Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Well he just drove off sometimes life's ok

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Look, I get that no one likes obey construction zone speed limits on the highway, but please don't loving pass me because I'm only going 10 over the limit when you were committed to going 5 under the limit the whole way before the construction zone. Do these people just not see the new speed limit signs?

Likewise, there's a section of the TransCanada that's had its speed limit bumped from 90 to 100 within the past two or three years I'd say -- yet most people continue to do 90, or will do the same speed (instead of speeding by the same amount) regardless of whether they're in a 90 zone or a 100 zone). Do people simply not observe the signs that are so helpfully placed at the side of the road or what? If you were okay with 110 in a 90, why not 120 in a 100?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

This is why instead of backup cameras we need magic computer cameras that read speed limit signs and put a big number on the dash saying THIS IS THE CURRENT SPEED LIMIT.

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.
My car does that.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

xzzy posted:

This is why instead of backup cameras we need magic computer cameras that read speed limit signs and put a big number on the dash saying THIS IS THE CURRENT SPEED LIMIT.

Naw, magic computer cameras that analyse driving habits from visual cues and will put up a big TAKE PUBLIC TRANSIT YOU SUCK AT DRIVING on the dash as it safely autoparks and shuts down.

And ejects the driver, one would hope.

Today: one-way multilane through street (eastbound), intersects with another (northbound). Leftmost two lanes of the eastbound are posted and marked on the pavement as turn lanes, to feed into the leftmost two northbound lanes.

Enter the Spokane Lane Change.

Since I'm going to be (Properly) changing lanes into the far right over the next couple blocks, I start in lane #2. Lane #1, however, decides to just barge right over partway through the turn and comes within four inches or so of turfing me right in the driver's side front wheel, until I leaned into the loving horn. Look over and there's no phone, food or drink, reading material, makeup or anything to distract that driver, just "durrrrrr gonna move over".

I really need to buy a BTR-90 and let people argue with Russian steel. "Sure, merge into me, see if I notice."

Zamboni Apocalypse fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Aug 5, 2016

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

xzzy posted:

I want one that says GET OUT OF THE PASSING LANE on the front of my car, in mirrored text.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Craptacular posted:

I want one that says GET OUT OF THE PASSING LANE on the front of my car, in mirrored text.

LED matrix, we have the technology. Make it happen.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Craptacular posted:

Haha, like passing lane hogs ever look in the rearview unless a cop is bearing down on them with the blues flashing.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

kastein posted:

Haha, like passing lane hogs ever look in the rearview unless a cop is bearing down on them with the blues flashing.

They might notice the cop after a couple of miles.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=67f_1470257003

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
These are the people you share a track with
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=b21_1470407108

B4Ctom1 fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Aug 6, 2016

Repo Man
Nov 19, 2005
After seeing this guy in action I would have enjoyed it if he had been pulled from his car and pummeled, but no such luck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clq4ozikD_w

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Repo Man posted:

After seeing this guy in action I would have enjoyed it if he had been pulled from his car and pummeled, but no such luck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clq4ozikD_w

I hope you mean the guy with the cam, because that was a dick move to not let the other guy merge. The way it escalated was loving stupid but all the airbrush idiot had to do was back off the throttle and let the dude in, none of the rest would've happened.

To contribute, a cop doing something cool we all wish would happen more (fun starts at 35s)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJjtQKND4W8

Repo Man
Nov 19, 2005

BOOTY-ADE posted:

I hope you mean the guy with the cam, because that was a dick move to not let the other guy merge. The way it escalated was loving stupid but all the airbrush idiot had to do was back off the throttle and let the dude in, none of the rest would've happened.

To contribute, a cop doing something cool we all wish would happen more (fun starts at 35s)

I thought it would be obvious since the guy who posted the video (and who apparently feels he was justified in driving that way) never got out of his car, but yes.

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!

