Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Boris Galerkin posted:

e: Other random questions: is the https everywhere extension worth using? I always see it recommended but I remember using it before and had to disable it because it would break some websites (but I don't remember which or how).

If you like random sites breaking then install it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not Al-Qaeda
Mar 20, 2012
ya i hate the new address bar. something about it makes it harder to parse.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Boris Galerkin posted:

e: Other random questions: is the https everywhere extension worth using? I always see it recommended but I remember using it before and had to disable it because it would break some websites (but I don't remember which or how).

Over 99% of websites work just fine with it. I have found one website where the https version existed, but was out-of-date by like 8 months or something for some reason.

Scott808
Jul 11, 2001
I turned off all the autocomplete and search settings for the address bar, so at least now all I'm left with is the stupid VISIT entry at the top. It was being weird and not showing bookmarks sometimes with the URL guessing or autocomplete on. Like if I started typing somethin I might get either search somethin with Google, visit somethingawful.com, and sometimes I'd get the https://www.somethingawful.com bookmark under it, other entries might not show the bookmark, just visit. loving weird and useless.

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/search-web-address-bar
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/awesome-bar-search-firefox-bookmarks-history-tabs

keyword.enabled - false
browser.fixup.alternate.enabled - false
browser.urlbar.autoFill - false

You can also switch the Title - URL order if you want URL first, title second.
https://www.reddit.com/r/firefox/comments/4vv2qt/ff48_disabling_browserurlbarunifiedcomplete_no/d633mgj

Zero The Hero
Jan 7, 2009

Wheany posted:

That old familiar feeling of using a browser with sub-10% market share :unsmith:

Yeah, but it had so many features, and they all worked so well. There were so many times that either Chrome or Firefox would unveil some new feature that my friends would freak out over, only to see something that had been in Opera for literally years.

Read posted:

Vivaldi is shaping up pretty well.

I was excited when I first read about Vivaldi, it was supposed to be the old version of Opera. Then I tried it out and it was just a fork of the current Opera. I was extremely disappointed. Also, it's terribly ugly.

Also, is there a way to get Firefox to maintain text input when I navigate away? My SA posts are still there when I come back after going to another page, but a lot of other pages don't maintain that.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
Is there a way to fake or set the geo location of the browser that actually works? I tried Geolocater extension, but it's broken (in recent Firefox versions?).

I'd actually like to add the correct location to the browser, so that weather sites don't show me the weather of a city hundreds of miles away, because the location based on my IP is wrong.

I think it's actually kind of weird that this isn't just a setting.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Isn't the simpler solution to just set your location on the weather site you use? Or just bookmark the page specific to your location.

If you need to manually set/spoof your location for some reason though, maybe this? https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/location-guard/

Depending on how the sites in question are estimating your location you might need to use a VPN or proxy.

Read fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Aug 8, 2016

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

This browser has become a joke. No wonder the user base just keeps on shrinking. At this speed Firefox will lay next to Opera in the same grave.

Zero The Hero
Jan 7, 2009

Ihmemies posted:

This browser has become a joke. No wonder the user base just keeps on shrinking. At this speed Firefox will lay next to Opera in the same grave.

I don't think the web can tolerate having to choose between Chrome and IE. That's like the browser version of the current presidential race

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Zero The Hero posted:

I don't think the web can tolerate having to choose between Chrome and IE. That's like the browser version of the current presidential race

They probably could. Edge has extensions now, but not in private browsing (where, at least for stuff like adblock, you'd probably need them most). As weird as Chrome's rendering is, it'd probably take the crown.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Zero The Hero posted:

At work I actively choose IE over Chrome and only use Chrome as last resort when pages don't work on IE11. (Wtf DHL?!)
If only for the simple reason that IE is more customizable than Chrome at this point, without resorting to extensions. And my workplace is sane enough to block ad networks at the firewall.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

IE chugs like a fraternity.

Zero The Hero
Jan 7, 2009

Sir Unimaginative posted:

They probably could. Edge has extensions now, but not in private browsing (where, at least for stuff like adblock, you'd probably need them most). As weird as Chrome's rendering is, it'd probably take the crown.

Too many people like me who don't want to be data mined by a major corporation.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Zero The Hero posted:

This is probably why Firefox still exists, and why Pale Moon of all things is getting any traction at all from Mozilla's errors.

Also, man, if you looked at a web page's resource manifest or a traceroute report...

