Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flagrama
Jun 19, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Morter posted:

Wait, what's a load?

Also I just mean to turn off the computer when I'm going to bed, once a night. Otherwise I'm more or less glued to this thing.

I would never want to run a HDD all the time, just a bunch of unnecessary wear and tear on it. On the other hand I'd rather just leave an SSD run all the time. I don't think there's too much issue with turning your computer on and off, though I'm not sure how the fast boot and kernel stuff works. If it saves poo poo to your drive for the faster boot, that is unnecessary wear on an SSD and should probably be avoided.

Overall probably not something to be too worried about to be honest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:coolspot:
Seashells by the
Seashorpheus
Kay, I'll just put it to sleep when I go to bed, so it can do nightly/weekly maintenance when needed.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Wear and tear on any non-lovely part is not a concern.

That being said, failures do happen and you should have backups of anything you treasure.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Shumagorath posted:

I set the "No auto-restart with logged in users for scheduled automatic updates installations" and it didn't install any updates from this Patch Tuesday until I specifically told it to, but I was running BitLocker on a new drive and that might have blocked it. I haven't used GPO to dictate update behaviour until 1607.

Yeah, I tried that out yesterday, and today there was a Defender update that was begging for attention. Hrm. Hopefully the "Configure Automatic Updates" setting by itself will do the trick.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Skarsnik posted:

Have you had the anniversary update yet? You can set times when you don't want it to restart
I have not. Sounds like they might have pulled it. Will keep an eye out, thanks.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

FronzelNeekburm posted:

Yeah, I tried that out yesterday, and today there was a Defender update that was begging for attention. Hrm. Hopefully the "Configure Automatic Updates" setting by itself will do the trick.
Defender updates shouldn't apply but I recall one being held up too? My main issue with rebooting is that a) this PC is a media server to other devices in the home b) might sit on a torrent for days at a time and c) has TPM + PIN BitLocker so a reboot is effectively a shutdown if I don't initiate it myself.

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender

Dr. Josef Mengele posted:

Is there something special I need to do to make OneNote Sync? I am logged in on both my iphone, onenote, and onenote2016 with a school account. The school account notebook shows up on all devices but the notes I tried making only stay on that device.

It should "just work". Check out the Sync Status (on 2016 - File > Info > View Sync Status. Don't have an iphone so I don't know where you can check it on that), make sure there aren't any problems with that.

Also is there a way to chane the "Note" icon in the notification center to open "OneNote2016" instead of just "OneNote"?

*TRIGGER WARNING-REGISTRY MODIFICATION*

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/kimberj/2015/12/07/modifying-the-action-center-note-button/

(I haven't tried it out for myself, I just keep OneNote up all the time)

Can I remove the "OneNote" and just use the 2016 version, it makes no sense to have 2 versions of the same program doing the same thing but not syncing on the same computer.

You sure can. Run this in powershell to remove it.
code:
Get-AppxPackage *onenote* | Remove-AppxPackage
It doesn't touch the Onenote 2016 program, just the app that is provided through the store. If you want it back use the store app and install it from there.

benitocereno
Apr 14, 2005

Doctor Rope

sauer kraut posted:

Oh wow, just found out by chance that Anniversary Edge does hardware decoded VP9 on my Nvidia 960, no biggie.
Eat poo poo and die Chrome as soon as someone bothers to port uBlock Origin proper

Good news, it's almost done:

https://github.com/nikrolls/uBlock-Edge/releases

Latest build works really well, not sure when it's going to hit the store.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

sauer kraut posted:

Oh wow, just found out by chance that Anniversary Edge does hardware decoded VP9 on my Nvidia 960, no biggie.
Eat poo poo and die Chrome as soon as someone bothers to port uBlock Origin proper

uBlock Origin is the only thing keeping me on Chrome

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Edge extensions still aren't available in private browsing. This is a deal-breaker.

For security-conscious people, Chrome lets you toggle which ones are, and defaults to none of them.

EDIT: Also you'd think that if Firefox of all browsers can get color emoji working; what the hell, Microsoft.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Segmentation Fault posted:

uBlock Origin is the only thing keeping me on Chrome
NoScript keeps me on Firefox for anything other than trusted sites, but I just really like breaking everyone's tracking scripts. Edge + uBlock and LastPass is going to be great.

Also it still runs all extensions in Private mode. It would be nice to toggle LastPass / etc off in that case but I'm not about to install Chrome.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
As soon as true multiprocess (E10S with multiple content threads) gets enabled across the board, I'll absolutely start recommending Firefox again. Everyone looking for a replacement for the mess that Chrome has turned out to be should keep an eye on Firefox.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

xamphear posted:

As soon as true multiprocess (E10S with multiple content threads) gets enabled across the board, I'll absolutely start recommending Firefox again. Everyone looking for a replacement for the mess that Chrome has turned out to be should keep an eye on Firefox.

My text rendering is absolutely hosed in Firefox on Windows 10 and no amount of reinstalling or messing with about pages seems to fix it

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

101 posted:

My text rendering is absolutely hosed in Firefox on Windows 10 and no amount of reinstalling or messing with about pages seems to fix it
There's a Firefox thread, you could post there for help, but here's what the first reply will be: Have you done a profile wipe?

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

Sir Unimaginative posted:

EDIT: Also you'd think that if Firefox of all browsers can get color emoji working; what the hell, Microsoft.

Works for me. I just double checked because of your post.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Factor Mystic posted:

Works for me. I just double checked because of your post.

Okay; how?

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

That's how it looks on Chrome to me too. I didn't realize it was so colorful on Firefox.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

For reference, for those without Windows 10 (possibly 8.1?) and Firefox

For further reference, color emoji fonts are all-caps WEIRD.

