Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Halloween Jack posted:

Master P had just released two #1 albums in 1997 and 1998, he'd been on 2 compilations that hit the Top 10 that same year, and would release an album that hit #2 in October. (This is overall Billboard Top 200.)

His singles didn't break out of hip-hop fandom quite so much as some other rappers, and the following year's album didn't break the top 20--so it's not surprising you've never heard of him, and that most people don't remember him for anything other than that stupid "Make 'em say uhhh" song. But he was definitely a top-selling artist who had just hit his peak. He was a pioneer of the concept of rapper as "mogul" with a diverse business portfolio, and is still one of the richest people in hip-hop.

he was Lil' Romeo's dad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls

exploding mummy posted:

he was Lil' Romeo's dad

He has a platinum tank.

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル

The American Dream posted:

He has a platinum tank.

I always thought it was a golden tank.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I remember the announcers doing their big "OHOHO LOOK WHO'S HERE" thing when Sable was on camera, which makes it even funnier if they never had any plans in regard to her

CoolCat
Jun 29, 2015

Louis Theroux did an episode looking into rap culture and visited Master P's home. Master P came to the conclusion that Louis didn't have what it takes to make it in rap, understandably.

Louis is 0-2 when it comes to WCW Icons (Sarge being the other, obviously).

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
At least Master P was famous. Why did WCW want DJ Ran to do live turntablism at all their shows? Don't they know raaaaaaaap is crap?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Animal-Mother posted:

At least Master P was famous. Why did WCW want DJ Ran to do live turntablism at all their shows? Don't they know raaaaaaaap is crap?

To hype up the crowds. DJ Ran was cool.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

MassRafTer posted:

To hype up the crowds. DJ Riki Rachtman was cool.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Animal-Mother posted:

Why did WCW want DJ Ran to do live turntablism at all their shows?
I don't remember that happening. I do remember hearing a guy yell "make some noise!" and a few sound effects that were never in sync with anything else that was happening.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
No Limit Records was Cash Money Records before Cash Money were. Basically they filled the gap from Death Row to Cash Money.

The less said about Snoop's tenure in No Limit the better, however...

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

All this talk about Master P reminds of his No Limit Soldiers stable, particularly Big Swoll and his notable moves according to Wikipedia

Wikipedia posted:

Finishing moves
Palm thrust to the opponent's chest

Signature moves
Clothesline
Scoop powerslam

Needs More Ditka
Dec 3, 2005

We are ruthless and ask no quarter from you. When our turn comes we shall not disguise our terrorism.
I'm finding it difficult to understand Bischoff. It seems like he was a smart guy when he started. He had owned multiple businesses with varying degrees of success. He made it to the big leagues as a commentator, which was a job he started doing because he happened to be wearing a suit in the right place at the right time. He was granted a spot to run the number 2 promotion in America. He decided to go head to head with the number one promotion to take some market share. He correctly read ECW's popularity for small flippy guys and brought them onto his show while making it seem like he took a risk he really didn't. He signed up the competition's guys to steal eyeballs and he picked the right storyline to steal from Japan and made it to number 1 for awhile, and if I remember correctly he even turned a profit once.

And then he went insane and there were logos on the hood of his car and the set change that would save the company and didn't promote any new guys and storyline that never ended and finger pokes of doom and all the stuff we're talking about.

It just seems like a very stark change between Bischoff is competent to Bischoff is stunningly stupid. What happened? Was he just a slick talker that managed to put himself in a position he was way over his head in? Or was his method of success more a matter of throwing anything at a wall and seeing if it sticks and he was exposed once they stopped sticking? Or were his bad decisions mostly made from worrying about the competition instead of the product and he would've run just fine if he pretended he was the only game in town?

