Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Explore a lot? Game's pretty self-explanatory, as you'd imagine.

Maybe that you can buy a super bomb in Dark World Link's house to blow open the cracked wall in the pyramid after you beat dungeons 5 and 6, I don't think that's ever explicitly told to the player.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
You can hold out your sword and push it against walls, if it makes a different sound the wall is hollow and can be bombed. There's a few secret bombable walls like that.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Instant Sunrise posted:

I know I'm obviously late to the party on this, but I just started playing Link to the Past, anything I should know?

Game is good.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
I'm just wondering if i shouldn't preemptively replace the CR2032 battery before i get too far into the game

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Instant Sunrise posted:

I'm just wondering if i shouldn't preemptively replace the CR2032 battery before i get too far into the game

It's not a very long game but I would, especially if it's the original battery.

SylvainMustach
Dec 12, 2007

Superior Trash Talk!
just wanted to pop in and say the goons were right.

should've got Windwaker before Twilight Princess.

I only wish that I had waited for the Nintendo selects as I got the digital copy during the E3 sale. If I continue to enjoy it as much as I am now I'll still get the retail.

It's amazing how much better it is than TP and how it highlights all the ways I feel like TP wasn't fun (backtracking early on, terrible intro, hideous NPC and what felt like loading times between every room that I went to in the dungeons. and the monkeys). Also, for being a remaster that came out three years earlier it looks way better than the TP HD. Maybe I havent played enough of the new one next to the old one but it still doesn't look great. I realize that WW's aesthetic lends to better/easier remastering, but it just feels like a game that could've come out this year brand new and I wouldn't have second guessed it.

TP can suck a turd, windwaker is fun as hell.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
My NES and SNES games still have all their saves. I've never replaced a battery.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

SylvainMustach posted:

TP can suck a turd, windwaker is fun as hell.

WW will always look good because of stylistic choices. TP looked kinda bad even when new.

BotW is looking more stylized like WW, with a watercolor sort of look, and I like that.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Trent posted:

My NES and SNES games still have all their saves. I've never replaced a battery.

Save batteries last quite a long time, but a bunch of the NES/SNES era ones are old enough that age alone is starting to take them out. Some of mine from childhood have needed replacement, others haven't.

(The main ones that need regular replacement are games with Real Time Clocks like Gen 2/3 Pokemon games since the clock burns them out a lot faster.)

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

BillmasterCozb posted:

Playing through the TP remake, I've found out that I do not like midna.

i actually couldn't get enough of minda. at the start of the when you first meet her you are filled with questions: who are you? why are you helping me? how did you personally get to know the princess zelda? obviously she had her own motivations and interests for us to work together, but of course once her plans finally begins to come together she is defeated, injured, and dying. zelda saves her and she finally realizes that we are all in this together. the bond between midna and link grows and it goes from scratching each others backs to holding hands and taking the plunge together. at the end they succeed, save hyrule and the twilight realm and with tears in her eyes midna breaks the twilight mirror saying goodbye to link for the last time never forgetting him and what he did throughout the journeu.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Carbon dioxide posted:

I thought it uses the sensor bar when aiming weapons

In other news,

Welp, Nintendo DMCA'd them and it was taken offline. Only a few days after they DMCA'd the Metroid fangame.

I really think Nintendo's got a solid strategy here..wait til a project hits a 1.0 release (AM2R's been in development for years and has had a handful of playable demos), then wait a day or two, then do the copyright takedown. Everyone wins, Nintendo defends their IP as they are more or less obligated to do...but there's enough of a window for fans to get ahold of the final product. And once it's out there somewhere, it will never be truly gone.

SylvainMustach
Dec 12, 2007

Superior Trash Talk!

Trent posted:

BotW is looking more stylized like WW, with a watercolor sort of look, and I like that.

I agree. I'm just glad that I'm enjoying WW because TP had me worried that I'd never get into 3d Zeldas

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Trent posted:

I've heard that in some cases just turning the game on to check your save isn't enough to determine if the battery is OK; you have to do something like create a brand new save, power it off and wait 24 hours, and then check to see if it's still there to determine if the battery is still producing enough charge.

Having spent the past year modding my systems to work on my HDTV my next project is probably going to be to replace all of the batteries in my cartridges, just to be safe.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Between the forced stealth dungeon and the boring sailing I didn't get very far in WW. I really liked TP but I don't think I could ever play it again.

