Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

Tiggum posted:

Meaning is created not just by an individual text but by its context and the assumptions that the reader brings to it. An interpretation isn't invalid just because the reader made different assumptions or saw the text in a different context to you.

By that definition validity doesn't even mean anything. There is no longer a discernible difference between valid and invalid, so you may as well use different terminology. Validity implies a sound logical basis, and we accept logic based on whether it can be corroborated by other minds. In this English lit fantasy land, you should probably also accept that somebody who believes they need to drink fresh blood of children to survive is justified and logical despite having no evidence beyond their own minds to support their belief, and therefore it would be wrong to attempt to prevent them from chowing down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Jeza posted:

By that definition validity doesn't even mean anything. There is no longer a discernible difference between valid and invalid, so you may as well use different terminology. Validity implies a sound logical basis, and we accept logic based on whether it can be corroborated by other minds. In this English lit fantasy land, you should probably also accept that somebody who believes they need to drink fresh blood of children to survive is justified and logical despite having no evidence beyond their own minds to support their belief, and therefore it would be wrong to attempt to prevent them from chowing down.

Because you see, events in real life are exactly the same as a fictional narrative constructed to evoke feelings, present commentary on aspects of society, or otherwise convey an artistic message.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
why are you replying to tiggum you dumb shits

even if you grant the idea that no interpretation is invalid that doesn't mean they can't be useless and unproductive, like this stupid derail

quotes:

atomicthumbs posted:

voodoo5 5500 is neat. it's got two fans

Jonny 290 posted:

who's the other one

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Because you see, events in real life are exactly the same as a fictional narrative constructed to evoke feelings, present commentary on aspects of society, or otherwise convey an artistic message.

How is interpreting a text any different from interpreting an action? And even if you think it is in some way incomparable, it doesn't stop it being hypocritical not to apply the same argument. If you think every interpretation of art is equally valid, but every interpretation of human action is not then you are simply holding two contradictory positions.

Not to mention that in the "all interpretations are valid" camp, authorial intent is completely irrelevant, thus the fact that fiction is meant to convey any artistic message at all is meaningless, which makes the distinction between fiction and action even less clear.

Ozmiander posted:

You could say i love a dark horse.

ps pardon the glare, my lily white skin is usually protected by a thick layer of bramble and thatch.

Goon gets tattoo of an esports team after losing a bet on SA.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Tiggum posted:

Meaning is created not just by an individual text but by its context and the assumptions that the reader brings to it. An interpretation isn't invalid just because the reader made different assumptions or saw the text in a different context to you.

this is the kind of gross misrepresentation of crime statistics that always gets pushed to the front page of Imgur every so often but they never mention it came from Stormfront. I'm glad you had the guts to source it though

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
gently caress you all.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

aaand we're back. Let's post some quotes!

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Sham bam bamina! posted:

gently caress you all.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
From PYF Historical Fun Fact:

Mr. Flunchy posted:

Don't know if this is the right place to post, but seems like there's a bunch of historians in here. Anyway, was out camping on Dartmoor, England this weekend and spotted this strange rock on a secluded island in the middle of a stream. Layman's knowledge makes me think they're runes, but I have no idea how to translate it. Anyone read runic?

I've taken a bunch of photos, including an close-up panorama and did my best to transcribe it. Apologies for the relative crudity of the transcription, parts of the stone were covered in moss and I had to decide by touch.

Aphrodite posted:

I can't make out all of it, but the middle bit says "...if he be worthy..."

Mr. Flunchy posted:

Update: just discovered I can now yell loud enough to knock people over.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Sham bam bamina! posted:

gently caress you all.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

RanKizama posted:

It's OK to jerk off to anime titties

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

E1M1 posted:

Sorcerers are not a kind of wizard, they're primadonna assholes who get by on their natural talent and good looks while I had to spend decades at the academy reading books and not getting laid and, yes, sometimes I had sex with the books

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Kenny Logins posted:

From PYF Historical Fun Fact:

Did they transcribe them or not?

http://oglaf.com/booklove/ :nws:

Outrail has a new favorite as of 18:15 on Aug 8, 2016

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Outrail posted:

Did they transcribe them or not?
They haven't translated it... yet? It's only been up for several hours at this point.

