Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

jackyl posted:

Curaçao was good when we went there years ago, but there was no Venezuela strife. You probably won't be able to find Polar beer easily but that was the only effect it had on Bonaire a few weeks ago that we noticed.

Ok, cool. I thought so, I just wanted some corroboration from someone who has been there recently.

jackyl posted:

Check out Westpunt, we really enjoyed staying there. And definitely take a day off to drive around the island and explore, it's pretty cool.

Yes, we'll be visiting Westpunt, but I've still got a ton of Hilton points to spend. In fact, I'll be cashing in JetBlue points for a free flight, too. Only going to have to pay for car rental, food, and diving.

Last time we didn't rent a car, and that was a huge mistake. There are so many awesome things you can drive to!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

Squashy Nipples posted:

Ok, cool. I thought so, I just wanted some corroboration from someone who has been there recently.

Yes, we'll be visiting Westpunt, but I've still got a ton of Hilton points to spend. In fact, I'll be cashing in JetBlue points for a free flight, too. Only going to have to pay for car rental, food, and diving.

Last time we didn't rent a car, and that was a huge mistake. There are so many awesome things you can drive to!

go west is where we got our OW and there's some good diving there. We stayed at kura hulanda and thought the shore diving was good, but I'm not looking at it the same way I probably would now. I will say kura hulanda is a great place to hang out for a day and sol food, if it's still the same, is a cool place to go at night. A couple from somewhere in the NE US said gently caress it and bought a place there, and basically grill and sell you beers from their fridge. It owns

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
Sol Food is so good. Limited hours though.

SuitcasePimp
Feb 27, 2005

lord1234 posted:

What's the best time to go to Roatan? My wife and I are thinking of going, but I am thinking it would be sometime this winter, perhaps in December.

Any thoughts?

Of the 3 times I've been there, the best weather/conditions have been in the spring (April). The other 2 times were at the end of Nov and beginning of Dec and while the diving was awesome, the weather was hit and miss. Thanksgiving week 2014 a huge storm came in and we missed the last 3 days of diving, everything was shut down and noone had power for a couple of days. It was fun in it's own way but we were there to dive you know? In Dec. 2011 a huge storm came in the day we were leaving, no flights were getting out and an incoming Delta plane basically buzzed the runway, decided it wasn't safe and diverted to Belize City. This was before the airport renovation so there were about 6 planes worth of people crammed in there for 16h. It really sucked, somehow we got on the only flight to leave that day by randomly being in line to talk to a gate agent at a different gate. They just let anyone w/ a ticket on the right airline bumrush on to the plane, it was a real shitshow.
So basically, that time of year has a potential for big storms based on these anecdotal data points. Our instructor there who has lived on the island his whole life said his favorite time diving wise is September, but its really hot and there is the occasional big storm in the form of a hurricane.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

Had a bit of an incident last weekend on a dive, thought I'd share it here just to get some feedback and hopefully to pass on the experience. It was a dive with my club, more experienced weekend so it was a 45m wreck dive (the Skaala on the south coast of England, beautiful wreck and definitely somewhere I want to go back to). Diving as a 3 since one of the trip members had to leave early and his wife was without a buddy. She was on a rebreather and me and the other buddy were on twin 12s. We got down to the wreck fine and started the dive, very early one I noticed she was behaving a bit oddly, fiddling with kit and was rolling around a bit doing so. I saw she had switched to her pony so swam over and pulled out my second stage to give to her. She didn't take it, fiddled with stuff a bit more, then went back to her main loop on the rebreather and signalled ok. We carried on the dive for a couple more minutes before I saw her go on to the pony again and swim over to our other buddy. After a short while she went on to his alternate and signalled up. He deployed a DSMB and we did our ascent. Part of the way up I took the reel off him as she was having some buoyancy issues with her rebreather due to it pumping in gas while the loop was closed off.

