Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

voltcatfish posted:

it's not a skirt huh

suddenly i am reminded of karol crossdressing

At least Laphicet is cute enough to pull it off. Karol doing it was just hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
They call it "story" but it's really about the skit-style content (including short skits and discoveries). Which is fine. Especially since it's in the bit where Eleanor is presumably new to the party and everyone is uneasy about it, which sets up several good dynamics that are visible in the ten minutes of game they selected. As far as I'm concerned, story mode was solid.

It's a good morning to watch ZX5, also.

Caphi fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Aug 7, 2016

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
ZX liveblogging:
  • I can see why the animators say it's hell to do Velvet's arm.
  • The arm seems to do a lot of weird poo poo.
  • "Malak" is capitalized. Is that a Zestiria thing or a subs thing?
  • Oh god the Exorcists have spirit cannons, that's delightful.
  • "Gouran" is "Tempest Blade," I hope that's official.
  • "Rogress," I hope that's not official.
  • Oh jeez I hope Seres is a temporary PC.
  • Seres keeps saying "Demon-eater" but it's been translated in gameplay as "therionization", I wonder where they're going with that. Both the actual meaning of the thing and if the "therionization" translation is nailed down because "Demon-eater" is weird but "therionization" has always been totally off the leash.
  • "That child"? Come on.
  • They made a super serious character say "CROSS," wow.
  • What the gently caress is White Light doing here.
  • I have now been sold on Velvet and Rokurou as protagonists, which is good because I most needed selling on Rokurou. That position is now Eizen. Hype for next week.
  • I think I'll play Rokurou and Eizen some more later.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The animators somehow made Velvet normal in fanservice, relatively. A lot of talking, which made the pacing feel less than usual.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Velvet's outfit just doesn't register on my fanservice radar. I'd be more surprised if there was.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yeah velvet's outfit is, like, dumb, but i dont think it's really about fanservice as weird as it is to say?

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

It's cool.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

it's dumb in a cool way

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

It's helped by the fact that Velvet is wearing it, and she is also cool

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

satou rina loves velvet's outfit, and if we can't trust mikoto misaka, who can we trust?

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
My theory is that it looks too actually damaged and not sexy-damaged. General people probably don't find rags attractive, usually. So it appeals to, you know, chuunis, instead.

As for Seres, I assume her outfit is based on Artorius' orders.

Caphi fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Aug 7, 2016

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013

Caphi posted:

[*]I have now been sold on Velvet and Rokurou as protagonists, which is good because I most needed selling on Rokurou. That position is now Eizen. Hype for next week.
[*]I think I'll play Rokurou and Eizen some more later.
[/list]

Wait wait, Velvet is now not the only protagonist, but they also have a man protag? Dammit, is this going to be another thing where Velvet gets shafted midway?

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

He's referring to the whole party as protagonists; Velvet is Bersy's sole lead.

Motto fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Aug 7, 2016

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Motto posted:

He's referring to the whole party as protagonists; Velvet is Bersy's sole lead.

Yeah, the most we'll get of a male lead is probably Laphicet, and only as a sort of "supporting protagonist".

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Junpei posted:

Yeah, the most we'll get of a male lead is probably Laphicet, and only as a sort of "supporting protagonist".

I feel like Laphicet will be the Estelle of Berseria.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Arkeus posted:

Wait wait, Velvet is now not the only protagonist, but they also have a man protag? Dammit, is this going to be another thing where Velvet gets shafted midway?
No, not at all. They've literally said Velvet is the main protagonist. The sole female protagonist. They used that exact wording. Milla was always marketed as sharing the spotlight with Jude. Alisha was always marketed as secondary to Sorey. Velvet is the sole protagonist.

Caphi was using 'male protagonist' in the same way you'd use 'female protagonist' for, say, Mint.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Should have said PC or party member. My bad.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
One last Sunday.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LW7pnujnVt8

I hate "Therion."

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

why is velvet smiling

she's a moody antihero

moody antiheroes don't smile

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Laphicet said something adorable, clearly.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Junpei posted:

why is velvet smiling

she's a moody antihero

she isnt really a moody antihero, she's very angry about one specific thing but she doesn't really have a moody outlook on life

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Junpei posted:

why is velvet smiling

she's a moody antihero

You know what they say about assumptions.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I'm smiling too

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
That reminds me, there's a rumor going around that the last The X episode was supposed to have Burn instead of White Light, based on a tweet by FLOW suggesting that Burn was finally going to be in a real thing last week. It'd make a lot more sense.

p.s. I'm going to start doing the Berseria spoiler policy from next week's episode since apparently some extremely real game events are actually happening. Please also do that.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Looking forward to hearing about how Velvet dies 20 minutes into the game and is replaced by a time travelling Sorey who spends the rest of the game talking about how lame Velvet must have been to die so easy.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
This thing got leaked a while ago and it's not that bad, but there have been some other theories going around that don't work as a result. I'm excited to no longer have to keep mum about it, even if only in spoiler bars, especially since I have another very serious crack theory based on it. (It's about Laphicet. It's not the Maoterasu thing.)