Cocaine is an acceptable answer.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

He was an egomaniac who gave up way too much for short term gains and had no long term plan or vision. You have to give him credit for basically inventing the modern weekly wrestling show but with the benefit of hindsight he looks like an extraordinarily bad gambler playing with a blank checkbook

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
The problem was, Bischoff became buddies with guys like Hogan and Nash so he could pretend to be super cool. So his decision making got wrapped up in making sure his buddies were happy so he could continue to "be cool". At least that's my take on all the things I've read over the years.

laz0rbeak
Oct 9, 2011

Needs More Ditka posted:

I'm finding it difficult to understand Bischoff. It seems like he was a smart guy when he started. He had owned multiple businesses with varying degrees of success. He made it to the big leagues as a commentator, which was a job he started doing because he happened to be wearing a suit in the right place at the right time. He was granted a spot to run the number 2 promotion in America. He decided to go head to head with the number one promotion to take some market share. He correctly read ECW's popularity for small flippy guys and brought them onto his show while making it seem like he took a risk he really didn't. He signed up the competition's guys to steal eyeballs and he picked the right storyline to steal from Japan and made it to number 1 for awhile, and if I remember correctly he even turned a profit once.

And then he went insane and there were logos on the hood of his car and the set change that would save the company and didn't promote any new guys and storyline that never ended and finger pokes of doom and all the stuff we're talking about.

It just seems like a very stark change between Bischoff is competent to Bischoff is stunningly stupid. What happened? Was he just a slick talker that managed to put himself in a position he was way over his head in? Or was his method of success more a matter of throwing anything at a wall and seeing if it sticks and he was exposed once they stopped sticking? Or were his bad decisions mostly made from worrying about the competition instead of the product and he would've run just fine if he pretended he was the only game in town?

Cocaine is an acceptable answer.

I think Bischoff was a pretty great promoter at the time. Yes, he misfired- Souled Out, the biker rally, Glacier, etc., but he was also injecting new energy into wrestling television that made it actually entertaining to watch, and not in a "oh what's the big show in two months going to be?" sort of way. As far as what went wrong, part of it is probably being too chummy with Hogan and co., but part of it is probably just that he was mentally exhausted by 1998. Being Vince McMahon is an impossible job that slowly drives you insane, and after being a very hands-on VP for the first few years, he took a step back and Nash and company basically booked themselves into the ground without anybody to stop them.

Claytor
Dec 5, 2011

Needs More Ditka posted:

I'm finding it difficult to understand Bischoff.

The skills that go into running a large-scale, personality-dependent operation and the skills that get you hired to run that operation are completely different. Bischoff showed up to his Turner meeting with concept art for a new set and the claim that he wouldn't take the job unless it came with a guaranteed Monday night WCW show. His entire run is marked with big, bold moves like that, and he's got the sort of natural charisma that can get someone to go "Yeah, let's pay Ray Lloyd a quarter million dollars to wear a Sub-Zero costume." It started to fail because he didn't have actual management ability. While Vince McMahon was building a stable of backstage management guys who could be trusted to maintain some sort of order, Bischoff never had the ability or inclination to find his own Pat Patterson and Kevin Dunn to assist in keeping the product together.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Claytor posted:

The skills that go into running a large-scale, personality-dependent operation and the skills that get you hired to run that operation are completely different. Bischoff showed up to his Turner meeting with concept art for a new set and the claim that he wouldn't take the job unless it came with a guaranteed Monday night WCW show. His entire run is marked with big, bold moves like that, and he's got the sort of natural charisma that can get someone to go "Yeah, let's pay Ray Lloyd a quarter million dollars to wear a Sub-Zero costume." It started to fail because he didn't have actual management ability. While Vince McMahon was building a stable of backstage management guys who could be trusted to maintain some sort of order, Bischoff never had the ability or inclination to find his own Pat Patterson and Kevin Dunn to assist in keeping the product together.

That isn't how Nitro came about at all. Bischoff came to power years before Nitro came about and the idea to do a Monday Night show came from Turner's mouth after Bischoff tried to explain Saturday Night's timeslot wasn't as good as Raw's.

Claytor
Dec 5, 2011

MassRafTer posted:

That isn't how Nitro came about at all. Bischoff came to power years before Nitro came about and the idea to do a Monday Night show came from Turner's mouth after Bischoff tried to explain Saturday Night's timeslot wasn't as good as Raw's.

