Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Thanks, this seems to have done the trick for now. Had to hide the Quadro from the list too, it kept repeating an update every time I checked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

Sheep posted:

Reboot to safe mode with command prompt, net user username newpassword?

If you log on using Microsoft credentials then I dunno.

After several unsuccessful password entries and resets, it mysteriously started working again. Thanks for responding though.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

Icept posted:

Why does installing the Anniversary Update redo file associations to Microsoft apps, set Edge as the default browser and turn all the privacy settings to wide open? I'm just installing an update I'm not rethinking my setup here.

It reinstalled and reset Photos as my default photo application. I had to redo the registry keys to let me go back to Windows Photo Viewer, again.

It didn't change my privacy or Browser settings, though.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Sheep posted:

If you log on using Microsoft credentials then I dunno.

Never, ever do this. It's only a matter of time before it fucks up and it will gently caress up.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Last Chance posted:

Never, ever do this. It's only a matter of time before it fucks up and it will gently caress up.

Ok, paranoia man.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

FistEnergy posted:

Just finished the Windows 10 Anniversary Update and my password doesn't work anymore. I have work stuff on here that I need access to ASAP and I'm flipping out. Google isn't helping me. It's not caps lock or anything like that. Anyone?
I see that it already resolved itself, but are you by any chance using a non-US keyboard layout with the OS language set to US English?

Because I just had Windows decide that re-adding a US keyboard layout and making it the default was a prudent thing to do. Along with resetting my regional time/date/number settings. The non-24h clock tipped me off, or I'd be here asking why my password had randomly changed too.

Prior to the anniversary update though, which I'm doing now.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

fishmech posted:

Ok, paranoia man.
Having spent years occasionally finding a domain-bound and network-connected PC that's unable to log in while the others around it work fine, requiring a local login and unbind/rebind to resolve, I can't say I find it unreasonable to think the same sorts of problems could occur here.

That said my personal reason for not using a Microsoft account to log in is simpler, I use a much more secure password for my PC logins than I do for my Microsoft account and I don't want to change that.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Considering how often random Microsoft services break/die/whatever it's hard to find fault with people for being paranoid. Heck I remember not long ago the actual service that handled signing in to the service status dashboard for O365 was down. Not exactly confidence inspiring.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

fishmech posted:

Ok, paranoia man.

My friend was locked out of his Win 10 machine this way when it stopped accepting his password, and I experienced a similar thing on Apple's equivalent AppleID-tied-to-user account loving up.

I don't trust this sort of thing at all yet and it's a sheer nut-grinding pain in the rear end to fix it.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Except you can unplug/disconnect your computer from the network and still log into it fine.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

wolrah posted:

Having spent years occasionally finding a domain-bound and network-connected PC that's unable to log in while the others around it work fine, requiring a local login and unbind/rebind to resolve, I can't say I find it unreasonable to think the same sorts of problems could occur here.

Last Chance posted:

My friend was locked out of his Win 10 machine this way when it stopped accepting his password, and I experienced a similar thing on Apple's equivalent AppleID-tied-to-user account loving up.

I don't trust this sort of thing at all yet and it's a sheer nut-grinding pain in the rear end to fix it.

The Microsoft account login can be done without being connected to the network, so it's already also a local login. No idea how apple's system works but if you have an issue logging into a Microsoft Account win10 machine, and it's not because you're actually typing the wrong password, just disconnect the network.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
Or, you know, don't make a MS account in the first place. Are the benefits of having one that amazing (serious question, what do they give in exchange for making one)?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Volguus posted:

Or, you know, don't make a MS account in the first place. Are the benefits of having one that amazing (serious question, what do they give in exchange for making one)?

Seems pretty weird to have never ever made a Microsoft account in the past 20 years of Microsoft online services, honestly. You might as well ask "what do you get in exchange for a google account?" "what do you get in exchange for an apple account?". Every online service they do that interacts with a computer, obviously. You could sign into them all individually but what would be the point?

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

xamphear posted:

What should I be relying on?

In kinda-order of usefulness/competence:
1) A checksum posted elsewhere by the developer (quite a few do this)
2) Check the cert yourself
3) A checksum on the site you're getting it from that you think is legit (nebulous kinda)
4) Check your UAC prompt looks correct for the file you are running (verified publisher)
5) A virustotal scan to see if it's a new file / has been detected as malware/PUP/etc. Can also be a low-effort insight into the signing of the exe.

Some high-profile attacks have circumvented some or all of the above (and there are avenues all can be attacked depending on the breach scope), but it's much, much rarer than the usual which is a tampered/repackaged exe that'll get flagged at multiple points as being untrusted or different. Or some redirect / driveby download that looks like the file you're looking for.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Has the ability to set network adapter preference been removed in the anniversary update or is this just a bug?

