Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

DeathChicken posted:

His one hit kill after he knocks you down always had me on edge. Mash the buttons, get up numbnuts, he's gonna kill you if...dammit.

Doesn't he do that if you're already at orange caution to danger health? I thought it was a bit like the Hunters in the other games where they only do their decapitation attack if you're low on health. Either that or I've been very lucky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

As I recall it gets more difficult to mash yourself up the more hurt you are. If he just bowls you over, you're probably fine. If you're already wounded, he's probably going to grab you before you get up and then it's a OHKO.

smuh
Feb 21, 2011

Good god playing RE6 on professional again really makes the problems bloom. Getting killed by enemies that attack you in a semi-scripted event you can't avoid unless you remember its coming, getting killed by crawling zombies ALL THE TIME especially if they happen to be ones you cant shoot until they activate - at lunge range of course, getting killed because your control gets taken away for no reason in the middle of fighting enemies... I'm gonna get this plat trophy again but fuckkk this bullshit

e: look AI, if I'm standing at a door hammering the loving circle button, I expect you to sprint to the door. I do NOT expect you to walk at a leisurely pace, start punching enemies that you've already walked past, or literally walk two full circles in place - and then yell at me about how you know what you're doing. Why AI, why do you have such disgust and malice toward this journey of ours.

smuh fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Aug 11, 2016

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Hunters in the other games where they only do their decapitation attack if you're low on health.
Oh and the nightmares return...
-thousand yard stare-

You don't have to explicitly be low on health at all when it comes to these scaly pricks; the usual threshold is yellow (whether it's Fine or Caution, depending on game), which is still reasonably high. Healing to green Fine would stop them from trying to one-shot you, except in the original game, where once the conditions for allowing a headswipe were triggered they'd just keep on trying it no matter what you did for healing.

Nemesis on the other hand will usually lay off tentacle-punching a hole in your head as long as you're not on orange Caution or Danger. Although I'm convinced that him grabbing you while you're sprawled on the floor actually deals damage in the process too, because I've been killed several times by one round of failed button mashing numerous times when I'm sure I was still at least on yellow Caution.

DeathChicken posted:

As I recall it gets more difficult to mash yourself up the more hurt you are.
Yep. This is a real problem in smaller spaces such as the newspaper office or in the narrow path during the Clock Tower fight, where you have barely a second to recover before you get lobbed across a 3ft space again.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

If Nemesis knocks you down and picks you up 3 (I think) times in a row, he spears your head regardless of health. God, I want a RE3 remake.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy
Nemesis seemed to be random after his first grab. I've had green health and been insta-killed before. It's still the scariest game to play for me outside of Re:Make (gently caress Crimson heads and Lisa Trevor...I hate them so much)

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
My least favorite enemy is the plant monsters on RE2. Fuckers can just eat your head. That's where my one attempt at iron man RE2 got killed. There's only like 4 in the whole game.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Crowetron posted:

If Nemesis knocks you down and picks you up 3 (I think) times in a row, he spears your head regardless of health. God, I want a RE3 remake.

Fortunately RE3 had a dodge mechanic to help you deal with that stuff, but yeah. He could be pretty brutal.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

My least favorite enemy is the plant monsters on RE2. Fuckers can just eat your head. That's where my one attempt at iron man RE2 got killed. There's only like 4 in the whole game.

mine was ended by a mutated licker at the end of lab... sure i'll be ok with a yellow health b:tviv:

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Speedball posted:

Fortunately RE3 had a dodge mechanic to help you deal with that stuff, but yeah. He could be pretty brutal.

I felt like the dodge got me in more trouble though, I would be aiming and press X and god drat it stop dodging the loving dogs just shoot them :argh:

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

It probably works better than Revelations 1's dodge mechanic worked, god that was finicky. Glad they just made a straight up dodge move in 2, a nice middle ground between that and the floor shenanigans you can get up to in 6.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

It probably works better than Revelations 1's dodge mechanic worked, god that was finicky. Glad they just made a straight up dodge move in 2, a nice middle ground between that and the floor shenanigans you can get up to in 6.

At least as long as you aren't playing it on a 3DS you barely need the dodge since you're so much more mobile normally.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

LadyPictureShow posted:

Two stories about a man that can not only see, but also punch ghosts after a near death experience.

