Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Yes, please.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Holy shiiiiiiit :aaa:

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
I think bigger ships should have a bit of a buildup before the big boom so small ships have a short window to get out of the way. Would look cool and result in less frustration from miscalculating your distance from that Onslaught's rear end causing you to commit suicide.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

BadOptics posted:

Very nice! Reminds me of Freespace 1/2; maybe he could add in some sort of shock wave effect?

One of the popular graphics mods already does this.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

looks a bit 2d

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

So I guess this is going to make boarding ships even harder if you literally cannot get them in one piece.

Or maybe along with the update is a dynamic scars generator for your ships, showing the welding lines where they were put back together so that they can fight another day. :black101:

FooF
Mar 26, 2010

Alex the Dev for SS posted:

"When a ship is disabled, there's a chance this will happen. The chance and min/max number of pieces are set per-ship in ship_data.csv. On average, the chance is around 50%. Ships that break up won't be available for boarding. For salvage, "destroyed" ships will contribute more than they do now, probably about the same as "disabled". Oh, forgot to mention: base chance to board will go up to compensate.

So, about half of the ships you fight will be outright dismantled and those that don't will have a greater chance to board. Since it would appear that ships tearing apart has something to do with additional damage past disabling them, you may be able to intentionally keep some ships intact if you want to board them and destroy the ones that you don't.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

FooF posted:

So, about half of the ships you fight will be outright dismantled and those that don't will have a greater chance to board. Since it would appear that ships tearing apart has something to do with additional damage past disabling them, you may be able to intentionally keep some ships intact if you want to board them and destroy the ones that you don't.

Maybe something about how many armor cells that are busted? Would make capturing ships more skill based.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Where can I find vmparams on OS X so I can get the 2GB fix in place to launch Starsector+?

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

I picked up this game again after telling a friend about it. I took the advice of the last couple pages and went after bounties. What a difference!

I'd been doing ok before, but mostly on a trading/smuggling basis. I picked off pirate fleets where and when I could but it could get dicey, and most I found were too small. Smuggling was going great, I expanded my fleet and thought myself some sort of badass. But the increased expense of keeping all those ships afloat, and the unreliable nature of trading, AND losing a key battle or two hosed me. My expanded fleet was dropped, I went back to my Medusa, Wolf, Brawler and one other frigate, and I was drat near bankrupt.

But now I have what seems like a steady income. And I started doing some faction bounties as well, so I get per-kill payouts as well as loyalty points. I bought a 2nd destroyer and can easily afford it this time. And I'm not constantly fretting about the price of fuel and supplies.

I'm starting to look into mods now, any suggestions for comparative beginners?

Fart Cannon
Oct 12, 2008

College Slice

Avocados posted:

Where can I find vmparams on OS X so I can get the 2GB fix in place to launch Starsector+?

Right click your starsector app, click "Show Package Contents," open the "Contents" folder, open "MacOS," and it's in starsector_mac.sh

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

so where do i get the murrica ship in the op?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Agean90 posted:

so where do i get the murrica ship in the op?

It's one of the SS+ boss bounties with I'm pretty sure Tiandong installed.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

dis astranagant posted:

It's one of the SS+ boss bounties with I'm pretty sure Tiandong installed.

Murica, made in China :911:

You should get Tiandong anyway though, it is a top notch mod.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Count Roland posted:

I'm starting to look into mods now, any suggestions for comparative beginners?
For what is still the vanilla experience, but these mods make the game world feel like it lives and breathes. I recommend them for everybody without reservation.:
Nexerelin: planet conquest and more dynamic wars and the Omnifactory. Plus it adds random maps. It has a list of factions it shares compatibility with and I've never played without it so yeah.
Starsector+: scaling bounties, captain skill balances, quality of life improvements
DynaSector: used to be part of Starsector+, don't know what it specifically does (think it's a diplomatic events system) but get it anyway its part of the deal
Ship Weapon Pack: Like Dynasector, it's the ships and weapons that used to be part of Starsector+. They fit so perfectly with Vanilla that you'll never pick out the new ships without expert knowledge of them.
Combat Chatter: Helps you keep track of the battle. Also it's pretty funny at times.
Graphics Lib, LazyLib: General function libraries for mods - just background stuff but get 'em it doesn't hurt.
Console Commands: Incredible utility. Bypasses unfun grinding at need. When you use this with Nexerelin and you're looking to mod your relationship with someone, check if you need to mod your personal relationship or your personal faction's relationship. That caused me no end of grief, and some pretty funny situations.

