Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
I never expect the FAA to be ahead of anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

The Ferret King posted:

I never expect a government to be ahead of anything.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I've said it before and I'll say it again: I am always shocked when I see a new Colin Furze video and he still has both his eyes.

Wear some loving safety glasses! Put on a helmet! Quit wearing a tie in the machine shop!

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

freelop posted:

The Airlander 10 is finally out of it's hanger doing some ground tests before a flight

It lurks

Thought it'd be bigger really

I really like that the hangers are the same ones that R100 and R101 were built.

rear end

Asssssss

I dig the little rocket-shaped vanes the engine ducts have

freshmeat.popsicle
Dec 25, 2011
idk if this would be considered a shitpost or not (doing it anyway probably doesn't help) but I just got my A&P and started working at Cessna Citation Service Center in Sacramento, CA. this week.

Any advice after I finish in-processing and start breaking poo poo?

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

freshmeat.popsicle posted:

idk if this would be considered a shitpost or not (doing it anyway probably doesn't help) but I just got my A&P and started working at Cessna Citation Service Center in Sacramento, CA. this week.

Any advice after I finish in-processing and start breaking poo poo?

Use the manuals. Always, without fail. Have a reference available for even the simplest of tasks, and don't ever let anyone pressure you into doing something without it. "There's never time to do it right, but there's always time to do it twice" is a measurable metric in aviation.

Don't be afraid to specialize (sheet metal, powerplants, avionics, whatever) if something tickles your fancy in particular, but learn as much as you can about everything else too. It'll make you a better mechanic, and can open a lot more doors for you in the future if you decide it's time for new employer.

Try not to get jaded too soon. That's probably the hardest part in this line of work. :)

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
That's not a shitpost, it is in fact very cool. We expect pictures from now on, though :v:

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Don't count on many, if any pictures...lots of shops have strict FOD regulations, and cameras (even phones sometimes) fall afoul unless they are being used expressly for work.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

MrChips posted:

Don't count on many, if any pictures...lots of shops have strict FOD regulations, and cameras (even phones sometimes) fall afoul unless they are being used expressly for work.

It's less that and more "I could probably get fired for posting this online".
All it takes is for some jobsworth in the Internet dirt digging department to put two and two together and you'd be out on your rear end. Pretty picture of planes on the ramp that could be taken by anyone? Sure. This is what happens when you don't torque a feeder cable properly? Read about it on AV herald.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

MrChips posted:

Hence the :v:

Don't actually do anything that would endanger your employment, obviously.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Vitamin J posted:

Seriously though, I hope the FAA is paying attention. They totally got surprised by drones, had no infrastructure in place to deal with them, came out with a half-assed set of rules 10 years late, etc.

I bet easily within the next 10 years people will be building home made flying contraptions and flying themselves to work. If the FAA isn't gearing up for this, it could be a huge headache. The FAA has jurisdiction over all manned (and now, unmanned) flight, but when the time comes where a guy can whip something up in their garage with DIY components and fly to work it's going to be hard to keep that cat in the bag.

OH BOY I CAN'T WAIT TO SHARE THE BIKE LANE WITH GIANT FLYING MACHETE MACHINES

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Vitamin J posted:

Seriously though, I hope the FAA is paying attention. They totally got surprised by drones, had no infrastructure in place to deal with them, came out with a half-assed set of rules 10 years late, etc.

I bet easily within the next 10 years people will be building home made flying contraptions and flying themselves to work. If the FAA isn't gearing up for this, it could be a huge headache. The FAA has jurisdiction over all manned (and now, unmanned) flight, but when the time comes where a guy can whip something up in their garage with DIY components and fly to work it's going to be hard to keep that cat in the bag.

People can already whip something up in their garage that drives on roads, and state departments of transportation seem to have a pretty good handle on that.

R-Type
Oct 10, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Safety Dance posted:

People can already whip something up in their garage that drives on roads, and state departments of transportation seem to have a pretty good handle on that.

Yeah. As shamefully expensive as high-performance plane kit building is vs something you can build from a car kit maker like Factory Five, and the current sad state of employment and economy, I don't forsee a new revolution in home made flying contraptions other than maybe some dumb rear end drones.

Vitamin J
Aug 16, 2006

God, just tell me to shut up already. I have a clear anti-domestic bias and a lack of facts.

