Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Anything for Samurai Warriors Orochi 3?

Weapon attributes worth caring about :

Absorption! It drains health and is great for staying in the game, especially on Chaos when a mook hitting you twice cuts 3/4 of the gauge.

Agility! It increases attack speed, and some characters need that to really shine.

Bolt, Wind, and Slay! They deal percentile damage which is extremely useful for cutting into bosses. Wind especially as it negates blocks and bosses can block like motherfuckers.

Osmosis! It drains musou gauge like Absorption, and at level 10 drains way too drat much. This is how Kaguya can get away with spamming nothing but her RB attack an entire map. Musous are useful escape buttons, too. It's just great to have.

Reach! It increases attack range. This is good as it gets more dudes.

Blast boosts projectile/shockwave damage, which is good for certain characters. Destruction boosts musou damage and some characters have extremely powerful musous. Flame and Ice are okay fillers. Prosperity/Providence are good for a dedicated drop hunter.

The rest are trash.

For the gold attributes that only show up on Chaos, Brilliance is excessively good in the "will make the game boringly easy" way. Verity works for the same musou spammers that want Destruction. Multi, Typhoon, and Echo are... okay. Confluence is really meh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Poison Mushroom posted:

Anything before I play Shandalar? I've played a lot of MtG over the years, but got into it years after this game came out. I'll be playing the 2015 fan-update, if that matters at all.

Only that you shouldn't commit too hard to a single deck. Some of the dungeons have passive effects on them, for example the white castle has a permanent Karma card in play (both players take damage per round equal to the number of swamps they have in play), so if you have only built a black deck, you'll be hosed. Make sure you pick up the cards needed to make at least two decks.

Mr. Dragoon
May 7, 2008
Anything on Tropico 4 aside form whats on the wiki? And aside from Modern times, are any of the other DLC's worth getting?

Mortuus
Nov 8, 2012

Jesus loves you, useless corpse
Anything for Monster Hunter Generations? Never played a Monster Hunter game before, and I've read the entries on the wiki for the other games, but what do I need to know in particular for Generations?

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.
Watch Gaijin Hunter's videos on Youtube for any weapons you like, and Kiranico for armor sets and item locations etc. it's not a game that should be played without external resources

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Yeah especially considering Generations doesn't do a particularly great job at tutorializing itself like 4 Ultimate did. There are training quests to help you get used to the various weapons and styles but that's about it. I highly recommend taking a look at Gajin Hunter and definitely use Kiranico, you'll go crazy trying to find stuff otherwise.

Speaking of which i would reccomended you try those training quest and find out which weapons you like the most and stick with them. Have at least 2 different weapons you like to use since some monsters are gonna be harder with some weapons and easier with others.

Also ask in the Monster Hunter Megathread if you have more questions, people are cool over there and will gladly help you with quests and answer any questions you have.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3783088

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Anything for Gat out of Hell? Its been awhile since I played SR3 and SR4, but I'm mostly familiar with those two.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Ravenfood posted:

Anything for Gat out of Hell? Its been awhile since I played SR3 and SR4, but I'm mostly familiar with those two.

It's been a while since I've played, but off the top of my head, no. Just have fun loving up New Hades.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Leifthrasir isn't giving me much payoff for the grind so I'm moving on to Trails of Cold Steel. Anyone got anything?

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Any tips on shiren the wanderer (5? The one that just came out)

I played all the English ones but usually stall out at the end

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Poison Mushroom posted:

Anything before I play Shandalar? I've played a lot of MtG over the years, but got into it years after this game came out. I'll be playing the 2015 fan-update, if that matters at all.

Are you talking about the Microprose game that came out a million billion years ago? If so, I really wouldn't recommend playing it nowadays. It's buggy, the AI is dumber than a sack of mentally challenged hammers, and it uses the icky pre-6E ruleset which has interrupts and awful timing rules.

If you need a daily dose of MtG but don't want to use Aspergers Online, pick up Duels 2016, or Cockatrice. Both are free.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Gynovore posted:

Are you talking about the Microprose game that came out a million billion years ago? If so, I really wouldn't recommend playing it nowadays. It's buggy, the AI is dumber than a sack of mentally challenged hammers, and it uses the icky pre-6E ruleset which has interrupts and awful timing rules.