The Apple way is to use a bunch of PNGs in an ostensible font file. These things only scale well if the images are (and therefore the font file is) enormous.

The Google way (which Linux adopted ish) is to use a bunch of SVGs in an ostensible font file. Precise, small, standard ish. Not too bad, but if your system's font manager doesn't know how to handle SVGs it'll throw up or at least reject it somewhat gracefully.

The Microsoft way is to extend OpenType with layers. Falls back to mono gracefully, small like SVG. In theory you could also custom-color the emoji, for good or ill, but I haven't seen that much beyond the inclusion of skintone modifier characters, and it could be hard to work with as type has traditionally been single color per character and you'd need to have a graceful way to change the entire glyph's palette gracefully to match - which may be not just difficult but hard.

That said, I expect not supporting layered OpenType from Google and Chrome since they're only dealing with Windows at all to gather users and hopefully drag them away to Android and ChromeOS, but you'd think Microsoft would adopt their own technology in their own browser.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Aug 12, 2016

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

http://emojipedia.org/emoji/%F0%9F%A4%B7/

CFox
Nov 9, 2005

101 posted:

Using display scaling? I ran into issues like that before I set it back to just 100%.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Oh yeah, also, most people see emoji places like Twitter, and at least Twitter substitutes images in for emoji glyphs on at least its Web site.

So it's entirely possible for people to never notice because they've never seen emoji type outside a phone.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
So how do I actually import bookmarks from Chrome to Edge? I want to give it a shot, but importing does absolutely nothing.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
This is typical Microsoft, but the Firefox bookmark work-around I found was to import them to IE first then into Edge.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Shumagorath posted:

This is typical Microsoft, but the Firefox bookmark work-around I found was to import them to IE first then into Edge.

Not working. IE picked them up just fine, Edge won't do IE or Chrome.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Forget about Edge, it's not worth using anyway

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?

dissss posted:

Forget about Edge, it's not worth using anyway

I am using edge as my primary browser, its nice and very touch friendly. But to each their own

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.
Does the Anniversary Update install all up-to-now released KBs? The update ran last night and I have been experiencing the problem that's described here. But it involves a KB that's a couple months old and I can't remember if it was installed before the update or not. If I check the update history on Windows Update, all it gives is the Anniversary Update.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

The Anniversary Update is to OG Windows 10 as Windows 8.1 is to Windows 8 - basically a new OS with its own patch set.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
Edge in Anneversary Update Windows 10 is great. It's built on Chrome so porting extensions from that should be easy. Once uBlock Origin, Disconnect, and HTTPS Everywhere inevitably make it onto the browser it'll be what I recommend to everyone. Right now Edge's biggest problem is the negative perception it has from its association with Internet Explorer.

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.

The Anniversary Update is to OG Windows 10 as Windows 8.1 is to Windows 8 - basically a new OS with its own patch set.

Oh, I figured. I guess I'll just occasionally google it and hope a fix comes. According to the link I posted, the fix was to uninstall the problematic KBs but that's impossible if they're hardbaked into the OS now.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

Edge in Anneversary Update Windows 10 is great. It's built on Chrome...

Do you have a source for this?

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

chippy posted:

Do you have a source for this?

Ah, I was inaccurate. It's not built on Chrome but it is meant to be a Webkit-workalike. From Wikipedia:

quote:

EdgeHTML is meant to be fully compatible with the WebKit layout engine used by Chrome and other browsers. Microsoft has stated that "any Edge-WebKit differences are bugs that we’re interested in fixing."

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
Haha ok, sounds like Microsoft speak for "we're actually going to make this one standards compliant" without having to admit that IE isn't.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Yeah, anniversary edition Edge is a big step up in terms of performance, and is far ahead of Chrome for touch devices. It needs more extensions, but getting adblock and lastpass right out of the gate was a good move.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

That said, I expect not supporting layered OpenType from Google and Chrome since they're only dealing with Windows at all to gather users and hopefully drag them away to Android and ChromeOS, but you'd think Microsoft would adopt their own technology in their own browser.

It seems they added colored fonts on Windows two months ago, so it should be in the Developer branch if not the beta by now.

Also, Edge supports colored fonts just fine. However, its default font is not a colored font, and since colored fonts aren't standardized, Web pages would need to specify "Segoe UI Emoji" to get it to work. It's still an easy fix the Edge team hasn't bothered with for some unknown reason.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

chippy posted:

Haha ok, sounds like Microsoft speak for "we're actually going to make this one standards compliant" without having to admit that IE isn't.

Being webkit compliant is not the same as standards compliant.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Edge in Anneversary Update Windows 10 is great. It's built on Chrome so porting extensions from that should be easy. Once uBlock Origin, Disconnect, and HTTPS Everywhere inevitably make it onto the browser it'll be what I recommend to everyone. Right now Edge's biggest problem is the negative perception it has from its association with Internet Explorer.
It's not "built on Chrome"; the extension engine is compatible but the actual browser engine is much cleaner.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

chippy posted:

Every version of IE has been as standards compliant as any other browser around the day it comes out or even better (especially for IE4, IE5 and IE6, IE was far and away better on standards then contemporary Netscape or Opera or whatever else was around). The problem always was they wouldn't really move onto new standards until they released a whole new version of the browser years apart, unlike how since ~2004 or so other browsers were much quicker to patch things in.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Shumagorath posted:

It's not "built on Chrome"; the extension engine is compatible but the actual browser engine is much cleaner.

Yeah I realize that now, I was inaccurate in that post. It's meant to be a workalike, I guess sort of like how GNU/Linux is a workalike of Unix.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

Yeah I realize that now, I was inaccurate in that post. It's meant to be a workalike, I guess sort of like how GNU/Linux is a workalike of Unix.

The term is CLONE.