Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I do wonder if they made Bert kinda go all in with it instead of how he acted before so there wasn't more morally grey stuff with leaving him to die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

bobjr posted:

I do wonder if they made Bert kinda go all in with it instead of how he acted before so there wasn't more morally grey stuff with leaving him to die.

Dude still committed mass murder

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

My dreams have come true

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

AtheistMantis posted:

Now that I think of it, was Bert's special ability his size? What if it was actually the ability to produce immense heat, and his size was just a thing unique to him. Then tiny Armin titan has the ability to turn into a fireball. And the survey corps just learned about the concept of baseball. What a twist!

Aren't all the Titans inside the wall Colossal Titans?

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Lamebot posted:

So I'm guessing when they reach the basement that we're going to get a reveal that Mikasa is officially super special too with medical logs and journals from her checkups with Grisha. With Armin getting The Power this seems like the way its gonna go down. She may not be a titan but no child should be able to crush a knife handle like she did.

Actually, I'm betting the reveal regarding her is going to be that Grisha was behind the plot to kill Mikasa's parents. He knew that Ackermann genes + Asian ninja clan = something awesome, so he arranged it so he could become her foster father. Maybe with the aim of experimenting on her.

Don't gotta spoil speculation by the way.

And are we ever going to see what Mikasa's tattoo is? It's been so long it feels like the author forgot about it.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Vengarr posted:

Actually, I'm betting the reveal regarding her is going to be that Grisha was behind the plot to kill Mikasa's parents. He knew that Ackermann genes + Asian ninja clan = something awesome, so he arranged it so he could become her foster father. Maybe with the aim of experimenting on her.

If this were the case, it isn't hard to guess what the "something awesome" with Mikasa is, or why Grisha would want to experiment on her. She's the product of two genealogies that were immune to the King's memory erasure.

Grisha couldn't have been content at removing the current king, or he would have killed the king far sooner. He further wants to prevent any future titan shifters from gaining the memory-altering ability and taking control of humankind in the same manner. Mikasa's genetics might be the key at developing a transferable immunity. It's actually possible that Grisha has already done this, and that while working as a doctor he was secretly inoculating his patients from memory erasure.

Alternatively, assuming that the memory-altering ability is somehow linked to the coordinator ability, he might actually want to inoculate the titans, and that the ultimate purpose to studying Mikasa is to prevent titans from being controlled.

Given that Grisha was originally from the titan shifters that opposed the King, and that the goal of those titan shifters is to seize control of the coordinator ability, the latter situation might be the more likely.

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Aug 10, 2016

Drink Top
Jul 21, 2012
I'm wondering how exactly are they going to train Armin to use his powers. Unlike Eren, Armin's powers will probably stop anyone like Hanji from being around and directing him. I'm also guessing that he wont be as large as Bert, since Bert was around 6'0'' at least in his human form and titan forms probably reflect some of the user's natural physique.

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son

Drink Top posted:

I'm wondering how exactly are they going to train Armin to use his powers. Unlike Eren, Armin's powers will probably stop anyone like Hanji from being around and directing him. I'm also guessing that he wont be as large as Bert, since Bert was around 6'0'' at least in his human form and titan forms probably reflect some of the user's natural physique.

Then why was Ymir's titan relatively small considering she was fairly tall herself

I don't think that poo poo matters too much, there's probably just random traits, Annie is short and her titan was as tall as Eren's

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

HoneyBoy posted:

I don't think that poo poo matters too much, there's probably just random traits, Annie is short and her titan was as tall as Eren's

Has anyone brought up how shifters receiving their power from eating another shifter grimly recontextualizes her relationship with and promise to her father?

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Aug 10, 2016

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son
Are you saying Annie ate her dad like Eren did?

I haven't actually thought about Annie since the anime aired, I wonder if they're gonna do anything with her again

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

So when will Mikasa get Titanised?