Safety Dance posted:

Well, you said it yourself; the states have a pretty good handle, but no governing body has jurisdiction over the airways in the US except the FAA. They claim jurisdiction from the top of a blade of grass to orbit. I forsee it getting very messy. Take for example when people start building hover bikes for fun. That's gotta be the first sector that will develop. These hover bike things that only fly for 10 minutes maybe and only 10-20 feet off the ground maximum. People will build them and fly them over their property or open space for fun like an ATV or dirtbike. The FAA will ignore them. One day someone will ride their hover bike to work or somewhere else. It will obviously be interacting with traffic on the roads or sidewalks, but it's flying, maybe even flying over the tops of cars. It's not a road vehicle so how can it be bound by road laws? They will get pulled over or visited at home and then the debate over jurisdiction, definitions, and rights will begin. This is already what happened with drones; states, local governments, cities, and private land owners want to ban drones from flying around but only the FAA has authority to do that. It just leads to police either standing around watching, or the eventual ticket getting thrown out of court and making other people more bold with their drone flying.

And back to the comparison, even today with our license plate reading cameras, meter maids, patrolling police, emissions testing, registration processes, drivers licensing, etc. there is still a large percentage of drivers out there driving tens of thousands of combined miles a day who don't have insurance, don't have a license, driving an unregistered vehicle, driving an unsafe vehicle, drunk, etc etc and getting away with it.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Vitamin J posted:

And back to the comparison, even today with our license plate reading cameras, meter maids, patrolling police, emissions testing, registration processes, drivers licensing, etc. there is still a large percentage of drivers out there driving tens of thousands of combined miles a day who don't have insurance, don't have a license, driving an unregistered vehicle, driving an unsafe vehicle, drunk, etc etc and getting away with it.

I unironically look forward to the ceaseless aluminum rain as hundreds of poorly-maintained vehicles and terrible pilots plummet from the skies daily and I can but hope that the innocent deaths are far outnumbered by those whose fate was brought on by their own hand.

Flappy Bert
Dec 11, 2011

I have seen the light, and it is a string

Vitamin J posted:

Well, you said it yourself; the states have a pretty good handle, but no governing body has jurisdiction over the airways in the US except the FAA. They claim jurisdiction from the top of a blade of grass to orbit.

Serious question: is there any altitude over American soil when you don't have any obligations to the FAA for flight plans etc or is it basically "high enough that they can't stop you"?

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Vitamin J posted:

Well, you said it yourself; the states have a pretty good handle, but no governing body has jurisdiction over the airways in the US except the FAA. They claim jurisdiction from the top of a blade of grass to orbit. I forsee it getting very messy. Take for example when people start building hover bikes for fun. That's gotta be the first sector that will develop. These hover bike things that only fly for 10 minutes maybe and only 10-20 feet off the ground maximum. People will build them and fly them over their property or open space for fun like an ATV or dirtbike. The FAA will ignore them. One day someone will ride their hover bike to work or somewhere else. It will obviously be interacting with traffic on the roads or sidewalks, but it's flying, maybe even flying over the tops of cars. It's not a road vehicle so how can it be bound by road laws? They will get pulled over or visited at home and then the debate over jurisdiction, definitions, and rights will begin. This is already what happened with drones; states, local governments, cities, and private land owners want to ban drones from flying around but only the FAA has authority to do that. It just leads to police either standing around watching, or the eventual ticket getting thrown out of court and making other people more bold with their drone flying.

Given the amount of air those things channel out of the ducts I think they'd get shot down by irate drivers before the FAA even had a chance to do anything. I don't think anyone wants to be run over by a hovercraft.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous
Edit: wrong thread...

vessbot fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Aug 11, 2016

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

IXIX posted:

Serious question: is there any altitude over American soil when you don't have any obligations to the FAA for flight plans etc or is it basically "high enough that they can't stop you"?

Class A tops out at FL600, so above 60,000 (ish) ft it's uncontrolled airspace, more or less the same as if you were bebopping along in Class G in your bug-smasher.

Of course in order to get up there (and assuming you want to come back to the ground) you'll have to fly through Class A, which means you'd still need a flight plan of some sort

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The real problem with being above 60k ft is you crash the ATC software :v:

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

R-Type posted:

Yeah. As shamefully expensive as high-performance plane kit building is vs something you can build from a car kit maker like Factory Five, and the current sad state of employment and economy, I don't forsee a new revolution in home made flying contraptions other than maybe some dumb rear end drones.