E:

Mr. Flunchy posted:

I've got a rough translation now:

[illegible] THE GODS WILL [illegible]

[illegible] DEED OF EVIL SHUN [illegible]

[illegible] FORTITUDE [illegible]

Apparently it's more likely to be Celtic than Viking.

Edit: the 'celtic sprig' alphabet to be precise.

Kenny Logins has a new favorite as of 19:26 on Aug 8, 2016

plain blue jacket
Jan 13, 2014

IT DOESN'T STOP
IT NEVER STOPS

Enfield posted:

im essentially hairless and constantly crying

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

Sham bam bamina! posted:

gently caress you all.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
You unfunny twatwaffles are the reason these threads keep getting closed.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Hello goatse, my old friend
I seem to have clicked on you again
Because an anus somewhat distending
Left its horror, now I'm weeping
And the vision that was planted in my brain
Still remains
As I scream, only hearing the sound of silence

BOOTY-ADE posted:

Then this ivory anus beguiling my sad fancy into smiling,
By the grave and stern decorum of the countenance it wore,
“Though thy crest be stretched and widened, thou,” I said, “art sure no craven,
Ghastly red and gaping Goatse wandering from the Nightly shore—
Tell me what thy lordly name is on the Night’s Plutonian shore!”
Quoth the Goatse “Nevermore.”

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

WeAreTheRomans posted:

I do recall a comic where Magneto pulled the hemoglobin out of some schmucks blood, but I think they've toned that down now because that was just too ridiculous a power (and of course the iron in hemoglobin is non-ferromagnetic)

Light Gun Man posted:

Magnetism is kind of one of the major forces of the universe though so it's appropriate in that sense. An intelligent mutant with control of Gravity would be similarly very powerful too.

Comstar posted:

It makes me annoyed to think he dosn't use electricity in equal measure.

Nuebot posted:

He can but it makes him tired apparently. Presumably electricity is also Storm's thing and it's just unfair to steal her job.

BioEnchanted posted:

Storm: "Do you know what happens to a mutant who infringes my copyright?"
Magneto: "What?"
Storm: "Same thing that happens to everything else..."
*Her solicitor walks in to serve him*.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

KomodoWagon posted:

This loving bullshit is the worst. I went to see Neil Young in Amsterdam a couple months back, they had the same sort of system for beverages. You had to pay for "tokens" and could only buy them in fixed amounts, so unless you were getting like six beers you'd end up with leftover tokens aka wasted money. It's like a cam site except on those you can at least tip your remaining tokens and they might flash you a titty. I tried throwing mine up at the stage but Neil must have not noticed because his shirt stayed on and there was practically no fingering throughout the show.

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?

Karate Bastard posted:

You're supposed to paint it. It's masking tape. So paint goes up straight, with clean edges, and don't go where you didn't mean it to go. Then masking tape comes off. You inept motherfucker goddamn.

Oh there I go posting actual explanations and tips again. gently caress! Fuckity gently caress!

Karate Bastard posted:

Here. You paint the loving wall, in a color, and dry it out by applying time to the wall. You then affix the loving tape to the wall in disconcerting patterns with your flailing twig arms. Then you move the tape so it sits in the shapes you meant it to be with your epileptic lack of wit, iterating until running out of patience. See, if you had gone and painted on the shapes directly with your spastic mitts like you originally thought then your apartment would already at this point be looking like an impressionistic Dali interpretation in tweaker poo poo, but now it don't. Your welcome.

Then you paint in between the tape, in the same loving color, once more. This is not primarily because the loving paint goes on the tape, which it of course does because you should not be trusted with a brush in your own home, but because the loving paint also goes under the tape, because you are not a loving pro vacuseal tape monkey you only smell like one. At this point my sage advice has again kept you from adding any more runny diarrhea streaks to your décor, you betwerked nincompoop.

Now. Wait more. Because paint under tape dries slower than paint not under tape. You moron. Jesus.

NOW you paint again, in ANOTHER color, not the same one, but from the other can they gave you at the store when you asked for "matching colors" "to paint with". You remember you did that right? No? No, paint between the tapes again. Yes the same spots. Again. gently caress you.