Factions that fit right in:
Junk Pirates: Low end ships, but nice flavor and funny to fight against.
Tiandong Heavy Industries: Hegemony with a different aesthetic and weapon emphasis. I highly recommend their flak burst launcher - it lets you giggle at missile swarms.
Interstellar Imperium: Low tech ships with an emphasis on long range forward-facing kinetics. They have a couple gimmick 'apocalypse' missile ships but they're easily countered. Mostly. I'll, uh, leave their exact results unspoiled but it's pretty funny.

For some spice. I do recommend these, to be clear, it's just that they're more of a deviance from the vanilla:
Blackrock Drive Yards: These have handling characteristics that really need a human touch to see good performance from. Otherwise they're mid-to-high end and prone to getting blapped.
Diable Avionics: Mid-to-high end but the AI handles them fairly well. They're...honestly just go to the Nexerelin thread and click the link there. I haven't played with them much but I've never regretted seeing the faction around. It's good fun.

Not really recommended but if you swing that way:
Templars: This is a boss faction - they are OP and will gently caress up any but highly skilled and equipped players. Also horrifically badly optimized and will eat all but the best graphics cards for lunch because the modder just had to have some special-rear end shield effects. Also it's prone to crashing on battle starts for whatever reason.
Hiigarans: If you really really want that Homeworld feel. However, they're imba as gently caress. Like, worse than Paragons imba. Also it requires Java 8 as opposed to Java 7 that the game comes with because the modder dislikes Java 7. The requirement is now in the mod's OP (for a long time it wasn't) but is somewhere obscure because a basic prerequisite for running it isn't important information or anything.

Complications fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Aug 8, 2016

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Fart Cannon posted:

Right click your starsector app, click "Show Package Contents," open the "Contents" folder, open "MacOS," and it's in starsector_mac.sh

Thanks boss.

I'm gonna have to pile on some more mods. SS+ is nice and all, but the game still feels pretty barebones and directionless. Nexerelin seems like a good M&B-esque mod.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Complications posted:

Templars: This is a boss faction - they are OP and will gently caress up any but highly skilled and equipped players. Also horrifically badly optimized and will eat all but the best graphics cards for lunch because the modder just had to have some special-rear end shield effects. Also it's prone to crashing on battle starts for whatever reason.

I haven't played SS in a good few months but I don't really remember Templars ever having any noticeable effect on performance or causing crashes and most of my time playing SS has been with a laptop running integrated graphics.

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

You can disable all the extra graphics in templars anyway by editing a text file

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Gobblecoque posted:

I haven't played SS in a good few months but I don't really remember Templars ever having any noticeable effect on performance or causing crashes and most of my time playing SS has been with a laptop running integrated graphics.

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND posted:

You can disable all the extra graphics in templars anyway by editing a text file
I did disable the extra graphics. I can have a 500 pop fight at 30FPS but whenever I got so much as a 50 pop fight with the Templars it dropped to 10FPS if not lower. For the crashes, it might have been patched in the last couple of months, but the Paladin (I think - it was the ship with the boost) used to crash my game in battles due to starting with zero or negative momentum. I forget which. After the first five times that happened, not quite consecutively but on successive battles with the Templars, on top of the FPS issues I uninstalled the faction in disgust.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

I have never seen any of these issues before, firsthand or brought up by others, and I've been playing with Templars since Day One. You might want to look around for other causes or re-download the mod or something.

Dreamsicle
Oct 16, 2013

Similar to the mac ram question, does the linux version come with the 64 bit jre?

EDIT: Also is StarSector+ 3.5.2 still good with Nexerelin or do I have to use Dynasector+Weapons/Ships Pack?

Dreamsicle fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Aug 8, 2016

MesoTroniK
May 20, 2014

Dreamsicle posted:

Similar to the mac ram question, does the linux version come with the 64 bit jre?

EDIT: Also is StarSector+ 3.5.2 still good with Nexerelin or do I have to use Dynasector+Weapons/Ships Pack?

Use all three.