BOOTY-ADE posted:

Both were being dicks. The guy merging could of slowed down a bit and slotted in behind the camera car but at the same time the camera car could of moved lanes to let the guy in. Both need to check their mirrors and engage their brain.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

Foxtrot_13 posted:

Both were being dicks. The guy merging could of slowed down a bit and slotted in behind the camera car but at the same time the camera car could of moved lanes to let the guy in. Both need to check their mirrors and engage their brain.
Have course they both of some kind have responsibility. But they of different motives—the merging car makes an unthinking error (and does it first), the camera car does it deliberately. Which have the two you feel is worse is perhaps a question of mercy versus justice. I wouldn't be surprised if the opinions on that were split along political lines. A lot have these types of decisions of that sort have distribution, in my experience.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Foxtrot_13 posted:

...could of ... could of ... engage their brain.

wayfinder posted:

Have course they both of some kind have responsibility. But they of different motives—the merging car makes an unthinking error (and does it first), the camera car does it deliberately. Which have the two you feel is worse is perhaps a question of mercy versus justice. I wouldn't be surprised if the opinions on that were split along political lines. A lot have these types of decisions of that sort have distribution, in my experience.

Either :golfclap: or :psyboom:. I'm not sure which.

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Aug 7, 2016

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

wayfinder posted:

You missed one, but :golfclap:

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I MAKE BAD POSTING DECISIONS

wayfinder posted:

Guys I think I'm having a stroke. :ohdear:

Repo Man
Nov 19, 2005

Foxtrot_13 posted:

The driver trying to merge was careless, but the driver who sped up to prevent the merge was malevolent. You don't try to admonish someone for driving unsafely by driving in a manner that is far more unsafe than the minor transgression the other person committed.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

From 406oc.co.uk, a guy who just bought a cheap diesel Peugeot 406:

quote:

i've decided to do a few bits to make it go a bit faster, from reading up it seems like the standard diesel protocol, remove EGR/cat/DPF and remap for a cheap and effective power gain.

:eng99:

Apparently this is just completely standard for everyone with a diesel car in the UK and Europe in general, rip out all the emissions gear right away and soot up everything around you. I hate these people.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Getting rid of emissions gear is pretty common in any car you are trying to squeeze power out of. One of the most popular modifications for the current WRX is to delete the tumbler generator valve that generates turbulence in the intake when the engine is still cold. You know, among egr and cat deletes.

It's kind of funny. At a certain point, manufacturers have to use larger displacement motors in favor of better fuel economy smaller displacement motors because they have to be detuned to meet emissions regulations. They effectively have to choose to burn more fuel to lower emissions. Sort of a counterintuitive thought.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

um excuse me posted:

Getting rid of emissions gear is pretty common in any car you are trying to squeeze power out of. One of the most popular modifications for the current WRX is to delete the tumbler generator valve that generates turbulence in the intake when the engine is still cold. You know, among egr and cat deletes.

It's still a complete shitheel thing to do for any street-driven vehicle.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Yea, just pointing out that this behavior is hardly limited to diesels.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Wouldn't it have the same effect with a standard gas car, it's just that when you remove all of that poo poo on a diesel it starts spewing out the soot and poo poo?

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1j8XD0nGV94

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Could also be titled "Please learn how to drive". No way should that tiny 'flick' avoidance maneuver have caused her to completely lose control like that.. sheez..

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Great Sand Dunes NP has a "primitive road" section on it, a portion of which they claim 2wd drive vehicles can navigate safely.

So of course I flung my Prius down that fucker with no second thoughts. It really wasn't that bad.. was all really loose sand with a few minor bumps and a couple berms where the underbody might drag a little but you'd plow through if you kept momentum. Not the dumbest thing I've done in that car.

For most of my time in there the only company I had was Jeeps and Subarus until on my way out I encountered some young bro and his lady scuffle their way past in a sport package Mustang. The front splitter was plowing sand every time he neared a bump. Maybe that's how the NPS regrades their roads.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

KozmoNaut posted:

From 406oc.co.uk, a guy who just bought a cheap diesel Peugeot 406:

:eng99:

Apparently this is just completely standard for everyone with a diesel car in the UK and Europe in general, rip out all the emissions gear right away and soot up everything around you. I hate these people.

