT, characters have not come back from the dead, until now Armin has.

...Eren.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Erin never died though

I am baffled when people use this as an example of what's wrong with aot, because eren never died, it's the standard Didn't See The Corpse cliche you always see in comic books. No body, he ain't dead, just because he lost an arm and a leg don't mean diddly

Armin was such a well-done roast by the end of 82 that it flash-fried his clothes and hair off. In a series with supposedly human characters who die from realistic wounds (such as, oh, let's use a recent, relevant example, erwin), armin being turned into a flame-seared side of meat in midair and then impacting a rooftop from like a hundred feet up is pretty immersion-shattering

Edit: much like the immersion, his bones should have shattered and eviscerated his internal organs like shish-kabob'd steak tips at that point

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Aug 7, 2016

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Schwarzwald posted:

Armin was never dead though. He was moments from it, but he was still breathing. The problem is Armin had a fair and full arc and this really cuts into his heroic sacrifice and the extent of his wounds stretches the suspension of disbelief.

I still hold the notion this will pay off, and the Armin that wakes up will end up being a different person by story's end. The Armin we experienced the series with up to this point probably died in Shiganshina.

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Aug 8, 2016

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

McTimmy posted:

...Eren.

Eren's survived because of his titan power. Bert and Ernie later survive similar seemingly fatal injuries because of the same titan power. If either of them (or another shifter) were burned to a crisp I would not be too surprised that they would survive.

Armin explicitly did not have titan power. He was only given titan power afterwards, when he should by all rights already be quite dead--when other characters who were as badly injured did die.

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son
the only good thing here was seeing Bert's stupid loving head getting crushed

what a loving mess

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

Erin never died though

I am baffled when people use this as an example of what's wrong with aot, because eren never died, it's the standard Didn't See The Corpse cliche you always see in comic books. No body, he ain't dead, just because he lost an arm and a leg don't mean diddly

Armin was such a well-done roast by the end of 82 that it flash-fried his clothes and hair off. In a series with supposedly human characters who die from realistic wounds (such as, oh, let's use a recent, relevant example, erwin), armin being turned into a flame-seared side of meat in midair and then impacting a rooftop from like a hundred feet up is pretty immersion-shattering

Edit: much like the immersion, his bones should have shattered and eviscerated his internal organs like shish-kabob'd steak tips at that point

When Erwin got his arm munched off, the shock alone would have killed him but somehow he works his way up to Reiner with one arm and his bleeding stump to get Eren to safety.

I do not understand how it is so hard to fathom that Armin could possibly be barely alive when you don't even bat an eye at scenes like that. Hell how the corps use the 3d Manuever gear just would not work at the speeds they used in real life, they'd be killing themselves more than the Titans would with that type of stuff. It's just so pedantic and it doesn't really matter because the meat of the past two chapters was on the choice and the potential consequences where was done really well, but you've somehow fixated on this one small thing that doesn't really matter and ignored that the actual content of the chapter was good.

He's barely alive and will die relatively shortly, instantly killing would be what normally happens yeah but we can work with the fact he's barely alive and now they have to make a choice between him and Erwin.

I understand where you're coming from, but honestly its such a small thing that you're blowing up for no reason.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Again the logistics are not the problem with this, it's an emotional climax that caps off as an actual end to the character. No part of the writing for that chapter implied Armin was alive or even close to alive, his sacrifice happened the way it did to let them get the advantage and it came at the cost of his life in a climactic end to the character that very much portrayed it as his end. It also brought about a myriad of possibilities as to how the cast has to live and adapt to one of the central characters dying, which now does not exist and we're basically back to the status quo on that front. Bert is now no longer a factor so some stuff has change,d but Bert has not a been a character with self-serving goals literally the entirety of his existence so he's basically been a higher-level schmuck for a long time since they kidnapped Eren. The road to the basement and taking back Wall Maria has opened up, so big things have happened, but this still feels like a really lovely way to shock the reader and then try to not actually commit to the decisions you made.

The only character who felt like they were actually being a character this chapter is Levi.

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~

Captain Invictus posted:

Yeah this is some serious bullshit, I hope the author loses their medical license.

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~
A true professional would have spent at least an hour studying GIS results for "full-body burns" before putting pen to paper. loving quack probably never even saw Faces of Death 2-5, heh.

Xy Hapu
Mar 7, 2004

This interesting, civil discussion being interrupted by shitposting out of nowhere reminds me of that time in Attack on Titan when everything was surprising and good but then suddenly wasn't.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

This bloke lived like 3 months with medical treatment after taknig a massive dose of radiation and looked a lot like armin did in the photo they took. Its a pretty grim picture mind

:nms:

http://www.iflscience.com/physics/effect-radiation-body0/

Xy Hapu
Mar 7, 2004

I may be going out on a limb here, but I don't think anyone is actually arguing about the medical realism, it gets brought up necessarily since it's integral to the author's portrayal of what happened but no one actually cares about that specifically over the larger point. Which is that this was terrible 'he's dead I'm serious guys' 'ha fooled you!' cartoon-writing.

I mean he got away with it when Eren first turned titan but only just barely, because he'd spent the entire rest of the manga showing the reader that when people die, they stay dead, and he cashed all of that in for this one moment to make it semi plausible Eren was truly dead, and even then had to pull titan-forming out of his rear end (from the reader's viewpoint) to do it. I wasn't a total fan of what happened, but I could respect his setup and execution, and thought, 'if that's what he wanted to do, at least he did it the right way and worked for it.'

This time he just took the lazy way out and said, 'well I got nothing, I guess I'll give him a heroic goodbye and make him look really dead and have Eren act like he's dead to trick everyone'. He ended up either not tricking people at all because of the hamfistedness of the serum stuff or successfully tricking people because they trusted him not to do something so dumb and blatantly manipulative. Total lose-lose situation, I honestly cannot think what good came of doing it this way except piss people off or just make them go 'yeah I guess that was gonna happen, cool I guess?'

I can see how people found the chapter overall decent but I don't think anyone can argue the Armin cliffhanger wasn't total garbage writing, they could have easily kept everything the same, just not insulted the audience for a single fleeting 'omg he's dead' moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

free basket of chips
Sep 7, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Can we get to the basement now please