Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
What is Olympic Wrestling?
There are two styles of wrestling in the Olympics, Freestyle and Greco-Roman. Freestyle is somewhat comparable to Folkstyle (which is what we wrestle in high schools and colleges in the USA) as far as techniques used, but is focused on exposing your opponent's back to the mat vs. controlling your opponent overall like you see in Folk. Greco-Roman is focused purely on upper body and as a result is primarily comprised of throws and body locks. The women wrestle only in Freestyle while the men compete in both Freestyle and Greco-Roman.

Matches consist of two three minute periods with a 30 second break in between. A match can end early from either a pin or from a technical superiority victory (basically a mercy rule that takes effect if you're up by 8 or more in Greco-Roman and 10 or more in Freestyle)

How does scoring work in Wrestling?
Pin: A pin (also called a fall) is awarded if you touch both of your opponents shoulder blades to the mat. A pin in both Olympic styles only requires them to touch, even just rolling through is enough. A pin ends the match.
Takedown: A takedown is worth 2-4 points in Freestyle and 2-5 points in Greco-Roman depending on how high amplitude it was. Basically if you knock the other guy over you get 2 points. If you take him airborne you get 4 or 5.
Reversal: A reversal is worth 1 point
Passivity: A passivity (stalling) call is worth 1 point for your opponent.
Exposure: Exposing your opponents back to the mat is worth 2 points
Step-out: Pretending you're in Sumo and pushing your opponent out of bounds is worth 1 point. A lot of people love this rule for some reason but I'm not a fan, I'd rather see them do out of bounds like Judo does, where going out of bounds as part of normal action isn't penalized, but fleeing the mat is.

1 point is also awarded to your opponent if you take a non-blood injury time or if your coach challenges a score and the initial decision is upheld. Here's a link to the rulebook (.pdf) if you want to know more. Scoring rules are on pages 29 & 30.

What is the schedule?
Sunday, August 14th: Greco-Roman -59kg, Greco-Roman -75kg
Monday, August 15th: Greco-Roman -85kg, Greco-Roman -130kg
Tuesday, August 16th: Greco-Roman -66kg, Greco-Roman -98kg
Wednesday, August 17th: Women's Freestyle -48kg, Women's Freestyle -58kg. Women's Freestyle -69kg
Thursday, August 18th: Women's Freestyle -53kg, Women's Freestyle -63kg. Women's Freestyle -75kg
Friday, August 19th: Men's Freestyle -57kg. Men's Freestyle -74kg
Saturday, August 20th: Men's Freestyle -86kg, Men's Freestyle -125kg
Sunday, August 21st: Men's Freestyle -65kg, Men's Freestyle -97kg

Why should I watch?

Who from the USA will be competing?
-57gk Men's Freestyle: Daniel Dennis
@DanielDennisUSA

Despite being a Hawkeye, Daniel Dennis is actually a pretty chill and cool dude who took a few years after college to basically be a hobo living out of a truck in the mountains before eventually coming back to Iowa City and train. Plus he stole the Olympic dream away from noted shithead and petty schoolyard bully Tony Ramos. And Ramos's meltdown afterword was both predictable and hilarious. So I'm down with Daniel Dennis.

-65kg Men's Freestyle: Frank Molinaro
@Gorillahulk_149

Molinaro won the Olympic Trials but the USA wasn't qualified at -65kg so had to attend a last chance qualifier in Asia to try to earn a spot. He finished one win short of qualifying and looked like he'd be spending August at home. However, due to some wrestlers failing post-competition drug tests there was a cascade effect that ended with Molinaro earning the last spot for Rio.

-74kg Men's Freestyle: Jordan Burroughs
@alliseeisgold

A 2012 Olympic Gold medalist who is a heavy favorite to repeat in Rio. Burroughs has a legendary double leg attack and simply does not lose matches.

