Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Night Lords is what started me on a 40K kick again, Helsreach was good if a little, dry? I've actually been meaning to read Space Marine for ages just to see what it's like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
I'd been sleeping on The Emperor's Gift for too long, god drat. This book is loving good. I'm only about halfway through but I'm loving it so far. Aaron Dembski-Bowden does a really great job at writing autistic murderers and I mean that in the most sincere way possible.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Orv posted:

Night Lords is what started me on a 40K kick again, Helsreach was good if a little, dry? I've actually been meaning to read Space Marine for ages just to see what it's like.

Space Marine is fun but is old 40k, so it's a bit weird.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

Angry Lobster posted:

They attack a tyranid ship through its rear end in a top hat as it farts

True story

Orv
May 4, 2011

Angry Lobster posted:

Boy you weren't joking.

Also in finishing Pariah it struck me that all of the Eisenhorn books make me really hungry.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
anyone reading the space wolf saga subscription thing they are putting out?

is it poo poo?

i mean i know its poo poo, but how bad is it really

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Orv posted:

Boy you weren't joking.

Also in finishing Pariah it struck me that all of the Eisenhorn books make me really hungry.

Hope you enjoyed all the transhuman homoeroticism and the rest of bizarre moments, Ian Watson era novels are weird.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
I finished book 4 of the Beast Arises - The Last Wall. As feared, it wasn't great - I'm not a fan of Annandale's writing style, and things just weren't particularly interesting. There were two decent parts though: an assumed IG defense line fighting off an Ork siege, that turns out to be an Iron Warriors fortress, defended by Chaos IG/thralls. The IWs send in a flight of Thunderhawks who just wind up blasting the wall and collapsing it on the Orks, killing the defenders who are overjoyed to see their Iron Lords, even though they are butchered in the process. Also, the last two chapters had a pretty engaging new addition to the character roster - an Ork ambassador (a new caste of Ork?) who has an excellent grasp of Imperial Gothic and demands the surrender of Terra.

Probably the weakest book in the series so far, aside from those two events.

I've begun book 5 - it starts off with a bunch of Harlequins infiltrating Terra and running amok with the Golden Throne in their sights.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Angry Lobster posted:

Hope you enjoyed all the transhuman homoeroticism and the rest of bizarre moments, Ian Watson era novels are weird.

It was like someone took the logical extent of the 300 movies banana hammock world and just kept sprinting with that idea. It's a neat book to see what the hell but man, what a weird thing after 40K has become so codified in the modern era.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Waroduce posted:

anyone reading the space wolf saga subscription thing they are putting out?

is it poo poo?

i mean i know its poo poo, but how bad is it really

Brace yourself, for what I'm about to say may shock and suprise you.

It sets itself up as really shaking up the status quo.

The reality is it meanders dully for several hundred pages before a copout ending that doesn't really change a thing. Oh, but leaves a major plot thread that's driven half the book unresolved so they can bring out yet another follow up later.

It's an offensive waste of time. You could just read a one paragraph summary of it and not bother reading it.

In fact lets do it!.

Chaos attacks the Fenris system and a demonic infiltrator tricks the Dark Angels into thinking the Space Wolves may have gone rogue. Logan Grimnar goes missing on one of the worlds and his brothers try and find him. There's a lot of mediocre action. The Angels and Wolves nearly fight but then they don't because a Grey Knight goes 'No. The real baddie is standing over there'. Logan Grimnar never makes his final leap home(or at least his status is left completely unresolved).

Deptfordx fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Aug 5, 2016

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?

SRM posted:

I'd been sleeping on The Emperor's Gift for too long, god drat. This book is loving good. I'm only about halfway through but I'm loving it so far. Aaron Dembski-Bowden does a really great job at writing autistic murderers and I mean that in the most sincere way possible.

One of the few books I've ever read that I feel I can read over and over. I've actually read it more than any other book...

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

Angry Lobster posted:

any book where a titan flips of other titans can't be bad

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Just finished the Priests of Mars trilogy. It was, honestly, probably the best 40k fiction I've ever read, especially with regards to the two Magos Tychons. Like that was actually emotive writing.

Also hilarious how the entire series just kept dumping over and over again on poor Guardsman Hawke (of Storm of Iron fame).

