Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Havent been for a few years but the hope and anchor very near where your staying used to be excellent on a sunday

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blixa
Jan 9, 2006

Kein bestandteil sein

peanut- posted:

Not that many pubs/restaurants do roasts really well. If you don't mind spending a bit there's a restaurant called Roast (obviously) very close to where you're staying that does an excellent job. It'll run you £50-60 a head all in though.

If you want more of a pub atmosphere and are willing to travel a bit you could go to The Bull & Last in Kentish Town which is superb. Kentish Town also has a lot of other decent ale pubs you can do a tour of - The Southampton Arms, The Pineapple, Tapping the Admiral, The Grafton, Camden Town Brewery.

Nice, thanks for the recommendations!

(I also have a few old friends in London who I'm sure will take us places, but they won't be able to hang out every day we're there because "work" or something stupid.)

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

Havent been for a few years but the hope and anchor very near where your staying used to be excellent on a sunday

I did hear about that place while doing some light Google research, maybe I should check it out. Looks like they accept reservations on Sundays for lunch.

sweek0
May 22, 2006

Let me fall out the window
With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
On a blanket by the stairs
I'll tell you all my secrets
But I lie about my past
Yes go to the Bull & Last for a roast, but make sure to book well ahead.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Also the recommendation for the Southampton Arms is a good one. Cash only, pickled eggs, cask ale, rammed to the gills. So good.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Hawksmoor is the one true roast.

Tayyabs for Indian.

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
So the proms are on again, I'll be spending a lot of time around the royal albert hall and kensington in the next few months. Anyone got any good reccs for food around the area? Best looking places I got starred around there are the Churchill arms, Britannia and A Wong but I've never actually been to any of them, anyone been and liked them? There's flat three too but it looks like tiny little babby meals, not dinner.

Any good gelato places for after too? :)

blixa
Jan 9, 2006

Kein bestandteil sein

Kaiho posted:

Also the recommendation for the Southampton Arms is a good one. Cash only, pickled eggs, cask ale, rammed to the gills. So good.

Just reading their website on what constitutes an "emergency" and what does not when calling them has me sold on the place!

Steakandchips posted:

Hawksmoor is the one true roast.

Tayyabs for Indian.

Oh yeah, Tayyabs. I've heard of that before. And the Hawksmoor menu made me drool.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

blixa posted:

Just reading their website on what constitutes an "emergency" and what does not when calling them has me sold on the place!

The owner has another pub, the Cock Tavern in Hackney, which is similarly no nonsense

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

sharktamer posted:

So the proms are on again, I'll be spending a lot of time around the royal albert hall and kensington in the next few months. Anyone got any good reccs for food around the area? Best looking places I got starred around there are the Churchill arms, Britannia and A Wong but I've never actually been to any of them, anyone been and liked them? There's flat three too but it looks like tiny little babby meals, not dinner.

A Wong is superb. I suggest going for lunch so you get the dim sum though, I've never tried their evening menu.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

blixa posted:

And the Hawksmoor menu made me drool.

It should. Definitely have their sticky toffee pudding for dessrt if you go. (which you should)

Rolled Cabbage
Sep 3, 2006

peanut- posted:

A Wong is superb. I suggest going for lunch so you get the dim sum though, I've never tried their evening menu.

Imma second this and say that you can get some dim sum at dinner too, but the non-sum is aces tooo. Also when I was last there they had rocking ice cream, so maybe combine trips instead of gelato?

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

I would also recommend Hawksmoor for a roast.

I've been to Tayyabs and while it was better than most standard Indian restaurants I didn't find it amazing.

I did go to Veeraswamy with work a while back and that was nice but I suppose more pricy.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
I know Dishoom is a chain but I thought the food was very good. We went to the Covent Gdn branch. It was very busy, with a line to get in - which they managed brilliantly, bringing people free chai and lemonade before moving us to the bar to wait for the table. I got the impression that it was extremely well-run and managed to deal with a high volume of customers.

And yeah, I've eaten twice at Cinnamon Soho and been impressed.

Near me (Finsbury Park) is a more conventional Indian but with some Nepali dishes too called Yak and Yeti. It's very good, fairly cheap, and good value for the quality.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
I've seen Rasa recommended here for Indian and I've actually recommended it to other people who have been thoroughly impressed (which is great, considering most of them are Indian themselves). Haven't been yet myself, but looking forward to checking it out next time I'm in town!

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Anybody been to Zias in archway?

Used to live in k-town and their tikka masala (?) was next level stuff. Straight out of the 90s DIY food craze. Totally different to anything else I've had.

Tikka chicken, with some sauce in the bottom, then filled up with this thick white sweet coconutty sauce. You mix it when you get it and it becomes whole.

I may be be slightly bias, queensbury just seems to have salty brown slop on the just-eat menu.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

sharktamer posted:

I used to work around there, and the Churchill Arms was excellent, both for the food and just being a great pub in general.

This was a good three years ago mind.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Lemon-Lime posted:

Make sure you book, though, unless you want to be stuck queuing shoulder to shoulder for two hours.

Lahore Kebab House isn't far from Tayyabs, just as good (ex chef from Tayyabs), and far less hassle with queues. Next time I'm in London I'll be eating my own bodyweight in their lamb chops.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

sharktamer posted:

Oddono's in Bute street for gelato everyday of the week. Open till 11 too. There's a Franco Manca nearby now, if you fancy cheapish Malaysian style Chinese food oriental canteen at the end of exhibition road is fun and very authentic. £3 for roti canai is crazy though, stupid London. Beirut express for Lebanese is good though it's not cheap.