It turned out there was some problem wither CO2 scrubber, she had been getting progressively more breathless and had a headache. She had switched to her pony, felt better and thought it might have just been a stressful descent with current and the problem was in her head. Then discovered it wasn't. Breathing off a 3L pony at 45m meant she drained that in the few minutes she was on it and had no gas left to inflate her dry suit and was generally pretty freaked out. Luckily it wasn't something debilitating, we did all our deco stops and had plenty of gas.

Looking back I'm not sure if I should have been more insistent with getting her onto my air supply. I didn't basically because she's a more experienced diver and I figured she knew what she was doing (I know gently caress all about rebreathers). In retrospect it's obvious that she had a minimal back up supply, I had lots and she should have gone onto it straight away. We probably should have canned the dive then and there as well but it was the only dive we were doing that day (due to issues with the tides and not wanting a 5am start after a long day the day before) so she pushed herself. On the ascent part, I feel I definitely should have been more assertive and done the DSMB deployment since the other two were already doing an AS ascent. The reason why was they're both more experienced than me and it's not part of my agency's training. We train for buddy pair diving and it means that in that kind of situation there isn't really a system in place for when you have 3 divers. It seems obvious in retrospect but with a minor incident, one freaked out diver and the possibility of complicating things by jumping in while people are trying to do a couple of things I hung back. Over all it wasn't a disaster, we were all well within safe distance of each other, things remained under control and we got up safely and well controlled but I can't help feeling things could have been done better.

We did follow this up by managing to lose a shot weight and a load of rope while nearly flooding our RIB completely on the attempted recovery (shot drifted and the rope got entangled on the wreck so it wasn't long enough for high tide. While recovering the rope got twisted around our prop and we were back on to the waves so they were all pouring into the boat. We just dumped everything, let the rope run off and managed to drain the boat). All in all a weekend to remind me that for all the disasters you can have with trainees and novices experienced divers can manage to get into just as many disasters. Some good dives at least!

Cippalippus
Mar 31, 2007

Out for a ride, chillin out w/ a couple of friends. Going to be back for dinner
That "problem" with the CO2 scrubber is the reason why I don't want to try rebreathers. I prefer to know without doubts (or with less doubts) what kind of air I'm breathing.

On that note, a couple of years ago a few divers, if I remember correctly four, died because of carbon monoxide poisoning here in Italy; a faulty air filter and the air intake of the compressor being to close to the boat's engine exhaust meant an high CO concentration. Even small concentrations are dangerous if there's a constant exposure, which is guaranteed when diving.
After that tragedy happened a lot of people have bought CO analyzers; I haven't, but even I always check where is the compressor and where is its air intake when I fill my tank.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Holy poo poo, I guess I never thought about what you'd inflate your dry suit with when using a rebreather... It must be the breathing mix, because filling your suit with O2 would be an enormous fire hazard once you were out of the water.

Anyway, anyone in here ever buy a custom made Carapace wetsuit?
http://www.carapacewetsuits.com/

I just ordered one, I'll let you guys know how it goes.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

Squashy Nipples posted:

Holy poo poo, I guess I never thought about what you'd inflate your dry suit with when using a rebreather... It must be the breathing mix, because filling your suit with O2 would be an enormous fire hazard once you were out of the water.

Rebreather divers need to have some sort of bail out in case of exactly the kind of problem she suffered. Makes sense to have that for suit inflation as well as air is considerably cheaper than O2. They have a diluent cylinder as well (breathing gas to mix with the O2) but that's usually very small, like 1L as it's just added to compensate for gas compression.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Many people here will use a separate argon bottle for drysuit inflation. Argon is pretty cheap, but you can also fill it with air and save a bit as well.

It's especially important if you're breathing a mix with helium in it.

Boot and Rally
Apr 21, 2006

8===D
Nap Ghost
Apparently all the places where you can learn to dive in my area require you buy mask, fins, gloves, snorkel and boots. How do I, as someone who has never dived (diven?) before, purchase this gear and not get ripped off or end up with something I hate?