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

fishmech posted:

Seems pretty weird to have never ever made a Microsoft account in the past 20 years of Microsoft online services, honestly. You might as well ask "what do you get in exchange for a google account?" "what do you get in exchange for an apple account?". Every online service they do that interacts with a computer, obviously. You could sign into them all individually but what would be the point?

Quite the contrary, I've lost track of all the accounts and migrations over the years. I could not even be bothered to find the details of my account, whatever they are calling it these days. Live, Windows Live ID, Passport, MSA and I'm sure I'm forgetting others.

His point though was about benefits of having one. Beyond some free storage you don't need, lovely email you don't want and having some profile/app info backed up there isn't really much of one. I use a local account because its simple and works just fine. Maybe one day that will change when I see some tangible benefits or they just force you to do so, I guess we'll see what happens. I don't use any other Windows devices at home and we already have a domain at work anyway.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Volguus posted:

you can tie your windows 10 license to a MS account to activate it on new hardware, so you don't need to buy a new copy just because you upgraded some stuff

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Klyith posted:

you can tie your windows 10 license to a MS account to activate it on new hardware, so you don't need to buy a new copy just because you upgraded some stuff

Can you?

Edit: :aaa:

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.

Thanks Ants posted:

Can you?

Edit: :aaa:
Yes. I did the W8 to W10 free upgrade around the time W10 launched and linked it to my Microsoft account then.

A few weeks later I upgraded my motherboard and activation was broken. There was no way in hell I was going to reinstall W8 again just for that so I used unofficial means to activate it.

With the anniversary update, it now recognizes that my Microsoft account has an official activation tied to it. Everything is good now.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Klyith posted:

Can multiple licenses be tied to the same account? I'm not sure how it would work, but I'd rather not have to create 3-4 Microsoft accounts to tie the various machines in the house to.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

anyone know how to remove the airplane mode button from the network icon popup?

im on desktop so im never going to need it

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

SourKraut posted:

Can multiple licenses be tied to the same account? I'm not sure how it would work, but I'd rather not have to create 3-4 Microsoft accounts to tie the various machines in the house to.

Yeah, they show up as separate devices.

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010

Klyith posted:

Does this require you to use your MS account password at the Windows login/unlock screen? My MS account (old Hotmail account) is random characters generated by KeePass, which isn't exactly feasible to type by hand every time I want to turn on my computer. How stupid would it be for this license feature to encourage people to put less secure passwords on their Microsoft accounts?

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Is anything needed to tie the W10 installs to your account, or does it just happen automatically with the anniversary update?

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Is anything needed to tie the W10 installs to your account, or does it just happen automatically with the anniversary update?

It's automatic

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

fishmech posted:

I have made at least 100 MS accounts over the years, for whenever I needed something that made me make one. I have no idea what the username is for any of them, and if the password is anything more than 1234 (and I'm sure they all made me do something more complicated ... 'cause security) I don't know it. Windows install to be tied though to one of those accounts ... ughh, I guess I'll do it if I get the upgrade when I'm changing the MB, but gently caress if I'm going to remember it for more than 5 minutes. As for google ... I made a gmail account that I still use. They gave me gmail in exchange for that. Fair trade-off in my opinion. I don't need nor want their hotmail stuff.

some dillweed
Mar 31, 2007

A good poster posted:

Does this require you to use your MS account password at the Windows login/unlock screen?
Yes. I have the same kind of password setup as you and it got annoying pretty quickly doing it that way. You can use a PIN instead, but if you ever reboot to Safe Mode then you need to input your full password. Personally, I'm just going to do the account linking before I make any hardware upgrades and then remove it again afterwards. It's a personal desktop and there aren't any physical security concerns here, so I don't see the point in having a password.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

A good poster posted:

Does this require you to use your MS account password at the Windows login/unlock screen? My MS account (old Hotmail account) is random characters generated by KeePass, which isn't exactly feasible to type by hand every time I want to turn on my computer. How stupid would it be for this license feature to encourage people to put less secure passwords on their Microsoft accounts?

I think this process will work:
1) create a new user from the computer management -> local users and groups
2) log into that user, tie it to the MS account, do the windows license tie-in from there
3) go back to your normal user, go back to local users & groups, go to the dummy account's properties and click the "disable" box so that it doesn't even bother you by showing up on the login screen

I say think because I'm pretty sure it will work and plan to do those exact things myself, but haven't taken the time yet to get it done.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Volguus posted:

I have made at least 100 MS accounts over the years, for whenever I needed something that made me make one. I have no idea what the username is for any of them, and if the password is anything more than 1234 (and I'm sure they all made me do something more complicated ... 'cause security) I don't know it. Windows install to be tied though to one of those accounts ... ughh, I guess I'll do it if I get the upgrade when I'm changing the MB, but gently caress if I'm going to remember it for more than 5 minutes.

