Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
High Rank Guild is all over the place, isn't it? Seltas is a little bitch but Plesioth is an invincible terror to fight. Is his equipment like, super incredible and powerful to make up for it? I still haven't been able to kill him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zenemarch
Oct 20, 2012
Glavenus' tail is so drat wiggly! What a pain. It does come off eventually, right?

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Calaveron posted:

High Rank Guild is all over the place, isn't it? Seltas is a little bitch but Plesioth is an invincible terror to fight. Is his equipment like, super incredible and powerful to make up for it? I still haven't been able to kill him.

Plesioth is a giant rear end in a top hat fish and always has been. His armor is alright but nothing too special.

Seltas by himself is more of a preview for the fight with Seltas Queen, which was legitimately one of my favorite new monsters in 4U and one I'm really glad they brought back for Gen.

Squidtentacle
Jul 25, 2016

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

Well, yesterday I made a great sword out of crab claws and killed a Sand/Shark/Wyvern horror show with it. I have no idea what I'm shooting for early game or what I need my cat dudes to do or even have a replacement armor for my starter stuff but I'm having fun with it.

Aerial greatsword sounds fun. Are there any other ways to activate the hunter skills or so a I have to hit the button on my touchpad each time?

If you have a new 3DS or Circle Pad Pro, 2 and 3 are activated with ZL and ZR, respectively. R+A+B will activate the first art on any 3DS.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Fauxtool posted:

how can i do the prowler quest where you have to break the hermitaur shell? I keep killing him before it breaks.

If you read the quest description, you'll notice that it tells you to mount it. I think mounting it 5 times is enough to get a break? Easy enough in the area you fight it.

zenemarch posted:

Glavenus' tail is so drat wiggly! What a pain. It does come off eventually, right?

Yeah, it breaks once then comes off. I don't think I've ever actually seen this happen in MP, though. The tail carves aren't uncommon as quest rewards, so whatever.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
Thanks. I have the NES special edition 3DS so I'm not sure if I actually have Z buttons.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Like seriously I think I vaguely remember the Plesioth hammer to be shaped like its head but it really should be shaped like its hips and should be a one-hit kill on anything

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Calaveron posted:

Like seriously I think I vaguely remember the Plesioth hammer to be shaped like its head but it really should be shaped like its hips and should be a one-hit kill on anything

Hit box should extend to 10 feet behind you.

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

katkillad2 posted:

I got a +8 attack 3 slot talisman while charm farming, how much better can a pure attack talisman get? After way too many runs trying to get that bow talisman it's nice to get something good.

Attack caps out at +10 so you got pretty close to the max. It's a great charm, with a 2 slot weapon you have Atk M just from your charm and weapon which is a big deal.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I kinda wish they had made Frenzy Res a decoration only skill or rolled it into biology. Seeing it on armor feels like a complete waste (Thunderlord Armor!). I guess the only time it's useful is if you're using the frenzy art or on the 7 or 8 missions against the magalas.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

zenemarch posted:

The tail can't be cut off unless it is glowing red from him sharpening it.

Squidtentacle
Jul 25, 2016

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

Thanks. I have the NES special edition 3DS so I'm not sure if I actually have Z buttons.

I don't have that one, but you'd know them: they're smaller ones between the L and R buttons and directly next to them.

If not then yeah, you're stuck with tapping the screen, unfortunately. If you do, then great! Don't forget you can assign arts to any slot even if you only have one or two, so you can trigger them with a button instead of a screen press.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Is there any monster that's more annoying to get red extract from than shogun ceanataur? As far as I can tell the only place that works is its claws. I straight up couldn't do it without using the pheromone shot, which is a first.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Does anyone know where I can find the numbers on how elemental damage is calculated? Are motion values from the swing still involved or is there a multiplier or static value (like bowgun shots) used instead? Trying to figure out how to compare raw vs element on things like SnS.

Camel Camus
Jun 16, 2009

Mais, non, je suis fantastique!

Anyone been able to pin down a good late game HBG? From a cursory glance it looked like the jho gun with a normal shot set might be neat, but I'd thought that something with crouch fire piercing might take priority. Any suggestions?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Motherfucker finally got with a group that managed to take down plesioth and afterwards I find out it's the level 4 urgent and I'm nowhere near getting that gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress fuckkkkkkkkkkk

Kaldaris
Aug 10, 2008

Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!
Awesome possum!

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

Well, yesterday I made a great sword out of crab claws and killed a Sand/Shark/Wyvern horror show with it. I have no idea what I'm shooting for early game or what I need my cat dudes to do or even have a replacement armor for my starter stuff but I'm having fun with it.

Aerial greatsword sounds fun. Are there any other ways to activate the hunter skills or so a I have to hit the button on my touchpad each time?

R+A+B = Hunter Art 1
L2 = Hunter Art 2 (3DSXL)
R2 = Hunter Art 3 (3DSXL)

Edit: Woops, didn't notice it'd already been answered!