E: How much should I expect to spend on top of the $400 for the class?

Boot and Rally fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Aug 7, 2016

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Boot and Rally posted:

Apparently all the places where you can learn to dive in my area require you buy mask, fins, gloves, snorkel and boots. How do I, as someone who has never dived (diven?) before, purchase this gear and not get ripped off or end up with something I hate?

Fins is a bit unusual, but not unheard of. The rest of those are highly personal items that you want to own, anyway... it would be like renting used underwear. Rentals of small items would be a money-losing proposition for most shops, so instead they make a little money by making you buy them. Trust me here, they aren't trying to rip you off; it's for the best.

Shops that are looking out for their newbies generally sell them reasonably priced stuff, ie good bang for the buck. Good enough not to be lovely quality, but not so good that you are wasting money on something that you may only use like 6 times. If you wear out your newbie equipment, congrats, it's time to buy expensive gear. Some folks in here might disagree with this, but as long as your shop is looking to turn you into a long term customer, I would go with the flow and buy what they sell you.

As for prices, maybe:
$50-$125 for mask and snorkel
$25-$40 for gloves
$25-$40 for boots
$30-$50 for a hood

Zauper
Aug 21, 2008

Boot and Rally posted:

In my area (just got certified), we had to buy mask/fins/boots/snorkel, but not gloves. But -- they allow you to return those items at full price for an exchange within 30 days of completing the OW certification. We wound up spending like $300 apiece on top of the class costs for the gear.

Also -- yay, newly certified. We're going to Australia on our honeymoon in a few months, really looking forward to it.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

I have decided that I love macro photography, it's easy and so much fun :-) Also, I'm overdue for my regular message that cold water is not so bad!

These pics are from Carmel and Monterey, in Northern California. I am incredibly fortunate to be able to live so close to such wonderful diving, and if any of you folks are in the neighborhood I'd love to show you around.

China Rockfish, one of my favorites

Blue-ring topsnail (Calliostoma annulatum). These guys look like little gems, if I'm rigged for macro I have a hard time resisting getting a picture.

Chestnut cowrie. Just goes to show that cowries aren't exclusive to warm water :-)

These are really interesting, this is a "tuna crab" but is actually a squat lobster (Pleuroncodes planipes). This is actually the first time I've seen them in Northern California, and they're in Monterey Bay en masse. People around here are blaming El Nino, which I suppose is possible. When I saw them before in San Diego I was told they seldom make it that far north... in any case, they're free swimming and super cool looking.

My all time favorite nudibranch, Hermissenda crassicornis. These guys are gaudy, and beautiful, and I love seeing them. They were out in force this weekend, which was nice to see. I hadn't seen a big group in a while.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Zauper posted:

In my area (just got certified), we had to buy mask/fins/boots/snorkel, but not gloves. But -- they allow you to return those items at full price for an exchange within 30 days of completing the OW certification. We wound up spending like $300 apiece on top of the class costs for the gear.

A good mask and fins will last a really long time. I'm still diving with the fins I got certified in, although they're starting to finally show their age. It's a lot of money, but a longer term investment (at least if you continue to dive)

Gloves and boots wear out a lot faster in my experience.

lord1234
Oct 1, 2008

DeadlyMuffin posted:

A good mask and fins will last a really long time. I'm still diving with the fins I got certified in, although they're starting to finally show their age. It's a lot of money, but a longer term investment (at least if you continue to dive)

Gloves and boots wear out a lot faster in my experience.

I go through a pair of gloves once a year at most. I dive dry, so don't know about boots. I am diving 40 year old Scubapro Jet Fins.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

lord1234 posted:

I go through a pair of gloves once a year at most. I dive dry, so don't know about boots. I am diving 40 year old Scubapro Jet Fins.

I dive dry too, and now that I have dry gloves they last a lot longer. I've worn out the rock boots in my drysuit though.