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
The ocean is just a big lake.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

HoneyBoy posted:

I haven't actually thought about Annie since the anime aired, I wonder if they're gonna do anything with her again

It's not certain, but I think it's likely.

Who's to say if it'll ever come up, though, especially since she might not show up again.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤

HoneyBoy posted:

I thought it was pretty clearly someone else that Annie ate - in the anime scene with her dad apologizing to her, there's a destroyed home in the background. He was also begging her to come home to him after the mission, which one doesn't generally do before sacrificing yourself. If anything, it was probably Annie's mom who got scarfed up.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Tenzarin posted:

The ocean has the ruins of the modern world in it, they're all on a huge island in the future after climate change ala Waterworld.

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son
It's funny how all of humanity, and really all of the world we know of in the AoT universe is this walled off haven surrounded by huge forests and titans

what if inventors like Grisha just focused on steam/combustion engine modes of transportation and booked it instead of making anti-titan spiderman weapons

:eyepop:

nah but really there's potentially so much poo poo but nobody can get anywhere, loving basement's been eluding the recon corps for like 80 chapters lmao

HoneyBoy fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Aug 12, 2016

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

HoneyBoy posted:

It's funny how all of humanity, and really all of the world we know of in the AoT universe is this walled off haven surrounded by huge forests and titans

what if inventors like Grisha just focused on steam/combustion engine modes of transportation and booked it instead of making anti-titan spiderman weapons

I mean, the comic does address this.

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son
I've forgotten more than half of the "lore" by this point

I'm subsisting on a month by month basis, seeing what little scraps the author feels like giving us

like when are they gonna go talk more about the wall titans, or the church, all that poo poo is more interesting imo

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

Did I miss the link or is the Crunchyroll version not out yet?

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son

MH Knights posted:

Did I miss the link or is the Crunchyroll version not out yet?

There's a kissmanga link somewhere in the last pages

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

HoneyBoy posted:

nah but really there's potentially so much poo poo but nobody can get anywhere, loving basement's been eluding the recon corps for like 80 chapters lmao

The church/government explicitly keeps the technology from getting too advanced.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

HoneyBoy posted:

The government keeps weapon and transportation technology from advancing. There were scenes showing the Military Police killing some people who made a hot air balloon, and some guy who made a revolver I think.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

So its confirmed, the main character ate his dad right?

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

Tenzarin posted:

So its confirmed, the main character ate his dad right?

Yes they confirmed that like a year ago.

Christ. This battle that just ended took like 11 months.

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son
I just want to see Eren v Reiner MMA animated already

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Red Suit posted:

Can we get to the basement now please

Watch the basement be the goal of the entire series and everyone only getting to it in like 2020.

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

Yes they confirmed that like a year ago.

Christ. This battle that just ended took like 11 months.

I'm really glad I stopped paying attention to this series and only just now thought to check up on it. 11 months of basically no interesting development :psyduck: What's in the loving basement????????????????

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Aug 19, 2016

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
I just marathoned this over the past few days. It was good since I didn't have to wait on anything.

The manga's nearing the end of its run soonishly, right?

EvilTaytoMan posted:

So when will Mikasa get Titanised?

I figured this was inevitable and was shocked they didn't find a way to inject Mikasa at the expense of both Erwin and Armin. Her human form is already worth a dozen titans, though. I've really come to dislike her as a character.

BTW what's this thread's spoiler policy? Didn't see it in the OP.

Deified Data fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Aug 21, 2016

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
The author has said he's changed his plans for the series a lot, so it might not end at 20 volumes or whatever it was like he initially said

He also might be tempted by the cash cow devil

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son
The only flaw Mikasa has is her inability to kill humans

slay a couple dozen titans nbd I'll do it with one arm tied behind my back, slice through a human neck whoops you got me there

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
Except for that slaver during her childhood?