BipolarAurora
Jan 1, 2013

Bussamove posted:

Plesioth is a giant rear end in a top hat fish and always has been. His armor is alright but nothing too special.
The real shine with Plesioth are the weapons you can make from him. They've always have good raw and sharpness.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Ciaphas posted:

Does anyone know where I can find the numbers on how elemental damage is calculated? Are motion values from the swing still involved or is there a multiplier or static value (like bowgun shots) used instead? Trying to figure out how to compare raw vs element on things like SnS.

No motion values with elemental. In MHG just multiply the elemental number by the hitzone for that elemental. In MH4U you need to divide the elemental number by 10.

This is why everyone lobbies to use elemental on fast weapons, since you are limited purely by hit frequency.

The quick and dirty calculation is like 10 ele is 25 raw for DBs, 20 raw for SnS/IG, 15 for most other things and then 10 for the slow GS/Hammer. This assumes an average hit zone ofc, which is like 1/2 the raw hit zone. It's not exact but good enough for just comparing elemental weapons with each other.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.
I've nearly finished my HBG set that will give me load up, dead eye and normal up, but I need a Dead Eye +4 3 slot talisman due to decoration interactions - is such a thing possible or is Dead Eye budgeted too highly?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Finally caved and bought this

Arial LS is so much my poo poo, where have you been all my life?

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Camel Camus posted:

Anyone been able to pin down a good late game HBG? From a cursory glance it looked like the jho gun with a normal shot set might be neat, but I'd thought that something with crouch fire piercing might take priority. Any suggestions?

The Astalos and Mizutsune guns are great against enemies weak to their damage types. The Shagaru Magala gun is a good all rounder. The "true" Nakarkos gun has great ammo selection and 3 slots although the damage is a bit low.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

The Moon Monster posted:

Is there any monster that's more annoying to get red extract from than shogun ceanataur? As far as I can tell the only place that works is its claws. I straight up couldn't do it without using the pheromone shot, which is a first.

Nah, Ceanataur is the loving worst. I hate fighting that rear end in a top hat more than anyone else, and everything requires an absurd number of claws to craft.

IG is pain against him :negative:

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.

Camel Camus posted:

I'm using Alatreon at the moment because it can equip every elemental shot, and has every level 2 elemental shot internally. Pretty versatile if a little bit of a pain to make. Level 3 normal, level 2 pierce, also pellet but who cares. It's kind of a nice go-to for elementally weak monsters, not so much for anything else. You can't siege raw damage ammo.

Also some redditor made a charm chart

It looks legit, at least it fits what I've been seeing from my charm runs.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Dreamy Souffle posted:

It's worth noting that while Sonic Bombs will very briefly stun Nargacuga, they also enrage it immediately after. So, they're good if you want that tail cut, but not so much if you're still getting the hang of the fight. I'd recommend, well, being patient and getting a feel for how it moves. Hang back if you gotta. :shobon: But also if it's not a capture quest it may not hurt to bring shock traps for safe damage, if you aren't already.

you dont need to cut in rage mode for Narga anymore, its been a while for that actually
but if you've already put a pitfall down the on demand rage is useful

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
After like 5 hours of charm farming I finally got the final piece for my bow set! I have actually not used the bow since Tri so I am sure I'll be rusty. I got the Teostra bow and from what I can tell I always want to be using the power coating, but if that runs out should I switch to Elemental Lvl 2 coating or just use normal shot? Or does that depend on the monsters weakness to blast and if so what weakness amount am I looking for? I have normal up if that makes any difference.

Hopefully those questions make sense... super new to bows.

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

The Moon Monster posted:

I kinda wish they had made Frenzy Res a decoration only skill or rolled it into biology. Seeing it on armor feels like a complete waste (Thunderlord Armor!). I guess the only time it's useful is if you're using the frenzy art or on the 7 or 8 missions against the magalas.

Frenzy Rez is actually a pretty cool skill because it is budgeted extremely cheaply but if you are fighting a Magala or take the Frenzy Pill art it is 30% affinity which is a hefty chunk (equivalent to Crit Eye +3). It's a 10 point skill that conditionally gives you a 20 point skill (like Peak Performance, Crisis, etc) but it is a bit unique in that it has a 3-slot 5-point gem (usually those skills have 2-slot 3-pointers which are slightly less efficient). Losing a Hunter Art is a pretty big opportunity cost but 30% affinity is almost always a DPS gain over a regular Art, it's a big boost.