Jet fins are super popular with the tech/DIR crowd around here, but I've never cared for them personally. I am a little bummed my fins are starting to show their age, but if I get 500+ dives out of them it's hard to complain.

I've never had a problem with my back-kick, which is the big selling point I've heard.

lord1234
Oct 1, 2008

DeadlyMuffin posted:

I dive dry too, and now that I have dry gloves they last a lot longer. I've worn out the rock boots in my drysuit though.

Jet fins are super popular with the tech/DIR crowd around here, but I've never cared for them personally. I am a little bummed my fins are starting to show their age, but if I get 500+ dives out of them it's hard to complain.

I've never had a problem with my back-kick, which is the big selling point I've heard.

Also help with balancing your rig since they are reasonably heavy.

--A GUE diver.

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
We're going to take a short dive trip to key west in early September. We're thinking about doing a dive charter to the Dry Tortugas or not diving there and just taking the seaplane to check it out.

We've been all over the keys and dove most of it, but never the Dry Tortugas. So anyone that's been there and dove, let me know if it's worth it or not, please. Also if you're interested in splitting a charter out there in early September pm me.

let it mellow fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Aug 10, 2016

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

lord1234 posted:

Also help with balancing your rig since they are reasonably heavy.

--A GUE diver.

Yeah, I took fundies and they had conniptions when I had much worse trim with jet fins or ankle weights. My big gripe is that GUE is so insistent that one size fits all.

lord1234
Oct 1, 2008

DeadlyMuffin posted:

Yeah, I took fundies and they had conniptions when I had much worse trim with jet fins or ankle weights. My big gripe is that GUE is so insistent that one size fits all.

Definitely untrue. At least untrue of the GUE of today. I've been diving with GUE for nearly a decade, so I've seen it change quite a bit. Some people are foot heavy, and need a different fin. I know a friend who dives in Hollis F2's since he can trim out better in them.

Bangkero
Dec 28, 2005

I baptize thee
not in the name of the father
but in the name of the devil.
The slipsteam, turtle, jet, and XT fins are all variants of the same style of fins that provides fantastic maneuverability underwater. The OMS slipstreams have long been the lighter alternative to the heavier jet fins for as long as I can remember.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Speaking of dry suits, I'm still saving my pennies for a custom one. A friend of mine suggested a p-valve or a crotch zipper... what did you guys get on your drysuits? If you have neither, has it ever been a problem?

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

lord1234 posted:

Definitely untrue. At least untrue of the GUE of today.

I'm betting it's regional. I was told "that's not the uniform" on the last GUE dive I did. It wasn't super aggressive or anything, but my fins are pointed out every time.

Squashy Nipples posted:

Speaking of dry suits, I'm still saving my pennies for a custom one. A friend of mine suggested a p-valve or a crotch zipper... what did you guys get on your drysuits? If you have neither, has it ever been a problem?

I'm a lady so the options are a bit... more limited. I've been fine, I just make an effort to pee before every dive. I have cut short dives due to a full bladder, but it's very rare. There are apparently people who instantly feel like they have to pee as soon as they're in the water, so if you're like that it may be more of a necessity.

DeadlyMuffin fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Aug 10, 2016

lord1234
Oct 1, 2008

DeadlyMuffin posted:

I'm betting it's regional. I was told "that's not the uniform" on the last GUE dive I did. It wasn't super aggressive or anything, but my fins are pointed out every time.

I'm a lady so the options are a bit... more limited. I've been fine, I just make an effort to pee before every dive. I have cut short dives due to a full bladder, but it's very rare. There are apparently people who instantly feel like they have to pee as soon as they're in the water, so if you're like that it may be more of a necessity.

Definitely not by an instructor. There definitely are old GUE divers out there still preaching the GI3 gospel, but I know the instruction has come quite a long way. What part of the country do you live in?

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

lord1234 posted:

Definitely not by an instructor. There definitely are old GUE divers out there still preaching the GI3 gospel, but I know the instruction has come quite a long way. What part of the country do you live in?

