Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

C-SPAN Caller posted:

I hope the crazy person that did Arkh Project writes an dissertation on why that looney tunes episode was racist and the thread talks about it because I sure as hell am not going to read a word of that garbage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics

Flying-PCP posted:

Does the AV Club guy just not like Looney Tunes or something? He gave this one a C+, he hardly ever gives any episode of this show below a B. Apparently it really bothered him that they used 'cartoon rules' regarding how much abuse Peridot could survive without poofing.

i can see why people might not like this episode, but that's like giving Say Uncle an F because Sadie and Lars could never realistically afford a boat

Sticky posted:

Steven Universe S4: Sad gay, so what.

winner winner chicken dinner

PhysicsFrenzy fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Aug 12, 2016

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009
so this means Ruby and Shappire's rooms are different from garnets. I really just want to see all of their rooms, even if its just in a venn diagram like thing

Flying-PCP
Oct 2, 2005

PhysicsFrenzy posted:

i can see why people might not like this episode, but that's like giving Say Uncle an F because Sadie and Lars could never realistically afford a boat

The only criticism of Kindergarten Kid I can accept is that the art was pretty fuckin' weird in some places. Also it's funny that AV guy was specifically concerned about the consistency of the in-show universe because hoo-boy he's in for a ride next episode

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

havenwaters posted:

Tonight's episode leaked.

Puns: The Episode

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.
Footage provided by Cartoon Network

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

This show does such a good fuckin job of using musical motifs. I love Smoky's high-tempo chiptune stuff and really dig them using Opal's theme during her minigame.

Beekeeping and You
Sep 27, 2011

kidcoelacanth posted:

This show does such a good fuckin job of using musical motifs. I love Smoky's high-tempo chiptune stuff and really dig them using Opal's theme during her minigame.

They also used sugilite's theme! It stood out, because that theme is INCREDIBLY dramatic and dark. I can't remember if Alexandrite has one.

Also it wasn't fair to compare poor smokey to sugilite or alexandrite :( The little strength game proved she was just as strong as Garnet, who's also made of two tiny gems. The part where Sardonyx was trying to figure out what connected Amethyst and Steven, and the answer being "They both feel like total failures, and like they can't live up to their potential" was also hard to watch.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

MrSlam posted:

I just can't stop laughing at that, it's a perfect meta joke. Plus, "do we still have to pay her?". some people want this show to be all serious plot-feels all the time, and these people are dumb, because when this show goes profoundly silly is when it reaches its greatest heights.
It's still eerie how effective Natasha Lyonne is as Smoky Quartz, how she sounds kind of like both Amethyst and Steven, and yet more than either.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
She's not actually in this episode, do we still have to pay her? ...fair enough.

Really cute episode, just really nice interactions all around

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Beekeeping and You posted:

The part where Sardonyx was trying to figure out what connected Amethyst and Steven, and the answer being "They both feel like total failures, and like they can't live up to their potential" was also hard to watch.

I think it's not a spoiler to say that Smoky might become more powerful if both Steven and Amethyst gain more confidence somehow. Might see that someday.

I also guess that between Pearl, Lapis, and Amethyst, it's not really any wonder that Steven has developed a bit of a bad rhetoric about himself... though at the very least he has been pushing himself a lot harder and has been handling a lot more himself now.

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.
I love that I can tell when a new episode is available by how many posts this thread has since I last checked. <3

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!
If anyone wants to see the episode early I've uploaded it to my Youtube channel as a set of twenty-four 30 second videos.

Just kidding here's a link to another site which may have the video but probably also has dodgy malware infested ads!

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Almost done with the new thread. There are so many god drat characters to go over since this current thread was made. I got through all the gems though and now just have to go through the humans who I don't plan to spend too much time one.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

So I guess that's it, huh? No more daily Steven.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.

Acne Rain posted:

I think it's not a spoiler to say that Smoky might become more powerful if both Steven and Amethyst gain more confidence somehow. Might see that someday.
I also guess that between Pearl, Lapis, and Amethyst, it's not really any wonder that Steven has developed a bit of a bad rhetoric about himself... though at the very least he has been pushing himself a lot harder and has been handling a lot more himself now.

Beekeeping and You posted:

The part where Sardonyx was trying to figure out what connected Amethyst and Steven, and the answer being "They both feel like total failures, and like they can't live up to their potential" was also hard to watch.
I think you're right.

Steven's been told he's special his entire life but that was always in the shadow of his mom. He's wide-eyed and optimistic most of the time but you can tell he's under a lot of pressure to live up to her. Not just from the gems but from himself.

A detail I didn't pick up on in Earthlings is that they first bonded/fused over the fact that there are just people they're never going to live up to be even though they were "supposed" to. Amethyst will never be Jasper and Steven will never be Rose. But like we see with Bismuth and Bubbled that's not neccessarily a bad thing.

poo poo man. Children's cartoons got me thinking about life again.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

jassa posted:

If anyone wants to see the episode early I've uploaded it to my Youtube channel as a set of twenty-four 30 second videos.