Zero The Hero
Jan 7, 2009

This is probably why Firefox still exists, and why Pale Moon of all things is getting any traction at all from Mozilla's errors.

Also, man, if you looked at a web page's resource manifest or a traceroute report...

I'm a web developer, I'm aware. But you do what you can. From the viewpoint of a free software enthusiast, IE vs Chrome (or safari) is a false dichotomy. You're not choosing the lesser of two evils, either choice is buying into the system.
Not that I'm even much of a free software guy, I mean, I was a huge Opera fan. I just hate a number of the decisions Chrome has made, and my total inability to do anything about it.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Zero The Hero posted:

:agreed:

Even if Firefox murders CTR in its sleep, I'm still not sure I'd change browsers for this very reason.

Well now I'm curious. Got an example? Or how can I do this myself?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I've been primarily on chrome for about two months now, and honestly, it's worse. It runs a bit better when sites don't randomly crash tabs, but the customization even with add-ons is bad. I think I'll be going back to firefox after my chomeos test period is over.

The only thing keeping me going sane is fauxbar. How is awesome bar not a part of every browser yet?

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!
The big positive with Firefox is being able to undo stupid changes with addons. Chrome makes every decision by picking the majority based on data, which is fine if you're a very non-savvy internet user or someone just starting to use an internet browser for the first time.

But even if 90% of users like every individual decision chrome makes, and it's certainly not that high, eventually you're going to get the one decision you can't live with. Or the ten decisions that you don't like very much and eventually push you over the edge.

With Firefox you have CTR or other addons, but with chrome you've got no recourse in many cases.

Of course the more dumb decisions Mozilla makes the worse the browser is for users who don't use addons. The more like chrome they make the base browser the less reason non-power users have to pick Firefox over chrome. Unless you have a clear idea what you want to do with your browser, as a first time user, Firefox isn't meaningfully different from chrome.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
The thing keeping me on Firefox is the bookmarks toolbar combined with live bookmarks. It is simple and perfect for me. Chrome's RSS extensions just don't compete with Firefox's version that just works.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I'm just curious what's so bad about Firefox now? I run it at work and on my desktop with Safari on my Mac and with just 1Password (though it's poo poo on Windows) and uBlock Origin I can't really find any complaints.

Well, other than stupid features like Pocket and Hello being baked in but I have a user.js file now that I use to automatically configure / disable everything.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Boris Galerkin posted:

I'm just curious what's so bad about Firefox now?

I personally stopped using it because I can't get font rendering to not look like poo poo compared to Chrome on Windows 10

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Boris Galerkin posted:

I'm just curious what's so bad about Firefox now? I run it at work and on my desktop with Safari on my Mac and with just 1Password (though it's poo poo on Windows) and uBlock Origin I can't really find any complaints.

Well, other than stupid features like Pocket and Hello being baked in but I have a user.js file now that I use to automatically configure / disable everything.

Good news! The next version of Firefox is decommissioning Hello!

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Nalin posted:

Good news! The next version of Firefox is decommissioning Hello!

I went to look for Firefox OS and looks like they've discontinued that too. Maybe now they can get back to making a web browser. :dance:

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

Wheany posted:

I went to look for Firefox OS and looks like they've discontinued that too. Maybe now they can get back to making a web browser. :dance:

I've got bad news for you: https://blog.mozilla.org/blog/2015/12/09/firefox-os-pivot-to-connected-devices/

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
Wow, how very "lean" and "agile" of them.

Well, here's to 2017 then.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

I'm not disagreeing with you, but even with FF you still need to install and (correctly) configure at least a handful of extensions to achieve this. I haven't seen anything that does this out of the box. Even with 40%+ of users having some kind of ad blocking, which is arguably the primary goal for most people, I'd bet it's still pure theater for 99.99% of that slice with regard to actually achieving some semblance of privacy. On Win10 it becomes something of a moot point.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

Wheany posted:

Wow, how very "lean" and "agile" of them.

Well, here's to 2017 then.

It is 100x worse than Firefox OS in every way. :smith:

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Boris Galerkin posted:

I'm just curious what's so bad about Firefox now?