Yes, I got grief from an instructor about my fins. I tried them (he insisted) and they were obviously worse for me than my regular ones. Even after that, it was brought up over and over. Afterwards I actually asked about fins for potential tech training and was told jet fins weren't in the standard, so he was apparently aware, but very very strongly pushed them.

The uniform comment was not an instructor.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that popping off with "definitely untrue" and "definitely not an instructor" with pretty much zero background makes you come off poorly. I know GUE takes a lot of grief, but sometimes it is legitimate, and categorically dismissing it just leads to more ill will.

I don't have a huge bone to pick with GUE. Of the four people in the fundies class I was the only one who passed ("strong pass" was the phrase used iirc). But a huge part of the training I got was focused on the one correct way to rig gear, including fins. It was absolutely presented as a one-size-fits-all rig, and that just doesn't work for me. I'd love to do tech some day, so maybe I'll bite the bullet in the future.

I'm in the San Francisco bay area.

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

Bangkero posted:

The slipsteam, turtle, jet, and XT fins are all variants of the same style of fins that provides fantastic maneuverability underwater. The OMS slipstreams have long been the lighter alternative to the heavier jet fins for as long as I can remember.

I checked out the OMS slipstreams but even they seemed heavy for travel diving. Want to upgrade from my splits to something that I can wear with real boots (would have made entries in Bonaire a shitton easier :lol:). But just haven't picked one yet. I'll probably buy a set at divers direct in key west, I suppose.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

jackyl posted:

I checked out the OMS slipstreams but even they seemed heavy for travel diving. Want to upgrade from my splits to something that I can wear with real boots (would have made entries in Bonaire a shitton easier :lol:). But just haven't picked one yet. I'll probably buy a set at divers direct in key west, I suppose.

I really love the idea of Force Fins just for size and weight in this regard but I really don't think I can justify the cost knowing I'd have to dedicate quite a few dives to getting comfortable with them AND possibly finding I just don't like them. Mares Quattros do pretty well (and are at least a ton lighter than Jet fins or slipstreams).

I'd also say when it comes to diving it's safe to bet 'no-one would ever tell you that' is bullshit. I've been told by high level BSAC instructors that long hose rigs are a death sentence and that computers are terrible and you were much better off without them. In fairness the latter comment was largely because they could get longer bottom times with careful manipulation of the tables and found it difficult to read their computer when diving after a dozen Guinnesses the night before.

Regarding tech training, I've done an intro course with a TDI instructor and their course seemed fairly sensible. The instructor was really good too, heard good things about TDI generally and they seem like they have a better sense of being flexible about equipment. I'll probably end up doing my training through BSAC just because the courses are soooo much cheaper but I'm kind of relying on word of mouth for instructors who know their poo poo. Heard a story about one instructor for an Accelerated Decompression course that knew the course material but didn't actually know what helicopter finning was (he was using his arms to help spin himself apparently)

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
I've been looking at the quattros, but want to see them in person.

SuitcasePimp
Feb 27, 2005

DeadlyMuffin posted:

I have decided that I love macro photography, it's easy and so much fun :-) Also, I'm overdue for my regular message that cold water is not so bad!

These are awesome! What did you shoot them with?

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Thank you!

I use an Olympus E-PL6, with a 30mm macro lens and a couple of Sea&Sea YS-01 flashes. It's a nice compact setup, and I'm super happy with it. The 45mm or even 60mm macro lenses are a bit more popular, but with the 30mm I can get nice fish portraits in addition to the tiny stuff.

I shot a Canon S95 with a wet wide angle until pretty recently, and while I miss the versatility of being able to switch lenses underwater, I could not be happier with the quality of the camera.

I'm still trying to figure out what kind of wide angle setup to use with this camera. Once I do I'll post a few more pictures.

pupdive
Jun 13, 2012

DeadlyMuffin posted:

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that popping off with "definitely untrue" and "definitely not an instructor" with pretty much zero background makes you come off poorly. I know GUE takes a lot of grief, but sometimes it is legitimate, and categorically dismissing it just leads to more ill will.