I agree with your conclusion but what country are you in? Since were mostly talking about the US here, America's economy has v low unemployment rn, about 5% according to this: http://www.tradingeconomics.com/united-states/indicators

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

I don't know what the laws are like in the US, but in Canada I think the "you may not takeoff or land an aircraft in a built-up area except at a registered aerodrome" is going to cover most things pretty nicely.

We already have reasonably tight controls on drones, theoretically speaking. Enforcement is the most difficult thing, but that will change as soon as we're talking about something that's large enough to actually carry a human and is actually practical enough to be used for transportation.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

CarForumPoster posted:

I agree with your conclusion but what country are you in? Since were mostly talking about the US here, America's economy has v low unemployment rn, about 5% according to this: http://www.tradingeconomics.com/united-states/indicators

yeah the US economy is chugging along really well, problem is nobody believes it.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Linedance posted:

yeah the US economy is chugging along really well, problem is nobody believes it.

Also wages are low and stagnant

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Fayez Butts posted:

Also wages are low and stagnant

yeah but it's been like that for well over a decade at least.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Linedance posted:

I do, it seems like people are hiring engineers like crazy.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

CarForumPoster posted:

That number is artificially low, if you count the decrease in Labour Participation Rate it's probably 2-3 percent higher. And although there have been significant gains in GDP, those gains have not led to wage increases exceeding inflation, so there's less consumer spending, which for a service and tech based economy, is non-ideal.

Linedance posted:

yeah but it's been like that for well over a decade at least.

More like 3 decades. Probably the biggest structural problem in the US economy, and it's persistence is hardly a mitigating factor.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

PittTheElder posted:

That number is artificially low, if you count the decrease in Labour Participation Rate it's probably 2-3 percent higher. And although there have been significant gains in GDP, those gains have not led to wage increases exceeding inflation, so there's less consumer spending, which for a service and tech based economy, is non-ideal.

More like 3 decades. Probably the biggest structural problem in the US economy, and it's persistence is hardly a mitigating factor.

I think most western economies are in a similar state. The US seems to be the only one that's growing despite this.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

iyaayas01 posted:

Class A tops out at FL600, so above 60,000 (ish) ft it's uncontrolled airspace, more or less the same as if you were bebopping along in Class G in your bug-smasher.

Of course in order to get up there (and assuming you want to come back to the ground) you'll have to fly through Class A, which means you'd still need a flight plan of some sort

I thought it became Class E once Class A topped out? I can't think of many non-NASA civilian pilots that would have much use for this information though. Maybe Paul Allen in his MiG-29?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
^Good loving luck operating a MiG-29 at that altitude. Wikipedia be damned, most jet engines just don't like it.

hobbesmaster posted:

The real problem with being above 60k ft is you crash the ATC software :v:

:lol: I knew exactly what it was going to say but I'm still amazed the system was designed like that.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

StandardVC10 posted:

I thought it became Class E once Class A topped out? I can't think of many non-NASA civilian pilots that would have much use for this information though. Maybe Paul Allen in his MiG-29?

whoops you're right, brain farted on that one

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
F-4s :getin:

My historical cosplaying started early with this cold war impression.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

IXIX posted:

Class G is completely uncontrolled, and includes most everything surface to 1200' AGL, and up to 14,500msl, when there is no other airspace classification. Class G above 1200' AGL is extremely scarce east of the Mississippi.

Class E is controlled, but you're under absolutely no legal obligation to file any kind of flight plan, talk to anyone, or tell anyone you're flying around in it. Class E extends from 1200' AGL to 17999' MSL, though there are areas where it extends to 700' AGL or even all the way down to the surface (to protect for certain types of approaches.) Class E also extends from FL601 to infinity, but again, there are vanishingly few civilian airplanes capable of making it up there, and you'll have to file a flight plan and talk to ATC to get through class A. (FL180-FL600.) Class D is tower airspace, and class C and B is terminal radar control airspace, where you are required to be talking to ATC at a minimum, though you still don't need to file a flight plan, if you're operating VFR.

All in all, the vast majority of airspace below FL180 by volume in the United States is available to someone that wants to go drill holes in the sky without talking to anyone. Also, depending on where exactly we're talking about, the fact that you have no legal obligation to talk to a controller doesn't make it a great idea to go fly in circles around the transition fix of a busy STAR at 10000ft, for instance. (This is a real thing I've seen 1200 code airplanes do.)

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

MrYenko posted:

doesn't make it a great idea to go fly in circles around the transition fix of a busy STAR at 10000ft, for instance. (This is a real thing I've seen 1200 code airplanes do.)

