Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It's going to be so tragic when he dies horribly at the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Stop being mean to Laphicet, he's a good boy.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Well technically everybody's going to die in the end. Unless that one guy really is Zaveid pre-seraphim

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe

Caphi posted:

Stop being mean to Laphicet, he's a good boy.

Which will make it all that more tragic when he dies.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I'm gonna be so hosed up when Yoko Taro appears in the opening cutscene and tells me he wrote this game.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]

RareAcumen posted:

I'm gonna be so hosed up when Yoko Taro appears in the opening cutscene and tells me he wrote this game.

Surprise! the cameo battle is actually just the Party of 3 from Nier plus Caim.

Also, I am replaying through Graces and I definitely liking it a lot more now that I'm doing NG+ Chaos

OneDeadman fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Aug 10, 2016

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

RareAcumen posted:

'and also my wife designed the characters'

*smash cut to taiko drummaster version of BURN*

ruta
Apr 21, 2010

Look at this snail.

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Thanks for the information. The weapon is called Decrepit Staff in the English version.

I haven't really been doing much skill stacking or Lord-of-the-Land blessing stuff because both of those things are very grindy. I'm only playing on Normal because this is my first Tales game and Normal has at least allowed me to mostly ignore the painful equipment system. I don't seem to have Burn Step unlocked yet either. I think I might be able to swing 11 of the same type of skill. Is that spread out over many different pieces of equipment or on some kind of Item +11 that I've fused 11 times?

On the bright side, I just beat the second Cameo Boss (Jade Curtiss) with only one death thanks to Mikleo's cast speed carrying over into armitization, letting me spam Maelstrom. Even got positive grade from it thanks to finishing them off with a mystic arte.

If you got past the cameo boss, you probably aren't doing that badly. For the casting bonus, you need 11 of the same skill and it does need to be across your gear. I think you have 16 skill slots overall, if I recall correctly, for all your gear, so getting 11 to match is pretty difficult, though very gratifying with respect to reward. The first skill is effectively locked, so you actually really only have 12 slots to work with. I think the unnamed rings don't have any locked skills, so you can stack 4 on the rings, and that's what I used to do. Note that a skill being doubled or tripled will still count as one for all stacking bonuses (there is a new game plus bonus to change that, too). If you do get into gear and stuff, though, I can give lots of information about it! I spent a fair amount of time with it! Even with all my griping, I'm still a pretty big fan of Zestiria (at least more than most people, it seems). I'd even play it a third time if I could get my save file over to PC to enjoy it in glorious 60 FPS. I just don't have it in me to regrind all my blessings and other nonsense.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I truly believe, whatever you think of everything else about it, Zestiria is the grindiest Tales game released to date. There's so much to grind and so little that doesn't somehow come back to efficiently grinding GRADE or equipment drops.

I guess some people enjoyed messing with the skill fusion system, but the first thing they said about the weapon system in Berseria was "we're not making it complicated anymore. If you go through the game and just pick up new equipment, you'll be fine."

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Endorph posted:

'and also my wife designed the characters'

*smash cut to taiko drummaster version of BURN*

*Cutesy children's cartoon animation of Laphicet falling off a roof as Magilou cracks jokes.*

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Caphi posted:

I truly believe, whatever you think of everything else about it, Zestiria is the grindiest Tales game released to date. There's so much to grind and so little that doesn't somehow come back to efficiently grinding GRADE or equipment drops.

The idea that you could sanctify a weapon after ten upgrades, which then need 10 more upgrades on a new weapon to get the sanctified 1 to level 2 was when I realized that I wasn't just confused with the system and that it was actually just broken.

ruta
Apr 21, 2010

Look at this snail.

Caphi posted:

I'm still on the fence between Graces Wii and Zestiria being more grindy. It's true that I felt the need to grind more in Zestiria than Graces Wii, but it's also true that I felt like I did eventually reach a point of being able to properly manage all my gear and skills in Zestiria. Like, I reached a pinnacle or something. In Graces Wii, I never got all the titles. Indeed, I basically just gave up trying to get a good quarter or maybe even a third of all the titles in Graces Wii. I just couldn't grind enough to get them. It was impossible. And I'm pretty good at grinding.

