Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I'm all caught up now. I don't know about this whole "Institution theory", but there are a few things I've noticed. I dont think that his Seinfeld friend is real. He might be a real person who Elliot buys drugs from, but I don't think they're friends.

I will be loving amazing if Tyrell is alive, but at the same time, it would almost be too obvious if he's dead. The gun, the shell casing, the car, it's all set up to point to Mr. Robot having killed him.

Angela's season 2 arc is interesting and sad. I don't care at all about Joanna. I like Dom. She seems really cool.

Been a fan of Craig Robinson since The Office, and he's killing it as Ray.

All the character deaths in this show are really sad.

Mr Robot is the worst character on the show and I feel like most of the scenes of him and Elliot arguing are just a wast of time rehashing poo poo we already know. At least in season 2.

edit: Also I think that Angela is missing the obvious: E Corp hired her because they saw that she was willing to be a backstabber, to testify against her own. They just put her in the position they need her to be to clean house without implicating any of themselves as rats. They are just using her as an assassin.

I sympathize with her though. I'm sure there are people who just go with the surface-level reading of "Evil Corp has turned Angela evil" but I think the scene where she's buying shoes has a quite a bit of depth to it. We see first-hand that she is shocked and traumatized by seeing that man blow his brains out right in front of her. I don't the choice to replace her shoes is, on it's own, cold or callous. But the shoe salesman thinks so and really brings the venom. The idea that she isn't reacting to tragedy in the way that he would, or thinks that she should be, causes him to be judgmental and aggressive. This upsets her and she responds with equal venom, which in his eyes, validates his assessment of her as an inhuman monster. I also thing that, while the salesman probably isn't rich, the idea that someone selling extremely high end brand fashion shoes is taking the high road against someone "selling" the image of a giant corporation has a bit of irony. They way he justifies his job to himself is probably no different from hers.

Snak fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Aug 6, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
Why don't you think his friend is real?

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

joebuddah posted:

Add that to we haven't seen the "controlling" mother.
Uh...

Dr. Josef Mengele posted:

He also never goes to the bathroom which would make sense cause he's a robot.
He's human. He's just mastered the Jack Bauer Power Dump.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

joebuddah posted:

Another thing I noticed to add to the institution is Elliot never pays for anything. He doesn't pay at the dinner, or pay his friend that got him the speed.

Also Angela never visited Darlene because she didn't pay for the taxis. :tinfoil:

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

I'd like to hear a doubter of the institution theory explain the door slam before Ellitot meeting Gideon at "home" and the basketball hitting an invisible chain link fence, both from the first episode of this season.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

I just watched the latest episode. My wife walked in just as the shooting started at the end and I freaked out because I was not expecting that to happen, at all.

uncertainty
Aug 8, 2011

Grem posted:

and the basketball hitting an invisible chain link fence, both from the first episode of this season.

At around which time does this happen?

Cheese Bridge Area
Jan 27, 2008

Max posted:

I just watched the latest episode. My wife walked in just as the shooting started at the end and I freaked out because I was not expecting that to happen, at all.
Maybe ask your wife to whistle or something before she walks into a room. :shrug: :yikes:

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Grem posted:

I'd like to hear a doubter of the institution theory explain the door slam before Ellitot meeting Gideon at "home" and the basketball hitting an invisible chain link fence, both from the first episode of this season.

What with the door slam? And I could not find "the basketball hitting an invisible chain link"

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

The door slam sound that doesn't fit a house door slamming is right before Elliot walks into the dining room to meet Gideon.

When the ball goes into the crowd and Elliot's friend (spacing on the name) throws it off screen, it sounds like it hits a chain link fence but there's a different kind of fence in Elliot's version.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Well I guess we can explain both as not so good choices by the sound efffects guys

edit: personally, Im not sold on the institution theory. But the one thing I find hard to explain otherwise is the fact that Elliot supposedly lives with his mother but makes all his meals in this strange big restaurant that really looks like a hospital restaurant

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Aug 7, 2016

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Elias_Maluco posted:

Well I guess we can explain both as not so good choices by the sound efffects guys

edit: personally, Im not sold on the institution theory. But the one thing I find hard to explain otherwise is the fact that Elliot supposedly lives with his mother but makes all his meals in this strange big restaurant that really looks like a hospital restaurant

Well one of the sound effects guys is a goon and has posted in the thread. Also they are pretty loving creative and spot on with the sound effects on this show so I doubt it is an accident.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
The mismatched sound would've been easy to dismiss had the show not demonstrated a history of paying a lot of attention to its sounds, and if there weren't all the other hints. There's just too much stuff - the diner, which is clearly a hospital cafeteria, or how he only meets his old crew at one table (some sort of meeting area), and only uses a phone mounted in the corridor - who the hell has those any more.