This sounds like the sort of thing goons do to troll VATSIM.

You'd be surprised just how full that big empty sky can get and why flying NORDO (no radio) is a really bad idea. I did a cross country last weekend and one of our stops was a touch and go at CJV5, a tiny little town in the middle of the Canadian prairies.We were setting up to approach from the south, overfly the field at 2500' MSL to check it out and then enter the circuit for RWY 04 (Picked 04 because of wind conditions at our previous stop about 20NM away). As soon as we made the call a Mooney replied saying that he was approaching for the north at 2500'MSL and was about to set up for 22. Then a THIRD guy called up saying he was coming in from the East.

Without those radio calls we would have been head to head with that Mooney and possibly that third guy.

This was at a field that apparently is hardly used and has no mandatory radio use, only an advisory frequency you're recommended to use *if* you have a radio.

EvilJoven fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Aug 11, 2016

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

EvilJoven posted:

This sounds like the sort of thing goons do to troll VATSIM.

You'd be surprised just how full that big empty sky can get and why flying NORDO (no radio) is a really bad idea. I did a cross country last weekend and one of our stops was a touch and go at CJV5, a tiny little town in the middle of the Canadian prairies.We were setting up to approach from the south, overfly the field at 2500' MSL to check it out and then enter the circuit for RWY 04 (Picked 04 because of wind conditions at our previous stop about 20NM away). As soon as we made the call a Mooney replied saying that he was approaching for the north at 2500'MSL and was about to set up for 22. Then a THIRD guy called up saying he was coming in from the East.

Without those radio calls we would have been head to head with that Mooney and possibly that third guy.

This was at a field that apparently is hardly used and has no mandatory radio use, only an advisory frequency you're recommended to use *if* you have a radio.

We used to do instrument approaches to North Vegas (and sometimes just fly by it on our way out of town) on our way back in to Nellis, and I distinctly recall a huge clusterfuck one day when an experimental was flying around with no radio and there was heavy air traffic. The controllers were going nuts trying to figure out where he was so they could keep people from running into his rear end.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
That airport is a D and that fuckface shouldn't have even been there without a radio, that place is towered from around 4am until well after midnight, if I'm reading it right and remember what timezone Vegas is in.

Kafouille
Nov 5, 2004

Think Fast !

Ola posted:

Sigh. "This is the future, where are the flying cars and the jetpacks!" is a fun joke, but sadly Silicon Valley money thinks it's serious. I'm sure they all say "when I was young, I used to dream blablabla" but the truth is when they were young they were normal kids who watched the Jetsons and played hover car with cardboard boxes. Now they want to make their childhood dreams afternoon playtime come true.

I actually know the dude that makes those things, I grew up in the same tiny French village. He's most definitely not Silicon Valley, he was into jetskis (His dad sold the things) and got most of his money by inventing the Flyboard, that water jetpack thing, quite literally in his garage with scrap jetski parts. I used to borrow tools from time to time and got to see the prototype under construction.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

EvilJoven posted:

That airport is a D and that fuckface shouldn't have even been there without a radio, that place is towered from around 4am until well after midnight, if I'm reading it right and remember what timezone Vegas is in.

I just had to write a controller statement for an incident a while back. Somebody climbed and descended in spirals right in the middle of DFW's departure corridor. He went as high as 9000ft then back down. Airliners had to be moved. They tracked him down after he landed.

I don't know what the result will be, I just wonder what sort of mental degradation the pilot was operating with. There is no way a certificated pilot with all their senses intact could be unaware of where they were. They departed and landed at an airport within 10 miles of DFW.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

We had a series of incidents where some non-military fighter pilots (retired military, now civilian, flying pointy-jets, ex-RAN/RNZAF A-4Ks, in this case, under contract to the US military) were flying radar intercepts on airliners on the STAR to KRSW, causing multiple TCAS RAs. They got their pee-pees slapped in a big way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

CarForumPoster posted:

It has "low unemployment" if you don't count people who have given up on looking for work, people who are only working part-time who want to be working full-time, etc. The value given in that page is U3 unemployment which is what the BLS switched to as its reported number in 1994. U6 unemployment is 9.7%, and workforce participation is at an all-time low (and, no, that's not because of retiring boomers). And wages have been flat for decades, which means *buying power* has significantly decreased. 40 years ago, it was entirely possible for a single wage-earner to own a home and support a household without going into crippling debt, and normal young adults were actually able to afford college educations by working summer and night jobs.

Oh, yeah, the US economy is doing just fine.