NOW RIP THAT FUCKTAPE STRAIGHT OFF, BEFORE IT DRIES! Because if you don't you'll rip the top coat off along with it of course, and then all your patterns will look like a preschooler had a crayon fight to the death with a toddler in your shitter. NO DON'T PUT IT ON THE FLOOR oh great now you have shitstreaks on your flooring too. Yes, and on your face. Remember that you PULLED THE loving TAPE OFF WET??? NO??? REALLY????? GOD!

CLEARLY THIS IS BETTER THAN WALLPAPER

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

The benchmark of tedium assigned to "watching paint dry" may have to be reappraised.

plain blue jacket
Jan 13, 2014

IT DOESN'T STOP
IT NEVER STOPS

Who What Now posted:

The only bird emotion I understand is love for sausage.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

FlyinPingu posted:

what's so hard to comprehend about First Peoples being a good label for the native populations throughout the entire world

this is like when people got up in arms about the word cisgender

Telemaze posted:

Honestly I think most of the terms are fine. First Nations, Native American, American Indian, whatever. I usually call myself (capital-N) Native American and I've never had anyone, Native or not, think it's inappropriate. Except some goons I guess?

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Please explain to us more about the noble savage on somethinawfuldotcom forums.

Telemaze posted:

I actually am one of those "noble savages" you stupid gently caress.

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Sir, please use the term "First Peoples".

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

Telemaze posted:

Honestly I think most of the terms are fine. First Nations, Native American, American Indian, whatever. I usually call myself (capital-N) ...

This is where my brain just autoinserted "friend of the family" on the fly and stopped me from reading the rest.

I've been on here for too long.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Karate Bastard posted:

I've been on here for too long.

If you stopped, you still have far to fall.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Chichevache posted:

We need a way to identify gender and race through the internet. What do you propose, Telemaze?

Trig Discipline posted:

I think some sort of scanner that you press your genitals against would be a good start. If my iPad responds to my fingerprints, genitalprinting technology must be within our grasp.

Sinners Sandwich posted:

I'm 25, my pants are around my ankles and I am furiously trying to escape my phones lock screen by rubbing my cock furiously across the screen. After ten miniutes, an alert comes up informing me I may have testicular cancer

Solice Kirsk posted:

It's cold out and my phone doesn't recognize my junk. Half naked standing in the street screaming about not being able to log into Pokémon Go.

Roro posted:

You didn't.

The rare 6-up.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

You missed the best bit:

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Sir, please use the term "First Peoples".

Telemaze posted:

I'm a ma'am, not a sir. You're really bad at this, Bloody Hedgehog.

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Sir, you're getting hysterical.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

I'm not just gonna sit here and let people pretend Bloody Hedgehog is a good poster

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Why is Flying Pingu so angry all the time?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Hogge Wild posted:

why aren't you out rally driving with the rest of your countrymen

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Alaois posted:

I'm not just gonna sit here and let people pretend Bloody Hedgehog is a good poster

Even a broken clock shines out of a dogs rear end twice a day. Or something.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Alaois posted:

He's the one that thought "confirmed bachelor" meant being ultra-straight, right?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Kay Kessler posted:

He's the one that thought "confirmed bachelor" meant being ultra-straight, right?

*ed mcmahon voice* you are correct sir!

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

Hogge Wild posted:

I was just pointing out that people getting all worked up over the term "First Peoples" was dumb though, what made you think I was mad

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

FlyinPingu posted:

I was just pointing out that people getting all worked up over the term "First Peoples" was dumb though, what made you think I was mad
The part where you crossposted into this thread about how totally not mad you are.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

every poster on something awful is a bubbling pot of rage slowly boiling over, as evidenced by the fact that they Post In Threads

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
i've loving had it

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
i've had it up to here with every single last one of you poo poo heads

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
this is the worst thread on something awful and i want to stick it up my vagina, not in an erotic way but so it can be dissolved into nutrients and make me ever stronger, larger, swifter and more powerful in combat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Avshalom posted:

this is the worst thread on something awful and i want to stick it up my vagina, not in an erotic way but so it can be dissolved into nutrients and make me ever stronger, larger, swifter and more powerful in combat

Why would a poo poo thread improve your combat ability?