It is still possible that this is not the case, but at this point I'd say it's less likely than him simply being an a nuthouse.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit
I feel like Elliot being institutionalized is this season's "Mr. Robot is in Elliot's head" plot point. There are a lot of things pointing to it being the case. For instance, if Elliot finally gave in and got to a terminal, why did he decide to use Ray's? Probably would've been better to use a public terminal since he'd have to leave his home anyway. Furthermore, if he's breaking his routine like that, why only meet his friends only at his home if he's meeting Leon at the diner and the basketball court? I'm waiting for this season's Darlene moment that we're not expecting and will start to unravel it all.

ricro
Dec 22, 2008
There is definitely enough evidence at this point that I think it's clearly deliberate, but it could still turn out to be a red herring of some kind. Either way, the showrunners have won me over enough that I trust them to give me something cool

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
If someone is institutionalized then threatening to goto the feds about their activities doesn't strike me as much of a threat. Also the idea of an orderly doing the kind of ahit Ray has been doing like bringing his beat to poo poo employee into the compound seem bad & dumb.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Shoren posted:

I'm waiting for this season's Darlene moment that we're not expecting and will start to unravel it all.

He moves in to kiss Angela and she recoils and says,"Don't you remember we're half-siblings!?! :gonk:"

He says gently caress it and moves in to kiss Mobley who recoils and says,"Cousin Elliot what are you doing!?!"

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Hi, it's me from ten pages ago. I am finally current. I caught up most of the way pretty quickly, but I kept lagging behind by a week. It is pretty interesting dropping in here and seeing a bunch of things that I didn't think of.

Poppyseed Poundcake
Feb 23, 2007
bunch of people here who've never been in an institution think they know what they talking about

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Eliot meets his Seinfeld loving friend in the same booth at the same diner to eat all the time, I wonder if it's just a subtle reference.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

I think an important thing about the institution idea is that Elliot is fully aware where he's at, he's only keeping up the facade because he doesn't trust his imaginary friend, the viewer.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Elliot = jErry
Darlene = ELAiNE
Angela = GEorge
Ray = kRAmer

I did it, I solved the show.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Grem posted:

I think an important thing about the institution idea is that Elliot is fully aware where he's at, he's only keeping up the facade because he doesn't trust his imaginary friend, the viewer.

My non-institute theory theory is that his friend is the guy he buys drugs from, but he's just telling his therapist that they are friends because it sounds better. Like Ray says when he says that he told his wife they were friends.

I also think that Elliot didnt necisarrily need to agree to help Ray to get terminal access, but wanted to break his self imposed exile from computers with an actual task. He's essentially told himself that its dangerous for him to access computers, the counterpoint to which is that computers are also the tools he uses to help people.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

precision posted:

Elliot = jErry
Darlene = ELAiNE
Angela = GEorge
Ray = kRAmer

I did it, I solved the show.

Mr Robot is Kramer and Ray is Newman.

E: or maybe it's the other way around.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Dr. Josef Mengele posted:

bunch of people here who've never been in an institution think they know what they talking about

No poo poo. Even if you think Ray works there, no one is letting a staff member take someone outside and beat the poo poo out of them.

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY

WampaLord posted:

No poo poo. Even if you think Ray works there, no one is letting a staff member take someone outside and beat the poo poo out of them.

Was it "outside"? Some people have called the row of houses like cell doors. And coverups of beatings are much easier if someone is an authority position.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

WampaLord posted:

I mean, we have no idea what's real. Remember when Elliot thought he went to a crack house, did heroin, and got shot to death? None of that happened. It wasn't even a stand-in for anything. It was a manifestation of Elliot's fears about himself and his hum weakness.