Hahahahhaha. I love this. Glad you're past your dark side, mate and like the other Goon said, remember us fondly when you're auditioning Nic Cage in the inevitable film franchise.

Speaking of insta-deaths and the like, I remember playing a demo for Resident Evil 2 and being amazed that upon dying there'd be a little animation that played out when the screen went dark showing you being munched on by the zombies. So I purposely got killed by everything and the Licker had this animation where it would pin your head between the claw-fingers of one hand and rapidly pummel your skull into the floor over and over. However, I never once saw that again during the actual game. Was it still in there or was it cut? If it was cut, I wonder why.

I missed the plethora of unique death animations in 5 and 6. Sure there were some, but not nearly as many as 4.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

smuh posted:

Good god playing RE6 on professional again really makes the problems bloom. Getting killed by enemies that attack you in a semi-scripted event you can't avoid unless you remember its coming, getting killed by crawling zombies ALL THE TIME especially if they happen to be ones you cant shoot until they activate - at lunge range of course, getting killed because your control gets taken away for no reason in the middle of fighting enemies... I'm gonna get this plat trophy again but fuckkk this bullshit

e: look AI, if I'm standing at a door hammering the loving circle button, I expect you to sprint to the door. I do NOT expect you to walk at a leisurely pace, start punching enemies that you've already walked past, or literally walk two full circles in place - and then yell at me about how you know what you're doing. Why AI, why do you have such disgust and malice toward this journey of ours.

The secret to Pro is getting someone much better to carry you.

Sakurazuka fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Aug 12, 2016

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Drunken Baker posted:

I missed the plethora of unique death animations in 5 and 6. Sure there were some, but not nearly as many as 4.

The RE5 death animations were a real letdown after 4. Especially the lack of decapitations, which made chainsaw deaths look pretty stupid.

smuh
Feb 21, 2011

Convex posted:

The RE5 death animations were a real letdown after 4. Especially the lack of decapitations, which made chainsaw deaths look pretty stupid.
I remember only the original gamecube version of RE4 being uncensored decapitation wise, at least every version I played since just panned the camera away.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Drunken Baker posted:

Speaking of insta-deaths and the like, I remember playing a demo for Resident Evil 2 and being amazed that upon dying there'd be a little animation that played out when the screen went dark showing you being munched on by the zombies. So I purposely got killed by everything and the Licker had this animation where it would pin your head between the claw-fingers of one hand and rapidly pummel your skull into the floor over and over. However, I never once saw that again during the actual game. Was it still in there or was it cut? If it was cut, I wonder why.
Yep, this one was removed for censorship/rating reasons. I don't know what about it in particular warranted removal, because compared to some of the other deaths in RE2 it's really nothing extraordinary regarding massive head trauma.

Drunken Baker posted:

RE6 has far more unique death animations than 4 & 5 combined; there's one for near-enough every enemy type (and sub-type, i.e. weapon-carrying zombies/j'avo) if they attack you up close while in the 'Dying' state. RE5 definitely has the least, though, which was a bit of a disappointment after RE4 having quite a decent range.

On the subject of disappointing death animations and lack of unique thereof, Revelations has less variety than the very first RE. Just... fall over and that's it. The end. You Are Dead.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
if you want to see the death animations, youtube has it covered. oh god, does youtube ever have it covered.

smuh
Feb 21, 2011

I saw quite a few death animations in 6 while going through professional, but they were all kinda... strangely unsatisfying? Like the two deaths everyone remembers from 4 are Leon getting his head lopped off and the one where his god drat face melts to the bone. They were brutal as poo poo and he really gets mutilated in a really shocking fashion. While in 6, I got a chainsaw rocked through my chest for a good 5 seconds, got pinned to the wall with a giant drill, even had an enemy vomit into my face where seconds later another creature emerged from - some radical poo poo right? In theory yeah, but the character models don't actually ever have any visible damage to them. No blood on their clothes, no dismemberment or disfiguring, nothing. Like you were playing with action figures or something. I dunno, each time I got really hyped for a cool death and then just went 'oh, thats it huh'.