Really wish I could think of more food recommendations but places there are pretty much all expensive and just about decent. If someone has better if also love to hear it.

Brand New Malaysian Wife
Apr 5, 2007
I encourage children who are bullied to kill themselves. In fact, I get off to it. Pedophilia-snuff films are the best. More abused children need to kill themselves.
I went for Hello Kitty afternoon tea at Cutter and Squidge in Soho this afternoon and it was delicious and cute and totally worth the £40pp.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Anywhere good in Croydon? Might be moving there

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Spuckuk posted:

Lahore Kebab House isn't far from Tayyabs, just as good (ex chef from Tayyabs), and far less hassle with queues. Next time I'm in London I'll be eating my own bodyweight in their lamb chops.

LKH is spicier in general, but yes, very good.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst

BizarroAzrael posted:

I went to Scrumpchinos once for breakfast many years ago and it was pretty drat good.

sweek0
May 22, 2006

With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
But I lie about my past

BizarroAzrael posted:

Hey I just moved here! It's nowhere near as bad as people make it out to be. Whilst I've barely eaten here so far, there are definitely a couple of nice little hipster coffee shops (St. Matthew's Yard is great, and does excellent brunch), and there's a huge Spanish tapas place that's very fun and friendly on the High Street - I ended up there last weekend.

So eh, let me know if and when you do find something.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
Odonno's is amazing. Highly recommend.

Rimmer
Aug 23, 2004
More reliable than a garden strimmer
Can vouch for A Wong too. Went for the evening taster menu for my birthday and it was incredible. Also did the taster menu for Restaurant Story a few weeks ago which lived up to expectations but was pricey (£500+ for 4 inc wine).

Chick N Sourz is a real find. Anyone done the Sunday lunch where they fry a whole chicken?

Has anyone got any recommendations for bottomless brunch options? Ive done Bad Egg a few times which was good for the £35. Did Victory Mansion recently too which was £15 for the unlimited cocktails for 2 hours and then around £6 for a sourdough sandwich. Ridiculous value. Jones and Sons also looks pretty good and ill be giving that a try in next few weeks (what can go wrong with unlimited eggs benedict?).

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Thanks for the Tayyab's tip. It was packed, hot and noisy, perfect. Final bill for five happy adults was £49.55.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

therattle posted:

Near me (Finsbury Park) is a more conventional Indian but with some Nepali dishes too called Yak and Yeti. It's very good, fairly cheap, and good value for the quality.

I can confirm that place is pretty good.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Ola posted:

Thanks for the Tayyab's tip. It was packed, hot and noisy, perfect. Final bill for five happy adults was £49.55.

Always a pleasure.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

blixa posted:

The girlfriend and I are going to be in London in a couple of weeks, staying just south of Tate Modern for four nights. Since I live in the LA area, I have great access to all sorts of Asian and Southern American food and we're going to Paris for the second leg of the trip, so I guess I'm looking for suggestions:

- Sunday roast or a real good full English breakfast
- Good Indian food
- A good pub where we can get some cask ale

Area doesn't really matter, we'll go far for good food. Prefer to not go to the more touristy spots, for obvious reasons.

Since nobody really gave you the works on breakfast, the Wolseley, Delauney or Hawksmoor all do a really top notch breakfast. Although a good full english isn't super hard to come by and you're better off saving your cash for the roast.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Maggie's. Best breakfast. Fact.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Kaiho posted:

Maggie's. Best breakfast. Fact.

Where, pray tell?

sweek0
May 22, 2006

With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
But I lie about my past
E Pellici does the best breakfast/brunch. It's the most amazing cafe I've ever been to.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

therattle posted:

Where, pray tell?

I'm pretty sure he means in Lewisham.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Disinterested posted:

I'm pretty sure he means in Lewisham.

Yep. Everything I'd want from a fry-up.

kim jong-illin
May 2, 2011
Breakfast at Dishoom is always good, if expensive. I usually drag colleagues from work there when we finish a week of night shifts and no-one's ever disappointed with an egg naan roll and a Dhoble on the veranda.

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
Wow, I've not even been following the thread but the question I wanted to ask is strangely relevant. A friend of mine has been harping on about Chinese breakfast, saying she hasn't had it in 15 years since before she moved here. The closest place she found apparently doing it is in Dusseldorf. There must be more than two places in the world that do Chinese breakfast and there must be at least one in this city. Anyone ever found any chinese places that do authentic breakfast?

e: She's from there so probably wants the real stuff ™

midori-a-gogo
Feb 26, 2006

feeling a bit green
There are a couple of places in Chinatown that are open for (a slightly late) breakfast - Hung's and Far East Cafe, I think. Pretty typical stuff with congee, youtiao, jian bing, etc.

For something a bit trendier, Chinese Laundry in Islington does breakfast, but I've never tried it.

tentish klown
Apr 3, 2011
I've just moved to half way between Old St and Shoreditch High St stations, about 3 mins walk from Dinerama. What's good and cheap to eat around, where should I get my affordable take away dinners?!

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

tentish klown posted:

I've just moved to half way between Old St and Shoreditch High St stations, about 3 mins walk from Dinerama. What's good and cheap to eat around, where should I get my affordable take away dinners?!

hahahahahhahahahahahahaha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tentish klown
Apr 3, 2011

Kaiho posted:

hahahahahhahahahahahahaha

Come on man, let me live in hope!