As an aside I normally completely ignore Latent Power since it has annoying conditionals but the Thunderlord armor stacks things so much that it's kinda neat. Marathon Runner + Constitution+2 is already busted (and extremely hard to achieve normally due to jewel conflicts) and when Frenzy Res + Latent Power trigger you get 80% affinity and effectively infinite stamina. Since healing horns actually work in this game due to double notes (not to mention healing cats) you can actually get Latent Power to trigger by just playing risky (which the extreme stamina efficiency encourages) and not spend 50% of the fight chugging potions. It's pretty janky (and of course just using Dreadking or something would be simpler and probably more effective) but it's a lot of fun.

Skippy Granola posted:

I've nearly finished my HBG set that will give me load up, dead eye and normal up, but I need a Dead Eye +4 3 slot talisman due to decoration interactions - is such a thing possible or is Dead Eye budgeted too highly?

Dead Eye goes up to +5 on Timeworn charms so it's definitely doable. Here is the table with the skill point limits on charms if people are interested: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1N7lqzdSzNl1o_W8JiYyQz_cXDXJEE_Ur4myI4Uf0F7E/htmlview?sle=true#gid=649773752

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

AttackBacon posted:

Frenzy Rez is actually a pretty cool skill because it is budgeted extremely cheaply but if you are fighting a Magala or take the Frenzy Pill art it is 30% affinity which is a hefty chunk (equivalent to Crit Eye +3). It's a 10 point skill that conditionally gives you a 20 point skill (like Peak Performance, Crisis, etc) but it is a bit unique in that it has a 3-slot 5-point gem (usually those skills have 2-slot 3-pointers which are slightly less efficient). Losing a Hunter Art is a pretty big opportunity cost but 30% affinity is almost always a DPS gain over a regular Art, it's a big boost.

Well, in my experience frenzy from the art has less than 50% uptime, so you also have to take that into consideration when comparing it to expert. Does frenzy res actually increase the affinity bonus or duration?

Reverence
Nov 1, 2009

gently caress Rathalos plates, that is all.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord

Squidtentacle posted:

Don't forget you can assign arts to any slot even if you only have one or two, so you can trigger them with a button instead of a screen press.

Holy poo poo, time to change my panel layouts.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

Reverence posted:

gently caress Rathalos plates, that is all.

My sweet summer child.

On the other hand I have had absolute poo poo luck with things like trunkspines and ian spikes even with breaks this game so it evens out :v:

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Ignimbrite posted:

My sweet summer child.

On the other hand I have had absolute poo poo luck with things like trunkspines and ian spikes even with breaks this game so it evens out :v:

Cuts off a tail, gets a scale! Cuts off 3 more tails, gets 3 more scales! Doesn't get a tail till just capturing the monster rather than carving the tail itself.

Also was disappointed to learn that there were still horns that required tails so had to build up a secondary cutting weapon since stabbing the tail with a horn is not likely to happen.

Allarion fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Aug 7, 2016

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
wyvern scalp is the worst loving item to get in this game what the gently caress

Mr. Leonheart
Oct 14, 2007

All I know is that to me
You look like you're havin' fun

Kashuno posted:

wyvern scalp is the worst loving item to get in this game what the gently caress

Hell yeah 50% chance from a break reward on a monster I despise fighting :negative:

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Kashuno posted:

I've gotten some wyvern scalps from Meownster Hunters. Breaking the ceanataur's shell is super gratifying though. Keys to dealing with crabs if you're using a hunting horn: be Aerial, apply buffs, go jump at the crab and go ham on the shell. And I guess watch out for bleeding, since that killed me the first time since I'd never fought a Seregios before and did not know what bleeding was. If you're lucky, you can even break the new shell too after it runs away to get a new shell! Dunno if the third shell is breakable though.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Reverence posted:

gently caress Rathalos

Yes I agree!

Generations really should've had a quest like "Sayonara Rath" where you hunt a Rathian and Rathalos, and when you do it once, the quest disappears and neither of them ever show up in a monhun game again.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Whoever said deviant rank 1s are like low rank is a drat dirty liar. Maybe low rank compared to later ranks of the deviant but still.

Took me 25 minutes, 20 megas, 2 max and an ancient potion to beat Hellblade rank 1 with a maxed out water SnS :stare:

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Ciaphas posted:

Whoever said deviant rank 1s are like low rank is a drat dirty liar. Maybe low rank compared to later ranks of the deviant but still.

Took me 25 minutes, 20 megas, 2 max and an ancient potion to beat Hellblade rank 1 with a maxed out water SnS :stare:

I thought they said only Deviant arzuros, hermitaur, lagombi, and rathian level 1 are considered low rank. The rest start at high rank.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
I dunno, I'd probably put Dreadqueen ian at high level low rank or low level high rank starting off. Snowbaron's easily doable at Low Rank. Redhelm I would put at mid-HR because holy hell he does a lot of damage and is fast as poo poo; also he's huge

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Leonheart
Oct 14, 2007

All I know is that to me
You look like you're havin' fun
Yeah I made the mistake of trying Redhelm first in poo poo low rank gear. Don't be like me, kids!

• Locked thread