So I'm really not sure which is more grindy.

Both had kind of wonky gear systems, though. I mean, Zestiria's system was basically Graces with more slots and they didn't let you combine different pieces of gear. And really, that last detail was where they royally mucked up, in my opinion. I guess it's good that they're going back to something simpler, though, because I heard a few people complaining even about the system in Graces. I think it hit the prefect beat in Graeces myself, but oh well.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Honestly, I still think the worst thing about Z's equipment (since you can technically play without caring about fusion, though you'll lose control over a lot of important mechanics like Exceed and Blast) is that it means there is no such thing as a unique weapon, or even a good new weapon. Any given equipment from a chest is a letdown, since it's just an instance of leveled loot; even if it's a new one, it's potentially destroying Bonus Skills, and if you are gaming the skill system, it's probably shittier than what you're getting from random battles. So chests are pointless in Zestiria, which means the one-deep exploration is as shallow as that and there's no point going into the copypaste dungeons other than an HP orb or a Memory.

Meanwhile, you can never ever have something like the Eternal Sword/Gungnir/Last Fencer/Material Blades/Dein Nomos, or the equivalent armors (say, the endgame color armors from Graces), or the logo weapons. Berseria at least supports those since random skills are probably not as crucial and you can put some good/unique base skills on it.

ruta posted:

Both had kind of wonky gear systems, though. I mean, Zestiria's system was basically Graces with more slots and they didn't let you combine different pieces of gear. And really, that last detail was where they royally mucked up, in my opinion. I guess it's good that they're going back to something simpler, though, because I heard a few people complaining even about the system in Graces. I think it hit the prefect beat in Graeces myself, but oh well.

Dualization is better because the item skills are not interdependent, which means you can equip a cool new sword without having to restart the entire build process. You might still lose something you wanted like an Anti property or Rise, but what you see is what you get.

Grinding for titles (also in Xillia) is, at least, something that happens on its own. If you want the top-end ones of each then yeah it's a lot of grinding but you get plenty to go on just by playing. And hell, you don't even get credit for unlocking new titles in Zestiria, you then have to sink your character levels into them (yes, Graces has SP, which is a lot less opaque and less of a pain in several ways). Also I don't think Graces ever advertised "infinite playtime," nor do I think most games factor poo poo like that into even their "do everything" playtime estimates, but you can correct me on that.

Now, Soul Orbs are dumb, I keep saying Graces should have had Definite Strikes. Berseria feels perfect for Definite Strikes, actually.

Caphi fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Aug 10, 2016

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
I join all the complaints about how annoying the equipment system in Zesty is. It just relies way too much on random drops matching the exact type with the exact name. That's why I've cheerfully been ignoring it all game without even noticing.

One really annoying part is that Zesty does indeed seem to have unique weapons, which is actually terrible because you can never find a second one like it for fusion.

ruta posted:

If you got past the cameo boss, you probably aren't doing that badly. For the casting bonus, you need 11 of the same skill and it does need to be across your gear. I think you have 16 skill slots overall, if I recall correctly, for all your gear, so getting 11 to match is pretty difficult, though very gratifying with respect to reward. The first skill is effectively locked, so you actually really only have 12 slots to work with. I think the unnamed rings don't have any locked skills, so you can stack 4 on the rings, and that's what I used to do. Note that a skill being doubled or tripled will still count as one for all stacking bonuses (there is a new game plus bonus to change that, too). If you do get into gear and stuff, though, I can give lots of information about it! I spent a fair amount of time with it! Even with all my griping, I'm still a pretty big fan of Zestiria (at least more than most people, it seems). I'd even play it a third time if I could get my save file over to PC to enjoy it in glorious 60 FPS. I just don't have it in me to regrind all my blessings and other nonsense.

