Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Marching Powder posted:

ok but maybe consider that willie's doing it because it's his schtick and not because he can't find an easier way to let everyone know he hates gays than a 5 year long running joke

That's the point - it's just schtick. There's no substance. And he was told to drop the act once already. Gimmick posting has been around as long as message boards have been around, but even still typically the only individual gimmicks that stick around are good ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
causing people to snap and get legitimately angry is definitely a reason people have gimmicks, yes. i'm not sure people use gimmicks to brainwash mixed martial arts forums with anti-gay vitriol but if that really is the reason for willie's than i have to at least praise it for being pretty high-concept

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

If he was actually causing anyone to get angry that would be a different story. Trolling is one thing and is a beauty to behold when done right. We typically have a pretty gimmick free experience around here outside of Mr. Dee. And even still, some of his gimmicks are endearing. This one is just tired and old and was never really all that interesting even from the get go.

If william was actually funny about it, that might be one thing. It's nothing other than just drive by shitposting at this point.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud

Mr. Nice! posted:

If william was actually funny about it, that might be one thing. It's nothing other than just drive by shitposting at this point.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
Serious lack of fatherdog in this thread.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006
Willie Dee sucks

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS
Lot of posting about posters recently

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Someone please ask another question about anything other than this

Eat Bum Zen
Jul 19, 2013

*mumbles*
Rated T for Teen
is GSP being gay the funny response because he seems very not-gay, like a man who does not gently caress other men?

but hyeah this should go somewhere like irc where u gyus can argue in real time

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

Eat Bum Zen posted:

is GSP being gay the funny response because he seems very not-gay, like a man who does not gently caress other men?

but hyeah this should go somewhere like irc where u gyus can argue in real time

Hes never really had a girl friend (publically at least) and rumors of him being gay have floated around for a really long time, its not like willie dee started it.

Eat Bum Zen
Jul 19, 2013

*mumbles*
Rated T for Teen

Dangersim posted:

Hes never really had a girl friend (publically at least) and rumors of him being gay have floated around for a really long time, its not like willie dee started it.

ah,ok. still this argument is probably turning people off from MMA being cool

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

Tbf there are also a lot of stories that he really likes thick black girls so who knows. Who cares really.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011

Dangersim posted:

Who cares really.

Well, willie_dee for starters since he's been posting about it for years.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

willie_dee posted:

He threatened to suspend me if I carried on talking about it in that particular months thread when I first revealed the exclusive scoop, and then I talked about it with him on irc and he immediately figured out how I knew.

I haven't been on IRC since March. I'm not sure why on earth you'd lie about something like this, but in retrospect, I also don't care. Get out of PSP.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

fatherdog posted:

I haven't been on IRC since March. I'm not sure why on earth you'd lie about something like this, but in retrospect, I also don't care. Get out of PSP.

willie_dee posted:

He threatened to suspend me if I carried on talking about it in that particular months thread when I first revealed the exclusive scoop, and then I talked about it with him on irc and he immediately figured out how I knew.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

:dukedog:

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

Say hi to ain and paul pot willie

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

Speaking of UFC 200, it's up on Fightpass now for anyone with a subscription watch.

Rewatching the Nunes Tate fight, I had picked Amanda to win but she just destroys Tate from the moment they come up from the ground and she throws that knee at Tate, which I don't believe landed.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

Marching Powder posted:

i was at a pool party in downtown la and got talking to this guy who after about 2000 mimosas told me in confidence that he'd hosed keanu reeves. i didn't find that interesting because i hate gays, but because i thought keanu was straight.

I mean that's a good get

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own
GSP was always compared to Anderson as the GOAT of the time. He may have not finished that many guys as champion, but he was so good that it was amazing watching him dismantle dudes he always hyped up as "his most dangerous opponent".

If I remember correctly, didn't he also have panic attacks before fights, like crying and having this mentality that he was going to lose, only to go out there and beat fools who stood no chance?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

To move on: What would you guys think it is that makes a coach great?

Obviously, the likes of Edmond Tarverdyan are seen as a joke for obvious reasons and people like John Danaher, Mark Henry, Rafael Cordeiro and Firas Zahabi are seen as excellent. What's the biggest difference?

There's no resources for me around here to train, but what led those of you who do train to stick with those who you guys do train with?

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

Forceholy posted:

GSP was always compared to Anderson as the GOAT of the time. He may have not finished that many guys as champion, but he was so good that it was amazing watching him dismantle dudes he always hyped up as "his most dangerous opponent".

If I remember correctly, didn't he also have panic attacks before fights, like crying and having this mentality that he was going to lose, only to go out there and beat fools who stood no chance?

Yes he did have a Bad Time before going out and winning

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Josuke Higashikata posted:

To move on: What would you guys think it is that makes a coach great?

Obviously, the likes of Edmond Tarverdyan are seen as a joke for obvious reasons and people like John Danaher, Mark Henry, Rafael Cordeiro and Firas Zahabi are seen as excellent. What's the biggest difference?

There's no resources for me around here to train, but what led those of you who do train to stick with those who you guys do train with?