I'm familiar with the story about Bischoff getting in Turner's ear about Saturday not being competitive with Raw, but I'd thought that his pitch for what to do with a Monday show was what had gotten him the position he had. While I believe you when you say that isn't what happened, I almost get the impression that someone out there has spent the last couple of decades pushing some sort of "Bischoff as architect of Nitro" narrative.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Claytor posted:

I almost get the impression that someone out there has spent the last couple of decades pushing some sort of "Bischoff as architect of Nitro" narrative.

That someone is Eric Bischoff.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Claytor posted:

I'm familiar with the story about Bischoff getting in Turner's ear about Saturday not being competitive with Raw, but I'd thought that his pitch for what to do with a Monday show was what had gotten him the position he had. While I believe you when you say that isn't what happened, I almost get the impression that someone out there has spent the last couple of decades pushing some sort of "Bischoff as architect of Nitro" narrative.

Bischoff was definitely the architect of the show, I'm just telling you he didn't go into Turner's office to get the job that way. His first show changing brainstorm was the Disney tapings. Bischoff deserves a lot of credit for Nitro, as does Zane Bresloff. Sullivan too as he booked a lot of it and it was his connections that got all the ECW talent they signed.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Claytor posted:

Bischoff had been the executive producer or vice president of WCW for 2 and a half years before Nitro was broadcast.

Funkchop
Jun 9, 2013
I'm still mad about Bischoff name dropping Jim Ross last week and criticizing commentators for not knowing the stupid karate names of moves that he insists on using. Every time he says "back leg front kick" I hate him just a little bit more.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Funkchop posted:

I'm still mad about Bischoff name dropping Jim Ross last week and criticizing commentators for not knowing the stupid karate names of moves that he insists on using. Every time he says "back leg front kick" I hate him just a little bit more.

Can he at least say the Japanese name

That's all I ask

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Eric Bischoff wanting to teach the world to call it a mae-geri would be way more annoying.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

This suddenly gives me an idea where Bischoff signs The Wu-Tang Clan instead of Master P and they go on to have a 'Wu-Tang Tiger Style Kung-Fu' vs Karate angle against the Cat and Ray Lloyd.
This would obviously be dogshit but the idea of The Cat getting his rear end kicked by newest member of the Wu-Tang Clan Scott Norton would fill me with glee.

Road wild is a six man match between Lloyd, Cat and Bischoff against Norton and the Killah Beez (Jim Brunzell and B. Brian Blair obviously).

ChrisBTY fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Aug 8, 2016

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I feel like when the WWF started to not just rebound but consistently kick WCW's rear end that Bischoff really panicked. There's a real sense of throwing stuff at the wall (and trying to imitate the insanity of the Attitude era)- he doubles down on big celebrity guest spots that don't work and concerts and the shows just get messier and messier.

And as said above he was way too much "part of the crowd" with Nash, Hogan, etc. I can appreciate that it was hard to say no to them to begin with because of a very real threat that they could go back to the competition (especially when WWF had money again), hence creative control and so on, but he didn't even recognize a problem.

A bit of Founder's Syndrome sets in too. The WCW became the top promotion based on spectacle and big stars from the 80s, so we're just gonna keep doing that until it works again.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Bischoff was obsessed with "beating" the WWF, particularly in the ratings, and as time went on he became increasingly desperate to do so. He threw away a lot of money matches (and just a lot of money) trying to boost Nitro's ratings.

Funkchop
Jun 9, 2013

Halloween Jack posted:

Bischoff was obsessed with "beating" the WWF, particularly in the ratings, and as time went on he became increasingly desperate to do so. He threw away a lot of money matches (and just a lot of money) trying to boost Nitro's ratings.

To me the best part of his desperation was openly challenging Vince to a shoot fight on PPV in the hopes of some publicity. Vince outright ignoring him must've eaten away at him so badly

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Funkchop posted:

To me the best part of his desperation was openly challenging Vince to a shoot fight on PPV in the hopes of some publicity. Vince outright ignoring him must've eaten away at him so badly

He didn't completely ignore him. McDevitt sent a cease & desist letter about advertising the Bischoff/McMahon match as though it was actually happening. I think Eric read the letter out loud during a Nitro or something.