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So I burnt through the Eisenhorn and Ravenor trilogies over the past few weeks and just started Pariah. I'm almost halfway through now, and without spoiling anything, are they retconning Bequin's backstory or is there some kind of fuckery going on that'll be revealed later on?

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
There will be a reveal at the appropriate time.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Never because he stopped writing them

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So I watched that guy Arch Warhammer's video about some upcoming Eldar fluff potentially regarding Ynnead. Apart from him mispronouncing Ynnead as Yennad, I thought it was an interesting idea that the Eldar would go whole hog with summoning a new Warp god of vengeance to challenge Slaanesh.

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MMAgCh posted:

There will be a reveal at the appropriate time.
Good to know, I was afraid of googling it after spoiling myself on Fischig/Cherubael when looking up Daemonhosts.

e: Aaaaand I think I might have just spoiled Pariah for myself by googling Cherubael. gently caress the 40k Wikia. :suicide:

Waroduce posted:

Never because he stopped writing them
When I was reading Eisenhorn I looked Abnett up and saw he had put out the first book of a Bequin trilogy and thought to myself, "Cool, maybe the second book will be out by the time I finish Ravenor!" :smith:

bango skank fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Aug 8, 2016

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
At this point I don't even want to try to guess which'll be published first, Penitent or the next Song of Ice and Fire book.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

MMAgCh posted:

At this point I don't even want to try to guess which'll be published first, Penitent or the next Song of Ice and Fire book.

Or Warmaster.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Arcsquad12 posted:

So I watched that guy Arch Warhammer's video about some upcoming Eldar fluff potentially regarding Ynnead. Apart from him mispronouncing Ynnead as Yennad, I thought it was an interesting idea that the Eldar would go whole hog with summoning a new Warp god of vengeance to challenge Slaanesh.
He didn't pronounce it like Sinead?

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So I'm just about finished with Pariah and I'm deciding what my next warham book to read is going to be. All I've read so far are the Eisenhorn and Ravenor trilogies and the first Space Wolf, so I've got plenty of options.

Is it feasible to read individual books or series more-or-less chronologically with regards to the universe at large? I noticed the first book I read(Space Wolf) takes place something like 500 years after Eisenhorn and there wasn't much difference as far as the setting was concerned so it probably doesn't matter but I just think it'd be neat to go forward through the timeline as I read.

franchise1
Jun 5, 2006

bango skank posted:

So I'm just about finished with Pariah and I'm deciding what my next warham book to read is going to be. All I've read so far are the Eisenhorn and Ravenor trilogies and the first Space Wolf, so I've got plenty of options.

Is it feasible to read individual books or series more-or-less chronologically with regards to the universe at large? I noticed the first book I read(Space Wolf) takes place something like 500 years after Eisenhorn and there wasn't much difference as far as the setting was concerned so it probably doesn't matter but I just think it'd be neat to go forward through the timeline as I read.

I went to the Gaunt's Ghosts books afterwards and they are up to the same sort of standard. There is quite a few so they should keep you busy.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Helsreach
Noght Lords
X of Mars if you like the cog boys

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

bango skank posted:

GW have never been particularly careful with the timeline and warp travel can gently caress with it. To the point where the second and third wars for Armageddon both happened in 999 M.41. Let by the same Ork, beaten by the same Yarrick...

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Waroduce posted:

Helsreach
Noght Lords
ADB is my favorite BL author, but I feel like Helsreach is one of his weaker books, despite how great Grimaldus and his sidekick Andrej are. I'm almost done with The Emperor's Gift and I think it's way, way stronger. Like up there with his Night Lords stuff.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
GW's stance towards canon and continuity has always been "shut the gently caress up you nerds" which is probably one of their better decisions.

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Alright, I think I'll start with Night Lords just to get those three out of the way and to read something by a different author before I start in on the 12+ books of Gaunt's Ghosts. Thanks for the replies.

Kharn_The_Betrayer
Nov 15, 2013

Fun Shoe

SRM posted:

ADB is my favorite BL author, but I feel like Helsreach is one of his weaker books, despite how great Grimaldus and his sidekick Andrej are. I'm almost done with The Emperor's Gift and I think it's way, way stronger. Like up there with his Night Lords stuff.

I think you have that wrong it's: Andrej AND sidekick Gimaldus. Old Grimmy even has abit of a fanboy momment with andrej.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Helsreach is like a top 3 for me honestly. Below only Eisenhorn and NLs.