If you need a daily dose of MtG but don't want to use Aspergers Online, pick up Duels 2016, or Cockatrice. Both are free.
I am! The 2015 fan-update actually changes stuff to the then-current rules. I've been having fun with it so far.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Poison Mushroom posted:

I am! The 2015 fan-update actually changes stuff to the then-current rules. I've been having fun with it so far.

Hmmm ok.

All I can remember is, at the end, you face a boss with 400 or so life. You're not supposed to be able to beat him, but in fact it is possible. Go heavy control and use a Whirling Dervish as a finisher.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Gynovore posted:

Hmmm ok.

All I can remember is, at the end, you face a boss with 400 or so life. You're not supposed to be able to beat him, but in fact it is possible. Go heavy control and use a Whirling Dervish as a finisher.

If we have 2015 card selection there are finishers far better than Whirling Dervish available.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

It's been a while since I've played, but off the top of my head, no. Just have fun loving up New Hades.
Gotcha, thanks. Pretty much did that happily. So far, seems a lot harder than SR3 or 4, but I may just suck at games now that I'm old and decrepit.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
gently caress it, let's do this. Also including the one previous tip, so this can just replace that.

Shandalar
- These tips assume you know how to play MtG. If you have experience with limited formats (Sealed, Draft, Cubes), you'll probably be better at this game than if you didn't.
- Save often, the game doesn't autosave. Try to resist the urge to savescum every time you lose a good card, though. Rolling with the punches is part of the fun.
- If you have any choice in the matter at all, play the fan-patch. It updates the game from some of the janky older rules to a more modern set, and drastically expands the card pool. The official site has been down for a while and probably isn't coming back up, but it's not especially difficult to find still floating around.
- Green isn't a terrible first choice for a deck. Good creatures for their cost (both in gold and mana), and Protection from Green is exceptionally rare.
- Black isn't bad, either, creatures with Regeneration are really useful, and black has the most/cheapest by a longshot.
- Different villages sell different colors of cards, so make that a factor in deciding where to do quests/fight enemies.
- Avoid black if you main white in the early game, one of the enemies for the faction loves creatures with Protection from White.
- All else being equal, blue is probably the hardest faction to fight.
- Don't overvalue any single card, and don't try to 'catch 'em all'. If you've got a rare, valuable card that you can't use right now, probably best to just sell it than to hold onto it hoping that maybe you'll find a deck for it later.
- Keep a couple hundred in gold on you at all times, if you can. Both in case of a shop having a rare card that you want, and so that you have some money to pay off an enemy if the ante is something you really like in exchange for hot garbage.
- Stock up on basic land. It's cheap, and you'll need a lot of it. You can ease off once you have 10-12 of a type, but don't be afraid to keep picking it up when there's a good deal after that, just in case you decide you want or need to go monocolor.
- Also stock up on cheap, decently effective cards in your colors. They make good deck filler so there's less chance that your rare, expensive stuff is the only thing getting ante'd.
- When evaluating whether to get cards or a clue after you win, keep in mind that you can also sell rare cards that you don't want.
- Your goal early-game is to get some quests done, collect mana links and amulets, and try to turn your randomly-generated garbage pile into a decently solid, two-color deck.
- Once you've got enough clues that you're thinking of running a dungeon, you'll want to start focusing on building a secondary deck, in different colors than your primary. Certain dungeons will poo poo all over a specific color or strategy, so it pays to branch out. For example, if your main deck is red/black aggro, you may want your secondary to be white/blue life gain+control.
- If you accidentally cancel out of an opportunity to trade amulets for cards, you won't be able to go back in until the next time it shows up, so make sure you're actually done before you click [Done].

Zushio
May 8, 2008
Dammit now I really want to play this game. I loves me some Magic.

Xythe
Aug 4, 2010

Stop getting mad at video games. No stop insulting his mother what is wrong with you.
I've watched a few highlight reels of this game, and I know this is a really odd question, and the answer could very well be "browse the wiki", but is there anything I should know before playing Overwatch?

I already hate snipers in games so no need to tell me not to play those, but things I've watched in the videos have sometimes had some really weird interactions between character abilities and I'm at a loss on what I should know

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

There's nothing in particular that you need to know for Overwatch. It's simple enough that all the stuff that looks complicated is easily learned after a few games (which there are bots if you'd rather get more comfortable with those before jumping into an actual game).Other than that find a few heros you like to play as and get good with them.The game is all about switching to match the situation/the enemy's team composition so if playing as one hero isn't working out for you then switching to a different one that can handle it better. Running into the entire enemy team and dying over and over accomplishes nothing other than getting frustrated and giving the enemy Ultimate charge.