-86kg Men's Freestyle: J'Den Cox
@SuperstarW14T

A two time national champion for the University of Missouri at 197 pounds, J'Den Cox still has a year of eligibility left to go for a third title after the Olympics are finished. His presence here is a little surprising since this weight had two superstars - Kyle Dake and David Taylor who moved up from -74kg to avoid Burroughs. However, once winning the Trials he's done very well on the international stage and brings a top ten ranking in to the Olympics.

-97kg Men's Freestyle: Kyle Snyder
@Snyder_man45

The second Team USA member who is still in college, Snyder was a national champion at Heavyweight for Ohio State this last year. He was a World Champion at this weight in 2015 and this last year wrestled a mix of international level Freestyle tournaments and collegiate Folkstyle for OSU. This is a tough and deep weight class so it'll be tough for Snyder to repeat but if he's able to do so he'll cement himself as a top guy for years to come.

-125kg Men's Freestyle: Tervel Dlagnev
@TervelDlagnev

The only member of the freestyle team who didn't come up through the college ranks. Dlagnev is a Bulgarian immigrant who took 5th in London.

-59kg Greco-Roman: Jesse Thielke
@thielke_smooth

Another wrestler who head to earn himself a trip to Rio via one of the last chance tournaments after winning the Trials this spring. This is his first Olympics.

-75kg Greco-Roman: Andy Bisek
@Biseks_Stache

-85kg Greco-Roman: Ben Provisor
@b_provisor74

The only member of the 2012 Greco-Roman team that's back for 2016

-130kg Greco-Roman: Robby Smith
@rtdsmith

This man is an inspiration to Goons everywhere.

-48kg Women's Freestyle: Haley Augello
@hayaugello

Stuck behind world champion Helen Maroulis at 53kg, Haley dropped down to 48kg recently to secure an Olympic spot.

-53kg Women's Freestyle: Helen Maroulis
@helen_maroulis

A world champion at the non-olympic weight of 55kg, Maroulis has a great chance to medal at her first Olympics.

-63kg Women's Freestyle: Elana Pirozhkova
@e_pirozhkova

Pirozhkova will be looking for redemption after getting upset in the first round in 2012.

-75kg Women's Freestyle: Adaline Gray
@AdelineGray

A 3 time world champion and the face of women's wrestling in the USA (she was recently featured in ESPN's Body Issue). Gray is the heavy favorite to gold in Rio.

That looks fun, can I start wrestling?
Honestly probably not. If you're older than a high school student there really aren't clubs that take beginners. Plus the conditioning required means it isn't something easy to do as an occasional hobby. But not all hope is lost! A lot of BJJ schools offer no-gi BJJ, which is closely related to wrestling, and they are happy to take on adult beginners. If you like wearing pajamas you could also consider Judo or BJJ as an option to get your hug on. There's an active grappling thread in Rowdy Ringsports that you can stop by now or after the games if you have questions or want some advice in finding a club.

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Aug 9, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

You're doing good work. Really looking forward to freestyle.

Thoguh posted:

That looks fun, can I start wrestling?
Honestly probably not. If you're older than a high school student there really aren't clubs that take beginners. Plus the conditioning required means it isn't something easy to do as an occasional hobby. But not all hope is lost! A lot of BJJ schools offer no-gi BJJ, which is closely related to wrestling, and they are happy to take on adult beginners. If you like wearing pajamas you could also consider Judo or BJJ as an option to get your hug on. There's an active grappling thread in Rowdy Ringsports that you can stop by now or after the games if you have questions or want some advice in finding a club.
If you're geeky as all hell, you can also look into your local Historical European Martial Arts scene, since medieval wrestling ("ringen", even though that's just German for "wrestling") has been getting popular lately. :hist101: (It's just yet another jacket style, tho.)

