Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

It's not really "ha ha" funny, it's more like an "oh poo poo a guy who is like the worst possible version of us from middle school actually grew up to be an even worse version of that... and then he actually went and killed people holy poo poo if I don't chuckle about this it becomes terrifying and sad in truly horrific ways."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I don't find it ha-ha funny, more like "there are guys out there who will murder me because they think this way and it's utterly demented and a symptom of pervasive social ills" funny

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

mind the walrus posted:

It's not really "ha ha" funny, it's more like an "oh poo poo a guy who is like the worst possible version of us from middle school actually grew up to be an even worse version of that... and then he actually went and killed people holy poo poo if I don't chuckle about this it becomes terrifying and sad in truly horrific ways."
It's ha ha funny, because of how much like a cartoon bad guy elliott was at times getting worked up over nothing

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

its actually funny because he was an over the top virgin loser

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

If you don't find it funny when he is sitting on his roof wishing really, really hard that he wins the lottery and then gets really, really mad when he doesn't in fact win the lottery then I just don't know what to say.

naem
May 29, 2011

I think Elliot had his heart set on dating a very specific type of tall blonde rich gated community southern California girl. He seemed to think that would solve all his inadequacy issues somehow.

He had it pretty good in life, better than most, but wasn't at the perceived top of his local social crowd so he turned off his ability to appreciate what he had in life and drove himself insane wanting more

If he had somehow won the lottery and a 6 foot blonde supermodel magically appeared to date him it wouldn't have felt as good as he'd imagined and would have been miserable anyway

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Pick posted:

I don't find it ha-ha funny, more like "there are guys out there who will murder me because they think this way and it's utterly demented and a symptom of pervasive social ills" funny

Actually there's guys out there who will murder anyone, regardless of gender

Your obsession with men who will rape and kill you is disturbing and you probably need therapy

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Don Tacorleone posted:

Your obsession with men who will rape and kill you is disturbing and you probably need therapy
are youtelling her she needs therapist :wth:

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

naem posted:

I think Elliot had his heart set on dating a very specific type of tall blonde rich gated community southern California girl. He seemed to think that would solve all his inadequacy issues somehow.

He had it pretty good in life, better than most, but wasn't at the perceived top of his local social crowd so he turned off his ability to appreciate what he had in life and drove himself insane wanting more

If he had somehow won the lottery and a 6 foot blonde supermodel magically appeared to date him it wouldn't have felt as good as he'd imagined and would have been miserable anyway

He would have been on top of the world for a year or so, would lavish her with ludicrously expensive gifts, then when the sex dried up (after the third time or so) she would cheat on him and he would be penniless and posting about gold digging sluts on redpill forums and probably go on his killing spree anyway

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Heath posted:

He would have been on top of the world for a year or so, would lavish her with ludicrously expensive gifts, then when the sex dried up (after the third time or so) she would cheat on him and he would be penniless and posting about gold digging sluts on redpill forums and probably go on his killing spree anyway
Really?? We should stop that guy before he does anything bad.

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Pick posted:

it's a symptom of a neurological disorder

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Cumslut1895 posted:

it's a symptom of a neurological disorder

Much like your posting.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

CaptainSarcastic posted:

If you don't find it funny when he is sitting on his roof wishing really, really hard that he wins the lottery and then gets really, really mad when he doesn't in fact win the lottery then I just don't know what to say.

but it's his destinyyyy

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Reading Elliot Rodger's manifesto is important because its existence means that literally anything on the internet could have been written with complete and total sincerity. And the only two options one has in the face of that horrifying reality is to poo poo themselves, or to laugh at the absurd.

"Lmao this guy was a total loser" doesn't cover it. "This guy was a textbook narcissist whose worldview was heavily influenced by the most vacuous parts of our culture and now people are dead" doesn't cover it. It has to be read to be understood.

SpiderHyphenMan fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Aug 8, 2016

Trojan.exe
Feb 22, 2011

I never said I was a role model
"Nice Guy" Story #1

There was a guy I met on OKCupid about four or five years ago, we chatted a bit back and forth a bit. He was pretty cool, very funny, lived about five minutes away from me and we both had a common eatery that we were both fond of, so it was surprising that we never ran into each other before that.