Just kidding here's a link to another site which may have the video but probably also has dodgy malware infested ads!

If you haven't already redd it, you'd know BeachCity is the place to be.
And the real trick is to upload a 50 minute video that's just an ad for a malware infested site, instead of making multiple smaller ones.

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!
^^^ Yeah, I found a full version on another site I visit DAILY. :v:

Pearl: Those two are acting very suspicious. Shall we ask them what's going on?
Garnet: ...I can't.
Pearl: Right...

Is that just Garnet trying to avoid future-vision spoilers or is there something more to that exchange? It seems weird for Garnet to be so uncomfortable using her future vision.

jassa fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Aug 12, 2016

Buckets
Apr 10, 2009

...THE CHILD...
I appreciate that they maintain the fact that Garnet is incapable of asking questions.
^I'm too slow!

Note Block
May 14, 2007

nothing could fit so perfectly inside

Fun Shoe

jassa posted:

Pearl: Those two are acting very suspicious. Shall we ask them what's going on?
Garnet: ...I can't.
Pearl: Right...

Is that just Garnet trying to avoid future-vision spoilers or is there something more to that exchange? It seems weird for Garnet to be so uncomfortable using her future vision.

I took it as Garnet being unwilling to admit whatever was going on was outside of her future vision's scope.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

PhysicsFrenzy posted:

IIRC they actually rated Say Uncle very highly (though the fact that the episode explicitly stated that it was non-canon probably helped). Then Story for Steven got a slightly lower (but still pretty high) score (main complaint being that the episode felt too short) and people in the comments section were not happy.

Demon Kaizoku
Nov 30, 2006

When Steven Universe throws his mighty shield, all those to oppose his shield must yield. If he's warped to a fight and sees a meanie in view, then the pink and the white and the maroon'll come through. When Steven Universe throws his mighty shield!
"I can't see nothin' in here."
"You cannot see anything, my darling."
Careful Sardonyx, your Pearl is showing. :3:

So I guess this means Sugilite and Opal have their own rooms too? Though I think it's still up for debate for any new fusions, or I guess they just conveniently can for magic reasons? Man, I'm really starting to wonder if we'll get any additional background or information about the temple as a whole.

Buckets
Apr 10, 2009

...THE CHILD...

Note Block posted:

I took it as Garnet being unwilling to admit whatever was going on was outside of her future vision's scope.

It's probably one of the most meta jokes they've made so far. Garnet's character guide says she's always meant to be confident and never ask questions, now it's an apparently literal character trait, like she has a mental block, rather than just a writers rule to follow.

Buckets fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Aug 12, 2016

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

MrSlam posted:

There's your fuckin' thread title right there.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Demon Kaizoku posted:

"

I loved how much she sounded like Pearl when she emphasized "But really, please, don't

e:

TwoPair posted:

Kazy fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Aug 12, 2016

Note Block
May 14, 2007

nothing could fit so perfectly inside

Fun Shoe

TwoPair posted:

Agree

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

Skippy McPants posted:

So I guess that's it, huh? No more daily Steven.

Now just weekly steven, which is still better than no steven.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

I actually like weekly episodes best. I hope they manage to maintain that for a while.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
weekly steven until we get to plot episodes is fine
It seems like we're back into a string of lighter episodes, but with the gems instead of beach city so there's still plot reveals. That's fine for now, we've had enough posts about insane theories about fusions and diamonds and timelines to last a while. And again at least it's not one beach city anime reference/lars/ronaldo episode a week.

Flying-PCP
Oct 2, 2005
The synopses for the next few episodes are enticingly vague, like I literally have no guess as to where they're going with them

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Demon Kaizoku posted:

"I can't see nothin' in here."
"You cannot see anything, my darling."

So I guess this means Sugilite and Opal have their own rooms too? Though I think it's still up for debate for any new fusions, or I guess they just conveniently can for magic reasons? Man, I'm really starting to wonder if we'll get any additional background or information about the temple as a whole.

There's a (probably fake) spoiler clip floating around of Opal in her own room. That place probably has a life expectancy measurable in nanoseconds.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

So did they just completely drop the concept of having to do a fusion dance? Not that I mind, it seems impractical for these kinds of stories.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum

Kazy posted:

I loved how much she sounded like Pearl when she emphasized "But really, please, don't

e:

And also "Strong in a different way"

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT SPOILER BELOW

How the hell does Sugilite, let alone Alexandrite, get into their rooms?

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

jassa posted:

^^^ Yeah, I found a full version on another site I visit DAILY. :v:

Thats a very good MOTION.

is Smoky voiced by just Amethysts VA?

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

Sticky posted:

holy poo poo

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Steven Universe S4: The Earth is a prison that set me free

LemonLimeTime
May 30, 2011

I don't have low self-esteem. I have low esteem for everyone else.

Hihohe posted:

Thats a very good MOTION.

is Smoky voiced by just Amethysts VA?

She sounds very similar, but it's actually:

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Great episode, but I was sure that Sardonyx would be able to figure out Steven & Amythest like to eat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

Sticky posted:

:allears:

• Locked thread