Yeah these people are massive idiots. Especially when it comes to diesel particles. It's the same story on the uk alfa forums. At least the Swedish Alfa club reacted badly to someone suggesting it on their forum. :unsmith:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

At least they don't go straight from DPF to straight thru with a soot tune like moron brotrucks here. A properly tuned modern diesel won't soot all that much. My truck doesn't even have a cat and i beyond romping on it cold can't force visible black smoke out of the exhaust. It's pretty normal to see what should be DPF trucks here making GBS threads out a regular truck's month worth of soot at every stop light.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
In California you can report smoking cars. I’m not sure that it results in anything more than a letter, though.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
On my way to lunch today some loving numpty in a black Audi moved all the way to the left side of the lane, slowed, and turned on their left blinker. Since I was continuing straight I slid a bit to the right and prepared to ease past theWHEN SUDDENLY THEY HOOK A HARD RIGHT, left turn signal still blinking happily. Fortunately I was far enough back to hammer the brakes and stop without hitting them.

loving drown in a god damned toilet fire you oblivious skill-less moron :psyboom:

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
In the bike lane today. Dude passes me way to close in his truck, immediately swerves into the bike lane, slams on his brakes and I guess is going to parallel park into an empty spot. Had to slam on my own brakes and almost hit him. rear end in a top hat -- wait 10 seconds and try not killing people.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

nm posted:

In the bike lane today. Dude passes me way to close in his truck, immediately swerves into the bike lane, slams on his brakes and I guess is going to parallel park into an empty spot. Had to slam on my own brakes and almost hit him. rear end in a top hat -- wait 10 seconds and try not killing people.

I've given up. If I keep riding on roads, I'll get killed by some ignorant idiot who isn't even aware of it and probably feels I deserved it for riding a bike to begin with.
Nobody knows how to pass properly, use a loving turning signal or even lights when it's dark.
I'm sticking to bike paths, shared use paths, anything but roads. gently caress that.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

TotalLossBrain posted:

I've given up. If I keep riding on roads, I'll get killed by some ignorant idiot who isn't even aware of it and probably feels I deserved it for riding a bike to begin with.
Nobody knows how to pass properly, use a loving turning signal or even lights when it's dark.
I'm sticking to bike paths, shared use paths, anything but roads. gently caress that.

I actually feel the safest on country roads out here. It is amazing that all the farmers in f350s give you all the space possible. While some of this is California, I experenced the same thing in rural areas on my trans-am in every state (washington to NY) except Indiana because Indiana is a garbage state. (Seriously, holy gently caress massholes are more courtious drivers.)

Next up: Nashville to Baton Rouge. I'm gonna die, but I bet it will be in some crappy town.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Farm roads can be okay, but there are plenty of rear end in a top hat semi drivers for bigger farms that feel inclined to pass within 1ft at 60mph, blow their horn, or both at the same time.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?
Guy has his left turn signal on.

Guy turns right.

It made me think of y'all.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

nitrogen posted:

Guy has his left turn signal on.

Guy turns right.

It made me think of y'all.

Yeah, that's been my last week, at least 3-4 cars a day. It's driving me absolutely batshit because I already didn't trust anyone before because nobody signalled, now it's the WRONG signal, like some sort of sick agreement everyone made to just be contrary assholes.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PxUHXFHFeYU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

I've done worse. I did a superman for at least a mile between the fast lane and carpool lane during rush hour traffic. If the name isn't obvious, a superman is basically planking on the bike. I was on the 5 back to Los Angeles from San Diego. I had the idea and you think, "lol that's crazy no way, gently caress you brain." But the thought that bothered me was looking back and being ashamed that I didn't have the balls.

So I kinda feel sorry for this guy.