120 hours into the game, and just now I noticed that hey, some artes hit certain enemy weaknesses! ARGH

:negative:

On the bright side though, with just the gear I have on hand, I can get to a stack of 7 of the +10% wind damage skills, and from there I could probably use Wind Normin in the last dungeon which has a Lord-of-the-Land (Aroundight forest) to scrounge up some rings and hats to fuse with the "anything goes" gear.

I think my problem might be that I'm worrying too much about the stats the items give me instead of the skills. But for best results, should I be basically ignoring the stats and worrying more about the skills it gives?

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

I join all the complaints about how annoying the equipment system in Zesty is. It just relies way too much on random drops matching the exact type with the exact name. That's why I've cheerfully been ignoring it all game without even noticing.

I still feel like I misunderstood that system. They really expected you to grind enemies with specific drops, pray you even get the right piece of equipment, hope to god it has the skill you want, AND that it's in the right slot? Really?

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

I give Sakuraba poo poo for his music sounding very similar but I will say I still like his Tales soundtracks most of the time.

His Zestiria tunes are ok. The dungeon songs made me feel like I really was exploring ancient ruins even if all of the ruins are copy/paste.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

ruta posted:

I'm still on the fence between Graces Wii and Zestiria being more grindy. It's true that I felt the need to grind more in Zestiria than Graces Wii, but it's also true that I felt like I did eventually reach a point of being able to properly manage all my gear and skills in Zestiria. Like, I reached a pinnacle or something. In Graces Wii, I never got all the titles. Indeed, I basically just gave up trying to get a good quarter or maybe even a third of all the titles in Graces Wii. I just couldn't grind enough to get them. It was impossible. And I'm pretty good at grinding.

Idk, unless the PS3 version got a major overhaul, you get all the titles you need through just normally playing or doing sidequests and the other titles were mostly proportional to how esoteric the actual requirements were.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013

Last Celebration posted:

Idk, unless the PS3 version got a major overhaul, you get all the titles you need through just normally playing or doing sidequests and the other titles were mostly proportional to how esoteric the actual requirements were.

It did get a major overhaul.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]

voltcatfish posted:

I give Sakuraba poo poo for his music sounding very similar but I will say I still like his Tales soundtracks most of the time.

His Zestiria tunes are ok. The dungeon songs made me feel like I really was exploring ancient ruins even if all of the ruins are copy/paste.

yeah Sakuraba's Tales tracks are not bad per se, they are just mostly unmemorable and something that I wouldn't listen to outside of the context of the game.

I think the only Sakuraba Tales soundtrack that I can remember some of off the top of my head is Xillia 2, but that's probably because of the whole Hymn of Proof leitmotif.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
The music from the elemental dungeons in Zestiria was by the Legendia people right? It sounds like that.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Samurai Sanders posted:

The music from the elemental dungeons in Zestiria was by the Legendia people right? It sounds like that.

go shiina, the composer on legendia, composed a bunch of tracks for zestiria and that includes the elemental dungeon tracks

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

is there a list of which songs weer shiina joints and which were sakuraba? with the temple themes it's incredibly obvious but idk if zaveid's theme is

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]

Endorph posted:

is there a list of which songs weer shiina joints and which were sakuraba? with the temple themes it's incredibly obvious but idk if zaveid's theme is

Here's how to tell if it's a Go Shiina song:
Is bombastic as gently caress with violins(specifically that one violin sting) and/or vocals underneath? Go Shiina
Is it generally kinda odd? Probably Go Shiina

Real Answer:
There's a playlist with them all

Also Zaveid's Theme is totally Shiina

OneDeadman fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Aug 11, 2016

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Let's find out all the good things about Zestiria.

1. The soundtrack
2. The Tiamat battle
3. Zavied's casting lines ("You may feel a slight numbness..." "This one's for you, Rose...")

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

1 week left!

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Not all that important or on-topic but this upcoming game looks a lot like a Tales game, check it out if you're interested.