Also for better or for worse it's a team game, outside of very,very few situations you are not likely to solo carry a game by yourself. Even as powerful as some characters abilities/ultimates are it just won't happen 99% of the time so if you have bad teammates and you're losing alot just let it all roll off your back and try again.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

Xythe posted:

I've watched a few highlight reels of this game, and I know this is a really odd question, and the answer could very well be "browse the wiki", but is there anything I should know before playing Overwatch?

I already hate snipers in games so no need to tell me not to play those, but things I've watched in the videos have sometimes had some really weird interactions between character abilities and I'm at a loss on what I should know
Do the tutorial, play a few minutes as each character in the shooting range to get the hang of what they can do, and then start quick playing. Overwatch is very casual, I'd honestly try all the characters even if you don't like their type in other games. The most important thing is knowing every character's skillset, so you know what they can do when you play them and when they're played against you. I don't play any other shooters and I somehow manage to do pretty okay as Widowmaker, though I'm obviously not doing MLG 360 noscope poo poo.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Xythe posted:

When configuring controls you also have a drop-down menu which allows you to set character specific controls that will overwrite the default ones when you play the character. Some of them also have unique control options. Soldier:76 and Zarya can enable allied health-bars, Mercy can toggle or hold a button for her beam, Junkrat can have his RIPtire automatically climb up walls, etc etc. Be sure to take a look at them.

If your teammates have their ultimate available there will be a glowing blue icon under their portrait on the scoreboard. There's also a button to call out the status of your ultimate ("it's at xx% charge"/"it's fully charged"). When you think you have a good combination with another teammate (Ana+Roadhog, Zarya+Hanzo to name a few) try using it and see if they respond with their own status. That usually means they know what's up and will be ready for that combination. No mic needed!

Beyond that a lot of learning the game simply comes by playing it.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Aug 6, 2016

TearsOfPirates
Jun 11, 2016

Stultior stulto fuisti, qui tabellis crederes! - Idiot of idiots, to trust what is written!
Any good tutorials/tips for Fallout: New Vegas?

Finally snatched it on the sale and I feel like giving it a go.

Also removing the "easy jumpstart" DLCs would make the game a lot more enjoyable, right?

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Mr. Dragoon posted:

Anything on Tropico 4 aside form whats on the wiki? And aside from Modern times, are any of the other DLC's worth getting?

When building roads, try to have as few intersections as possible. Traffic jams can get really bad (until you get teleport metro stations).

Other DLCs are pretty much just (minor) cheat buildings and cosmetics.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

TearsOfPirates posted:

Finally snatched it on the sale and I feel like giving it a go.

Also removing the "easy jumpstart" DLCs would make the game a lot more enjoyable, right?

The wiki page for it is a bit messy, but the advice there worked a treat for me.

The worst part of the Courier's Stash is that it gums up your inventory with stuff, thanks to it being 4 pre-order packs worth of items. They're not necessary, but I also don't think their presence really ruins anything. They seemed pretty sensibly balanced and at the very least not obnoxiously overpowered glorified cheats like some games' pre-order stuff. Primarily they'll make the early game combat a bit easier and frankly if you pick up the companions from Novac and Primm the combat will turn into a bit of a joke regardless. New Vegas's strength isn't really in the combat anyway, so all said and done it's entirely up to you.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Aug 6, 2016

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

TearsOfPirates posted:

Like all Bethesda games, normal difficulty is way easy, hard difficulty is about right. (OK technically this isn't a Bethesda game, it still applies).

Endurance and Intelligence are vital, Perception and charisma are poo poo. Good Natured, Pack Rat, and Logan's Loophole are good perks.

When you leave Goodsprings, go south. If you go any other way you will be killed by deathclaws.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Gynovore posted:

Endurance and Intelligence are vital, Perception and charisma are poo poo. Good Natured, Pack Rat, and Logan's Loophole are good perks.

An exception to this is that Perception 6 is necessary for Better Criticals, which affects both random crits AND sneak attack crits, so if you're planning to do a stealth build, you'll want to get at least 5 perception and buy the implant once you get to the followers' clinic.