I don't have a huge bone to pick with GUE. Of the four people in the fundies class I was the only one who passed ("strong pass" was the phrase used iirc). But a huge part of the training I got was focused on the one correct way to rig gear, including fins. It was absolutely presented as a one-size-fits-all rig, and that just doesn't work for me. I'd love to do tech some day, so maybe I'll bite the bullet in the future.

Don't bother fighting against GUE to get training, even if they think you are a good diver who just needs to figure out that their choices are better.

There are better agencies for tech training for most people, because there are agencies that simply have been doing it longer and no longer feel the need to tell people how to act, and focus on teaching people how to dive.

Your experience is not at all unusual. GUE people are (unforunately) regularly self-important divers and instructors who don't get that plenty of people walked the same path they are just starting walking and found other things simply work better.

And yet when you point that out they get defensive and tell you that you are the one that is under-informed, or mis-informed, or all of the other knee-jerk reactions that GUE people seem to have to differences in opinions.

There are far more experienced people than GUE people. Most have come to pretty different conclusions about things. Some have come to similar conclusions about things in some cases, but know better than to think that one approach fits everywhere.

pupdive fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Aug 11, 2016

Bangkero
Dec 28, 2005

I baptize thee
not in the name of the father
but in the name of the devil.

jackyl posted:

Yeah, unfortunately all of those style of fins are heavy out of water. By light, I meant for weighting underwater - the OMS slipstream is positive buoyant while the jet fins are negative buoyant. I'm sure you'll find a decent pair of fins in Key West - there are plenty of lighter open-heel alternatives.

SuitcasePimp
Feb 27, 2005

DeadlyMuffin posted:

Thank you!

I use an Olympus E-PL6, with a 30mm macro lens and a couple of Sea&Sea YS-01 flashes. It's a nice compact setup, and I'm super happy with it. The 45mm or even 60mm macro lenses are a bit more popular, but with the 30mm I can get nice fish portraits in addition to the tiny stuff.

I shot a Canon S95 with a wet wide angle until pretty recently, and while I miss the versatility of being able to switch lenses underwater, I could not be happier with the quality of the camera.

I'm still trying to figure out what kind of wide angle setup to use with this camera. Once I do I'll post a few more pictures.

drat, that is inspiring! I just got the housing for my E-PL5 last winter but only took it diving once, now I need to get some lighting. I do love how it performs on land, for the price and size it brings a lot to the table. Anyone have an opinion on starting with a single strobe before going to 2 or just going all in? I know there would be some limitations with 1 strobe but is there any benefit to incrementally introducing complexity?

SuitcasePimp
Feb 27, 2005

Over the past couple of years my wife and I have been on a path of downsizing our lives and preparing to leave the corporate world, hopefully ending up somewhere warm where can work as instructors. To further that goal we sold our house along with most of our stuff and moved to Key Largo! Been here a month and loving it so far, the diving is not the best I have experienced but it's still pretty awesome considering it's now a 5 minute drive away.
And diving with no wet suit is SO NICE :smug:

We are going to do our DM training in a few months but in the mean time we are diving every chance we can get. So if any of you people find yourself in the Keys, maybe we can go diving and catch a sunset!

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

SuitcasePimp posted:

drat, that is inspiring! I just got the housing for my E-PL5 last winter but only took it diving once, now I need to get some lighting. I do love how it performs on land, for the price and size it brings a lot to the table. Anyone have an opinion on starting with a single strobe before going to 2 or just going all in? I know there would be some limitations with 1 strobe but is there any benefit to incrementally introducing complexity?

I have an epl5 with the housing and a single top mount strobe. I like it a lot by with the original lens but at this point... The GoPro I bought my wife last year with a red filter does just as good.