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Captain Invictus posted:

The author has said he's changed his plans for the series a lot, so it might not end at 20 volumes or whatever it was like he initially said

He also might be tempted by the cash cow devil

I think the other problem is that AoK is almost single-handily keeping the magazine it runs in alive.

Pretty tough to tell the people who gave you your first break "I'm going to end you now." Not to mention all the other mangaka running in that magazine.

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son

ETB posted:

Except for that slaver during her childhood?

shame she could somehow kill a grown man when she was like 7 but not Reiner/Bert years later

They pulled the same poo poo with Levi, it still bugs me

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

I thought her flaw was the thing where she doesn't live for herself or humanity she just lives for Eren? Although that may be different now.

I always really liked the fact that she can't reach him when they need to move the boulder but Armin can, because whilst Eren is the most important thing in her life Armin gave Eren his original dream and is arguably the most important thing after killing titans to Eren.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.

HoneyBoy posted:

shame she could somehow kill a grown man when she was like 7 but not Reiner/Bert years later

That's because they were her friends for thrre years and she couldn't secure the kill because their pained faces threw her off.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
She couldn't kill the other three strongest members of their squad in one hit, wow, so surprised.

But I take it everyone forgot they were that strong, huh?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Reiner is so strong he got overpowered by Eren and needed his 100ft friend to drop on top of him to save him

Then he later gets dropped by Mikasa even faster

Strength doesn't matter when you explain it to people and don't actually show it, Reiner hasn't been threatening since he first appeared and wrecked Zhiganshina. He also would've gotten mulched by Mikasa when she attacked him if Isayama wasn't like "Oh they've been friends for 3 years" despite the fact Reiner and Mikasa literally never interacted before that moment.

Captain Baal fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Aug 22, 2016

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son
I'm still tight about the fact that Eren was literally about to CRACK REINER IN HALF using titan MMA and it would've been the sickest most brutal poo poo ever before Bert belly flopped and ruined it

I like those 1v1 evenly matched titan fights better than Levi turning into a Beyblade or Gorilla Grodd throwing shotgun pellets

In It For The Tank posted:

That's because they were her friends for thrre years and she couldn't secure the kill because their pained faces threw her off.

this sounds retarded by the way, Mikasa has shown, or rather it's been made a point of multiple times, that she's willing to throw her and other people's lives away for Eren, why would she hesitate for these fuckwads though? It's inconsistent I guess and that's lame.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

HoneyBoy posted:

this sounds retarded by the way, Mikasa has shown, or rather it's been made a point of multiple times, that she's willing to throw her and other people's lives away for Eren, why would she hesitate for these fuckwads though? It's inconsistent I guess and that's lame.

I'm struggling to think of an occasion when she actually said something like this (that she'll kill anyone to save Eren) but my impression from it is that saying something so callous and actually being that callous are two different things, especially when the people she needs to kill were her trusted friends. I mean, it's easy to try to intimidate someone you hate (I'm guessing she said it to someone like Levi) but another to decapitate two people you've known for several years.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

In It For The Tank posted:

I'm struggling to think of an occasion when she actually said something like this (that she'll kill anyone to save Eren) but my impression from it is that saying something so callous and actually being that callous are two different things, especially when the people she needs to kill were her trusted friends. I mean, it's easy to try to intimidate someone you hate (I'm guessing she said it to someone like Levi) but another to decapitate two people you've known for several years.

She didn't seem to have a problem trying to gently caress Annie up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

MeLKoR posted:

She didn't seem to have a problem trying to gently caress Annie up.

She'd had a few days to come to terms with it as the Recon Corps returned from beyond the walls and formulated the plan to capture Annie. Mikasa had to attack Reiner and Bertolt like a minute after she found out they were shifters, when all she'd had before then were Hange's suspicions. Plus, when she attacked Annie, Annie was transformed into a titan. She had to attack Reiner and Bertolt while staring into their agonized and shocked human faces.

Mikasa and Annie also never liked each other, while at least Reiner was popular and well liked by everyone because he was like a big brother.