A safe bet is following the recommended mods list in the THI mod faction thread.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Complications posted:

For what is still the vanilla experience, but these mods make the game world feel like it lives and breathes. I recommend them for everybody without reservation.:
Nexerelin: planet conquest and more dynamic wars and the Omnifactory. Plus it adds random maps. It has a list of factions it shares compatibility with and I've never played without it so yeah.
Starsector+: scaling bounties, captain skill balances, quality of life improvements
DynaSector: used to be part of Starsector+, don't know what it specifically does (think it's a diplomatic events system) but get it anyway its part of the deal
Ship Weapon Pack: Like Dynasector, it's the ships and weapons that used to be part of Starsector+. They fit so perfectly with Vanilla that you'll never pick out the new ships without expert knowledge of them.
Combat Chatter: Helps you keep track of the battle. Also it's pretty funny at times.
Graphics Lib, LazyLib: General function libraries for mods - just background stuff but get 'em it doesn't hurt.
Console Commands: Incredible utility. Bypasses unfun grinding at need. When you use this with Nexerelin and you're looking to mod your relationship with someone, check if you need to mod your personal relationship or your personal faction's relationship. That caused me no end of grief, and some pretty funny situations.

Factions that fit right in:
Junk Pirates: Low end ships, but nice flavor and funny to fight against.
Tiandong Heavy Industries: Hegemony with a different aesthetic and weapon emphasis. I highly recommend their flak burst launcher - it lets you giggle at missile swarms.
Interstellar Imperium: Low tech ships with an emphasis on long range forward-facing kinetics. They have a couple gimmick 'apocalypse' missile ships but they're easily countered. Mostly. I'll, uh, leave their exact results unspoiled but it's pretty funny.

For some spice. I do recommend these, to be clear, it's just that they're more of a deviance from the vanilla:
Blackrock Drive Yards: These have handling characteristics that really need a human touch to see good performance from. Otherwise they're mid-to-high end and prone to getting blapped.
Diable Avionics: Mid-to-high end but the AI handles them fairly well. They're...honestly just go to the Nexerelin thread and click the link there. I haven't played with them much but I've never regretted seeing the faction around. It's good fun.

Hiigarans: If you really really want that Homeworld feel. However, they're imba as gently caress. Like, worse than Paragons imba. Also it requires Java 8 as opposed to Java 7 that the game comes with because the modder dislikes Java 7. The requirement is now in the mod's OP (for a long time it wasn't) but is somewhere obscure because a basic prerequisite for running it isn't important information or anything.

Extremely useful-- thanks!

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
So the guy behind the Scy mod is redrawing all of his ships...

...But I mostly think I prefer the old versions:

The new sprites are more detailed and closer to the base game's, but I like the original cleaner, hard-panelled designs.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Mordja posted:

The new sprites are more detailed and closer to the base game's, but I like the original cleaner, hard-panelled designs.

Yeah, I really don't like it when mods try to look like the base game because distinctive looks make them much more memorable.

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

I keep trying to come back to the game but it feels impossible for me. The start is so rough and I've been ambushed so many times by fleets faster than me.

I think I've logged maybe two hours since he put out the update to Transponders and all that. I miss the old version. :/

Cathair
Jan 7, 2008

Mordja posted:

Oooh, this is nice. I also liked the stark, blocky styling of the original design, but the sprites always looked weirdly fake to me. Too flat, too 'digital'. The sense of depth is so much better on these new sprites.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

I definitely prefer the new ones, but I still find that most of the ships have way too similar an outline for me to love it. Course, if he changed the shape of half of the ships, that would be a huge hassle and long time fans would complain, so maybe it's for the better. Plus, one of the factions visual gimmicks is the "same" engine on every ship, so it would lose some of its identity.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Cathair posted:

Oooh, this is nice. I also liked the stark, blocky styling of the original design, but the sprites always looked weirdly fake to me. Too flat, too 'digital'. The sense of depth is so much better on these new sprites.

I'm with you on this. The Scy mod has always had some really cool mechanical stuff going on with the ships, but they have always looked out of place next to the rest of the stuff in the game. It's not really that the style has to perfectly match—the BRDY sprites put most of those in the base-game to shame, but they still fit in nicely. The new Scy sprites look like a real improvement to me.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

This is the first time I've seen both sets, and I like the new ones better.