It was early in the week when we set up a date at that place for Saturday at noon. That Friday night however, I got my period. For me that's a huge plan wrecker since I get horrifically awful cramps for a day and also have a tendency to faint so I can't drive then for obvious reasons. I messaged him that night and told him I was really sick and asked to reschedule at another date. He said that he would plan on going there the next day anyway, if we met up, cool, if not, also cool. Just let him know, etc. Also said "get better soon" which was nice.

The next morning however, I woke up late at around 11:30 and felt even worse than I had the night before. I look at my phone he'd just sent a message saying he was already there. I told him that I was still not feeling well and again asked to reschedule.

What I expected:
"How does Tuesday sound?"

What I got:
A gigantic rant about how I led him on, that I was a bitch, a no-show, a liar. That I broke his heart, that he thought we would grow old together, and that "nice guys finish last." Bear in mind that we never actually met each other before that.

I wish I still had this transcript. Seriously, I would have been more than happy for a reschedule until that happened. Instead I was like gently caress no, and I didn't go to that particular establishment either for at least two years either because I was afraid of running into him. :/

Recently he send me a friend request on facebook which I have left to sit in the void unanswered. I wonder if he even remembers that outburst because I sure as hell do.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Don Tacorleone posted:

Are you a woman? Because as a woman it seems pretty normal to me. Like, if you don't constantly suspect every guy around you of being a potential rapist until proven safe, and then you get raped, people will blame you for being careless and trusting a rapist. Seriously. You shouldn't have been alone with him, what did you think would happen?

The only women I've known who weren't concerned about it were "party girls" who were basically out to have a good time and if a date turned weird and wouldn't take no for an answer their plan was just to go ahead and sex with him. The old "If a dog is running at you, whistle for it" strategy. Obviously that wouldn't work if he turned out to be a murderous psycho, but can work on the run of the mill date rapist who thinks he's owed sex because he paid for stuff.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Facebook Aunt posted:

Are you a woman? Because as a woman it seems pretty normal to me. Like, if you don't constantly suspect every guy around you of being a potential rapist until proven safe, and then you get raped, people will blame you for being careless and trusting a rapist. Seriously. You shouldn't have been alone with him, what did you think would happen?

The only women I've known who weren't concerned about it were "party girls" who were basically out to have a good time and if a date turned weird and wouldn't take no for an answer their plan was just to go ahead and sex with him. The old "If a dog is running at you, whistle for it" strategy. Obviously that wouldn't work if he turned out to be a murderous psycho, but can work on the run of the mill date rapist who thinks he's owed sex because he paid for stuff.

I haven't decided if I'm a woman yet

but yes there's a shitload of situations in life where you will get blamed for lovely things happening to you, including choking on your food (should've chewed slower!!)

I think this constant "I might get RAPED at any moment" is weird but ok, nobody has ever wanted to gently caress me so I figure it could be

Thing is, I go outside every day but I don't have a phobia of a sniper firing at me or a bunch of other stupid poo poo happening, even common stuff like a car crashing into me

to get back on track, my greatest fear is actually women

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009

Facebook Aunt posted:

I'm a woman and I'm wondering if maybe there's some hyperbole being used that is confusing me because when I am in a room with men or I interact with a man I don't immediately think "ook girl, this person is a potential rapist and murderer so be on your toes." Usually it's "wow I already forgot this person's name, why do I do this?!".

And I also think that we are at the point in society where we can acknowledge that there are more than two types of woman: either paranoid constantly vigilant normal woman or PARTY SLUT. Maybe I'm just a party woman.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

or maybe some women have had really lovely past experiences with men, which is a very common phenomenon from what I gather, and it affected how they trust or perceive the intentions of strangers? I dunno it doesn't seem very complicated to me

or did you just ignore all the stories about and texts of men posted itt being aggressive and violent because a girl had the audacity to not be interested in them?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Pot Of Shoe posted:

I'm a woman and I'm wondering if maybe there's some hyperbole being used that is confusing me because when I am in a room with men or I interact with a man I don't immediately think "ook girl, this person is a potential rapist and murderer so be on your toes." Usually it's "wow I already forgot this person's name, why do I do this?!".

It's not just being in the same room with any penis-haver. But, for example, I'd be much more likely to accept a ride in a car alone with a female acquaintance than a male acquaintance.