It's still a good browser, people are just very dramatic about their complaints.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

I have a very dramatic complaint: Firefox has started bothering me in the awesomebar to turn search suggestions back on and, quite frankly, I do not like it. I have had search suggestions off for years and I'm not at all interested in changing this setting.

astral fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Aug 10, 2016

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

the yeti posted:

The last couple releases, Firefox + Tree Style Tabs has been acting up intermittently: when firefox comes up a selection of the most recent tabs I had open when I closed it will be blank tabs, although the favicon of the site that was in the tab is still on the tab. Anyone else run into that?

Anybody?

This is what I'm seeing:

Now that I'm thinking about it Tree Style Tabs has been getting increasingly wonky, so I wouldn't hate a suggestion for a different sort of tab organizing extension as long as it can do vertical tabs.

Met48
Mar 15, 2009

the yeti posted:

Anybody?

This is what I'm seeing:

Now that I'm thinking about it Tree Style Tabs has been getting increasingly wonky, so I wouldn't hate a suggestion for a different sort of tab organizing extension as long as it can do vertical tabs.

Are these tabs from having "When Firefox starts: Show my windows and tabs from last time" selected? If so, I regularly start a firefox session that way, with a lot of tabs, and don't encounter this. Using Firefox 48.

Maybe another addon is interfering with Tree Style Tab?

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Met48 posted:

Are these tabs from having "When Firefox starts: Show my windows and tabs from last time" selected? If so, I regularly start a firefox session that way, with a lot of tabs, and don't encounter this. Using Firefox 48.

Maybe another addon is interfering with Tree Style Tab?

Yeah that's exactly it. I do have "UnloadTab" which is currently disabled to see if that makes any difference, and poking around reddit just now I see a reference that Stylish can interfere with TST. I'm not sure what I even had Stylish installed for but also disabled that to see what happens.

Ed: This implicates UnloadTab, so we'll see

https://www.reddit.com/r/firefox/comments/49qt69/is_the_unloadtab_addon_acting_up_for_anyone_else/

the yeti fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Aug 14, 2016

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Firefox has gotten horrifically slow for me lately, to the point of being unusable. I'm pretty sure it wasn't just me, since it happened on both my clunky old Linux box at home and on my very nice Macbook Pro at work, and blowing away and re-creating the profile didn't help. I had actually switched over to Chromium, which I hate but at least it worked.

But today I tried out Pale Moon, and holy poo poo it feels like being able to breathe again. It's the Firefox I knew and loved way back when, as far back as when it was called Phoenix. There's no australis, no extra bullshit, it's lean and fast, and it still has all the options that have gradually dried up and blown away on regular Firefox over the years. Most of my preferred extensions work great, though for a few of them I needed to install an older version, and others needed a special Pale Moon port: 'Encrypted Web' instead of HTTPS Everywhere, and 'Guerilla Scripting' instead of Greasemonkey. And other extensions weren't needed at all, like Classic Theme Restorer. But the extensions thing is the only hoop I had to jump through. Everything else just works right out of the box.

I'm hooked. Firefox is back, and it's on the Moon.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Powered Descent posted:

Firefox has gotten horrifically slow for me lately, to the point of being unusable. I'm pretty sure it wasn't just me, since it happened on both my clunky old Linux box at home and on my very nice Macbook Pro at work, and blowing away and re-creating the profile didn't help. I had actually switched over to Chromium, which I hate but at least it worked.

But today I tried out Pale Moon, and holy poo poo it feels like being able to breathe again. It's the Firefox I knew and loved way back when, as far back as when it was called Phoenix. There's no australis, no extra bullshit, it's lean and fast, and it still has all the options that have gradually dried up and blown away on regular Firefox over the years. Most of my preferred extensions work great, though for a few of them I needed to install an older version, and others needed a special Pale Moon port: 'Encrypted Web' instead of HTTPS Everywhere, and 'Guerilla Scripting' instead of Greasemonkey. And other extensions weren't needed at all, like Classic Theme Restorer. But the extensions thing is the only hoop I had to jump through. Everything else just works right out of the box.

I'm hooked. Firefox is back, and it's on the Moon.

On the other hand, Firefox itself is pretty speedy already and the upcoming electrolysis aka multi-process Firefox (something which explicitly is not going to be added to pale moon) is going to make that even better, australis was a great step for development because it enabled sane toolbar/widget code, and they're making it possible to disable system extensions like pocket soon - and hello is being removed in 49 (September 13) anyway.

I do agree about the removal of a lot of options (ask me every time cookies :argh:), but the healthy add-on ecosystem does a lot there.

