Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Sepist posted:

Wow Amazon must be hurting for talent. My old coworker just took a job over there - 150k base, 85k first year sign on bonus, 65k second year, pay for relocation, and 270 shares of amazon. Non-management. Then he asked if I want him to put my resume in for the same job. Yes please, even with the lower base pay that's loving ridiculous. Just gotta convince my fiance to move across the country.

Holy poo poo where and do they do remote?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
It's in their Seattle office. I guess they're having trouble pulling talent from the other bug guys in seattle

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Sepist posted:

Wow Amazon must be hurting for talent. My old coworker just took a job over there - 150k base, 85k first year sign on bonus, 65k second year, pay for relocation, and 270 shares of amazon. Non-management. Then he asked if I want him to put my resume in for the same job. Yes please, even with the lower base pay that's loving ridiculous. Just gotta convince my fiance to move across the country.

Amazon.com, Inc.
NASDAQ: AMZN - Aug 10, 6:22 PM EDT
768.56USD

lol

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I hear they give you a free box of fire phones upon hire

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Methanar posted:

Amazon.com, Inc.
NASDAQ: AMZN - Aug 10, 6:22 PM EDT
768.56USD

lol

holy poo poo.

RFC2324 posted:

Holy poo poo where and do they do remote?

I just looked for remote jobs, it looks like there aren't a lot of remote IT jobs currently open :(

Sepist posted:

It's in their Seattle office. I guess they're having trouble pulling talent from the other bug guys in seattle

What type of talent/work? I mean, I doubt I'm skilled enough to command a 150k salary (although it woudl be nice) but I wouldn't mind moving out there for a 30-40k raise lol.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Kicking myself daily over selling my 100 shares of Amazon stock for $70/share.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I know they're always hiring people in the DC area to work on the GovCloud. Never really looked into it, but for >200k a year it's piqued my interest.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k

MF_James posted:

holy poo poo.

I just looked for remote jobs, it looks like there aren't a lot of remote IT jobs currently open :(

What type of talent/work? I mean, I doubt I'm skilled enough to command a 150k salary (although it woudl be nice) but I wouldn't mind moving out there for a 30-40k raise lol.

This particular job is for people who have done Service Provider Wifi (1 million+ access points). Apparently they found our whole department from my previous job and have been trying to get all of them in for interviews but only my one coworker bit. I deleted the email too from the Amazon recruiter, didn't realize this was the package

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

The money Amazon offers is great but overall I don't see it any worse or better than comparable corps - Microsoft, IBM, Google, etc. The on-going continuous stream of awful Amazon management keeps me thinking twice.

Gucci Loafers fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Aug 10, 2016

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k

Tab8715 posted:

The money Amazon offers is great but overall I don't see it any worse or better than comparable corps - Microsoft, IBM, Google, etc. The on-going trend the continuous stream of awful Amazon management keeps me thinking twice.

He did mention he can see management problems just from one interview, but I have 6 figure debt from a failed business and this could write it off pretty quickly so hey

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Pay me whatever you want BUT I'M NOT CHECKING EMAIL ON THE WEEKEND!!!

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Someone needs to change your avatar to a guy in waders and a straw hat :)

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

CloFan posted:

Is Bomgar worth $7k? Doing a trial now, but I'm thinking yes.
There are a lot of things that Bomgar does that set it apart from the competitors. Bomgar has a great client for android for both controlling other PCs and for controlling a phone from a PC. Huge time savings to walk in a datacenter and connect to a server from your phone instead of a laptop. You can save the clients credentials through a reboot to automatically login without actually seeing or saving the password. This is really handy for troubleshooting office related issues. The client can log into another pc using their usual password while you are working on the one with a problem. When you disconnect the bomgar client, or if the pc is offline for more than 5 minutes the password is cleared. No broken activesync while the password is changed and the client never has to change and remember a new password. The session recordings are handy and easy to access. There is an easy shortcut to reboot into safe mode with networking and some other common tasks. Bomgar support is fantastic. There are some caveats. They use a seat based license model and an appliance at your datacenter. This is really expensive for small businesses. Longer recordings take a long time to access. Most of the features are never used, drawing tools, canned scripts, system info tab, smart card passthrough.

