Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!
Maybe Skellybones mod won't run at the same speed on all settings after these optimizations!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
i posted in the warham mod suggestion thread about a few things but its resulted in one of the mod team giving a defense to the skaven event thing

i think his argument is weird and kind of dumb but it might be that im just weird and dumb

quote:

You misunderstood. Yes it's a punishment mechanic, but it's not punishment to do what we the developers want. It's punishment to make the underempire more lore friendly. As for punishments over incentives, there's actual a couple of issues there. In general bonuses are a better idea than maluses, except when dealing with mechanical reinforcement. The world of warhammer is not a nice place, especially in the underempire. Mechanics that give you the stick rather than the carrot reinforces that theme. Like I said, all the skaven stuff is up to Silfae, but I stand behind what he's done with him. If you think there's not enopugh of a reason to pick "yes" over "no" for the event we just need to make the "no" more punishing.

my earlier argument was that the event choice A. wasn't fun to deal with, B. was a punishment for failing to do what the dev team wanted (stay under the province soft cap) when either no choice or an incentive would be better, and C. was a pointless choice since if they are just doing a roundabout mechanical implementation (limiting provinces) then they should just have the event do that instead of giving a badly implemented choice, and D. that it didnt even accomplish their goal of having a cap because it was _never_ a good choice to lose provinces.

i think the whole "lore/harshness" angle he's at is just as silly as the "realism" argument people make about other things in games. intentionally creating an event that people will hate really doesn't have a good justification ever, imo, especially since you can create that lore-friendly feeling without it, and harsh games do not rely on being a jerk to players as opposed to providing hard challenges. i feel like its a nonrefutable sort of nonargument so i think im kind of done bothering trying to debate against it, but maybe i just don't "get it".

i hate arguing

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Goofballs posted:

At any point will the game focus the ai more on places where wars are actually fought over or if that's not possible reduce the penalty for holdings being conquered a million miles from the fight. Like in my current game I have or had like over 70% threat so wars are going to be harder, fair enough. But what lost me the last one was the ai just conquering provinces that were nowhere near the duchy that the war was declared over.

Like if I'm going to fight over Toulouse and my troops mash countless doomstacks in Toulouse and have basically rolled over the holdings in the duchy why does it matter if the abbasids are wrecking poo poo out in Crimea? Or the rest of the world in some places that's nowhere near anything. If they take over Genoa or Lombardy, fair enough that's probably relevant. Those are right next door. I can see there being a negative penalty for that but I can't move my stacks between Crimea and Toulouse fast enough to stop the holdings just being reconquered.

That's the entire point. If your realm is in France/Aquitaine you're not supposed to have holdings in Crimea. The system is designed to encourage you to just give Crimea its independence to avoid that kind of thing.

LaSalsaVerde
Mar 3, 2013

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Heh, why stick to Geheimnisnacht and it's lifeless factions

Geheimnisnacht has some very content rich races to play, but there's so much available and it is, after all, a mod. So yes, Skaven, Ogres, Beastmen all kind of suck, but Chaos, Vampires, Empire, even Bretonnia/ChaosDwarves are all pretty developed.

quote:

when you can boot up After the End enjoy playing a Paiute Mormon and... still not get too many events. But at least there's something. Stole the Kingdom of Idaho from the Anthophiles after about my fourth revolt with the same ruler.

I also love After the End but it has the same problem. It is a mod, and a lot of the religions and cultures are almost completely devoid of content. Look at Mesoamerica some time. Still an awesome mod, can't really fault it for developing slowly when it is entirely out of free time.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

I like to have cheevos as my goal in ironman games. A few of those involve vast conquering. On top of that I might not necessarily want Crimea but if some Duke in the realm takes it getting it off him and the counties he has in it so I can get rid of Crimea isn't always an easy task because revoking that much stuff is going to take a few imprisonments and probably small wars if I don't want gigantic tyrant penalties and endless civil wars. The way it is now with a large realm you might as well disable declare war at over 50% threat because chances are you're just going to be playing whack a mole across a continent unless a lot of the ai are involved in their own civil wars. If they make stacks bigger than my stacks and I get squashed in and around the duchy I want to take, fine but hunting down stacks is boring and if they're taking holdings at speed it makes the goal unachievable in an annoying way.

Just one goon's opinion. I'm sure you take in a lot player feedback and change stuff on the overarching reaction. Like any number of years that's less than like 50 isn't a big deal in the long term.