2D Zeldas are the best Zeldas.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

RBA Starblade posted:

Between the forced stealth dungeon and the boring sailing I didn't get very far in WW.
:rolleyes:

Funny story: I recently got WWHD when it went on digital sale, and I beat the Forsaken Fortress without getting caught, but I forgot that there is actually something hidden in the cell room and had to go back looking for it when I was wrapping up 100%ing* the game and missing one piece of heart. (it wasn't there)

*charts&hearts. I didn't bother with the pictobox statues, really.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

jivjov posted:

I really think Nintendo's got a solid strategy here..wait til a project hits a 1.0 release (AM2R's been in development for years and has had a handful of playable demos), then wait a day or two, then do the copyright takedown. Everyone wins, Nintendo defends their IP as they are more or less obligated to do...but there's enough of a window for fans to get ahold of the final product. And once it's out there somewhere, it will never be truly gone.

It's probably because it didn't have major publicity until it was actually done and out the door.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's probably because it didn't have major publicity until it was actually done and out the door.

Really? I saw a ton of news articles about AM2R, especially when they announced the release date.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I'm glad that the miracle of torrents makes every shared file effectively immortal

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Neddy Seagoon posted:

If you're only peripherally aware of Metroid fandom you'd have known about it for years

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Lemming posted:

If you're only peripherally aware of Metroid fandom you'd have known about it for years

Yeah, but it still didn't have much publicity until release. I didn't even know it was around for 10 or so years until a couple months back.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Neddy Seagoon posted:

There's no way in hell Nintendo wasn't at least vaguely aware of it.

I really think their corporate strategy is to give people just enough time to backup a fan project before dropping the hammer. It's the best way to satisfy all legal obligations without being cruel to fans. They easily could C&D every single fan project they become aware of the day they become aware of it.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
most "Nintendo C&D'd our game!" claims are usually fake, maybe the developer wanted to move onto a new project, or they didn't want the project to somehow come back and bite them in the rear end.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.
In this particular case, they've specifically said they haven't received a C&D and will continue working on the game. The whole thing seems kind of weird with that bit.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
:siren:
I just wonder why it doesn't happen to certain Mario and Zelda fangames.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Cheez posted:

I just wonder why it doesn't happen to certain Mario and Zelda fangames.

Well, there was the 30th Anniversary Zelda 1 3D that got taken down for being Zelda 1. And there was the Super Mario 64 HD thing that got taken down even though it was only one level, probably because the guy was basically using it to advertise his Unity plugin. And these were just in the last year.

The real reason is probably because all of them got too big and Nintendo couldn't pretend they didn't exist. Too much mainstream media coverage to turn a blind eye. Things like Zelda Classic and Super Mario Bros. X have never gotten that kind of exposure, as far as I know.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I'm curious, why does Nintendo act upon all this fan stuff when Valve never shuts down fan projects like this and you even see some of them released on Steam from time to time? Valve doesn't seem to care about things that use their IPs and they aren't losing their trademarks or anything.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

s.i.r.e. posted:

I'm curious, why does Nintendo act upon all this fan stuff when Valve never shuts down fan projects like this and you even see some of them released on Steam from time to time? Valve doesn't seem to care about things that use their IPs and they aren't losing their trademarks or anything.

Valve has a vested interest in supporting fan creators as mods are a big thing for them and are the owners of Steam and use those materials as promotions for both their IPs and their service. There's also a lot of other factors in play not in the least of which is that Nintendo is a Japanese company.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Aug 12, 2016

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

So shouldn't Nintendo be snatching up the really good projects like AM2R and distributing them to make a buck? I mean, why not grow their IPs with such things rather than just shut them down?

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Instant Sunrise posted:

I know I'm obviously late to the party on this, but I just started playing Link to the Past, anything I should know?

If I could go back in time to my childhood and replay a game for the first time without knowing anything, it'd be this one.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

s.i.r.e. posted:

So shouldn't Nintendo be snatching up the really good projects like AM2R and distributing them to make a buck? I mean, why not grow their IPs with such things rather than just shut them down?

Well, for one, Nintendo likes having extremely strong control over their IPs. It's a major factor in why they remain a console developer instead of going third party and it is only recently they've been willing to branch out to mobile.

Another is that it's impossible to tell the quality or viability of a project like AM2R at first blush or indeed until it's almost finished. "This project looks good" devolving into a giant messy clusterfuck is common enough that you only need to look at Kickstarter to get a feel for it. AM2R was in development for 10 years and was the work of novice developers who had the advantage of no timelines or budgets to work on. Snatch it up early enough and you risk it exploding. Snatch it up late and you look at PR troubles for taking a 'free' thing and making it cost money.

Third is that "snatching up a project' can be messy when it involves a bunch of fans creating a work together without contracts or previous authorization. Imagine if one guy who did spritework or music or something started making a fuss over it. It's super-easy for fan projects made for fun to implode if they go commercial and it can become a huge headache.