So do you make a new something awful account every time you need to log in, or, what?

Also why do you not need to make a new google account every time you log in if you forget your credentials every five minutes.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Unlike SA, MS has like a bajillion different accounts at different points in time that are mostly their own things. So you've had MSN, hotmail, Live, MSDN, xbox, bing, outlook, whatever the Win10 one is, and anything else they came up with only to abandon a year later.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

mobby_6kl posted:

Unlike SA, MS has like a bajillion different accounts at different points in time that are mostly their own things. So you've had MSN, hotmail, Live, MSDN, xbox, bing, outlook, whatever the Win10 one is, and anything else they came up with only to abandon a year later.

Those are all literally the same account.

wolrah posted:

That said my personal reason for not using a Microsoft account to log in is simpler, I use a much more secure password for my PC logins than I do for my Microsoft account and I don't want to change that.

You know you can use secure passwords for your Microsoft account , right? :psyduck: Why would you use a less secure password on something that can be accessed from literally anywhere?

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

The whole point of Live is to roll those into one. Bing, Xbox, Outlook, Windows, OneDrive, MSDN, etc all work off a single Live login now.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I finally got the Anniversary Update to work - I unplugged the USB dongle for my wirelesss keyboard and that was the culprit

So if you get stuck in a boot loop, unplug your USB devices before starting the update

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

So do you make a new something awful account every time you need to log in, or, what?

Also why do you not need to make a new google account every time you log in if you forget your credentials every five minutes.

The MS accounts I made were all throwaway accounts, accounts to which I forgot the credentials 5 minutes after creation, accounts that I never ever had the intention of actually using ever. The email address used for them was a xvknp.com or mailinator.com email, which was read once, clicked the link and never again to be seen.

My gmail account or SA account do happen to not be throwaway accounts and are accounts that I'd like to use more than once. Since MS never seemed to provide anything remotely worth making an account for (and keeping it), I never made one. This is why I asked in the first place, maybe I missed something, and indeed I did since now apparently that account can provide that hardware authentication as well. How important is that to me and is it important enough to make a MS account ... still to be determined.

Do you make a facebook account whenever some lovely website wants you to? And keep it and use it? I don't (keep it and use it). Making an account is a 5 minutes thing on most websites, therefore making 100 of them to be thrown away is perfectly fine. And yes, I do provide fake names on them.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Stexils posted:

anyone know how to remove the airplane mode button from the network icon popup?

im on desktop so im never going to need it

Next thing you'll be wanting them to remove the other UI elements that only make sense for tablets :rolleyes:

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Volguus posted:

Do you make a facebook account whenever some lovely website wants you to? And keep it and use it? I don't (keep it and use it). Making an account is a 5 minutes thing on most websites, therefore making 100 of them to be thrown away is perfectly fine. And yes, I do provide fake names on them.

What? Nobody does this you maniac. Just make one account and keep it. It you forget the password, do a reset, which is quicker than re-registering.

And who goes through a million burner accounts with fake names for everything, then sets up a loving Google account of all things? :psyduck:

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Volguus posted:

Something is wrong with your brain dude.

You make a one burner account for whatever service(s) you're going to use. I fake FB, 1 fake MS, 1 fake Google account... and then use that those instead of making 100s of separate accounts.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

And who goes through a million burner accounts with fake names for everything, then sets up a loving Google account of all things? :psyduck:

Because google will remember you making those accounts for you. :v:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Kazy posted:

Those are all literally the same account.

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

The whole point of Live is to roll those into one. Bing, Xbox, Outlook, Windows, OneDrive, MSDN, etc all work off a single Live login now.
Also forgot Skype lol. And yeah I guess they're all the same with Live, but I don't think this used to be the case before, when I was using MS stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I wasn't paying attention and Windows updated to the new anniversary edition without telling me and now Dark Souls 1 won't start at all. It just freezes and has to be killed. I was playing it the night before the update started (with a DS4 that apparently now no longer works either).

Anyway I already tried updating the AMD graphics driver (already newest version, it says) and other than that I have no ideas. Anyone else having problems getting Dark Souls or other Steam games to start?

Also my computer boots into Linux by default and the Windows 10 update process restarts the PC like 15 times. Every five minutes I looked up and I was sitting at an Ubuntu desktop. What an annoyance. I swear that Windows used to be able to restart itself without going through the POST screen and boot menu, but maybe I'm mistaken.