His grey knight book was good too

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

Deptfordx posted:

Brace yourself, for what I'm about to say may shock and suprise you.

It sets itself up as really shaking up the status quo.

The reality is it meanders dully for several hundred pages before a copout ending that doesn't really change a thing. Oh, but leaves a major plot thread that's driven half the book unresolved so they can bring out yet another follow up later.

It's an offensive waste of time. You could just read a one paragraph summary of it and not bother reading it.

In fact lets do it!.

Chaos attacks the Fenris system and a demonic infiltrator tricks the Dark Angels into thinking the Space Wolves may have gone rogue. Logan Grimnar goes missing on one of the worlds and his brothers try and find him. There's a lot of mediocre action. The Angels and Wolves nearly fight but then they don't because a Grey Knight goes 'No. The real baddie is standing over there'. Logan Grimnar never makes his final leap home(or at least his status is left completely unresolved).

Canis Wolfborn dies too

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Canis Wolfborn dies too

Noooo

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

Dead serious here for a moment.

What is up with the last 2 years? Not a single good book (as in: book written by DA / ADB / Chris Wraight) was published?

If these 3 clowns stopped writing I'm quitting warhams.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Mikojan posted:

Dead serious here for a moment.

What is up with the last 2 years? Not a single good book (as in: book written by DA / ADB / Chris Wraight) was published?

If these 3 clowns stopped writing I'm quitting warhams.

I think Abnett has been busy with other projects (that probably pay more than BL.) Chris Wraight did The Path of Heaven in April. Master of Mankind went to print last week. Books take like two to three years from start to shelf, so there is going to be a delay from individual authors.

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

berzerkmonkey posted:

I think Abnett has been busy with other projects (that probably pay more than BL.) Chris Wraight did The Path of Heaven in April. Master of Mankind went to print last week. Books take like two to three years from start to shelf, so there is going to be a delay from individual authors.

Hey that Path of heaven book completely dodged my radar, thanks for that! but is it good though

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

I thought it was pretty :mediocre:, but then nothing Chris Wraight has written has been anything more than serviceable to me.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
I'm listening to I Am Slaughter right now and hoowee this book is not very good. I'm a quarter through it and it's basically Starship Troopers movie bugs against Space Marines while a magos spouts off meaningless technobabble and a bunch of bureaucrats do nothing. There's a master of assassins who's pretty cool but he hasn't really done anything either. The Fists all having GI Joe names doesn't help, and it bums me out that he didn't go as crazy with the rest of the book as he did with their names. There's a Marine simply named "Stab" in this book ffs. I can almost hear the dialtone of Abnett phoning it in from here, which bums me out given how great so much of his other stuff is.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

SRM posted:

I'm listening to I Am Slaughter right now and hoowee this book is not very good. I'm a quarter through it and it's basically Starship Troopers movie bugs against Space Marines while a magos spouts off meaningless technobabble and a bunch of bureaucrats do nothing. There's a master of assassins who's pretty cool but he hasn't really done anything either. The Fists all having GI Joe names doesn't help, and it bums me out that he didn't go as crazy with the rest of the book as he did with their names. There's a Marine simply named "Stab" in this book ffs. I can almost hear the dialtone of Abnett phoning it in from here, which bums me out given how great so much of his other stuff is.

The quality of that series is all over the place. I'm basically just reading them for the Assassinorium plotlines now.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

Deptfordx posted:

The quality of that series is all over the place. I'm basically just reading them for the Assassinorium plotlines now.

This is what im doing :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011

SRM posted:

Helsreach to me felt like the hospital antiseptic smell of Warhammer novels. Everyone is very happy to serve the Emperor, but they're all privately upset about how they get to do it, but they'll die heroically/tragically anyway. The Space Marines are super soldiers that have no fear and praise the Emperor, but they do have human flaws. The Guard/city leaders are all way in over their heads, but they do their part admirably and serve the Emperor in it. The one techpriest that runs away from the Titan finds peace serving the Emperor in his own way and then dies shittily. It all felt very Warhammer formula, even if it had a bunch of individually good scenes and plot strings.

Currently working my way through the first four Space Wolf books, it's nice to see more of the technical side of Space Marine creation but I can already tell I'm going to want to throttle Ragnar by book two.