Goofballs fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Aug 9, 2016

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

I think this is the one DD that could possibly have been written to give me back my ability to feel human care about this game again. Really hoping those optimization claims pan out better than the last ones.

Caustic Soda
Nov 1, 2010

Tiler Kiwi posted:

i think the whole "lore/harshness" angle he's at is just as silly as the "realism" argument people make about other things in games. intentionally creating an event that people will hate really doesn't have a good justification ever, imo, especially since you can create that lore-friendly feeling without it, and harsh games do not rely on being a jerk to players as opposed to providing hard challenges. i feel like its a nonrefutable sort of nonargument so i think im kind of done bothering trying to debate against it, but maybe i just don't "get it".

I'm with you here. Realism/lore-friendliness may be the motivation for setting up rule/system/situation X, but that says nothing about whether the implementation is fun. Now in some cases, for some people, realism can be fun in itself (I've been there in other cases), but that doesn't mean it will be.

For me personally, part of the fun with Geheimnisnacht are the silly scenarios it can present. Like your story of the hot-for-skaven courtier who became a (relatively) reliable vassal. The mod could stand to have some more of those possibilities, IMO.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~
Welp, played through a bit of the game today rather than just fiddling with the ruler designer and looking at mods (Elder Kings looks neat as hell). Game's kind daunting to wrap your head around. But I started a (mostly - used RDU to not fuss over traits and such) vanilla game today, as a norse tribe in Austisland on Iceland. Promptly went and conquered the other county and started to go raid Ireland, got a few counties worth of loot there... and then some other realm, Ostandlet, up and declared war, I got my 500 or so troops back just in time to get their poo poo kicked in by a 2,000 troop army. :v:

DMW45 fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Aug 9, 2016

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I assume they used that Decision that allows Tribal rulers to summon troops.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

I assume they used that Decision that allows Tribal rulers to summon troops.

I don't really have any idea, but their realm was already about twice my size, though.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

BenRGamer posted:

Welp, played through a bit of the game today rather than just fiddling with the ruler designer and looking at mods (Elder Kings looks neat as hell). Game's kind daunting to wrap your head around. But I started a (mostly - used RDU to not fuss over traits and such) vanilla game today, as a norse tribe in Austisland on Iceland. Promptly went and conquered the other county and started to go raid Ireland, got a few counties worth of loot there... and then some other realm, Ostandlet, up and declared war, I got my 500 or so troops back just in time to get their poo poo kicked in by a 2,000 troop army. :v:

Congratulations! You're about to become a vassal of Harald Fairhair.

He's the dude who's traditionally considered the first king of Norway, though he never subjugated the whole country (he never got the north).

Also, Iceland and the Faroe Islands maaay have been mainly settled by people trying to escape his rule.

Have fun!

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

ThaumPenguin posted:

Congratulations! You're about to become a vassal of Harald Fairhair.

He's the dude who's traditionally considered the first king of Norway, though he never subjugated the whole country (he never got the north).

Also, Iceland and the Faroe Islands maaay have been mainly settled by people trying to escape his rule.

Have fun!
Ehhh, criminals, libertarians and second sons is a fairly good approximation

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

Schizotek posted:

Maybe Skellybones mod won't run at the same speed on all settings after these optimizations!

:supaburn:

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

Caustic Soda posted:

I'm with you here. Realism/lore-friendliness may be the motivation for setting up rule/system/situation X, but that says nothing about whether the implementation is fun. Now in some cases, for some people, realism can be fun in itself (I've been there in other cases), but that doesn't mean it will be.

For me personally, part of the fun with Geheimnisnacht are the silly scenarios it can present. Like your story of the hot-for-skaven courtier who became a (relatively) reliable vassal. The mod could stand to have some more of those possibilities, IMO.

Yeah I'm going to complain to someone about this, fun should always come before simulationist boredom.

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

direct current :roboluv: only
The list of new things for modding is nice, but rather than all these character commands that tell you stuff about traits, it would be more useful for the mods I want to make.

I've been working on one which decides since you're effectively playing as some kind of body-hopping entity, that can only possess the legal dynastic heir at the point of death, that it might be fun to remove those restrictions, so I copy as much over as I can.

Immortality through continuation of personality rather than persistence of body.

Gold is easy, piety and prestige needed events pinging back and forth.
Titles work by explicit abdication, but I can't do anything about character modifiers.
Copying stats works to some degree, but not being able to compare against the base stat before modifiers means that it gradually grows over generations even without the random events that raise the base stat.
Some personality traits can be copied with the reincarnation stuff, but the conditional for whether there are traits to copy is unreliable, so I've got a loop where the player has to day whether they have finished copying traits.
If there was an any_trait scope that let you check whether they were personality traits then add them to characters this would be a more general solution to reincarnation which modders could use for other things without having to list every trait in their mod.