What were you using before?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

jaegerx posted:

Found this for you guys trying to get into linux,

https://linuxjourney.com

This is actually pretty good. I don't know why it's become popular for so many "Linux Training" institutions but I like how this one keeps it simple.

1000101 posted:

The pedantic bits of me want to point out that these aren't mainframe solutions.

Mainframes are pretty expensive and I normally only see secondary mainframes at financial services companies. I can totally see an airline only having one of these since.

Yea, technically IBM Power is "Midrange" and z/OS is "Mainframe" but I don't believe for a minute IBM hasn't come up with some kind of HA/DR Solution.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

We have an AS400 and there is definitely a HA/DR solution it's gently caress off expensive and you need to buy double the licensing to keep everything running. It's hot/hot not hot/cold.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

GreenNight posted:

We have an AS400 and there is definitely a HA/DR solution it's gently caress off expensive and you need to buy double the licensing to keep everything running. It's hot/hot not hot/cold.
You can definitely license for hot/cold. At least with the solution we use, which is mimix.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

adorai posted:

You can definitely license for hot/cold. At least with the solution we use, which is mimix.

Good to know. We spent alot of time on it and apparently IBM partners were not up to speed on everything available.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k
But mimix has been around for a while, those must be some bad partners

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

I wasn't too involved with the discussions but I'm guessing they wanted to sell their own solutions.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
I've spent the last 8 hours of work (not the last 8 hours, I mean my last 8 working hours) sketching out an inventory of what servers we have in various test environments and how they all interconnect to run our product.

This is so loving dry oh my god. How tedious. Probably 2 hours to go. Almost done. Finish line approaching.

:negative:

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

GreenNight posted:

I wasn't too involved with the discussions but I'm guessing they wanted to sell their own solutions.
aka bad partners

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Glad you're finally waking up bro :hfive:

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
[Insert good English here]

GreenNight posted:

poo poo costs money, man.

We use WS FTP Ad Hoc file transfer for files over 5 megs.

I'm late to the party, but ZendTo is pretty good for on-prem large file transfers.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

lampey posted:

There are a lot of things that Bomgar does that set it apart from the competitors. Bomgar has a great client for android for both controlling other PCs and for controlling a phone from a PC. Huge time savings to walk in a datacenter and connect to a server from your phone instead of a laptop. You can save the clients credentials through a reboot to automatically login without actually seeing or saving the password. This is really handy for troubleshooting office related issues. The client can log into another pc using their usual password while you are working on the one with a problem. When you disconnect the bomgar client, or if the pc is offline for more than 5 minutes the password is cleared. No broken activesync while the password is changed and the client never has to change and remember a new password. The session recordings are handy and easy to access. There is an easy shortcut to reboot into safe mode with networking and some other common tasks. Bomgar support is fantastic. There are some caveats. They use a seat based license model and an appliance at your datacenter. This is really expensive for small businesses. Longer recordings take a long time to access. Most of the features are never used, drawing tools, canned scripts, system info tab, smart card passthrough.

What were you using before?

Thanks for the opinion. We are using MS Remote Assistance (or MSSC CM Remote Control) for PCs on the LAN, anyone else has to physically bring their device to helpdesk or have a tech come by. I didn't know about the password saving, that's super handy. We do plan on hosting the appliance, no problem there, and we're resigned to two active seats at that price. Price goes up pretty quick as you add more seats, and we don't have a huge budget to throw at the solution.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
For a company our size and the systems that we support, we should currently have at least one more dba/applications support type role filled, as well as another helpdesk/admin type. We just put a posting out for the DBA position but of course that will take time to fill.