Tangentially, it's sometimes good to distinguish between "good coach" and "good cornerman". A good coach is someone whose fighters consistently improve in technical skill and overall game while training under them. A good cornerman is somebody who can say the right things during rounds and in between rounds to calm their fighter, get them back on the gameplan when they're straying, and occasionally point out things their opponent is doing that they can take advantage of. It's quite possible to be a good coach and a bad cornerman, and vice versa.

Eat Bum Zen
Jul 19, 2013

*mumbles*
Rated T for Teen
Who was Viktor "TAEDOWN MAYSHEE" Pesta's cornerman during that fight?

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Forceholy posted:

Even if this is not true I believe this because it totally sounded liked GSP wanted to quit the Alves fight after tearing his groin and Greg Jackson was like "HIT HIM WITH YOUR GROIN" and after the fight he mentioned it to everybody in the ring

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

1st AD posted:

Even if this is not true I believe this because it totally sounded liked GSP wanted to quit the Alves fight after tearing his groin and Greg Jackson was like "HIT HIM WITH YOUR GROIN" and after the fight he mentioned it to everybody in the ring

Dan Didio posted:

I also love Rashad Evans impression of GSP before a fight:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCU5Vq5-dGc

TheUltimateDoofus
May 21, 2016
this is cool, and shows how crazy the belt turnover has been in the past two years

https://eroshare.com/tsfif4nh

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroach went out of the room in anger. And roach's go to empty room...

Cockroache's Anarchist

TheUltimateDoofus posted:

this is cool, and shows how crazy the belt turnover has been in the past two years

cool but there's about 20 seconds of blank video at the end after Tate/Nunes for some reason

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

It was a wild and crazy time.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

link isn't working for me.

TheUltimateDoofus
May 21, 2016

Mr. Nice! posted:

link isn't working for me.

dmca'd I guess. it was footage of every belt turnover in the zuffa era

College Rockout
Jan 10, 2010

From the bloodyelbow interview GSP just did, talking about Conor's weightcut to Featherweight

quote:

GSP: No that's not true. That's not true. He walks around 180, 185.

Interviewer: I don't think he's coming back to FW.

GSP: I don't see that either. It's very bad for your health, for your organs, at long term.

McGregor is a big guy. He's a huge guy - for his weight class, he's huge. I don't understand how some guys cut like that - I mean, I have an idea.

Interviewer: A lot of Parsley?

GSP: I have an idea, but maybe they know something that I don't.

What's GSP referring to here with the whole "I have an idea" thing?

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

College Rockout posted:

From the bloodyelbow interview GSP just did, talking about Conor's weightcut to Featherweight

What's GSP referring to here with the whole "I have an idea" thing?

I presume he's suggesting Conor uses diuretics - a banned substance that makes you piss constantly so you shed water weight - to make the cut. He is also kind of just a weird guy with idiosyncratic speech patterns due to speaking in his second language, so he could just mean some other weird vague thing that only makes sense to him.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Bluedeanie posted:

I presume he's suggesting Conor uses diuretics - a banned substance that makes you piss constantly so you shed water weight - to make the cut. He is also kind of just a weird guy with idiosyncratic speech patterns due to speaking in his second language, so he could just mean some other weird vague thing that only makes sense to him.

It wouldn't be unlike a francophone to say something like "I have an idea" to mean something like "I know" or "I can imagine"

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

origami posted:

Serious lack of big bob pataki in this thread.

peramene
Oct 13, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
That OP is really intimidating - how does a total 100% newbie get into watching ladies beat the hell out of each other for fun and profit? Where should I start?

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

peramene posted:

That OP is really intimidating - how does a total 100% newbie get into watching ladies beat the hell out of each other for fun and profit? Where should I start?

i suggest watching The Ultimate Fighter: A Champion Will Be Crowned. Also The Ultimate Fighter: Rousey vs Tate is another great season as an introductory supplement.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I've noticed that a problem keeping me from enjoying real life actual fights as much as I could is that punches always seem weightless from a third person perspective. Not kicks, kicks that result in KOs always seem brutal, but punches it's like...someone glides their hand through the air, touches the other person, and they just fall to the floor. It's kind of anti climactic.

Maybe I should stick to rasslin.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

WickedHate posted:

I've noticed that a problem keeping me from enjoying real life actual fights as much as I could is that punches always seem weightless from a third person perspective. Not kicks, kicks that result in KOs always seem brutal, but punches it's like...someone glides their hand through the air, touches the other person, and they just fall to the floor. It's kind of anti climactic.

get punched in the face

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Hey, I said from a third person perspective. I just want to be entertained is all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

WickedHate posted:

The thing with punches is that no matter how much Joe Rogan screams about a fighter having one-punch knockout power, it's not power in a punch that makes your opponent go to sleep. After a certain level of impact, all you're doing is further rattling someone's brain around. It doesn't actually take that much force when appropriately applied to the point of someone's chin to knock them out, or rattle them enough that you can pounce on them for the finish.

• Locked thread