Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Jippa posted:

Just looking up that gorillas game and it definitely is the one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDc3ZEKl-Wc
I mean is there really any other gorilla-based game that matters other than gorilla.bas??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I am surprised, and slightly worried, about how many of those video game SFX I was able to guess correctly on the newest Retronauts. Especially for games I haven't played in 20 years, or never played at all!

(if you do that again please turn the quiz music way down TIA)

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

C-Euro posted:

I am surprised, and slightly worried, about how many of those video game SFX I was able to guess correctly on the newest Retronauts. Especially for games I haven't played in 20 years, or never played at all!

(if you do that again please turn the quiz music way down TIA)

All of the Megadrive/Genesis ones were throwaways for me, but yeah, it was a shockingly fun Retronauts.

I momentarily got it confused with last week's 8-4 Play where they showed off the special edition SFC 3DS LL where it plays random sound clips, and none of them could identify the Super Mario Kart "Choose Your Driver" jingle.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
I've wanted to make a "JRPG for people who've come to hate JRPGs" for a really long time, and after this week's WOFF I'm starting to think there might even be an audience for it.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

FractalSandwich posted:

I've wanted to make a "JRPG for people who've come to hate JRPGs" for a really long time, and after this week's WOFF I'm starting to think there might even be an audience for it.

That's totally a good idea. I think the trick is not to make your innovations simply paper over genre problems. That was what Bravely Default did and it didn't work for me at all. Though, to be fair, that was partly the bad characters/world.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

FractalSandwich posted:

The first thing you do is de-age them to the age where they're most susceptible to dumb anime plots(generally 10-14)

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Woffle posted:

That's totally a good idea. I think the trick is not to make your innovations simply paper over genre problems. That was what Bravely Default did and it didn't work for me at all. Though, to be fair, that was partly the bad characters/world.
You'd have to make some pretty fundamental changes, yeah. It's an insanely ambitious thing for a one-person team to attempt, which is why I haven't taken a serious shot at it yet.

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax
The thing is, I think you could get half way to one of the best JRPGs if you include some of the quality of life mechanics that are a part of the half-a-dozen "Best rpg of all times".

Like Earthbound's auto-defeat system, Phantasy Star 4/FF12 macro system, FFX's turn order, and other jazz like that.

That said, it's probably orders of magnitude harder to implement and work nicely together than just listing them.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Earthbound's auto-defeat, weak enemies flee, and rolling health bar mechanics are still some of my favorite video game mechanics.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I've never really understood why people like the rolling health bar. In the early game it's basically meaningless because your HP are so low/drop so fast that it just rolls and stops before you get through the menu most of the time and by the time you really interact with it all it does is force you to button mash through menus faster in the hope of saving Paula from being oneshot yet again.

There's a few enemy mechanics that interact with it in weird/dumb ways, too. Like the trees that burst into flames in Peaceful Rest Valley, who only do so when they die, and then the battle ends, so the rolling counter stops in a basically fixed amount of time. In other words, the explosion just does a fixed amount of damage less than its actual list damage and the effect is cosmetic.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Zombies' Downfall posted:

There's a few enemy mechanics that interact with it in weird/dumb ways, too. Like the trees that burst into flames in Peaceful Rest Valley, who only do so when they die, and then the battle ends, so the rolling counter stops in a basically fixed amount of time. In other words, the explosion just does a fixed amount of damage less than its actual list damage and the effect is cosmetic.

you say 'weird/dumb', i say 'weird/cool' :shrug:

also man, anyone who hasn't been watching the recent idle thumbs streams has really been missing out; i've been catching up on the rimworld streams on youtube and it's a nice chill time(when murderbots aren't ruining everything and statues of nick breckon barfing aren't being made)

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
I mean, it doesn't make it a bad idea, it makes it underused. If we slagged on things for that, the entire Paper Mario series is radioactive.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
The rolling HP system works well in conjunction with Mother 3's rhythm combo system, where you have to make the tradeoff between dealing damage vs preserving HP.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

The rolling HP system works well in conjunction with Mother 3's rhythm combo system, where you have to make the tradeoff between dealing damage vs preserving HP.

yeah now there's a loving mechanic more games should've taken inspiration from

especially since it gives whoever's doing music a reason to start doing some weird as hell tempos for boss fight songs

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Correction for the newest WOFF- I had a friend in high school named Dale who was having sex with his then-girlfriend in their back of his car somewhere, and then they decided to drive home before getting dressed. They were then pulled over for speeding. So there's at least one cool Dale out there :patriot:

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Aug 19, 2016

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I HAVE TO USE MY SOUND SWORD NOW.
I'll add that to our new Extrasode segment: "Dale Tales".