I'm just starting to get mods for my game now, and I really appreciate ones that expand on the vanilla game rather than sticking out too much.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Count Roland posted:

Extremely useful-- thanks!
I actually forgot a mod - Underworld. So, Underworld adds the Starlight Cabal faction and a bunch of cool pirate ships. I turn the Starlight Cabal off in the mod's config file on the grounds that they're annoying motherfuckers while contributing basically nothing else, especially as fleet sizes get larger (all phase ships all the time, especially those phase frigates that overload you at will). Other people might like the challenge, but I got very tired of them especially as its impossible to get rid of them by conquering planets as their origin points are ancillary entities on Tri-Tach worlds that carry over through ownership changes. However, the pirate ships are worth the install and config file change - they go from small frigate to full battleship size, and run the gamut from well-powered to openly just there because they're flavorful. The new pirate ships fit perfectly with the preexisting design aesthetic. To be quite honest, I forgot this part of the mod existed until a recent game where I was wondering where all of the serious pirate vessels where.

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

the Torch-class gunboat is glory in its purest form.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

And how.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I wish to god I could figure out a way to actually use that thing other than as a glorified firework.

It's neat to fight against much like the buffalo II, but it's not a ship I can imagine ever fielding.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Mordja posted:

I like the new designs. I always thought that Scy’s old æsthetic clashed with the base game and most mods.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

OwlFancier posted:

I wish to god I could figure out a way to actually use that thing other than as a glorified firework.

It's neat to fight against much like the buffalo II, but it's not a ship I can imagine ever fielding.

Instead of being a bowling ball it's a drive by machine. Put light machine guns in the sides and your favorite antiarmor or ion weapons in the end turrets. Put on heavy armor and armored weapon mounts to get almost 700 armor. Sadly, there aren't a lot of good finishers you can put in small ballistic turrets unless you want a missile or am blaster in the front one.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think last time I tried it I just found it far too susceptible to getting missiled to death in the first few seconds. Or getting owned by anything with decent speed HE rounds.

I've just never been able to make an unshielded ship workable compared to literally any shielded design. I'll take a cerberus for storage space or a hound, but I won't take an completely unshielded combat ship because the first fleet with a mauler in it somewhere will shred you with ease, or it at best makes you extremely weak because you have to devote so much time to dodging. Being able to just eat some HE rounds on your shields is incredibly helpful for focusing down enemy shields.

I've been running around with an II Praetorian for most of my current game, Telum Autocannon in the medium mount and a lux repeater in the small. Basically shreds anything from about 1000 units away though is vulnerable to Scythe frigates with their new AI and the new phase mechanics making them suicidal idiots that the game likes putting five of in every fleet, also lacks the raw firepower to take out cruisers by itself. Trying to pick up a Lynx-S at some point for mad sensor coverage and maybe kit it out as an artillery platform if I can find some medium projectile energy weapons with low flux use.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Aug 13, 2016

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
You kinda just have to make peace with the fact that you're very likely to lose unshielded ships. I find the combat chatter mod helps me keep them alive, because they'll announce when they've taken hull damage so I can retreat them.

Good thing Robberflies are stupidly cheap to replace.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

OwlFancier posted:

I think last time I tried it I just found it far too susceptible to getting missiled to death in the first few seconds. Or getting owned by anything with decent speed HE rounds.

I've just never been able to make an unshielded ship workable compared to literally any shielded design. I'll take a cerberus for storage space or a hound, but I won't take an completely unshielded combat ship because the first fleet with a mauler in it somewhere will shred you with ease, or it at best makes you extremely weak because you have to devote so much time to dodging. Being able to just eat some HE rounds on your shields is incredibly helpful for focusing down enemy shields.

I've been running around with an II Praetorian for most of my current game, Telum Autocannon in the medium mount and a lux repeater in the small. Basically shreds anything from about 1000 units away though is vulnerable to Scythe frigates with their new AI and the new phase mechanics making them suicidal idiots that the game likes putting five of in every fleet, also lacks the raw firepower to take out cruisers by itself. Trying to pick up a Lynx-S at some point for mad sensor coverage and maybe kit it out as an artillery platform if I can find some medium projectile energy weapons with low flux use.

You rely on pd weapons (low op cost, crazy dps but short range) and pile on the armor. The added benefit is that you can just turn a broadside on that missile wave and laugh your rear end off. It helps if you get a few missile slots to use for finishers (Enforcer and Lasher, neither of which actually want to use their shields ever) but you'll probably have to settle for an AM blaster and light assault gun with the torch.

It's hard to make one that they ai will use well but you can make some hilariously effective flagships
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ztd0csvDyE4

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Aug 13, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
I started to use that enforcer layout in the video.

Life's tough as a giant chainsaw, especially when you're a 14th battle group chainsaw with heavy armour.

*endless grinding of enemies intensifies*