Also, Logan's loophole is very powerful once you have a good idea what you're doing, but if it's your first time leave it off, since it's purpose is to limit your max level to the pre-DLC cap, in exchange for some other benefits.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy
Just started Grim Dawn since it's on sale. The wiki page is a bit anemic if anyone has any other tips.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Keeshhound posted:

Also, Logan's loophole is very powerful once you have a good idea what you're doing, but if it's your first time leave it off, since it's purpose is to limit your max level to the pre-DLC cap, in exchange for some other benefits.

Alternatively, take it so that the enemies that scale to your level don't go too far. Those guys can get crazy.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
Rebel Galaxy on ps4, going in pretty blind. Heard its kind of similar to black flag boat but in space.

Anything in particular I should know about?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Captain Beans posted:

Rebel Galaxy on ps4, going in pretty blind. Heard its kind of similar to black flag boat but in space.

Merchant Guild blockade-running missions are ridiculously good cash, so try to beeline for those asap (and the Merchant Guild in general). At the beginning, your broadsides will be pretty weak and your turrets will do a ton of your heavy lifting as far as damage goes and you'll be zipping around. Mining lasers are pretty good for this purpose. As you upgrade your ship a bit, this'll change and you'll want to shift turrets back towards anti-fighter longer-range duties. I prioritized engines, then broadsides, then defense and turrets as far as my upgrades went, but generally kept them all within the same tier as much as possible since iirc the enemy levels are based on your highest single upgrade tier.

And yeah, its very similar to Black Flag.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Captain Beans posted:

Against enemy fighters, dedicated flak-type turrets and weapons are actually kind of mediocre due to their very short range and middling damage. However, beam-type weapons like the various laser turrets are extremely powerful against them, since they always hit even the smallest and quickest fighters with 100% accuracy. Even the broadside neutron beams can snipe them this way, allowing you to take out stuff like the otherwise pretty annoying gunships in a single salvo.

Also, you can always sell back all of your ship equipment for the full price you bought it at. So feel free to experiment and switch out your stuff whenever you feel like it.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Captain Beans posted:

When you go to a zone with a new tier of upgrades, make sure you buy shield and armor upgrades before weapon upgrades. The bonus HP they give is huge, and will make it much easier for you to stay alive than extra damage will.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Anything for This is the Police?

I'm curious about the following things right now, but tell me anything helpful:

- For handing out stripes, is it better to hand them out evenly to try and get everybody a little veterancy/extra professionalism, or to focus on your best cops and make them high rank?
- Is there a rule of thumb for assigning the right number of officers? I'm just sort matching one good cop with one bad one for calls right now and hoping they'll ask for help if they need it, let's hope that doesn't blow up in my face

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Anything for Firewatch?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

RatHat posted:

Anything for Firewatch?

It's just a story-based walking simulator so you don't really need any advice besides "avoid looking up spoilers at all costs". Just don't rush through conversations.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy

Ravenfood posted:

Merchant Guild blockade-running missions are ridiculously good cash, so try to beeline for those asap (and the Merchant Guild in general).

This. But be careful to read the mission itself as there's another type of mission that is structured where you will be ambushed and pulled out of warp well out of boost range to a nearby station. While you can just boost through and use your active shields until you can warp, you can be paired with some serious nasty baddies that will make this a complete pain to pull off.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
So there is an entire subforum for Diablo III things, but I'd rather stay on the kiddy pool for basic questions. Is the Ultimate Evil Edition the same as Diablo III+Reaper of Souls? I have the former and I'm on a ARPG mood.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Ultimate Evil Edition is indeed Reaper of Souls so you're good to go on that end.

I don't know how familar you are with base D3 but it's a completely different game now, leveling is fast and easy and the grind is actually fun if you're into the "treadmill for bigger numbers" style game. It's made very easy now because of Kanai's cube and being able to take the effects of legendary weapons and sticking them onto other ones, among other nice, quality of life improvements.

All class are all good, checking the subforum for the particular class you're playing will give you an idea of what you should be aiming for build wise if you really care about min-maxing but otherwise you can just go nuts and have fun killling poo poo.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Anything for Napoleon: Total War:? I haven't really spent much time with TW games other than the original Rome, so the whole "gunpowder" thing is strange and confusing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rj54x
Sep 16, 2007

Mayor McCheese posted:

Just started Grim Dawn since it's on sale. The wiki page is a bit anemic if anyone has any other tips.

This, also. I started up a Witchblade because it looked cool, but don't know if there's any other general advice that's not "follow a build guide".