Wishing for horrific violence on player characters makes me feel weird by the way

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

smuh posted:

I saw quite a few death animations in 6 while going through professional, but they were all kinda... strangely unsatisfying? Like the two deaths everyone remembers from 4 are Leon getting his head lopped off and the one where his god drat face melts to the bone. They were brutal as poo poo and he really gets mutilated in a really shocking fashion. While in 6, I got a chainsaw rocked through my chest for a good 5 seconds, got pinned to the wall with a giant drill, even had an enemy vomit into my face where seconds later another creature emerged from - some radical poo poo right? In theory yeah, but the character models don't actually ever have any visible damage to them. No blood on their clothes, no dismemberment or disfiguring, nothing. Like you were playing with action figures or something. I dunno, each time I got really hyped for a cool death and then just went 'oh, thats it huh'.

Wishing for horrific violence on player characters makes me feel weird by the way

RE6 does have the blender death at least in Leon's campaign. The camera panning away kind of made it more disturbing I think.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Drunken Baker posted:

Hahahahhaha. I love this. Glad you're past your dark side, mate and like the other Goon said, remember us fondly when you're auditioning Nic Cage in the inevitable film franchise.

I won't forget you, beloved goons. You've made me believe that I have a new purpose in life. To share the joy of a man beating up ghosts with the whole world. My boyfriend texted me last night 'I was talking to Iake (Eissinmann, the former child actor) and he's looking for a comic book project he can illustrate... just sayin'.

I think some of the death animations were cut from RE2 because they were considered 'too gory' at the time. Though, they're really tame by today's death animation standards. Speaking of RE2, is that one guy still working on RE1.5? I'm interested in seeing how the plots are different (not by much). I was so hyped by an RE2 then bummed it got scrapped; though the RE2 we got was amazing.

Mr. Fortitude posted:

RE6 does have the blender death at least in Leon's campaign. The camera panning away kind of made it more disturbing I think.

That was the only death scene that unsettled me in 6. I think it was the fact that the enemy didn't just shove you/knock you in, it actively went in the blender with you.

LadyPictureShow fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Aug 12, 2016

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

LadyPictureShow posted:

That was the only death scene that unsettled me in 6. I think it was the fact that the enemy didn't just shove you/knock you in, it actively went in the blender with you.

Speaking personally I was laughing more than anything because the whole time I was thinking "Hey, Helena, going to do something? Anything? No? Okay, see ya." Even more amusing was that I was in co-op at the time and my friend was actively meleeing the thing :v:

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Kibayasu posted:

Speaking personally I was laughing more than anything because the whole time I was thinking "Hey, Helena, going to do something? Anything? No? Okay, see ya." Even more amusing was that I was in co-op at the time and my friend was actively meleeing the thing :v:
AFAIK trying to interrupt it with any attacks just causes the death scene to go full steam ahead, or at least that's what the result of a botched co-op 'plan' was. Seems you can only get out of it with the QTE.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Regarding RE3, it's my favorite RE, and one of my top 10 favorite games of all time. It has a lot of mechanics going for it that are easy to disregard.

For example, dodging. It's not mentioned anywhere, but what weapon you're holding determines how easy it is. The pistol for example has a huge dodge window. This is probably the one thing going for you if you decide to tangle with Nemmy in the RPD courtyard.

The other is gunpowder. To me this gives the game unprecedented replayability. Want to do a pistol only game? Easy. Shotguns only? Done. The game subtlety encourages this by allowing special ammo creations after a certain number of mixes. This is the other thing that eases the first Nemesis fight. There's just enough powder to mix special handgun ammo before the fight. That ammo stuns him when he runs.

Nemesis himself is a great fight. He throws you curveballs in his attack patterns. Like he'll throw a quick jab as you try to outmaneuver his usual left hook. Or he'll run when you don't expect him to.

I'm gonna go start that game up again now.

Edit: I rarely see this mentioned anywhere, but if you down Nemesis all 7 possible times on a fresh new game the 7th drop isn't the Infinite Ammo case, but the assault rifle. This is the only way to get the finite ammo assault rifle on Hard Mode.