My (heavily technical) directors last day was Friday, and the replacement is non-technical and didn't sign up to be a technical manager. she was coming in to lead a specific migration and this got dumped on her her first week here so she is still getting the lay of the land.

We have a helpdesk guy that started 3 weeks ago so I'm having to train him in everything. Smart guy and gets it though, so that makes my life easier.

One other admin (only network person) is out for a week and a half, maybe longer due to surgery.

The other admin in the room, who is fairly competent, due to organizational *reasons* he can only work on a subset of our systems.

So I'm pretty much holding down the fort for a 350+ user company for the next few weeks.

This is fine.

I drat well better get my bonus.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

Sepist posted:

Its a seriously toxic environment, and they have revolving door issues in their tech departments.

source: am in portland, one of our tech recruiters is based out of seattle and works with Amazon on the regular.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k
I believe that. He said he was interviewed by a panel of 7 people and most of them had less than 6 months on the job experience. That pretty much validates what kind of environment it is.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

One major part of Amazon's work environment is how they still do stack ranking. That's an instant deal breaker for me no matter what company it is.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Dangling stocks and then firing before it fully vests is a pretty common tactic

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k

air- posted:

One major part of Amazon's work environment is how they still do stack ranking. That's an instant deal breaker for me no matter what company it is.

Bottom of the stack worker identified :smug:

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I was just contacted by one of their subsidiaries located in the NYC area. Gonna tell them sure, so long as I can work 100% remote and make Manhattan money.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k
Was it AWS? They're aggressively recruiting

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

First sanctioned WFH day tomorrow, I'm going to be able to WFH every friday from here on out, of course the client I do the most work for is taking down their VPN from 6am-12pm (probably longer because something will get hosed up). At least I have some small poo poo I can get done for the first few hours that won't require access to their network.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

DigitalMocking posted:

Its a seriously toxic environment, and they have revolving door issues in their tech departments.

source: am in portland, one of our tech recruiters is based out of seattle and works with Amazon on the regular.

How long until management recognizes they can't just keep firing everyone?

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

Tab8715 posted:

How long until management recognizes they can't just keep firing everyone?

At a company that never makes a profit? Never. Even if you replace Bezos, the guy that follows him will need to do something that makes numbers look good, which will mean staff layoffs until it's him and 12,000 people making seven dollars a year in inland China.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I just accepted an offer for a Systems Administrator job for $72k a year. Only took a month and a half, and a little over a dozen resumes sent out.

My last day at my current job is the 26th, and first day at the new job is September 6th.

After 5 years of watching other people :yotj: in these threads, I get to do it myself.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

The Fool posted:

I just accepted an offer for a Systems Administrator job for $72k a year. Only took a month and a half, and a little over a dozen resumes sent out.

My last day at my current job is the 26th, and first day at the new job is September 6th.

After 5 years of watching other people :yotj: in these threads, I get to do it myself.
Feels good, man.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I am setting up server monitoring for a team and they feel strongly that the default settings are inadequate.

So now I'm setting up a thing to send them emails whenever the server exceeds 60, 80, 90, 95, 98% use of memory, CPU, paging file, disk space, or network.

It's for several dozen servers that are going to see serious use.

I should just buy a siren that sits in their office and just blares all the time.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I am setting up server monitoring for a team and they feel strongly that the default settings are inadequate.

So now I'm setting up a thing to send them emails whenever the server exceeds 60, 80, 90, 95, 98% use of memory, CPU, paging file, disk space, or network.

It's for several dozen servers that are going to see serious use.

I should just buy a siren that sits in their office and just blares all the time.

After a week of constant alerts/emails/texts/whatever they will realize the error of their ways and come crawling back to you, or perhaps they are insane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k
Have any of you deployed Riverbed APM/NPM across your network? Just curious how people like it. I have to take some kind of certification for it because VARlife.txt but it actually seems pretty banging if you implement it completely.