Unrelated: one thing I just realized wasn't in the demo was any form of cooking. It was in the beach footage from a while ago, too, from what seemed to be the full build. I know the demo was easy so it's not like you need to eat that badly, but I would have liked to have seen the mechanics in motion.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Some questions about the demo:

1. How are the elements handled? Zesty's four, Abyss's six or Symphonia's eight?
2. Elaborating on the above, what element spells do Laphicet, Magileux, Eleanor and Eizen have?
3. What are the blue diamonds in the middle of the enemy's health?
4. How viable are melee Laphicet and Magileux?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Laphicet is basically Lailah, but his attacks are bit less aoe. He's workable as a melee character but it's awkward.

Magi's basic combo is very sluggish and has weird angles. I didn't experiment with her much.

Elements:

Laphicet: All elements equally, but a slight leaning towards Void
Magi: All elements, with an emphasis on Water
Eizen: Earth and Wind. Mostly Earth. He's Edna's brother, after all.
Eleanor: A bit of everything, slight Wind leaning?

My JP isn't the best and I didn't experiment too heavily, but it seems like Zesty's elements, but with Void as an actual element that spells can be.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Junpei posted:

Some questions about the demo:

1. How are the elements handled? Zesty's four, Abyss's six or Symphonia's eight?
2. Elaborating on the above, what element spells do Laphicet, Magileux, Eleanor and Eizen have?
3. What are the blue diamonds in the middle of the enemy's health?
4. How viable are melee Laphicet and Magileux?

1. Same as Zestiria. (which had five btw)
2. Various. Magilou is water/fire, Eizen is earth/wind, Eleanor is kind of wind/fire. Laphicet is various/Void.
3. The Souls they have that are eligible for stealing, probably.
4. idk, you can do it and their melee are all Arcane/Hidden Artes so they're not totally hosed by their stats, but they're pretty slow. Probably comparable to Lailah/Edna but I don't remember exactly. Also, like Eleanor and Eizen, they have fewer melee artes to begin with, as opposed to Velvet and Rokurou who can mix up their Base and Arcane artes together, and they don't really have Eleanor's Pascal spells.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Thanks guys.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I was actually thinking a while ago that it'd be strictly Magilou fire/water, Eizen earth, Eleanor wind, and Laphicet mix/void, so it's pretty cool that they're mixed up a bit. It means you don't have to get real stressed about having to have certain characters to hit certain weaknesses, like a D/I/H type of game, or Xillia where it was basically Milla=fire/wind and Rowen=water/earth. Or, well, Zestiria. (Just kidding, Fire Armatus can hit every element by itself.)

This might actually be one of the many things they specifically wanted to address from Zestiria, come to think of it.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The side mages being more specific elements is cool characterization but I like having one mage who can hit everything. Like how Zelos and Kratos only got the basic offensive elements while Genis could use stuff like ice and water in addition to everything else.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Endorph posted:

she isnt really a moody antihero, she's very angry about one specific thing but she doesn't really have a moody outlook on life
I think I'll change her out of moody antihero clothes as soon as I can then.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Endorph posted:

The side mages being more specific elements is cool characterization but I like having one mage who can hit everything. Like how Zelos and Kratos only got the basic offensive elements while Genis could use stuff like ice and water in addition to everything else.

I'm not sure Berseria has a general caster, actually. Now that I think about it, in the demo I think Laphicet and Eleanor have three types total across all their spells (and only because of dual-type spells), and Magilou and Eizen have two (Magilou even has a fire/water line of arcane artes). They might branch out more in the game, though.

I believe the character in charge of elemental offense in Berseria is, actually, Rokurou. It's in his description and I think it's the whole idea of the Form artes, that each one is a different element or compound. And he kind of seems like a glass cannon anyway, just not in the black mage vein.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Doesn't Rokurou have the highest p. defense and hp?

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I don't remember, I guess he does have the most HP. I was just thinking of his whole fast two-daggers shtick and the whole "can't touch me!" voice clip spam.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

just booted up the demo to check

Velvet:

HP: 2nd place
P. ATK: 3rd place
A. ATK: 4th place
P. DEF: 2nd place
A. DEF: 5th place
ACC: 4th place

Rokurou:

HP: 1st place
P. ATK: 4th place
A. ATK: 5th place
P. DEF: 1st place
A. DEF: 6th Place
ACC: 1st place

Eizen

HP: 3rd place
P. ATK: 2nd place
A. ATK: 3rd place
P. DEF: 6th place
A. DEF: 4th place
ACC: 2nd place

Magilou

HP: 5th place
P. ATK: 5th place
A. ATK: 2nd place
P. DEF: 4th place
A. DEF: 1st place
ACC: 6th place

Laphicet:

HP: 6th place
P. ATK: 6th place
A. ATK: 1st place
P. DEF: 5th place
A. DEF: 2nd place
ACC: 3rd place

Eleanor

HP: 4th place
P. ATK: 1st place
A. ATK: 6th place
P. DEF: 3rd place
A. DEF: 3rd place
ACC: 5th place

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
It'll probably fluctuate based on equipment but yeah. The accuracy (plus the elemental thing) still makes me think he's meant to be the weakness-chaining fiend of the bunch. I think someone worked out what all the stats were pre-equipment but I don't have that chart handy right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Also, Eizen apparently has Raise Dead/Ressurection despite not being the main healer (Laphicet).