Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
As someone who has less time than ever to play games I am very attuned to when a game is wasting my time. It's just not worth it with so many other entertainment options available.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

priznat posted:

As someone who has less time than ever to play games I am very attuned to when a game is wasting my time. It's just not worth it with so many other entertainment options available.

You should make a quick account over there and post that. I'll post it if you don't want to but I'd like to have more voices in there where the devs can see it.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Too bad there's nothing to do while waiting, I could understand if there were things to do but it's literally just find materials and make poo poo: the Game. At least give me a Peggle screen to play while I wait.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

One of the big changes of the last content patch was a bed that you could lay down in (while wearing full SCUBA gear still) and stare at the ceiling, so maybe the dev is just nuts and thinks waiting is fun

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Met posted:

You should make a quick account over there and post that. I'll post it if you don't want to but I'd like to have more voices in there where the devs can see it.

I did this when I realized that they already have a good example of using realistic crafting times to aid gameplay: the medkit fab.

So I posted my thoughts and pointed out the medkit fab connection.

DreamShipWrecked posted:

One of the big changes of the last content patch was a bed that you could lay down in (while wearing full SCUBA gear still) and stare at the ceiling, so maybe the dev is just nuts and thinks waiting is fun

Even that has gameplay applications in sprucing up your base to make it seem like a place someone would live in/work. Even in minecraft there's a bunch of tricks to make your builds seem like a place to live that have little effect on it's practical purpose.

EponymousMrYar fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Aug 12, 2016

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

EponymousMrYar posted:

I did this when I realized that they already have a good example of using realistic crafting times to aid gameplay: the medkit fab.

So I posted my thoughts and pointed out the medkit fab connection.

The water purification machine is a good one too, free water and salt in exchange for time, but you can get it instantly if you put in the effort to collect materials.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
The bed doesn't make any sense. I built it and thought "ok, this will probably let me skip night time so I can see underwater." Nope, you just sit there doing nothing.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

No poo poo? I never built one but that seems really dumb.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Cojawfee posted:

The bed doesn't make any sense. I built it and thought "ok, this will probably let me skip night time so I can see underwater." Nope, you just sit there doing nothing.

Yeah I assumed the same thing, where it would be like every other survival game and let you just skip time. But nah, just staring at the ceiling

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

EponymousMrYar posted:

According to that list, this change seems to be one that's for the sake of realism rather than gameplay, all of the minute+ times are on tools and other large items.

It makes sense why it would take a couple minutes to make something bigger but the only gameplay reason it serves is to slow down the whole loop. Especially the 4 minute build time on the constructor. That's just mean.

Fruit nerf at least supports other game systems (curing and filtering big waters) but this is just going to have people run 2 fabs in their bases rather than 1.

GlyphGryph posted:

Changing things for the sake of realism seems especially dumb when the new result is no more realistic than the previous result.

It's to please the Faux hardcore mentality that comes with any game with the words "Survival" on it anywhere.

There's a reason over the years I have become increasingly :argh: over any design decision people claim is for "Realism". Particularly because they turn around and don't give the slightest poo poo about realism when it does not suit their purposes.

Like how there are PDA files talking about being able to get piles of stalker teeth from both knife fighting sharks, and just taking them directly from the alien containment tank. Realistic, practical, mentioned in game!... Oh we can't do that.

Dev response? "Oh, yeah that's missleading. I guess we'll talk with our writers about that." And the average pubbie response is to tell you that you're just a violent nutcase who wants nuclear weapons/LOL just feed stalkers scrap! Nevermind all the threads about that being buggy as poo poo!

GlyphGryph posted:

http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/144325/crafting-speed

Here's the thread. The devs are reading it and posting in it, so yes, please weigh in. Right now the overwhelming chorus is in support of it and even expanding it for the sake of "realism", "exploration" and "loving with impatient people".

Here is the sort of feedback they like to listen to, it seems.

https://trello.com/c/cGCu429e/2702-35042-balance-lantern-fruit-are-op-suggestion-inside

july 22 post nerf comment posted:

Seems... fixed? changed? Whatever the appropriate word is.
Either way, much better. No longer can I carry four space-peaches and survive a 5 day expedition!

Official playtesters with permissions required to comment and vote on trello cards.