Now I've taken some good pictures with it. I think Belize in my posts here were the first ones after the cheap point and shoot, and I've gotten better but have a few trips to still post.

I actually think it's going to show up much better with fisheye or macro and I haven't decided which one to go with next. The lens cost doesn't really bug me, it's screwing with the housing that does.

lord1234
Oct 1, 2008

SuitcasePimp posted:

Over the past couple of years my wife and I have been on a path of downsizing our lives and preparing to leave the corporate world, hopefully ending up somewhere warm where can work as instructors. To further that goal we sold our house along with most of our stuff and moved to Key Largo! Been here a month and loving it so far, the diving is not the best I have experienced but it's still pretty awesome considering it's now a 5 minute drive away.
And diving with no wet suit is SO NICE :smug:

We are going to do our DM training in a few months but in the mean time we are diving every chance we can get. So if any of you people find yourself in the Keys, maybe we can go diving and catch a sunset!

You are living my dream man. Living my dream

SuitcasePimp
Feb 27, 2005

jackyl posted:

I actually think it's going to show up much better with fisheye or macro and I haven't decided which one to go with next. The lens cost doesn't really bug me, it's screwing with the housing that does.

If you have the PT-EP10 housing you should be able to use the Olympus 60mm macro with the standard port!
http://www.bluewaterphotostore.com/Olympus-EPL5-Housing

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

SuitcasePimp posted:

If you have the PT-EP10 housing you should be able to use the Olympus 60mm macro with the standard port!
http://www.bluewaterphotostore.com/Olympus-EPL5-Housing

Huh, thought I had to change ports for either fisheye or macro. Guess I will be getting the macro lens now, thanks!

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

jackyl posted:

Huh, thought I had to change ports for either fisheye or macro. Guess I will be getting the macro lens now, thanks!

Be a little bit cautious: the 60mm macro has a tiny FOV. Something like a fish portrait would be really difficult due to the working distance. I'd recommend the 30mm or 45mm (with a macro port) over the 60mm for that reason. Screwing with the housing really isn't bad, I switch between ports without any issues. Or you could just stick with one port. I dive with the 30mm lens and macro port ~90% of the time.

http://www.bluewaterphotostore.com/zen-45mm-port-olympus-pen this port will work with either the 30mm or the 45mm. The stock port works too (I think, didn't try) but this lets you get the flashes a bit closer to the camera body.

SuitcasePimp posted:

Strobes aren't cheap, so I dove with one until I upgraded my rig recently. The benefit of a second strobe is the ability to avoid harsher shadows, but there's no reason not to increment. Plus a single strobe keeps the overall camera rig small, which is great (and is the biggest reason I don't dive with a DSLR). I love the ys-01, and I'd stick with something that does TTL.

DeadlyMuffin fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Aug 17, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

DeadlyMuffin posted:

Be a little bit cautious: the 60mm macro has a tiny FOV. Something like a fish portrait would be really difficult due to the working distance. I'd recommend the 30mm or 45mm (with a macro port) over the 60mm for that reason. Screwing with the housing really isn't bad, I switch between ports without any issues. Or you could just stick with one port. I dive with the 30mm lens and macro port ~90% of the time.

http://www.bluewaterphotostore.com/zen-45mm-port-olympus-pen this port will work with either the 30mm or the 45mm. The stock port works too (I think, didn't try) but this lets you get the flashes a bit closer to the camera body.

Strobes aren't cheap, so I dove with one until I upgraded my rig recently. The benefit of a second strobe is the ability to avoid harsher shadows, but there's no reason not to increment. Plus a single strobe keeps the overall camera rig small, which is great (and is the biggest reason I don't dive with a DSLR). I love the ys-01, and I'd stick with something that does TTL.

Thanks for this too! I've got the urge to do something different on the keys trip and the 45mm recommendation you just made probably wins it. Keys diving doesn't have the visibility of our usual trips so macro is better than fisheye for the immediate trip anyway. Probably still sticking with the single strobe for now. We'll see.