Fourth is that it can legitimately devalue the brand. If Nintendo makes Metroid Dread, a 2D sidescrolling callback to the classic Metroids, you'll now have people going "Well, someone made Metroid 2 Remake FOR FREE, why should I pay $20 for it?" If Nintendo grabs it and releases it for $5 you'll hear the same thing. People won't care that it is a 10-year project using recycled assets, just that they got it for free. If Nintendo isn't associated with it then you'll still hear that but it'll at least be "a fan did it" instead of "Nintendo did it."

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Aug 12, 2016

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Look at how much Capcom has done with the Mega Man property after they published the Mega Man vs Street Fighter fangame! They released an nes ROM collection another company begged to let them make!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

greatn posted:

Look at how much Capcom has done with the Mega Man property after they published the Mega Man vs Street Fighter fangame! They released an nes ROM collection another company begged to let them make!

There is literally a new Mega Man series starting later this year/early next year.

If you're asking why Capcom hasn't done more with it that is because Mega Man was not a series that was very healthy. Its sales numbers were in the toilet and it kept getting a push being Keiji Inafune was a higher up and it was his baby. The last time Mega Man was meaningfully successful was Mega Man Battle Network and MMBN4 killed that.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

ImpAtom posted:

There is literally a new Mega Man series starting later this year/early next year.

That everyone hates, and something like six years later.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
boy i sure do hate jousting. i REALLY hate jousting but i need to use arrows

no i do not have bombs, they are all gone

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

greatn posted:

Might be good, who knows. It can't be worse than MN9 so it might have that going for it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

greatn posted:

Right, because the guy pushing Mega Man to continue despite poor sales left the company.

(and "everyone hates" is pretty silly considering there are exactly two pictures and a summary of it.)

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

ImpAtom posted:

Well, for one, Nintendo likes having extremely strong control over their IPs. It's a major factor in why they remain a console developer instead of going third party and it is only recently they've been willing to branch out to mobile.

Another is that it's impossible to tell the quality or viability of a project like AM2R at first blush or indeed until it's almost finished. "This project looks good" devolving into a giant messy clusterfuck is common enough that you only need to look at Kickstarter to get a feel for it. AM2R was in development for 10 years and was the work of novice developers who had the advantage of no timelines or budgets to work on. Snatch it up early enough and you risk it exploding. Snatch it up late and you look at PR troubles for taking a 'free' thing and making it cost money.

Third is that "snatching up a project' can be messy when it involves a bunch of fans creating a work together without contracts or previous authorization. Imagine if one guy who did spritework or music or something started making a fuss over it. It's super-easy for fan projects made for fun to implode if they go commercial and it can become a huge headache.

Fourth is that it can legitimately devalue the brand. If Nintendo makes Metroid Dread, a 2D sidescrolling callback to the classic Metroids, you'll now have people going "Well, someone made Metroid 2 Remake FOR FREE, why should I pay $20 for it?" If Nintendo grabs it and releases it for $5 you'll hear the same thing. People won't care that it is a 10-year project using recycled assets, just that they got it for free. If Nintendo isn't associated with it then you'll still hear that but it'll at least be "a fan did it" instead of "Nintendo did it."

Seems like a waste of talent; maybe not even scoop up the project but the developers of said projects. Also, what would happen if someone's project was C&D'd, but they went back and replaced all of the art with original stuff so it wasn't just a Metroid game or something, would Nintendo have any grounds to stop the project now that it technically has nothing to do with Metroid?

greatn posted:

Yeah but no one cares about Megaman anyway, so all is good.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

s.i.r.e. posted:

Seems like a waste of talent; maybe not even scoop up the project but the developers of said projects

IIRC they mostly have jobs already. The development lead talked about how his work on AM2R helped him get an actual programming job. It's also not really possible to easily translate "I made a thing in Game Maker" to creating a game for the Wii U/NX.

s.i.r.e. posted:

. Also, what would happen if someone's project was C&D'd, but they went back and replaced all of the art with original stuff so it wasn't just a Metroid game or something, would Nintendo have any grounds to stop the project now that it technically has nothing to do with Metroid?

Probably not but the game borrows a ton of assets from official Metroid games and redoing all of those would be incredibly difficult.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Aug 12, 2016

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

ImpAtom posted:

Right, because the guy pushing Mega Man to continue despite poor sales left the company.

(and "everyone hates" is pretty silly considering there are exactly two pictures and a summary of it.)

i mean, everyone hated a certain upcoming metroid game after a 30 second trailer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

BillmasterCozb posted:

i mean, everyone hated a certain upcoming metroid game after a 30 second trailer

That's no Metroid, god drat you.