Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Scrapez posted:

I tried to wipe the thing, thats what I'd like to do, and apparently did not succeed because it still brings up the guy's Apple ID prepopulated whenever it tries to access the Apple Store.

When I hold down Windows+R on boot, I get the OS X Utilities screen where it has Restore From Time Machine Backup, Reinstall OS X, Get Help Online and Disk Utility.

I select Reinstall OS X. It has me login to the App Store and then reinstalls the OS. When I'm done, it seems that all the old apps, settings, etc are still there.

Yeah that's because Apple's installer is a little less harsh than Windows, which is what I presume you're used to. In OS X, things like user accounts and settings are quite distinct from operating system files, not intertwined in weird ways like in Windows, so an OS "reinstall" can completely replace the original OS install without affecting anything else.

To do a wipe, boot in Recovery mode, select Disk Utility and use it to reformat the drive. Then quit out of Disk Utility and install the OS.

If you want to make sure it's really really wiped, click around when reformatting and find the option to overwrite all the old data with zeroes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

BobHoward posted:

If you want to make sure it's really really wiped, click around when reformatting and find the option to overwrite all the old data with zeroes.

But don't do this on an SSD

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

Is the fusion drive an ssd? It's a Mac mini with 1 gb fusion drive.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Scrapez posted:

Is the fusion drive an ssd? It's a Mac mini with 1 gb fusion drive.

It's somewhat an SSD? It's both.

The problem with doing it on an SSD is that 1) because of wear-leveling, overwriting with zeroes doesn't actually securely erase everything like it did on platters and 2) it wears down the SSD with a LOT of writes, and SSDs don't like lots of writes. Pretty silly problems to think about considering you could have a cat grow to old age and die before your SSD fails from too many writes, rather than some other failure.

But the underlying storage is a platter drive, so if it gives you a secure erase option and you're paranoid, go for it.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

I love GarageBand and iWork

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

When I startup with CTRL-R and go into the Disk Utility it shows:
Internal
Fusion Drive
Macintosh HD

When I view it, it says it's a 1.11 TB Logical Volume OS X Extended

Disk Images
Apple disk image Media
OS X Base System

When I view it, it says it's a 2.01 GB Disk Image External Physical Volume OS X Extended

When I click on the Macintosh HD Fusion drive and click erase, it pulls up the dialog to name it and select the format. When I click Erase, it fails immediately saying:
Unmounting disk3
Couldn't unmount disk.
Operation failed...

Is there some different way that I should be attempting to erase the drive?

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
So I discovered that youtube has a 1080p48 video format, and that apparently safari's html5 player doesn't like it very much.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

48fps???

:negative:

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Yeah I was surprised too. I found a couple other 48fps videos which I could play so maybe it was just that video.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

isn't that the double frame stuff Peter Jackson used

Weedle
May 31, 2006

The Milkman posted:

isn't that the double frame stuff Peter Jackson used

Yeah and it looked like trash

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Weedle posted:

Yeah and it looked like trash

Yeah it was so bad that they totally abandoned it after like two films.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Also one of the framerates used for IMAX. But 1080p would be ghetto for IMAX :colbert:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

My GF saw Hobbit in 48fps iMax and said it was one of the biggest disappointments of her life. She couldn't get over how lovely it looked.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

IIRC 48fps requires twice as bright lighting as 24fps so if you're filming both one of them is guaranteed to look bad, and studios have 100+ years of experience shooting (and lighting) 24fps so 48fps is pre-hosed.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Lots of tech channels do 60fps youtube videos, they look a little unusual, but not necessarily bad. Terrible for actual cinema, though.

Speak of cinema, I wish there was a native netflix app for MacOSc

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

well why not posted:

Dunno what MacOSc (Mac Oscillator?) is but Safari 9 and up handles HTML5-standards based video streams just fine, never had a problem with Netflix on any Mac made in the last three years.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Aug 12, 2016

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I actually think Safari is the only browser on Mac that supports 1080p. I know chrome definitely didn't for a while

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Can it do above 1080? 4k is happening! I imagine a native app could leverage hardware better than a browser.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Yeah as far as I remember it can (could be wrong here) I THINK I had it running 4K on the 5k iMac but I could be talking poo poo

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

well why not posted:

Lots of tech channels do 60fps youtube videos, they look a little unusual, but not necessarily bad. Terrible for actual cinema, though.