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
Man, that Dale. He fucks.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I remember some of the idle thumbs guys talking about how they felt the steam store had become this huge out of control thing that didn't really reflect things they were interested in anymore.

I just randomly saw this today. In the top corner of the steam store go For You > Your Queue > Customize Discovery Queue then add tags you want to exclude (if you start typing it lists them).

For instance

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

That's just your discovery queue which is basically useless.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Hakkesshu posted:

Much like the front page of the Steam store.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Hakkesshu posted:

Fair point I only just saw it described.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Jippa posted:

I remember some of the idle thumbs guys talking about how they felt the steam store had become this huge out of control thing that didn't really reflect things they were interested in anymore.

I just randomly saw this today. In the top corner of the steam store go For You > Your Queue > Customize Discovery Queue then add tags you want to exclude (if you start typing it lists them).

For instance

Yeah, they added that this year's Summer Sale, the trading card giveaway specifically introduced it.

Hakkesshu posted:

It isn't useless if you spend a little time training it.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I know I'm probably opening up Pandora's Box, but #yolo or whatever the tumblr teens are saying these days (or my monthly 401k statement, not joking).

I haven't finished this week's episode of Abject Suffering on South Park, but it is incredibly cathartic to hear you two reinforce your beliefs that taking a stance and giving a poo poo in contrast to both South Park and the culture that it has fostered. Doubly so after reading Jeb Lund's piece about Gawker's demise and being in the middle of a bunch of hot rear end takes everywhere this week.

I appreciate all of the good pods you Duckfeed boys put out. :)

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
In the "Amazed this hadn't happened sooner" category, Megaten Marathon is a new show wherein the hosts and rotating guests (per set of episodes) are going through the Megami Tensei series item by item, spinoffs, other media, and various strange ephemera included. It's interesting so far, and they're keeping a pretty good WOFF-like clip through these titles so far in terms of summing up the titles vs. being incredibly long-winded.

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

Captain Invictus posted:

I mean is there really any other gorilla-based game that matters other than gorilla.bas??

Haven't listened to the interview, but is that the game where you play as a gorilla standing on a building and have to type in the angle and speed with which to throw your boomerang at another gorilla? If yes then I had the same story growing up.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

kanonvandekempen posted:

Haven't listened to the interview, but is that the game where you play as a gorilla standing on a building and have to type in the angle and speed with which to throw your boomerang at another gorilla? If yes then I had the same story growing up.

That's the one. Almost everyone I know my age who's into games at all messed with gorilla.bas (and tried to make it into scorch.exe)

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Yeah, that's gorilla.bas

That and scorched earth were my bread and butter

Civil Twilight
Apr 2, 2011

kanonvandekempen posted:

throw your boomerang

Kids today.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!
I was almost certain it came with GWBASIC, but apparently it was QBASIC. gorilla.bas and the inferior "snake"-clone nibbles.bas.

Thinking of those always makes me think of DONKEY.BAS, which was included with an earlier version of MSDOS (3?) and is the sole videogame credit of one Bill Gates.

kanonvandekempen posted:

throw your boomerang

Get ahold of yourself, man.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Phone posted:

I know I'm probably opening up Pandora's Box, but #yolo or whatever the tumblr teens are saying these days (or my monthly 401k statement, not joking).

I haven't finished this week's episode of Abject Suffering on South Park, but it is incredibly cathartic to hear you two reinforce your beliefs that taking a stance and giving a poo poo in contrast to both South Park and the culture that it has fostered. Doubly so after reading Jeb Lund's piece about Gawker's demise and being in the middle of a bunch of hot rear end takes everywhere this week.

I appreciate all of the good pods you Duckfeed boys put out. :)

I listened to it twice because a solid takedown of South Park Libertarianism gets me right in the jollies.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The Wonder Boy episode of Retronauts was great and basically sums up my struggle trying to wrangle through those games in the late 90s after discovering emulators. It blows my mind that two Wonder Boy related games are coming out both consulted by the series creator. And of course it wouldn't be Wonder Boy if copyright fuckery wasn't involved so you've got the Sega blessed Dragon's Trap and the spiritual successor Monster Boy which seems to feature Shion from Monster World yet characters and gameplay from Dragon's Trap!!