Eddain
May 6, 2007

The red guy with the sword straight up did the Tempest move.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i'm very excited for akiba's beat, because the game it is a successor to, akiba's trip, is a very funny and excellently translated game that just also happened to possess the worst possible iteration on way of the samurai combat known to man. i'm very interested in a sequel that can have all of the fun parts while also not looking ugly as hell and having rpg gameplay a human being can enjoy

Talkc
Aug 2, 2010

Mizuki! Mizuki! Mizuki!
***DEVASTATINGLY HANDSOME***
Just picked up the Epilogue DLC for Tales of Zestiria. Anything i should know before jumping in the deep end?

To be clear ive beaten the main game.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yeah, you shouldn't have bothered

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Talkc posted:

Just picked up the Epilogue DLC for Tales of Zestiria. Anything i should know before jumping in the deep end?

Lailah picked up an arte which takes a while to get in the first game, Lightning Blast, so you might as well give that a try for a little bit, but other than that there's no point playing anything but Alicia (because you can play the other characters in the main game). Alicia cannot armatize, so you'll have to get over your main-game habit of not using Life Bottles and gels in battle. You also cannot use the elemental field actions. There are not many herbs to be had, so your SC will keep going down the farther you get into the deep dungeon, but I think snacks can help with that. The final dungeon is way too long and tedious and actually has some things which make it even more annoying than the standard dungeon.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

The last time I bought a game because it was like a Tales game was Mimana Iyar Chronicle and I'm loathe to make that mistake again.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Talkc posted:

You get a boring dungeon with boring gameplay and basically no resolution.

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013

There's no reliable way to get more Melon Gels (temporarily increase maximum health), right?

There is- you get new items in shops if you buy/sell stuff there, and it's also one of the more reliable way to increase lord of the lands levels. I'm not sure which shop in specific sells Melon gels, but pretty sure some do.

ruta posted:

Graces forced me to grind more simply because you get Artes faster if you grind titles. Furthermore, if you want to play Chaos on your first playthrough, good luck without extreme grinding of titles. Zestiria is usually more forgiving for grinding, as while otpimum stuff takes a poo poo load of time (especially on first playthrough) you also get a lot of the skills you want to grind for with specific items, so it's easy to just get a minmum of the 'good' skills and declare 'enough'.

One really annoying part is that Zesty does indeed seem to have unique weapons, which is actually terrible because you can never find a second one like it for fusion.
yup :-(

quote:

On the bright side though, with just the gear I have on hand, I can get to a stack of 7 of the +10% wind damage skills, and from there I could probably use Wind Normin in the last dungeon which has a Lord-of-the-Land (Aroundight forest) to scrounge up some rings and hats to fuse with the "anything goes" gear.

I think my problem might be that I'm worrying too much about the stats the items give me instead of the skills. But for best results, should I be basically ignoring the stats and worrying more about the skills it gives?
After a certain point in the game, Skill > Stats, though a perverse thing is that the bigger your stats are the more stats you gain per levels, so there is an incentive to have good stats while levelling. OTOH stat-giving herbs are super common and it's easy to bootstrap specific characters with those.

Getting a Mystic (-40% cast time) with all your seraph is super tempting, though it's quite hard. I am pretty sure there is a Wind% ring though, so a ring with full Wind on itself is an easy 4, then you only need two pieces of gears with three of them. Well, 'only'.

Arkeus fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Aug 11, 2016

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Talkc posted:

rose and alisha argue, then rose starts hitting on alisha, then you go through the worst dungeon in the game

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I really need to play that DLC since I tend to love dungeons that everyone else hates and it's been played up to be super reviled.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Phantasium posted:

I really need to play that DLC since I tend to love dungeons that everyone else hates and it's been played up to be super reviled.
did you like the water temple

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Endorph posted:

did you like the water temple

Yeah, I loved it.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Phantasium posted:

Yeah, I loved it.
hideo baba parachute account spotted

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I just want another traditional Tales second world to be another gigantic puzzle dungeon again, is that so hard?