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Let's go J'Den :toot:

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Bluedeanie posted:

Let's go J'Den :toot:

As a Mizzou grad, I can confirm that he indeed owns.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Thoguh posted:

@Biseks_Stache

This photo was taken at the 1976 Montreal games and I will not hear different.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
FYI, Olympic Silver Medalist, MMA Fighter, Bathing Unenthusiast, and US Greco Roman National Team Head Coach Matt Lindland is doing a weekly summary of what's going on with the team on 5pointmove.com - http://www.fivepointmove.com/usa-greco/coach-lindlands-weekly-report-rio-special-edition-part/

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I feel a little bad for Tony Ramos, but it's always nice to see an Iowa Hawkeye in the olympics regardless. Burroughs, Cox, and Snyder are all pretty dope as well.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

Might be worth mentioning for casual watchers that wrestling had a bit of an Olympic scare few years back, when the IOC was looking at sports to be included in the 2020 Tokyo olympics and chose to drop wrestling from the "core" list of sports. Given that it's been around since the first modern Olympics and as a sport has history going back to the ancient ones, this was a bit of shock at least in a country like Finland here, where we still look fondly back at pretty good wrestling history and still have several medal hopefuls up in Rio.

I got the impression that this forced FILA, the body governing the international wrestling into some necessary introspection, and pretty big rules changes were introduced. Honestly, my impression is that the rules definitely improved for the most part, with some pretty convoluted poo poo that had been introduced along the years straight up cut out. Probably for a casual observer the wrestling under the current rules is much easier and logical to follow.

Wrestling will be up at 2020, beyond that there's no idea yet.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Lunsku posted:

Might be worth mentioning for casual watchers that wrestling had a bit of an Olympic scare few years back, when the IOC was looking at sports to be included in the 2020 Tokyo olympics and chose to drop wrestling from the "core" list of sports. Given that it's been around since the first modern Olympics and as a sport has history going back to the ancient ones, this was a bit of shock at least in a country like Finland here, where we still look fondly back at pretty good wrestling history and still have several medal hopefuls up in Rio.

I got the impression that this forced FILA, the body governing the international wrestling into some necessary introspection, and pretty big rules changes were introduced. Honestly, my impression is that the rules definitely improved for the most part, with some pretty convoluted poo poo that had been introduced along the years straight up cut out. Probably for a casual observer the wrestling under the current rules is much easier and logical to follow.

This also saw the somewhat odd alliance of the US, Iran and Russia (ALEXANDER KARELIN NEVER 5GET) all uniting together to save wrestling at the Olympics.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Lunsku posted:

I remember that the entire state of Iowa got up in arms when this was announced. I didn't know about the context (the FILA stuff) at the time, I just knew that they wanted to get rid of wrestling and keep Taekwondo which would have been really dumb.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Troy Queef posted:

This also saw the somewhat odd alliance of the US, Iran and Russia (ALEXANDER KARELIN NEVER 5GET) all uniting together to save wrestling at the Olympics.

God that sounds so goddamn bizarre

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

There is no God but Karelin and Burroughs is his prophet.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
IOC situation as I understand it:

-Wrestling was never given protected status, which would mean that it could possibly be dropped.
-IOC committee recommended wrestling be dropped from 2020 onwards in order to accommodate a new event.
-IOC then short listed wrestling among the events to be added from 2020 onwards.
-IOC then voted for wrestling to be included from 2020 onwards.

Changes that FILA made in response:

-Elected a new president and changed name from FILA to United World Wrestling.
-Adjust weight classes to have as many in womens FS as mens FS and GR.
-Switched to cumulative scoring rather than round by round.
-Best 2 of 3 rounds became 2 x 3 minute rounds.
-Par terre and ball-grab tie breaks are now gone.
-New mat colours and some minor changes to uniforms.