Funkchop
Jun 9, 2013
Oh right lol. I think there was a part in Death of WCW about that, where they had to try and explain to a judge why advertising the match by saying "there's no way Vince will show up!" meant that they were telling the audience he was definitely going to show up.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
McMahon's letter also implied he'd be happy to fight in a gym or a parking lot somewhere, just not on a WCW show.

The whole thing was worth it because we got to see Bischoff come down to the ring dressed like a bad guy from Final Fight, punching at the camera like a UFC fighter, just to have a ref do a 3-count in an empty ring.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Halloween Jack posted:

McMahon's letter also implied he'd be happy to fight in a gym or a parking lot somewhere, just not on a WCW show.

The whole thing was worth it because we got to see Bischoff come down to the ring dressed like a bad guy from Final Fight, punching at the camera like a UFC fighter, just to have a ref do a 3-count in an empty ring.

Not a three count, Bischoff led the ref and the crowd in a count out. Michael Buffer joined in.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

I hope Buffer charged them a premium for that

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

oatgan posted:

He was an egomaniac who gave up way too much for short term gains and had no long term plan or vision. You have to give him credit for basically inventing the modern weekly wrestling show but with the benefit of hindsight he looks like an extraordinarily bad gambler playing with a blank checkbook

Old timers would argue Bill Watts invented weekly episodic wrestling. I believe Bischoff was the first to use overruns as a plot device, however.

coconono fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Aug 8, 2016

laz0rbeak
Oct 9, 2011

Halloween Jack posted:

A lot of people like to harp on all the money WCW lost by "giving away" big matches, but WCW was in a different position than Vince because they were literally owned by a media company/television station and increased ratings meant better sponsorship and a happier network. That doesn't excuse general idiocy of things like never doing Goldberg/Hogan II.

Totally agree on the failure to delegate, too. As much as everyone seems to hate Kevin Dunn, Vince has a network of guys below him that he can trust, even as he micro-manages day-to-day stuff. Eric didn't do nearly as good a job doing that. I think that people that whine about Bischoff not doing anything to keep egos in check ignore that guys like Hogan made way more than him and had the power to get him fired if he didn't keep him happy.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Unfortunately, Goldberg Hogan 2 only had one possible ending and it would not have been good for the continuing fortunes of the company.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
Bischoff is the wrestling equivalent of that guy in your town who owns a company that does car detailing and stereos. He makes a lot of money, employs all his idiot sons and has a nice house, but you also have to wonder why he drives everywhere in his lowrider durango that has bitchin' green flames all over it and a giant stereo system mounted in the back. Just because a person is successful and makes some good decisions monetarily when running a company doesn't mean they have good taste. If you were getting paid millions of dollars to be able to portray yourself on a program with millions of viewers and basically unlimited budget, do you think you could resist living out all your dumb 8 year old boy fantasies on someone elses dime? Because I'm not sure I could TBH.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

I like that Eric Bischoff, a non wrestler, worked a better match at Starrcade 97 than the two guys in the main event

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

laz0rbeak posted:

A lot of people like to harp on all the money WCW lost by "giving away" big matches, but WCW was in a different position than Vince because they were literally owned by a media company/television station and increased ratings meant better sponsorship and a happier network. That doesn't excuse general idiocy of things like never doing Goldberg/Hogan II.
Fair enough, but as time went on they also got extremely sloppy about the basics of good promotion, failing to properly advertise, merchandise, book to appeal to regional tastes, etc. (Speaking of which, I can't remember what the situation was with Zane Bresloff--if he was with the company till the end, demoted at some point, etc. I can't imagine he was the one who got sloppy.) A lot of opportunities were missed as Bischoff focused on getting big ratings for Nitro main events. (A good example is the James Brown appearance, which had no impact on buys because it was a surprise appearance.)

Regarding Bischoff as manager, I agree completely. Yes, Hogan had a lot of power, but whose idea was it to acquire him? He was completely unable to ride herd on the main eventers or organize a well-run booking committee. (Whose decision was it to put Nash on the book, anyway?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
The James Brown appearance was on a PPV, which makes even less sense. You can say "Hey, James Brown is on Nitro!" and people can change the channel. Nobody is going to spend $30 halfway through a live PPV because James Brown showed up.