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Excuse a bit of shameless self promotion:

Dark Insight
Inspired by Bloodborne and podcasts like Twin Humanities and Bonfireside Chat, Cliff Goldsmith started Dark Insight. He shortly added Vader as a host, and the podcast moved to more of a general gaming focus. 13 episodes in I joined, and we've been a trio ever since. We talk about games we've been playing and well, general gaming stuff. I will say this: you won't get any of us confused. I have a pretty thick, southern US accent. Cliff is from London, and Vader is from New Zealand. We have random guests on from the small community we've built, as well as other podcast people (like Paddy from Twin Humanities or more recently Peter Cleaves from Cane and Rinse). We do episodes every other week, with the occasional special episode in between if we feel like it.

Hosts: Clifford Goldsmith, Vader Van Odin, Jeremy Greer
Links: Site | iTunes | RSS | Twitter

Don't Give Up, Skeleton
If you live and breathe Dark Souls as much as I do, you've probably listened to a lot of podcasts about it. Whenever the topic comes up, the question "How did you get into Dark Souls?" invariably is the first question. I was fascinated by the different stories I would hear, so I said gently caress it and started my own podcast based on the topic. DGUS is a weekly podcast where I interview a guest about how they got into the series. I'm trying to walk a line between guests that people would recognize (like Illusory Wall or the aforementioned Paddy Stardust) and people that don't normally contribute to the community, but have interesting stories (like Katherine or Ali). Episodes are usually around an hour, and are almost 100% Souls chat unless the guest decides to go off topic. I've gotten good feedback for it so far, so I figured I would link it here again. I'm always looking for more guests, so if your'e into the idea send me an email or DM.

Host: Jeremy Greer
Links: Site | iTunes | RSS | Twitter

Also, I met the guy who does We're Not Wizards through the Duckfeed group, and he's hilarious. The podcast is about all things board gaming. I was on an ep recently talking about my first D&D experience, which was fantastic. You can check out that ep here, and listen to the D&D cast here (with Gary Butterfield, Brayton Cameron, Bryan Wade, and Shane Kelly).

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

END ME SCOOB posted:

In the "Amazed this hadn't happened sooner" category, Megaten Marathon is a new show wherein the hosts and rotating guests (per set of episodes) are going through the Megami Tensei series item by item, spinoffs, other media, and various strange ephemera included. It's interesting so far, and they're keeping a pretty good WOFF-like clip through these titles so far in terms of summing up the titles vs. being incredibly long-winded.

That is my jam and I am on it.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

END ME SCOOB posted:

This is pretty cool. I've always hoped Gary and Kole would play Nocturne for WOFF even though they would probably hate it so this is even better.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

WrightOfWay posted:

This is pretty cool. I've always hoped Gary and Kole would play Nocturne for WOFF even though they would probably hate it so this is even better.

I'm sure we'll do a Megaten game at some point. My favorites that I've played (Persona 3 and 4) are twice as long as I want them to be for the WOFF! treatment.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Have you finished Persona 4? I think it was the Sword of Mana episode where you talk about how ineffectual the "power of friendship" stories can be when you don't give a poo poo about these rubbish characters but Persona 4 builds the entire game around it. The final battle was practically ripped from Final Fantasy IX's Necron fight except actually emotional and heartfelt.

I haven't played the wide range of Megaten games but I'll probably take vacation for Persona 5.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Woffle posted:

I'm sure we'll do a Megaten game at some point. My favorites that I've played (Persona 3 and 4) are twice as long as I want them to be for the WOFF! treatment.

Yeah the Persona games are super long and I doubt you would really be into the mainline games since they are 95% dungeon crawls with random encounters every three steps. The only SMT games I can think of that would work for WOFF and that you guys wouldn't hate playing are either Devil Survivor or Raidou Kuzunoha vs King Abbadon.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

I finished 3 and got distracted by moving to Portland for 4 but liked them both. They're random encounter heavy, but they're the good kind of random encounter, I think, where you have to actually strategize. There's a tactics Megaten series too, right? That might be a good place for me to try to get back into the series.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

Woffle posted:

There's a tactics Megaten series too, right? That might be a good place for me to try to get back into the series.

Devil Survivor, grab the 3DS upgrades of those if you can, they just add some nice extra content and, to DS1 especially, lovely new systems and balance tweaks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Devil Survivor 1 does a pretty good job of showing society breaking down in the very early days of a demon apocalypse. It's cool.