Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I guess when I was renting cars I did it enough to get the nice one (week long rental every two weeks, and an 4 and 8+ month rental). I usually ended up with Lincoln MKZs or whatever the same thing is in as SUV. They felt fine and tight enough even with 20k or so. I don't think I've ever rented a Chrysler product though.

gently caress the ford escape or maybe edge, whichever SUV has the tiny back window. That poo poo is terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Platystemon posted:

On a scale of FFFFFF to 000000, how black was your friend?

Basically a nerdy Mike Epps.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Elmnt80 posted:

The chrysler 200 I got had 27k on the odometer and still felt tight as a drum. If you asked me, I would have guessed they had just gotten in. It seemed like it was a slightly more upspec model rather than the poverty/rental spec, so maybe that had something to do with it. v:shobon:v

My last rental was a 200 S (I'm not sure what the S trim really adds), with right at 30k.

It drove decent enough, aside from the transmission never being able to make up its mind as to what gear it wanted. The engine sounded pretty rough though, rattly as hell and about as refined as tar sands oil. Sounded like it'd never seen an oil change. Or oil.

Tubesock Holocaust posted:

All the rental cars I've driven have had less than 5,000 miles on them. The only 30,000+ mile rental car I've run into was a 2014 or 2015 Corolla, but the guy at the counter wouldn't let me have it unless it was 200 miles shy of its "let's dump this bitch at auction" threshold.

I had a rental Cobalt with 35k on it, and holy poo poo... massive pile of poo poo. Kept overheating, rattling timing chain, transmission wouldn't downshift when you wanted it to, etc.

Ionically I now own that car's twin, coming up on 150k now, and it's been a very solid car (just gutless as hell).

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Aug 10, 2016

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Last time I got a rental it was an Impala. This was a bit over a year ago, and it was a fairly new car, about 17k on the clock and really in pretty good shape. Very comfy, drove nice, plenty of power for a highway cruising rental... Then after I got about 50 miles out of town, the cruise control dropped out and a warning came on the dash, something about the traction control system. Reset the cruise, 17 miles later, drops again, same warning message.

I called the rental company and they instantly recognized the message and told me it was fine to drive, but if I wanted to I could swap it at the Vegas airport (I was about 80 miles outside of Phoenix at that point). Yea, think I'm gonna swap that bastard since I have a 12 hour drive ahead of me, and then the same coming back (I was doing a run to Reno to pick up a bunch of stuff and bring it back to Phoenix), and having the cruise drop out at random intervals on the highway is going to annoy the poo poo out of me.

Got an Altima in Vegas with less than 3k in it, and that car was great. The only thing better about the Impala was that it had satellite radio (which is kind of handy in the empty wastes of both Nevada and Arizona). Luckily I had my iPod with me so I just had to stop in at Fry's near the Vegas airport to get the proper cable since the Altima didn't have an iPod or USB connector of course.

When I swapped out the car in Vegas, they were completely unsurprised by the reason, so apparently that's a pretty common failure point for those cars I guess?

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

I do remember the Mustang GT I rented for a weekend had what seemed to be a nice, deep rumble at cruising speed.

Turns out that might have been a bad wheel bearing. I think it had 3k miles on the odo, but being an automatic V8 sports coupe....

stump
Jan 19, 2006

One of the best rental cars I've had was also one of the oldest...

I rented that late 2005, 80,000 mile polo in 2016. 1.4 petrol manual (obvs) with 100hp, and went very well for a warm hatch. Perfect for the roads on Islay and Jura I was driving it on. Interior was wearing well and the only thing not working was the 12v socket.

A lot of the small hire places on the Scottish islands are like that, on Uist I always ended up with some lovely 8 year Astra or Vectra. Getting a three year old Peugeot 106107? felt like an upgrade.

stump fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Aug 10, 2016

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

It is too early in the morning for puns this bad, that better be a typo.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

The best hire car I've ever had was a Citroën DS4 I had when I was in Scotland a couple of years ago. Extremely comfortable, good handling, peppy enough to easily keep up with traffic, and adequately equipped (climate control and cruise control, primarily).

10/10 would drive a newer Citroën again.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

My last two rentals out of Philly have been Jeeps. The Compass I got felt cheap but was otherwise functional, but I was impressed by the Renegade.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation
I've been using a brand new Nissan Altima from Southern California, with Nevada plates, while driving in Oregon the past few weeks. I've enjoyed it since it works right and handles the mountain twisters decently. Can get out of its own way but just barely. Speakers leave a lot to be desired. Mpg in the low 30s all trip. Holds our camping gear, dog, guitar, 3 cases of beer, a metric ton of books, and our clothes without much rearranging of the wife's packing style...

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I'm glad y'all like the Altima because the one I rented a few months ago was miserable. Couldn't handle the hills between Phoenix/Sedona for poo poo, even if I turned on sport mode. I'd bury my foot and it would spin up real good, and nothing happened.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Brand new craftsman lawn mower that started leaking oil after running it for 2 minutes. I pulled it apart to find this on the underside. Some mouthbreather tapped the wrong hole all the way into the case juuuuust enough for it to leak. Gee, I wonder why it was on clearance for $50?

(we returned it, but for fiddy bux I kinda wished I just JB welded the hole shut and ran it til it died)

Slim Pickens fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Aug 10, 2016

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

some texas redneck posted:

My last rental was a 200 S (I'm not sure what the S trim really adds), with right at 30k.

It drove decent enough, aside from the transmission never being able to make up its mind as to what gear it wanted. The engine sounded pretty rough though, rattly as hell and about as refined as tar sands oil. Sounded like it'd never seen an oil change. Or oil.

I had a rental Cobalt with 35k on it, and holy poo poo... massive pile of poo poo. Kept overheating, rattling timing chain, transmission wouldn't downshift when you wanted it to, etc.