But hey, to each their own. :shrug:

p.s. when researching pale moon's e10s plan for this post I read a thread on the pale moon forums about e10s and whew boy the sheer volume of arguments from personal incredulity there is truly something

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

astral posted:

On the other hand, Firefox itself is pretty speedy already

Hmm. Now you have me wondering if the slowdown I've been experiencing was just me after all. (I had tried asking around but it seems just about everyone I know uses Chrome, except for that one Safari weirdo.) Maybe one of my usual extensions doesn't play well with newer Firefox versions? The only extensions I had installed on both my home and work machines were HTTPS Everywhere, Classic Theme Restorer, uBlock Origin and Greasemonkey (with both home and work machines using the YouTube Link Title script, and my work machine also using a script I wrote myself to change the hideous colors on the internal company wiki). I'll do some more experimenting.

astral posted:

australis was a great step for development because it enabled sane toolbar/widget code

That may well be. And all things being equal, I'm all for cleaner code. But like 99.9% of the user base, I've never written a line of the toolbar/widget code in question. So from my perspective, all Australis did was introduce an ugly interface that looks like a cheap knockoff of Chrome, and take away a bunch of customization options. Fortunately the Classic Theme Restorer extension popped up almost immediately, and kept Firefox tolerable. But from what I've seen so far today, Pale Moon is even better.

I don't know. As Firefox critics go, I'm pretty mild. I find things like Pocket and Hello pointless but harmless. The stock Firefox could easily win me back. I mostly just want configurable everything.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I was experiencing some weird, frustrating performance issues when I went to 48. Strikingly reduced memory usage, but opening and loading a new tab would put absurd demands on the processor. I don't know what caused it, or what cured it, but there were only a few days of those shenanigans.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Powered Descent posted:

Hmm. Now you have me wondering if the slowdown I've been experiencing was just me after all. (I had tried asking around but it seems just about everyone I know uses Chrome, except for that one Safari weirdo.) Maybe one of my usual extensions doesn't play well with newer Firefox versions? The only extensions I had installed on both my home and work machines were HTTPS Everywhere, Classic Theme Restorer, uBlock Origin and Greasemonkey (with both home and work machines using the YouTube Link Title script, and my work machine also using a script I wrote myself to change the hideous colors on the internal company wiki). I'll do some more experimenting.

I'd suggest testing without HTTPS Everywhere - it's anecdotal, but I've heard more about issues caused by that extension than real benefits from it. Personally I use uBlock Origin, NoScript, SALR, Stylish, and I've been trying out Cookie Controller based on a recommendation from earlier this thread.

quote:

That may well be. And all things being equal, I'm all for cleaner code. But like 99.9% of the user base, I've never written a line of the toolbar/widget code in question. So from my perspective, all Australis did was introduce an ugly interface that looks like a cheap knockoff of Chrome, and take away a bunch of customization options. Fortunately the Classic Theme Restorer extension popped up almost immediately, and kept Firefox tolerable. But from what I've seen so far today, Pale Moon is even better.

Yeah, I can totally understand that. I wasn't a fan of some of the changes Australis brought to the UI either, specifically how it tied reload into the address bar (but I got used to it).

quote:

I don't know. As Firefox critics go, I'm pretty mild. I find things like Pocket and Hello pointless but harmless. The stock Firefox could easily win me back. I mostly just want configurable everything.

Configurable everything would certainly be nice, but I can see why Firefox's developers might consider it a nightmare to try to maintain the browser for every possible option and option combination.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Powered Descent posted:

, and my work machine also using a script I wrote myself to change the hideous colors on the internal company wiki).

I used to do this with user javascript, now I use the stylish extension. Maybe that could work for you too.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Is there any way for Firefox (on Windows 10) to automatically open up a tunnel and connect via SOCKS to my server?

Right now I do that manually by opening up a tunnel via Putty and then firing up Firefox, but my end goal is to put all of this on a pendrive or in the cloud and have a portable secure browser and ideally it would be double-click -> browse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

Is there any way for Firefox (on Windows 10) to automatically open up a tunnel and connect via SOCKS to my server?

Right now I do that manually by opening up a tunnel via Putty and then firing up Firefox, but my end goal is to put all of this on a pendrive or in the cloud and have a portable secure browser and ideally it would be double-click -> browse.

If you can configure PuTTY to connect automatically on open, you can probably do it with a batch file (or equivalent.)