I'd also like the variables to be extended so you can compare variables with different names on different characters. Working around this by copying the variable to a temporary name to copy it between characters before I can compare them means I can't do this in triggers.

I'd also like a way to set a variable to a unique ID, but I can handle that by iterating over every character etc.

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!

The mod is still great man. But it does chug along at a pretty slow and steady pace.

TropicalCoke
Feb 14, 2012
There should be an indicator in the find character window on each character portrait showing if they'd accept an invitation to your court. I've wanted this since release and its still the most annoying part of the game for me. Wales has no good diplomats! Let me invite one easily, paradox, not click through dozens of Irish scotch and welsh men.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
Finding characters is a bit of a slog in general. Finding a wife for example, the search functions are pretty pitiful and if you want to check out something else the window closes and you lose your place, a problem if you're powerful and the list is a mile long. I should be able to narrow a search to, say, a 10+ stewardship Frenchwoman between 18-25 if I want to but it's a game of a lot of scrolling and checking at the moment.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Skellybones posted:

Yeah I'm going to complain to someone about this, fun should always come before simulationist boredom.

That'd be nice; I'm probably misinterpreting/misrepresenting his arguments since, well, what the gently caress do I know, and I worry if I'm just complaining since my style of play in CK2 tends to lean towards map painting / poo poo wrecking as opposed to more RP-ish sort of stuff, so I've just got a dislike for the demesne limit mechanic in general. Having only two provinces of troops to counterbalance your hateful minion's faction strength seems like an utterly agonizing way to play, since there's no real way to work against that. But I think I could stand to live with it if it was implemented better and it wasn't imposed as this silly, intentionally irritating event, but I'm getting the vibe that even if playing a skaven was utterly impossible or not fun at all, it'd be considered okay as long as it was "lore friendly", which is not a direction I agree with, fundamentally.

like i think the limit to province count could work real well, if there was more of a means for a skaven warlord to play around with their subject's opinion modifiers, combined with a bunch of events related to it. mainly in a sort of system where you have a bonus that grows larger over time but any sort of apparent weakness starts rapidly diminishing it, meaning you have to do things like find fallguys for your failures, murder anyone that you think might be working to undermine you (and sometimes best friends ala blackbeard's "“If I don't kill somebody now and then, you'll forget who I am!”" philosophy), and creating enemies for everyone else to focus on instead of you. preferably the whole thing turns into this engine of murder, lies, and bitterness that flares out into a horrible collapse with nobody to blame but yourself and your hubris, but something of an amusing collapse as opposed to "faction deposed you and new ruler took your provinces/you lost access to breeders and died at 25 with no heir/you then got overthrown by another underling and lost your only title/got conquered by an AI dude because these limitations do fuckall to limit the AI, gg"

the fact i theorycraft stupid poo poo a lot is another reason i do not trust my own judgement about game mechanic things :v:

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

TropicalCoke posted:

There should be an indicator in the find character window on each character portrait showing if they'd accept an invitation to your court. I've wanted this since release and its still the most annoying part of the game for me. Wales has no good diplomats! Let me invite one easily, paradox, not click through dozens of Irish scotch and welsh men.

You're in luck! This was mentioned in a dev diary few weeks ago.
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/ck2-dev-diary-15-assorted-cool-things.956075/

"Another old annoyance, characters in the character finder now have icons to indicate if they will or will not move to your court, and another to show they are outside of Diplomatic Range:"

TropicalCoke
Feb 14, 2012
I can die happy.

That being said, I have recently gotten back into the game after a year or so and its holding up well. Haven't played with the Conclave additions yet, but it seems the prevailing sentiment is that it makes things a bit hackneyed. Any cool features or should I hold out for plagues and cats?

Frogfingers
Oct 10, 2012

TropicalCoke posted:

I can die happy.

That being said, I have recently gotten back into the game after a year or so and its holding up well. Haven't played with the Conclave additions yet, but it seems the prevailing sentiment is that it makes things a bit hackneyed. Any cool features or should I hold out for plagues and cats?

It sucks to be the king, but being an archduke and pushing him around and seducing his wife is quite fun. Try a vassal nomad or the 1066 Karling (Vermandois) start.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

I haven't played CK2 in a while but I'm getting the itch again. How's Conclave? I like the idea behind it but Steam reviews are mixed.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Wafflecopper posted:

I haven't played CK2 in a while but I'm getting the itch again. How's Conclave? I like the idea behind it but Steam reviews are mixed.