Boy, I sure missed out on when we had fruits that wouldn't rot after 5 days in your inventory. I bet that was super OP right guys? I bet if it wasn't true the Devs would notice and revert fruit nerfs, instead of just leaving them at 5/3 food/water based on people just loudly screaming they are OP and making poo poo up.

I'm not surprised at this latest turn of events. I just underestimated the degree it was coming :shepface:

Section Z fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Aug 12, 2016

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Seriously, I dig games with realistic survival things when you are a caveman trying to stop yourself from starving to death but when you can magic entire structures out of nowhere there is no reason why you couldn't invent basic stuff like a refridgerator.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Yeah I assumed the same thing, where it would be like every other survival game and let you just skip time. But nah, just staring at the ceiling

You don't understand. That wouldn't be realistic. If you want to skip the night you should sleep in a bed and then actually go take a short nap in real life. :shrek:

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Met posted:

You don't understand. That wouldn't be realistic. If you want to skip the night you should sleep in a bed and then actually go take a short nap in real life. :shrek:

I spend most of my time in bed staring at the wall and wondering why I am wasting my life there, it's a perfect simulation!

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Next up: having to carefully decompress from different depths for hours in a small chamber (gameplay time too!) lest you die from the bends.

24-7 Urkel Cosplay
Feb 12, 2003

DreamShipWrecked posted:

The bed has an unintended nihilistic side-effect when using it - giving the player a reminder that the character is in an unending living nightmare from which there is no escape or respite, not even sleep.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
A flashlight seems like a rather low-tech thing for the fabricator to take 90 sec to make.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Section Z posted:

Boy, I sure missed out on when we had fruits that wouldn't rot after 5 days in your inventory. I bet that was super OP right guys? I bet if it wasn't true the Devs would notice and revert fruit nerfs, instead of just leaving them at 5/3 food/water based on people just loudly screaming they are OP and making poo poo up.

I'm not surprised at this latest turn of events. I just underestimated the degree it was coming :shepface:

Now I did think fruit needed to be tweaked (it was a bit too easy a bit too early to rely on it as your sole food and water source combined) but when the feedback you're getting makes no sense it's not surprising if your answer to the "problem" is nonsensical I guess...

When I was developing Cataclysm, it's the same poo poo. Players don't know what the want, for the most part. It's worth listening to them to find where the problems are, but you should never take their "solutions" at face value. Players can point out problems, but they aren't developers. Like, an architect might listen to a customer complain about how hard it is to access part of a building, but a good one would not implement the customer's solution of knocking out some supporting struts to open things up no matter how great an idea it seems to the client...

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Aug 12, 2016

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Y'all could just chill back in a comfy chair and look out a window at some of the game's gorgeous wildlife in its natural habitat. Sometimes it's nice just to take it all in; not every second of life has to be some kind of Adderall-fueled action sprint mall madness shopping spree

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Trustworthy posted:

Y'all could just chill back in a comfy chair and look out a window at some of the game's gorgeous wildlife in its natural habitat. Sometimes it's nice just to take it all in; not every second of life has to be some kind of Adderall-fueled action sprint mall madness shopping spree

I could immerse myself in the environment and relax while i swim and explore around my home base, or I could do the same thing while standing and looking out of a 10x10 glass window. Why go to the beach if you have a jar of sand on your windowsill?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Trustworthy posted:

I could do that without being required to do so.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
I like the furniture, dont know if i will ever use it but i appreciate decorations

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

Aren't you the guitarist for the feed dogs?

I liked playing subnautica on freeform mode, lol gently caress that hunger/water juggling bullshit. I want to explore and die for explorering too hard.

Apocadall fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Aug 12, 2016

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Ooooh, the forum natives are mad you folks are posting, hahah.

quote:

This thread quickly devolved into dog-piling to coerce the developers with a "popularity" vote into discarding their design decisions.
Little more than elaborate, passive aggressive bullying.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

GlyphGryph posted:

It's only fair when THEY do it, after all.

resting bort face
Jun 2, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Man, that No Man's Sky game turned out to be a real bust. Time to rub a little salve on my wounds with the better exploration game, Subnautica. Let's see what the devs are up to.

Shoot me in the face.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

GlyphGryph posted:

Goooooons! :argh:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
They all pull out the "all these new people show up to show their displeasure with this update" and then get all mad when I point out I've been there longer than they have.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

resting bort face posted:

Man, that No Man's Sky game turned out to be a real bust. Time to rub a little salve on my wounds with the better exploration game, Subnautica. Let's see what the devs are up to.