SettingSun fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Aug 12, 2016

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

It's been well over a decade since I bothered downing Nemesis on every encounter (now I just get the easy knockdowns and avoid all the other encounters), and I can't actually remember what the reward was so I'll just take your word for it. Certainly sounds familiar enough. The only infinite ammo case I know of is the $9999 one in the shop after a Mercenaries run.

Meanwhile I'm going through Revelations on Infernal because I'm clearly some sort of idiot, and I can't evade for poo poo. The dodge mechanic in this game can just go all the way to hell and loving stay there.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I know RE3 so well I could probably play it blindfolded. If you down Nemesis every encounter your two "freebies" at the restaurant and top of the clock tower will both be first aid boxes, which are full. And the 7th drop everyone remembers is the infinite ammo case which you combine with any one weapon to give it infinite ammo. If you combine it with the mine launcher, it changes how it works. The mines will home in on enemies.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

The Mine Launcher E. was probably the most fun I've had in a casual funrun of RE3 where I don't want to bother managing supplies/inventory. It's ridiculously powerful against living things anything that isn't Nemesis.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

It's been well over a decade since I bothered downing Nemesis on every encounter (now I just get the easy knockdowns and avoid all the other encounters), and I can't actually remember what the reward was so I'll just take your word for it. Certainly sounds familiar enough. The only infinite ammo case I know of is the $9999 one in the shop after a Mercenaries run.

Meanwhile I'm going through Revelations on Infernal because I'm clearly some sort of idiot, and I can't evade for poo poo. The dodge mechanic in this game can just go all the way to hell and loving stay there.

The rewards for downing Nemmy were an improved handgun, an improved shotgun, a canister holding three First Aid Sprays, a few other things, and, eventually, an item that you could combine with any weapon to give it infinite ammo. Including the rocket launcher. Pretty worth it, overall.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Using the infinite ammo case on the rocket launcher was a waste. Throw it on the magnum and explode enemies at 3x the speed. :getin:

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

The magnum always kills Nemmy in two shots if I recall, so yeah. It was usually a far better thing to get that in the random locker at the police station than the grenade launcher.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
The Magnum took something like eight or nine shots to drop Nemmy once. The benefit was that he can't juke the shot the way he can with freeze rounds, but freeze rounds took six or seven shots.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Really? I distinctly remember just blasting the poo poo out of him with the magnum and it taking all the challenge out of everything. But I may be crazy.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

I usually save magnum rounds for Hunters, because those loving shits put me through so much torture as a kid during the first game that I developed an absolute merciless hatred for the bastards in all subsequent titles.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

It wasn't that bad for me once I figured out that to dodge forward, to not put in any inputs except for the dodge. Also, I think you're invincible throughout the whole dodge.

Speaking of death animations, the wall blisters from revelations had a brutal one where they twisted you and broke your back.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I played RE3 for the first time around 2002? 2004? something like that. I'd somehow played every RE up to that point but that one, especially loving RE2. RE3 really blew me away. I was totally immersed in this PS1 game, and the only other game to do that for me was Silent Hill. Do you really only fight Nemesis 7 times? I felt like I encountered him dozens of times.

One moment in particular had me yelling at the screen. I walked into some kind of alleyway while on really low health, so my movement speed was lowered. I walked forward and saw some dust or something fall from the ceiling. As I was thinking to myself, "Man I really hope Nemesis doesn't attack me right now" the motherfucker drops from the ceiling and I just barely dodge. I'm screaming things like "gently caress gently caress gently caress GO GO GO" as Jill limps towards the door and I managed to get through it JUST as he was doing his charge at me. As I breathe a sigh of relief I walk forward into the next room and holy poo poo Nemesis just followed me! I actually managed to get away, and it was then that I knew I was playing a loving gem. Nemesis became one of the most awesome villains of all time. He's just so loving relentless. He's always there.

Another scene that blew me away was when you encounter the rescue chopper and then out of nowhere BOOM Nemesis blows it up. My jaw dropped and I just stared at the screen in disbelief. I felt hope be ripped away just like Jill did. I got a feeling of dread and couldn't help but think to myself "I'm never getting out of here, am I?" As I said, only other game to make me feel this way was Silent Hill.