The scoring and the rules changed a little in the mean time:
-Takedown with control is now 2 points.
-Throw (from feet to danger) is 4 points.
-Out of bounds is still 1 point with some adjustments to how it is awarded to encourage more 'meaningful' action.
-2 points for a turnover/put opponent into danger on the ground with some adjustments for defending wrestler going on outstretched arms or attacking wrestling going into danger themselves.
-No more 1 point for holding in danger for a count.
-Some adjustments so that defensive actions are worth less than same action done in offense (i.e. putting opponent into danger from feet is only 2 points as a defensive/counter action, but 4 points if done offensively as a throw).
-10 points for superiority in FS, 8 points for GR.
-FS has a mandatory scoring period after 2 mins of no score. Ref nominates less active wrestler and if no one score in the next minute they concede a point to their opponent.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Didn't they use the drama surrounding wrestling to sneak some super aristocratic sport like dressage or something in to protected status as well?

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

Thoguh posted:

Didn't they use the drama surrounding wrestling to sneak some super aristocratic sport like dressage or something in to protected status as well?

Modern Pentathlon I believe

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

ch3cooh posted:

Which IIRC only got saved because Juan Antonio Samaranch's kid is a bigwig in that sport's federation

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

ch3cooh posted:

And first return on a google search for "Modern Pentathlon" is...

Super aristocratic status checks out.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
Pentathlon is a slav sport.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

if you read about pentathlon before watching it, it sounds like such a badass sport. "You are a soldier caught behind enemy lines. Get back to your buddies," Sounds like a great concept, but then you see the pictures...

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I actually new a fringe Olympic-level Modern Pentathlete. She didn't understand why people thought her sport was stupid :sigh:

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
When's the table match?

:thejoke:

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Greco starts tomorrow!

No one cares about Greco except for highlights of high amplitude throws

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
https://twitter.com/richard_immel/status/764487086141534208

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Well, they have spare 'not doing performance enhancing dugs' time as of recently. Might as well spend it on arts and crafts.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
@Biseks_Stache

I poo poo talk Greco but everyone should still watch the stach throw some fools in the morning.

Miching Mallecho
May 24, 2010

:yeshaha:
Holy poo poo Shinobu ota came back from behind to beat the Iranian and pushed him off the mat and into the scoreboard screen. :lol: Ota just wanted it more.

nervana
Dec 9, 2010
Korean media furious because apparently we got robbed by the Russians. Did anybody here watch it?

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

nervana posted:

Korean media furious because apparently we got robbed by the Russians. Did anybody here watch it?

I missed it.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
So did they just put a canvas out over the Judo tatami? Because that's what it looks like.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
The mat b announcer is Scottish as gently caress.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."

nervana posted:

I saw it. Korean guy threw the russian and got 2 points when he was down 6-2. Te korean coaches lost it and started throwing stuff on the mat, ran out there, yelling and screaming. Got a bunch of yellow cards. Then there was like a review and somehow the score became 7-6. It was bizarre, no commentary and I know poo poo all about wrestling. But the koreans were PISSED. Russian guy also looked totally out of it.

Miching Mallecho
May 24, 2010

The Koreans were right to be pissed. I don't get how they give a point to the Russian. That was a four pointer.

Andy bisek is wrestling on mat B. Josh thielke is hoping for repechage

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Scottish guy making fun of the sweat mapper on mat b is great.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Stach needs to score though.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
I even like wrestling and still think Greco is stupid. Cut it and put the weight classes back for Free.

Miching Mallecho
May 24, 2010

Oh poo poo. Ota pins him. Thielke's hope is gone.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Greco 'push at each other to try and get an underhook but let's be honest no one is going to get an underhook so eventually the ref gets bored and randomly picks somebody to lie down' Roman.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Miching Mallecho posted:

Oh poo poo. Ota pins him. Thielke's hope is gone.

:smith:

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Is there an ippon.org equivalent for wrestling? I can't find the brackets anywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miching Mallecho
May 24, 2010

http://arena.flowrestling.org/event/794-olympic-games

Floarena has them. I haven't checked trackwrestling but they usually have brackets and live scoring going on, I used them for worlds

Edit: mat a has the Croatian vs Russian. Need the Croatian to win for Bisek to have a shot at a bronze. It's the Russian up 4-0 at 1:47 at this time.

• Locked thread