I'm also really afraid that Mr Robot is the one who killed Romero.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Unreliable narrators gently caress with my head.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Mr. Powers posted:

Unreliable narrators gently caress with my head.

Yeah. I think it's important to remember that the plot is not the story. The plot of this show is really good, but ultimately I think it's a way to explore certain themes and ideas.

It's definitely a story that uses plot to build tension and revelation, but at the same time, reveals like Darlene being Elliot's sister is as much a plot twist as it is a clarification of Elliot's mental state. Yeah, it's a big gotcha twist, but that's hardly its only value. It gives us a concrete example, in narrative terms, of how severe Elliot's delusion is.

Edit: I guess what I'm saying is that I care less what about what big plot twist may or may not happen, and more about we learn about the characters, and what they learn about themselves.

Snak fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Aug 8, 2016

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

crazysim posted:

Was it "outside"? Some people have called the row of houses like cell doors. And coverups of beatings are much easier if someone is an authority position.

Don't mind me doc, just bringing three of my unlicensed friends in here to help me move some people around. They're def not hired muscle I got off of my Silk Road website.

You're asking some smart questions

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I've always felt like the halfway house theory holds more weight than the institution theory. People visiting him ask him why he chose to be there. He can come and go, he just doesn't want to because sticking to a routine has kept him stable until now.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Don't mind me doc, just bringing three of my unlicensed friends in here to help me move some people around. They're def not hired muscle I got off of my Silk Road website.

You're asking some smart questions

And breaking into Eliot's mom's house, strolling up in his room, snatching him out of bed, all without any noise whatsoever beforehand to warn him, followed by dragging him outside the house to beat him down without any protest or appearance by his mother or any neighbors or anything is more plausible?

There's definitely something going on with Eliot's environment and experiences that he's misrepresenting to the viewer and an institution is the best explanation I've seen. Why would Eliot be in some random guy from the park's office for one-on-one counseling sessions? Did we miss a scene where Ray asked Eliot to be a therapy client right after asking him to do IT work for him?

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva

Snak posted:

I'm also really afraid that Mr Robot is the one who killed Romero.

I'm convinced he did. Especially because he threatened to do it before.

This one is more of a stretch but I also think Mr Robot put that guy up to killing Gideon. The guy was unhinged, so could have been in the institution with Elliot where Mr Robot could convince him to get out and go after Gideon.

If that's not what happened, Elliot got saved a world of bother from Gideon going to the FBI through sheer luck.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine

Licarn posted:

I'm convinced he did. Especially because he threatened to do it before.

This one is more of a stretch but I also think Mr Robot put that guy up to killing Gideon. The guy was unhinged, so could have been in the institution with Elliot where Mr Robot could convince him to get out and go after Gideon.

If that's not what happened, Elliot got saved a world of bother from Gideon going to the FBI through sheer luck.

Damnit, that would be too perfect to pass up. You're the first person I've heard say this and now I'm convinced. Elliot... :(

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
I prefer that Elliot was saved through blind luck. Him loving with a crazy mans head to convince him to murder him is very implausible, supervillain levels of implausible

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

savinhill posted:

Did we miss a scene where Ray asked Eliot to be a therapy client right after asking him to do IT work for him?

We actually (kinda) did. In the first or second episode, Ray says to him something like "You really don't remember the talk we had last night?" and mentions something IIRC about an "understanding" they had or some such.

There is definitely some Mr. Robot/Ray interaction we haven't seen yet.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Institution theory people, answer me this, and please do it without saying "Well, she's actually saying something else and Elliot's brain is filtering it to what we hear."

Why did Darlene ask about where their mom is if he's actually not at his mom's house?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
She said "Where's the she-devil" or something, which could just refer to his nurse.

I think the institution is a big red herring but it's still plausible because of that.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
I dont like institution theory because I dont like the idea this show needs a mind blow "fight club like" reveal each season

It was awesome in the first season, but it becomes kind of a lame gimmick if they gonna do it every season

That said, I think is very possible indeed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

precision posted:

She said "Where's the she-devil" or something, which could just refer to his nurse.

Why would she call his nurse a she-devil? It's been established she hates their mom, now you're claiming she hates his nurse for no reason?

• Locked thread