And ohhh man the ending. THE ENDING. You spend the whole game getting hosed by Nemesis. No matter how many times you "kill" him he just keeps coming back. Every time he came back it was just like "holy poo poo, why won't you die" and you kill him so much that something happens (I can't remember exactly) and he ends up mutating into this enormous blob-like creature. You gently caress up blob Nemesis and oh my loving god its hurt and immobile but still not dead and the self destruct is minutes away from going off. Then, Jill spots a cutscene magnum. You are given a choice: Finish off Nemesis or just run away. NO. NOT THIS TIME. THIS ENDS NOW. Jill just wastes him, and I've got two middle fingers pointed directly at the screen. It was wonderful.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

AFAIK trying to interrupt it with any attacks just causes the death scene to go full steam ahead, or at least that's what the result of a botched co-op 'plan' was. Seems you can only get out of it with the QTE.

No the other person straight up can't do anything while it's going and it's really annoying/hilarious that you can't help out in anyway other than throwing yourself into the QTE if you think you'd be better at it than the other person.

The game does that a lot i notice.There are a lot of "traps" where the game makes it look like you need to shoot something or dodge or whatever but in reality there's' nothing to do but wait and doing anything else is a waste of time/ammo. The best example is Leon Chapter 1 and those survivors you come across. I've seen so many different people across so many different playthroughs try to help the people out. Because of course, why wouldn't you? But they are just scripted animations, like when the old man falls off the roof, there's no interaction to try and help him up or anything, not even when they start getting pulled out of the bus at the end. You'd think you could jump out and go help him but it's just set dressing.

A shame they don't really do more with having lots of AI companions, ,you get a bit of it in Chris's levels in the flashback but it's not the same kind of idea since you're waiting on the explosives guy.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I played RE3 for the first time around 2002? 2004? something like that. I'd somehow played every RE up to that point but that one, especially loving RE2. RE3 really blew me away. I was totally immersed in this PS1 game, and the only other game to do that for me was Silent Hill. Do you really only fight Nemesis 7 times? I felt like I encountered him dozens of times.

One moment in particular had me yelling at the screen. I walked into some kind of alleyway while on really low health, so my movement speed was lowered. I walked forward and saw some dust or something fall from the ceiling. As I was thinking to myself, "Man I really hope Nemesis doesn't attack me right now" the motherfucker drops from the ceiling and I just barely dodge. I'm screaming things like "gently caress gently caress gently caress GO GO GO" as Jill limps towards the door and I managed to get through it JUST as he was doing his charge at me. As I breathe a sigh of relief I walk forward into the next room and holy poo poo Nemesis just followed me! I actually managed to get away, and it was then that I knew I was playing a loving gem. Nemesis became one of the most awesome villains of all time. He's just so loving relentless. He's always there.

Another scene that blew me away was when you encounter the rescue chopper and then out of nowhere BOOM Nemesis blows it up. My jaw dropped and I just stared at the screen in disbelief. I felt hope be ripped away just like Jill did. I got a feeling of dread and couldn't help but think to myself "I'm never getting out of here, am I?" As I said, only other game to make me feel this way was Silent Hill.

And ohhh man the ending. THE ENDING. You spend the whole game getting hosed by Nemesis. No matter how many times you "kill" him he just keeps coming back. Every time he came back it was just like "holy poo poo, why won't you die" and you kill him so much that something happens (I can't remember exactly) and he ends up mutating into this enormous blob-like creature. You gently caress up blob Nemesis and oh my loving god its hurt and immobile but still not dead and the self destruct is minutes away from going off. Then, Jill spots a cutscene magnum. You are given a choice: Finish off Nemesis or just run away. NO. NOT THIS TIME. THIS ENDS NOW. Jill just wastes him, and I've got two middle fingers pointed directly at the screen. It was wonderful.

Nemesis hit in the heady days of my brother not allowing me to play the PS, but I'd hang out, figure out the map scheme faster and help solve the puzzles. For some reason I remember the Carlos segment having the most goddamn obnoxious 'get the liquid levels right to make the serum!' puzzle.

And speaking of Nemesis a goon wrote this magnum opus in a previous RE thread:

quote:

Hey, can we talk for a minute about Nemesis and the fact that he is the best? Because Nemesis is the most hardcore motherfucker in the whole series.

