Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

SurgicalOntologist posted:

Probably supposed to be an iceberg metaphor.

That's now how icebergs work!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
I keep looking for a pattern of what goes IN the pyramid and what doesn't

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Maybe what's in the pyramid is... No...

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Acne Rain posted:

I keep looking for a pattern of what goes IN the pyramid and what doesn't

I'm guessing they had more ideas than space and decided to not resize anything.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

as a person who never leaves my house i've done pretty well for myself.

Acne Rain posted:

what is the triangle

(((das Juden)))

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

Platystemon posted:

(((das Juden)))

*die Juden

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Trap sprung.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Wait, racist jokes are worse than police killing poc's?

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Pick posted:

That's now how icebergs work!!!!

It is in my world.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
That question better be whites-only, I don't want to see you Expecting POC to Teach White People

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

MrUnderbridge posted:

Man tells a racist joke: man is an undeniable racist

Man kills POC: “Maybe they had it coming. :downs:

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

MrUnderbridge posted:

It's ordered by social acceptability. People are more likely to defend say the cops who killed Freddie Gray than some guy making an overtly racist joke.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

In my life, POC means "proof of concept". Hence, this graph confuses me.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Now THIS is what this thread is all about. :psyduck:

Is this intentionally bad, like that bar graph of primary election dates by state? Or is this an actual gem of data presentation found in the wild?

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

Wow, that is beautiful. I have horrid graphs like that buried as excel drafts in folders, and I know what they mean, but that poo poo is never seen by another human, let alone published.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

I noticed the nonsensical "year with highest/lowest fatalities" first. Then I noticed it shows a value for August this year which is obviously low. I thought I had seen the worst. THEN I noticed the right vertical axis goes below zero - and actually, both axes are showing the same measurement so why aren't they the same and AARGH

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

I think they shifted it so 2016 is higher up?

I find it interesting that apparently some car crashes (hearses maybe) can result in resurrection according the 2016 axis.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Apparently it was made to 'prove' that weed is bad.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Carbon dioxide posted:

Apparently it was made to 'prove' that weed is bad.

Well it must be if being high makes you produce a graph like that.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

that's that good poo poo right there

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

flosofl posted:

I think they shifted it so 2016 is higher up?
That and they stretched the 2016 axis. I've crudely drawn in what it would look like properly:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
^^^
That one is pretty amazing in how you discover all the atrocities in waves. Though really it's probably some poor gently caress forgetting to change the secondary axis, otherwise it would've been just bad in mostly unremarkable way (except for August).

Then there's this one, it seems that Fox News tactics are spreading in the wild:

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

mobby_6kl posted:

^^^
That one is pretty amazing in how you discover all the atrocities in waves. Though really it's probably some poor gently caress forgetting to change the secondary axis, otherwise it would've been just bad in mostly unremarkable way (except for August).
Its a poison graph even when 2016 is on the same axis because it is using min/max as comparative bounding instead of something like a confidence interval, you know, to actually try and prove a statistical point and not just go boy howdy those are some numbers huh.

Occultatio
Aug 4, 2005

a massive toolclown who cannot stop causing problems

Btw that graph is 100% real (pdf link)

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

mobby_6kl posted:

Then there's this one, it seems that Fox News tactics are spreading in the wild:

For context, the SABC is basically an ANC (ruling party) mouthpiece, denying it at every point even while buried in a very clear "make the government look good" censorship scandal.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

mobby_6kl posted:

^^^

(funnily enough, the former head of Campaigns for the Lib Dems was a MP for South Africa's Democratic Alliance. After presiding over the second worst major-party campaign in recent history last year (second only to Labour's in the same election), he then went to head the campaign to stay in the EU)

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente
Cross-posting from the DnD image thread...

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Broken img now. What was it?

jeebus bob posted:

That's just painful. If you have the bars to scale it makes the point so much more clearly and forcefully...

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Hyperlynx posted:

A long-ish flowchart, if I remember correctly. Meanwhile, take a look at this:

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Yeah we had that one before. It's pretty good.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

jeebus bob posted:

Cars are loving dangerous. I’m concerned that the ratio isn’t higher.

du -hast
Mar 12, 2003

BEHEAD THOSE WHO INSULT GENTOO

Platystemon posted:

[/quote]

I don't know that I believe that a car is a whole order of magnitude safer than an airplane.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

The airplane one is "11,000 times more likely to die in an airplane accident than from a terrorist plot involving an airplane", while the car one is "1048 times more likely to die in car accident than from a terrorist attack", so you shouldnt try and draw a car/plane comparison from the chart, its not comparing like with like.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

du -hast posted:

I don't know that I believe that a car is a whole order of magnitude safer than an airplane.

For some reason, the airplane one is using an entirely different metric, of how likely you are to die from a specifically airplane-related terrorist attack (of which I don't think there's been much).

Even then, I would believe that car crashes are safer than plane crashes, just because I'm pretty sure a single plane crash is gonna cause a lot more casualties than a single car crash.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Platystemon posted:

Maybe Nice skewed the numbers.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Cleretic posted:

For some reason, the airplane one is using an entirely different metric, of how likely you are to die from a specifically airplane-related terrorist attack (of which I don't think there's been much).

Even then, I would believe that car crashes are safer than plane crashes, just because I'm pretty sure a single plane crash is gonna cause a lot more casualties than a single car crash.

I think it might depend how you want to count it; By "car crashes are safer than plane crashes" do we mean "you are more likely to survive being in a car crash than survive being in a plane crash", do we mean "more people die in plane crashes than car crashes" or do we mean "a higher proportion of air travellers are killed in crashes than road travellers"? Because I'm fairly confident than not all of those statements are true although admittedly I havent checked the numbers.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

SiKboy posted:

I think it might depend how you want to count it; By "car crashes are safer than plane crashes" do we mean "you are more likely to survive being in a car crash than survive being in a plane crash", do we mean "more people die in plane crashes than car crashes" or do we mean "a higher proportion of air travellers are killed in crashes than road travellers"? Because I'm fairly confident than not all of those statements are true although admittedly I havent checked the numbers.

Planes win all of those handily except “assuming you are in a crash, how survivable is it?”. They also win per‐traveler‐mile.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Cleretic posted:

That's true. But car crashes are wildly more frequent than plane crashes. An individual car crash is less likely to be fatal, and the death count in a fatal car crash is naturally going to be much lower, but there are so so many orders of magnitude more car crashes than aviation crashes that, on aggregate, death by car crash is much, much more likely than death by plane crash.

Like, the grand total number of aviation "incidents" (crashes where the plane was removed from service) in the entire world in all of 2015 was 121. Fatality total: 898.

Compare this to the number of fatalities in car crashes just in Illinois in 2015: 998.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Hyperlynx posted: