Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Facebook Aunt posted:

Eh, I think of them more as "society's rules" than "men's rules". In conservative subcultures women and girls get more shaming from other women than from men. It's the women's job to teach girls to be ladylike. It isn't like men were ever getting together in secret meetings to think of ways to oppress women. Stuff just sort of happens.

read a loving book, jesus christ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?

Pick posted:

read a loving book, jesus christ

seriously what a dumb post lol

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Facebook Aunt posted:

Eh, I think of them more as "society's rules" than "men's rules". In conservative subcultures women and girls get more shaming from other women than from men. It's the women's job to teach girls to be ladylike. It isn't like men were ever getting together in secret meetings to think of ways to oppress women. Stuff just sort of happens.

Sometimes unfortunate things happen in the heat of a millennia old legacy of extreme subjugation.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Troposphere posted:

seriously what a dumb post lol

it's so dumb that it's difficult to approach. it's like those old strings of christmas lights. if one light was out, you could address it pretty easily. if two lights were out, a little harder, but doable. but that post is the intellectual equivalent of like six lights out. like you don't even want to begin to address how loving stupid it is.

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?
maybe women should just stop oppressing themselves, makes u think

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Troposphere posted:

maybe women should just stop oppressing themselves, makes u think

if oppressed people contribute to their own oppression, it's because it was their idea in the first place

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?
after all this time...I know the truth....that women ruin everything

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
god drat women forbidding themselves from having sex with men, or having rights, or voting and owning property and having bank accounts and all that other poo poo they did to themselves for some reason.

really preventing me from getting my dick wet. idiots.

Dinosaurmageddon
Jul 7, 2007

by zen death robot
Hell Gem
Women were helping the Patriarchy all along...

gently caress YOU GRANDMA GET WITH THE TIMES

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011

Facebook Aunt posted:

Stuff just sort of happens.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!
you gotta think further down in history where nobody could fuckign read or write except the nobles/wealthy people/theologists. They had direct reason to subjugate lesser people to fight in wars or work the fields, or contribute to the church. They married their daughters to different families directly to gain status and that marriage relied on an intact hymen of a non-slut. If people could read this is the poo poo they read about and mimicked. I mean those are super cheesy examples, but that type of stuff reverberates through history to men and women.

there is a failing somewhere where people think "patriarchy == evil men tenting their fingers", where it's more like evil old dead people did bad things that still shudder through our society.

darkhand fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Aug 11, 2016

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?

Dinosaurmageddon posted:

Women were helping the Patriarchy all along...

gently caress YOU GRANDMA

our secret has been discovered gently caress!!!

*throws down flash bang and disappears, never to be seen again*

Dinosaurmageddon
Jul 7, 2007

by zen death robot
Hell Gem
In all honestly though plenty of women and men perpetuate or conserve various "gender norms" of both bygone eras and foreign societies alike with the vague hope that by teaching it it would best prepare their offspring to function socially among their peers.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

yeah i think that chasm is where niceguys stem from, they're trying to see two worlds that they don't understand and basically failing at both

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
I have what some women call an abrasive personality.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Dinosaurmageddon posted:

In all honestly though plenty of women and men perpetuate or conserve various "gender norms" of both bygone eras and foreign societies alike with the vague hope that by teaching it it would best prepare their offspring to function socially among their peers.

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

I mean boning, the wild mambo, the hunka chunka

Dinosaurmageddon posted:

Shut up, this is team sports time and copping to the fact that women can be really brutal in policing other women would be A Big Loss for Me

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?
hmmmm I wonder why women would be brutal to other women about fitting into social norms

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I like your username but I have an important question: Hangar or Slipgate Complex?

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

I mean boning, the wild mambo, the hunka chunka

Mak0rz posted:

I like your username but I have an important question: Hangar or Slipgate Complex?

LIKE IT'S EVEN A QUESTION https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSsfjHCFosw

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Troposphere posted:

hmmmm I wonder why women would be brutal to other women about fitting into social norms

Penis envy? :shrug:

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Just making sure man

Dinosaurmageddon
Jul 7, 2007

by zen death robot
Hell Gem

Troposphere posted:

sloots

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb

Troposphere posted:

the crab bucket analogy fits for so many of these social ills.

still, men put the women/crabs in the bucket to begin with. whether or not the dudes are throwing them back in said bucket or another woman is dragging them back, we can agree it's bad.

Dinosaurmageddon
Jul 7, 2007

by zen death robot
Hell Gem
grils always tryna vying 2b queen bee of the baesphere, like I gotcha I hear ya ladies

But no really why or how is it that women get most brutal about gender norms? Guys can and do too but I suppose they ostracize and compete in slightly different ways.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

once you control women you also control men (and vice versa) It's crab buckets all the way down.

Dinosaurmageddon
Jul 7, 2007

by zen death robot
Hell Gem

darkhand posted:

once you control women you also control men (and vice versa) It's crab buckets all the way down.

I thought it was turtles, elephants, and cargo cults

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
sloots gonna sloot

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?

Dinosaurmageddon posted:

grils always tryna vying 2b queen bee of the baesphere, like I gotcha I hear ya ladies

But no really why or how is it that women get most brutal about gender norms? Guys can and do too but I suppose they ostracize and compete in slightly different ways.

because we're told our entire life that our self worth should be tied to our appearance and a lot of times when women lash out at other women it comes from a place of deep insecurity

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

Dinosaurmageddon posted:

I thought it was turtles, elephants, and cargo cults

atleast it's not car analogies

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Dinosaurmageddon posted:

Seriously, internalized oppression can manifest in many forms, and being vicious about social norms is just one of them.

naem
May 29, 2011

stabbing

Dinosaurmageddon
Jul 7, 2007

by zen death robot
Hell Gem

darkhand posted:

In the tarot, Cancer the Crab or Lobster is represented as The Chariot, Rider of the Tides, and is thus subservient to The Moon as well in her many phases.

What I'm getting at is that women are like crabs, man. Just like Klingons.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

or cancer

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?
I'm a cancer and I can confirm

Dinosaurmageddon
Jul 7, 2007

by zen death robot
Hell Gem

Troposphere posted:

I'm a cancer and I can confirm

Me too but only on society and not necessarily by my birthdate, sorry if that disappoints you your crabbiness :laugh:

Benny Harvey
Nov 24, 2012

Decebal posted:

Learning to read is hard, but even animals can get into relationships.

A lot of animals also don't.

Benny Harvey
Nov 24, 2012

Moridin920 posted:

They're just convinced women are some alien species and not just like regular people so they can't just TALK to them normally (are you insane!?). They gotta strategize and formulate plans and attack vectors.

But yeah sometime in HS I realized 'hey these people with boobs are just like people with dicks, they just can't act the same because of society and whatever' and I talked to girls like I would talk to guys and it was fine.

also hey I dunno if this was this thread or another but a day ago someone was mentioning how a girl wouldn't gently caress on the first date but the 2nd was just fine, here's why bro

the attitude of 'first date? what a slut' is sooooo prevalent even among otherwise 'normal' guys

"i like the caucasians and the light brown ones" like they are pieces of candy or something lmao. throwin in 'oriental' like it's 1800 and he is british.

You say that like these guys can talk to other men normally

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry
You think bisexual experiences could potentially (not guaranteed! ) provide one with the perspective needed to see women and men aren't that different at their core?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dinosaurmageddon
Jul 7, 2007

by zen death robot
Hell Gem

Wicker Man posted:

You think bisexual experiences could potentially (not guaranteed! ) provide one with the perspective needed to see women and men aren't that different at their core?

You mean m...men can be wh- wh- whore bitches too? *sniff*
:qqsay:

• Locked thread