So, Umbrella does all this weird evil science poo poo with Lisa Trevor, and then they get a hold of the G-Virus, dig up the Trevor file, and just dump all that poo poo into some worm or something, and then they take this crazy-rear end hell worm and stuff it into Alternate Dimension Dwayne Johnson. Some sort of mental programming borrowed from Street Fighter: The Movie later, and now they got Nemesis, a creature designed with only the ability to gently caress poo poo up. Like, they already had Tyrants. Mr. X was a Tyrant that you could give orders to, then send him off to do whatever you need a brick shithouse to do, and it works out just fine so long as you keep him away from any protagonists, right?

But that wasn't good enough. Someone at Umbrella looked at the Tyrants, scratched his beard, and said "No, these aren't quite kill-y enough." So they make Nemesis, the ultimate killer of goddamn everything, and they program him to go kill all the surviving STARS members. All five of them. And remember what STARS is: it's a glorified SWAT team staffed entirely by people with learning disorders that operate exclusively in a city where Umbrella owns literally everything. Also, three of those five members have already left Raccoon City by the time Nemmy gets his orders.

So, they drop Nemesis into a burning city of chaos so he can kill two schmucks who kinda sorta were around when bad poo poo happened to Umbrella. Mr. X gets to go get the drat G-Virus, so at least there's some money on the line with his job. Nemmy gets sent on a hit out of spite. That job sucks. But Nemesis doesn't care. Nemesis can't care. All he knows is there's some motherfuckers to kill, so he's gonna go kill some motherfuckers!

You know Nemmy's coming. Dude is right there on the cover of the game. But he still manages to make an entrance. You stumble into a cutscene that's lit like some sort of weird 90's soap opera, and Brad shows up, and before you even have a chance to remember who this dork is, a loving wall of meat and anger drops in front of the camera. Here's Nemesis, he looks hosed up as hell and like a million feet tall and holy drat, he just loving speared that chump through the face and oh gently caress he sees me

The game pops up a pair of options on the screen as the midi of Charon starts of play and this giant fuckin' murderbeast starts lumbering towards you in slow motion. Do you want to fight this dude? This dude that looks like he ate the final boss of RE1 for breakfast? Keep in mind, this is like 15 minutes into the game. You just figured out that you can aim down to shoot zombie dogs. You haven't even seen one single emblem yet! gently caress no, you don't want to fight him! So you pick "Run Like A Scrub", and you haul rear end. You get inside, and after a little scare of pounding on the door behind you, you hear that familiar Save Room music, and you relax. He can't get you in here. It's cool. You're in the RPD, you remember this place from the last game. Everything goes smoothly as you proceed to loot the joint. After a little wandering, you're like "Guess I'm done here," and then BAM! GIANT MOTHERFUCKING NEMESIS THROUGH THE GODDAMN WINDOW! How'd he even do that? He is like three times the size of that window and what is he--HE HAS A ROCKET LAUNCHER.

How does he have a rocket launcher? He can't have a rocket launcher. You get the rocket launcher. Birkin didn't get a rocket launcher, what is this poo poo? So once again, you wisely decide "gently caress this noise" and you run. You duck into the next room, and start to calm down. Nothin' in here but some zombies. No biggie. Huh, the game played the door opening sound again, I wonder what oh it's Nemesis. Nemesis, with a rocket launcher that he materialized out a passionate hatred of you, just walked through the drat door like he's a player character. And he will punch through zombies to get at you! You've never met this dude before in your life, but he is on your dick and he is not playing by proper boss rules!

The dude hounds you throughout the game, but he's slick about it. See, Nemesis has the Official Prima Strategy Guide tucked into his crazy leather jacket/smock. He knows where every key item in the game is, and he knows you need those to progress. So he just hangs around until he hears that inventory screen open and then GUESS WHAT, PAL! Nemmy's back, and he still really fuckin' hates you! He can't follow you into Save Rooms, so he'll just calmly wait at the door, because you gotta come out sooner or later. You can fumble around with your ink ribbons and square valves all you want, buddy, it ain't gonna do poo poo about the haymaker waitin' for you the second you step outside.

But he doesn't want you to just run away, either. See, Nemesis has other stuff in his pockets, too. Goodies and loot and even brand new slick guns! You just gotta beat them out of him. Burn enough ammo and probably healing items, and even the mighty Nemesis may fall! For your efforts you receive half a gun and have to spend the next twenty minutes avoiding regular chump enemies because you have like 4 bullets left, and like hell are you going back to an item box for that dinky little knife. But then you grab the next gemstone or golden gear or mythical car battery or whatever and suddenly "STTAAAAAAARRSSSSS". Oh, did you think he was dead? Nemesis ain't dead, don't be ridiculous.

Nemesis does not give a gently caress about game rules. Sure, you can get bitten, mauled, and sucker punched by every goddamn zombie in the tri-state area, but you never get infected because you're the player character. Nemesis says "gently caress you, I hate your dumb face!" and BAM! You are infected now, sucker! Nemesis breaks down a loving loading screen to get at you. A loading screen! This dude is loving with the very fabric of his own reality, but he doesn't care, because he hates you that drat much!

So, you finally are stuck in a very obvious boss area with The Nemesis. The B Villain is dead, the plot is nearly wrapped up, there's a lab with naked zombies; this is clearly the end of the game. Time for the final showdown. You could shoot Nemmy, but that just makes him madder. You gotta burn off his limbs and head with valves of acid (which is insanely unsafe, get your poo poo together, Umbrella), then drop him into a giant vat of even more acid, then flush the whole thing like some sort of giant biohazard toilet. Nemesis is dead, like super unbelievably dead. Last you saw of him, dude was a pile of melted flesh.

But it's the end of a Resident Evil game, right? So, obviously, a giant timer pops up and you gotta get the gently caress outta Dodge before everything explodes. And then, over the sirens, you hear a noise. A gross, wet noise, like Satan sharting. GUESS WHAT STUPID! NEMESIS AIN'T DEAD! Even reduced to a big gross blubbering pile of festering meat and boney tentacles, Nemesis does not give a gently caress! He has a job to do, goddammit, and that job is to kill you. Not Jill Valentine. YOU, the player. He hates you and he hates your stupid face and your stupid family and your stupid dog and all he wants is you to be miserable. 8 thousand bullets and grenades won't kill him. The acid mega-toilet won't kill him. The giant ridiculous rail gun designed to kill Tyrants doesn't kill him! Nah, you need to deliver a devastating Cut-Scene Death (tm), and all that does is keep him down long enough for you to drop a loving nuke on his head front bits!

Tyrant gets chumped by a rocket launcher. Mr. X survives Birkin's lava pit, but still gets rocketed by a rookie cop with bleeding hole in his chest. Birkin himself turns into a giant pussy and blows himself up with his own dumb self-destruct. Alexia liked to hang around the magic space gun designed to kill her. Leechington was some sort of Dracula leech or something, and got the sun tan treatment. Even Wesker, The Man, can only take so many rockets before falling.

Nemesis? Nemesis ain't dead. At the bottom of a crater where Raccoon City once stood, surrounded by the charred, radioactive remains of yet another super secret Umbrella lab, a blackened lump of meat lies silently next to a small white box containing one eighth of a AK-47, waiting. Just waiting.

I'm always sad that Mark from Outbreak is never going to come back because he was basically Carl Winslow who hit things really hard with pipes and that's pretty much all I want out of a video game character.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

No the other person straight up can't do anything while it's going and it's really annoying/hilarious that you can't help out in anyway
Really? Because I'm sure I was trying to hit the bastard last time only for it to go all so horribly wrong. Maybe it's different depending on split-screen or online? Who knows. I'll find out for sure sooner or later; I'm due another run through with my usual co-op buddy after we finish RE5 (again), so I'll let him take on the hamburger monster while I see if I can run around in circles and resist the temptation to try rolling around with the Hydra instead.

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

other than throwing yourself into the QTE if you think you'd be better at it than the other person.
I let him do all of these things when possible, because then I can also blame him if it ends in disaster.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Yeah, out of all the RE characters Nemesis was definitely a step above the rest as far as living up to his name, being a goddamn nemesis who hounded you relentlessly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
I remember just standing in the local game store and watching the attract video for Nemesis play over and over. :allears:

I guess I don't recall any death animations from Resi6 because I only played it once. I'll check out the Youtube videos later.