Pot Of Shoe posted:

And I also think that we are at the point in society where we can acknowledge that there are more than two types of woman: either paranoid constantly vigilant normal woman or PARTY SLUT. Maybe I'm just a party woman.

To be fair, I'm old and I haven't really made any new friends since the early 90s, so maybe everyone is just more relaxed these days. :shrug:

Facebook Aunt fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Aug 8, 2016

Trojan.exe
Feb 22, 2011

I never said I was a role model
"Nice Guy" Story #2

This time, Mr. Nice Guy is a goon.

I met Mr. Nice Goon through some friends I had when I was in college. At first he was pretty cool, and he talked to me a lot after I had a breakup after my first serious and long term relationship. I was too naive at the time to think much of it. The dynamic of that particular friend circle was pretty awesome though, and it was the first circle of friends I'd had since moving and transferring schools, so we saw each other regularly and nothing was weird until later.

There was one particular night where we were all supposed to go to a restaurant, but some cancelled and it turned into just me, Mr. Nice Goon, and another couple. The night was fun, but later, the mom of one of the friends asked "how was your date with [Mr. Nice Goon]?" I said something about how it wasn't a date, but it was fun. Didn't think much of it after that though.

Maybe a month or so later, Mr. Nice Goon was hosting a holiday party at his house. Originally that entire group of friends were supposed to attend. However, when I got there I found out that everyone else had cancelled. Of course this was after already having had a few drinks and felt I shouldn't drive home. I found the rest of the night to be really awkward. I felt really rude doing this, but I texted and chatted to others a lot that night because I didn't want this guy to think I was interested in him. He kept trying to put his arm around me and I asked him to stop repeatedly, but he would grab and hold me and not let go. I was getting really weirded out by that point. I went there feeling as though I'd be okay with spending the night but ended up leaving as soon as I felt okay enough to drive home which was not very close to his home at all, an hour away. What really bothered me was the stuff his mom was texting him, she seemed to know that it would just be the two of us. I know for a fact that others were invited, but I really wonder if he was really orchestrated the whole thing knowing this would happen.

At some point after that, me and Mr. Nice Goon had some conversation via text, and the only reason why that's important is because I wouldn't have known how this word was spelled if he had said it out loud. He said I was "just being tsundere." Tsundere, upon looking it up and according to Google is a Japanese term for a character development process that describes a person who is initially cold and even hostile towards another person before gradually showing a warmer side over time. Umm, okay. So he thought my "no" and disinterest was just me being tsundere. It was also around this time that he revealed that I looked and acted exactly like an anime character that he was really into. Oh and this character was tsundere

When I started dating someone new, this partner was really uncomfortable with Mr. Nice Goon. In turn, when Mr. Nice Goon found out I was dating someone else, he flipped out and said that he couldn't talk to me for a while because I friendzoned him out of the blue. Even though it wasn't out of the blue. Again, he really believed I was just being "tsundere" and that I had led him on, you know, despite telling him many many times not to touch me.

Sadly when I stopped hanging out with him, it meant I was no longer welcome at all in that friend group. :(

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
To put it simply, people that were raised by anime and 80s movies were taught that "no" just means "not yet"

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Sentient Data posted:

To put it simply, people that were raised by anime and 80s movies were taught that "no" just means "not yet"

Well, to be fair, that's how it worked when I wouldn't stop bugging my mom to buy me a Nintendo.

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry
If it hadn't been for Thundercock Joe,
I'd be married long time ago.

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009

Mak0rz posted:

or maybe some women have had really lovely past experiences with men, which is a very common phenomenon from what I gather, and it affected how they trust or perceive the intentions of strangers? I dunno it doesn't seem very complicated to me

or did you just ignore all the stories about and texts of men posted itt being aggressive and violent because a girl had the audacity to not be interested in them?

Are you a woman?

I have had experiences with abuse from men from the time I was 14 up until about 3 years ago. Nothing as serious as a rape thank god, but there have been times when a creeper has scared me or a boyfriend has gotten violent, or I've dealt with aggressive guys online who can't take a hint, or a rejected guy who won't stop contacting me. I don't let that color my whole opinion of an entire gender just as I hope guys with bad experiences with women don't do the same. It's almost like you have to take everyone on a person by person basis.