I think 60fps video looks like complete garbage and I can't really figure out why it's become so popular in certain circles. I have a background in video production though so I'm probably more sensitive to that stuff than most people.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Cyne posted:

I think 60fps video looks like complete garbage and I can't really figure out why it's become so popular in certain circles. I have a background in video production though so I'm probably more sensitive to that stuff than most people.

I can't say I really notice it in YouTube videos. I find that the 60FPS videos are usually shot really nicely and with a good camera though (see MKBHD)

101 fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Aug 12, 2016

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

It makes me happy that cinema audiences recoiled in horror from high frame rate stuff. 60fps and higher stuff is fine for games and running Macs and stuff but for films it's bad

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
I never saw the high frame rate Hobbit. Kinda wish I would have just I could decide either way if I like it or not

Weedle
May 31, 2006

101 posted:

I never saw the high frame rate Hobbit. Kinda wish I would have just I could decide either way if I like it or not

YouTube has trailers in 48fps.

Feral Bueller
Apr 23, 2004

Fun is important.
Nap Ghost
60fps is big with eSports people as they are frequently streaming a game UI and they look better at 60fps. 1080p 60fps is the current performance requirement if you want streaming rights for major esports events.

Additionally, Chrome supports 1080p 60fps -- benchmarked a stream this week.

Feral Bueller fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Aug 12, 2016

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Anyone got some good examples of YouTube links that run at 60fps? Would be keen to try it on my TV, although I'll have to just presume it's feeding through the right frame rate as I don't have any way of monitoring that element. But I presume it will pick the best (I know it does with 4K at least).

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

It feels like every video game commentator guy does 1080p60 now.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
For game videos I strongly prefer the 60fps stuff. I also play on an 144hz monitor.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

EL BROMANCE posted:

Anyone got some good examples of YouTube links that run at 60fps? Would be keen to try it on my TV, although I'll have to just presume it's feeding through the right frame rate as I don't have any way of monitoring that element. But I presume it will pick the best (I know it does with 4K at least).
Could probably just search for 60fps and a bunch should come up. But yeah it's mainly a gaming thing, like I have some myself, Trials game vids at 720p60 if you just want to click something. Er actually it looks like I have 30fps and 60fps versions of the same run for a direct comparison. (And annoyingly the YouTube mobile website doesn't seem to do 60fps, only in their apps :argh:)

I've also seen some smooth looking 30fps videos that are sourced from 60. They have some kind of motion smoothing/interpolation rather than just throwing away half the frames, but I don't know if any examples off hand.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

101 posted:

For 3D it was really really good. Awful on 2D though.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

EL BROMANCE posted:

Recent Linus Tech Tips videos, recent-ish AwesomeSauce Networks (terrible names) are at least 1080 / 60fps. Some are 4k I think, too.

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

The Milkman posted:

For game videos I strongly prefer the 60fps stuff. I also play on an 144hz monitor.

Ah OK, yeah I can see its use for game stuff, but live action 60fps generally makes me cringe.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

So at some point Chrome updated and it no longer will let you hit backspace to go back a page. I thought "this is a good time to switch to Safari and give it a try", but they apparently do the same thing. I know why such a thing was removed, but I still hate that it's not an option on either browser.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
You could always use the Keyboard sysprefs to change the menu command to backspace, or get used to hitting cmd-back arrow.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

101 posted:

It was pretty good but it's clear it's a "movies with color/sound" situation for people that are really unused to it.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

kefkafloyd posted:

You could always use the Keyboard sysprefs to change the menu command to backspace, or get used to hitting cmd-back arrow.

where have you been all my life?!

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

qutius posted:

where have you been all my life?!

Or two-finger swipe left on the trackpad (I think this becomes one-finger on the Magic Mouse).

kefkafloyd posted:

Unfortunately you can't make a menu command without a modifier key, and you can't make any that involve the delete key at all.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Is unlocking your Mac wth an iPhone coming to MacOS?

I'm using MacID at the moment which is pretty good but it tries to unlock the Mac every time I get a notification 🤔

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emoji
Jun 4, 2004
Tell the developer he is responsive and fixed an issue I reported within days.