The steam reviews are mostly reviewing the patch with the few half baked features which can be switched off on the next patch.
And unless your playing just to paint the map a fast as possible the DLC is good.

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

Dallan Invictus posted:

I think this is the one DD that could possibly have been written to give me back my ability to feel human care about this game again. Really hoping those optimization claims pan out better than the last ones.

:same:

The side-by-side comparison in particular looks pretty promising.

Automated Posting
Jan 12, 2013

So what determines whether or not you get someone's gold when you banish them? I've a bunch of guys in my dungeon who I can banish and get the pittance of gold they have on them (from 25 to 60 gold each), but then I've got this one guy with two-thousand five hundred gold on him, and I apparently won't get any of his dosh if I banish him- it says I'll eat 20 tyranny in the diplo menu, but does not say I'll get any money. How does this work?

Frogfingers
Oct 10, 2012

Automated Posting posted:

So what determines whether or not you get someone's gold when you banish them? I've a bunch of guys in my dungeon who I can banish and get the pittance of gold they have on them (from 25 to 60 gold each), but then I've got this one guy with two-thousand five hundred gold on him, and I apparently won't get any of his dosh if I banish him- it says I'll eat 20 tyranny in the diplo menu, but does not say I'll get any money. How does this work?

If they have an heir, the titles and money go to them. If its an unlanded mook with fat stacks, they go to you when you kill or banish them.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Can't say I'm a big fan of having to choose between a penalty for too many duchies or a tyranny penalty for going against the council because they don't want to let me give one away.

Frogfingers
Oct 10, 2012

Wafflecopper posted:

Can't say I'm a big fan of having to choose between a penalty for too many duchies or a tyranny penalty for going against the council because they don't want to let me give one away.

It doesn't matter if you can drive them into a civil war that you can win. You can imprison and purge those malcontent bastards in turn. What kind of limp-wristed monarch are you, anyway?

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
But civil wars keep you from conquering. Look, the Abbasids have loving shattered from a decadence revolt, this is not the time for some uppity horseman from Lower Fuckoffia to decide he doesn't like his khan of khans.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Frogfingers posted:

It doesn't matter if you can drive them into a civil war that you can win. You can imprison and purge those malcontent bastards in turn. What kind of limp-wristed monarch are you, anyway?

Being raised in a democratic nation turns your brain to poo poo, man.

Tho yea, ^ is a fair point.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
On a completely unrelated note, this game coupled with my American public education has given me a weird situation where I can identify historical places more easily than modern ones. I was playing Euro Truck Simulator and wound up driving along some coastline. A quick look at the map had me thinking "Oh, I'm on the Frisian coast. ...It's not still called Frisia, is it? I'd think I'd have noticed." Later, as I was planning another route, I saw I'd need to take a ferry, then drive up through an area I could only identify as Sjaelland, though I knew that wasn't what it was called now.

e: No joke, CKII is the only reason I know where Afghanistan is.

Dareon fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Aug 12, 2016

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
I just re-numbered the entire set of character IDs in Geheimnisnacht :psypop:

pwnyXpress
Mar 28, 2007
Welp, inherited a temporary revolt title as Emperor of Scandinavia in my ironman game. Was so close to getting that Seven Centuries achievement, too.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Every time I try to play CK2 I end up playing as Mali.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

I have the same problem but with Ireland.

Bloody Pancreas
Feb 21, 2008

I absolutely hate playing in the HRE. The constant succession plots, civil war threats, and just general instability make it a living hell to play in. A leader can't go 10 years without going through a catastrophic succession crisis.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Bloody Pancreas posted:

I absolutely hate playing in the HRE. The constant succession plots, civil war threats, and just general instability make it a living hell to play in. A leader can't go 10 years without going through a catastrophic succession crisis.

That's why I love playing in the HRE. My only problem is that I always seem to find myself stuck at Medium Crown Authority while I'm still fairly small, and then a lot of the fun goes away.

I sure hope the optimization that is coming will be enough to make CK2 fairly playable on my computer again, because I miss that chaos.

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

Dareon posted:

." Later, as I was planning another route, I saw I'd need to take a ferry, then drive up through an area I could only identify as Sjaelland, though I knew that wasn't what it was called now.

It's not? :raise:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
It's Zealand in English. Still Sjælland in Danish.

• Locked thread