Shoot me in the face.
Stable version is a great experience. Experimental is experimental. Complain, be vocal about it, that's how feedback systems work.

Section Z posted:

It's only fair when THEY do it, after all.

That post (and poster) is so dumb for this stance that this sentence is the only response I deem worthy of commenting about it.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
They already called dibs on the developers listening to their opinions and locksies insies on the feature staying so you aren't allowed to go in now and say it is stupid. The game was wrong before and now it's fixed, so just live with the developers' vision of how the game should play.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Cojawfee posted:

They already called dibs on the developers listening to their opinions and locksies insies on the feature staying so you aren't allowed to go in now and say it is stupid. The game was wrong before and now it's fixed, so just live with the developers' vision of how the game should play.

It tested well internally TM

Shoot me in the face.

Remember when you were hoping for more in depth things like dietary needs? This is what "Hey maybe add more requirements for depth?" actually looks like from the average pubbie.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

I mean the timers don't look that long? The longest tend to be for the high-tech craftables like Seaglide and stasis rifle taking ~4 minutes. The second most complex items are a minute and a half each, and I rarely build more than one scanner/flashlight/welder. Then everything else changed is still under ~8 seconds. Yeah I guess it's pretty inconveniencing for us who have done this before but they probably did it for immersion reasons.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Away all Goats posted:

I mean the timers don't look that long? The longest tend to be for the high-tech craftables like Seaglide and stasis rifle taking ~4 minutes. The second most complex items are a minute and a half each, and I rarely build more than one scanner/flashlight/welder. Then everything else changed is still under ~8 seconds. Yeah I guess it's pretty inconveniencing for us who have done this before but they probably did it for immersion reasons.

Waiting for three minutes and thirty seconds is not fun. it's not fun. there'es no fun there. it is not a fun experience. it is immersion in an experience that is unfun. it is not how I choose to spend my time if I am looking for fun. The fact that I have to do this unfun wait only once per game is immaterial. Hell even the fact that the timers could be longer is immaterial. It's not fun to wait a medium length of time for things! I feel strongly that games should be made more fun rather than less fun, and this change does not do that

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Away all Goats posted:

You only build one constructor, but while it is building you cannot build anything else. You can't cook food, you can't purify water, you can't refine materials, you have to wait for it to build.
And a lot can happen in four minutes.

Everything else is immaterial because you can just build more fabs to deal with the increased time.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Yeah you can just build more constructors, but its still dumb that my Space-Magic replicator 3D printer needs to spend minutes building something because of Realism.

resting bort face
Jun 2, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
There's nothing game-y about this kind of waiting. It's not as though we're playing Hitman or MGS, waiting for a patrol to path through.

If they found a way to tie the gameplay into "waiting for something to craft," then it might be fine. Dumping power from your base's reserves could speed the process? That incentivizes smart base building.

Section Z posted:

Remember when you were hoping for more in depth things like dietary needs? This is what "Hey maybe add more requirements for depth?" actually looks like from the average pubbie.

Pubbies need to stop having dumb bad ideas and start sharing my good smart ideas.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

awesmoe posted:

Waiting for three minutes and thirty seconds is not fun. it's not fun. there'es no fun there. it is not a fun experience. it is immersion in an experience that is unfun. it is not how I choose to spend my time if I am looking for fun. The fact that I have to do this unfun wait only once per game is immaterial. Hell even the fact that the timers could be longer is immaterial. It's not fun to wait a medium length of time for things! I feel strongly that games should be made more fun rather than less fun, and this change does not do that

THANK YOU. I work all loving day and come home to play video games to have fun. Then some 16 year old with no concept of free time or the real world whatsoever whines about how a game isn't immersive or realistic enough, and devs follow suit.

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore
Are these things you could revert to a proper value through notepad editing an .ini file or ...?

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Pubbies need to stop having dumb bad ideas and start sharing my good smart ideas.

No, that would be a disaster, most of my ideas are bad too. The devs just need to not implement pubby ideas unless they are actually good.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Personally I have great ideas, the devs just won't respond to any of my calls or emails

Closes notebook where the header is "All fish have tits?" is circled several times

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Personally I have great ideas, the devs just won't respond to any of my calls or emails

Closes notebook where the header is "All fish have tits?" is circled several times