There is nothing wrong being aware of where you are and who is with you, and I can appreciate the statistics that are out there, and of course women who are abused react differently and need different things to help them recover and they should have that time and those resources. But closing yourself off and making judgments about new individuals based on the misbehaviour of others in the past is a good way to become bitter.

But I'm just a party witch.

Dinosaurmageddon
Jul 7, 2007

by zen death robot
Hell Gem
I think most modern college-educated females have had it drilled into their heads that, pound for pound, a male is more often than not going to be capable of overpowering a woman if it ever came to a physical struggle. Regardless of how good of a person you yourself as a male might be, let it sink in for a moment what it must mean to be a member of the fairer sex, who from a social standpoint* must always think defensively.

*are told they must

Dinosaurmageddon fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Aug 8, 2016

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Dinosaurmageddon posted:

I think most modern college-educated females have had it drilled into their heads that, pound for pound, a male is more often than not going to be capable of overpowering a woman if it ever came to a physical struggle. Regardless of how good of a person you yourself as a male might be, let it sink in for a moment what it must mean to be a member of the fairer sex, who from a social standpoint must always think defensively.

"must always think defensively" thats retarded lol. if every time you come across someone bigger or stronger than you analyzee ur escape routes and plan defensive maneuvers you got some serious problems.

Turdfuzz
Jul 23, 2008

ladies should jus think offensively then jesus chirst
they would know this if they watched sports

Dinosaurmageddon
Jul 7, 2007

by zen death robot
Hell Gem

Profondo Rosso posted:

"must always think defensively" thats retarded lol. if every time you come across someone bigger or stronger than you analyzee ur escape routes and plan defensive maneuvers you got some serious problems.

First imagine the world's gone gay for your butt and then tell me you don't want to pack some smokebombs and flashbangs for when you leave your house at night.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Pot Of Shoe posted:

Are you a woman?

Nah

Pot Of Shoe posted:

I have had experiences with abuse from men from the time I was 14 up until about 3 years ago. Nothing as serious as a rape thank god, but there have been times when a creeper has scared me or a boyfriend has gotten violent, or I've dealt with aggressive guys online who can't take a hint, or a rejected guy who won't stop contacting me. I don't let that color my whole opinion of an entire gender just as I hope guys with bad experiences with women don't do the same. It's almost like you have to take everyone on a person by person basis.

There is nothing wrong being aware of where you are and who is with you, and I can appreciate the statistics that are out there, and of course women who are abused react differently and need different things to help them recover and they should have that time and those resources. But closing yourself off and making judgments about new individuals based on the misbehaviour of others in the past is a good way to become bitter.

Hey it's great that you don't seem to have those kind of hangups! I'm not saying the vigilance and anxiety around men is necessarily right or wrong, I'm just saying it's easy to see why it happens.

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Dinosaurmageddon posted:

First imagine the world's gone gay for your butt and then tell me you don't want to pack some smokebombs and flashbangs for when you leave your house at night.

do u cross the street every time u see a black dude lol

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
cumblast

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

"statistically this group of people commit more crimes against the group i am in, therefor i will always be on the defensive around them" - a cool, healthy, good line of thought

Dinosaurmageddon
Jul 7, 2007

by zen death robot
Hell Gem

Profondo Rosso posted:

do u cross the street every time u see a black dude lol

No because it's night time like I said is that the joke you're looking for where is this going?

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Profondo Rosso posted:

"statistically this group of people commit more crimes against the group i am in, therefor i will always be on the defensive around them" - a cool, healthy, good line of thought

delightfully sarcastic. thank you

Dinosaurmageddon
Jul 7, 2007

by zen death robot
Hell Gem
When assessing potential threats, disregard biotruths?

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Dinosaurmageddon posted:

When assessing potential threats, disregard biotruths?

name ur biotruths as moses did at the burning bush no pun intended

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
So back to the topic of the thread, check out these Nice Guys

Turdfuzz
Jul 23, 2008

Sentient Data posted:

So back to the topic of the thread, check out these Nice Guys

nice try but im not french

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KomodoWagon
May 10, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Profondo Rosso posted:

Lol for real, just carry a gun jfc

• Locked thread