Ionically I now own that car's twin, coming up on 150k now, and it's been a very solid car (just gutless as hell).

My wife had a Cobalt for 7 years. The engine and transmission were perfectly fine, it was everything else that fell apart.

Safety Dance posted:

My last two rentals out of Philly have been Jeeps. The Compass I got felt cheap but was otherwise functional, but I was impressed by the Renegade.

I rented a Renegade for a week in June. Hated the million speed transmission and thought it had poor gas mileage for how small it is. Actually felt better driving on dirt roads than on pavement.

stump
Jan 19, 2006

I had an Altima rental when I drove Vegas > Tahoe > SF > LA > Vegas a year ago . As a town and highway car I really liked it, but coming up the 207 to South Lake Tahoe it was awful. I had a clear road ahead of me and was attempting to have some funhouse the hill but it had a horrible habit of upshifting coming into corners just you were transitioning from brakes to throttle.

On the open road sport mode actually seemed to make it drive worse, it seemed just to add extra fake shifts, whereas normal mode it acted more like a CVT should and kept the revs nice a high when booting it.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

FogHelmut posted:

My wife had a Cobalt for 7 years. The engine and transmission were perfectly fine, it was everything else that fell apart.

Surprisingly, the only non-mechanical part that's given me any issues is the sunroof. It got jammed awhile back, and when I got it unjammed I got showered with a bunch of brittle broken pieces of plastic. Still works, but makes a "pop" when opening and has a lot more wind noise now.

The (manual) transmission is showing its age a bit, it grinds going into 2nd occasionally. But it was never a refined gearbox to begin with. I'm at 150k on it, so some synchro bitchiness is expected. Only non-wear item on the car that's had to be replaced has been the fuel pump, and GM covered that. Original battery made it to 10 years, still on the original clutch.

The part of every GM you expect to fall apart - the interior - has held up really well. I have a couple of rattles, but nothing has fallen apart.

e: now that I've posted this it's going to burn to the ground next time I try to drive it, isn't it?

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Aug 10, 2016

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
No GM has always had a reputation to build economy cars that won't die but be the absolute worst shitboxes ever in the process. Truly a brand for the most masochistic of us. My Saturn L200 had the exact identical sun roof failure.

JudgeJoeBrown
Mar 23, 2007

https://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/cto/5705301723.html

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

I for one am SHOCKED that it would have suspension problems.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Dagen H fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Aug 11, 2016

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Funzo posted:

I for one am SHOCKED that it would have suspension problems.

Horrible pun aside, what is even holding those upper and lower coil springs together? I don't see a donut thingy or any sort of mount between them.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

:catstare:

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Owner: yeah it's pretty good but you know what it needs to really push it to the next level?

*spray paints SKEETERBILT on the side*

O: yep. There it is, perfect.

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?

Does that thing even have brakes?

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

0toShifty posted:

yea, pinion brake. you can kinda see it in the first ad pic, and the assembly in the quoted photo.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

0toShifty posted:

Even if it did, would you want to prolong your death or just end it quickly?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

0toShifty posted:

Why would you need brakes, what are you, a pussy?

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Raluek posted:

Horrible pun aside, what is even holding those upper and lower coil springs together? I don't see a donut thingy or any sort of mount between them.

Jack poo poo.

There's a reason the tubes are busted.. it's one good bump away from an amusing failure.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Jesus loving christ :aaaaa:

One Day Fish Sale
Aug 28, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I think if you drove it up alongside the edge of a cliff and pushed it sideways, it'd go over like a slinky down stairs. There's just...nothing laterally supporting at all.

pants in my pants
Aug 18, 2009

by Smythe
It's not a Ranger either, it's a Mazda Bwhatever. Same thing but not as good to the kind of person who builds/buys this poo poo

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

What the gently caress kind of suspension setup is that even TRYING to be? Its not 3 link, Its not triangulated 4 link, its not 5 link.

Its literally held in alignment with boogerwelds and red paint.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Ferremit posted:

What the gently caress kind of suspension setup is that even TRYING to be?

Memento posted:

SKEETERBILT

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull

Ferremit posted:

What the gently caress kind of suspension setup is that even TRYING to be? Its not 3 link, Its not triangulated 4 link, its not 5 link.

Its literally held in alignment with boogerwelds and red paint.

Not to take away from the general awfulness of that, but it sure looks like a triangulated 4 link to me...

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Same setup as the rear suspension in a 99-04 WJ chassis Grand Cherokee. Upper is a Y-link/wishbone, lowers are separate. If properly set up it works pretty well, if done improperly, you get a LOT of roll steer.

The "coilovers" made out of whitebody shocks and several junk coil springs stacked together and the extra shocks just sorta slapped on piecemeal are what really makes it awful. Oh, and the link angles, and the welding, and the coilover brackets, and the fact that they debraked the axle and pinion braked it (ok for offroad only use) and then left all the random hoses and bullshit from the stock brakes still stuck on there (ghetto as gently caress.)

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Cross-post, might not be a mechanical failure but close to one:

cheese-cube posted:

F-22 Raptor grounded by 20,000 bees http://edition.cnn.com/2016/08/12/politics/f-22-raptor-grounded-honey-bee-swarm/index.html

quote:

An F-22 aircraft from the 192nd Air Wing was temporarily grounded on June 11 after crew members at Joint Base Langley-Eustis in Virginia discovered nearly 20,000 bees hanging from the jet's exhaust nozzle following flight operations.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I guess you could say it's generating a lot of no i can't even do it.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

... buzz? :v:

If those were yellow jackets or hornets I'd say hell with it just fire it up and the problem will take care of itself, but we need all the honeybees we can save.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Bee-force?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Not even bees can make that piece of poo poo fly.