Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
The Cable Guy was a disappointment at the time due to Jim Carrey being like the highest paid actor everyone having high standards for his next movie.

Carrey has done enough crap since then to lower that bar considerably and now people can enjoy it for what it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

Thompsons posted:

These Matthew Broderick impressions are making me wish they'd do one on The Stepford Wives remake because holy poo poo. The wildly inconsistent tone, gay panic jokes, the obvious and hasty rewrites/reshoot of the ending, the entire thing is just one giant shitheap.

There's a great How Did this Get Made? about the 2006 movie Deck the Halls that posits Broderick has essentially been dead inside since accidentally killing two people in Ireland in the late '80s. At the very least it explains his choice of roles.

The Twinkie Czar
Dec 31, 2004
I went for super stud.
And speaking of How Did this Get Made?, their show spawned an ongoing series of articles on Slash Film looking into the behind the scenes history of the movies HDTGM does. They get some impressive interviews, including a fantastic phone interview with Mel Brooks (executive producer of Solarbabies).

Their live shows still have a lot of annoying crap going on.

ghost emoji
Mar 11, 2016

oooOooOOOooh

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot
THAT DIRTY MOTHER...

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

What if, this whole podcast has been Frank Welker doing 4-9 different voices this entire time?

wait...

....what if everyone on Earth has actually been voiced by Frank Welker this whole time?

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

Hockles posted:

What if, this whole podcast has been Frank Welker doing 4-9 different voices this entire time?

wait...

....what if everyone on Earth has actually been voiced by Frank Welker this whole time?

WHO DARES QUESTION THE KING OF VOICE ACTING ATOP HIS SOLID GOLD TOILET?

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

Dmitri-9 posted:

WHO DARES QUESTION THE KING OF VOICE ACTING ATOP HIS SOLID GOLD TOILET?

read this as the voice of slimer.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Hockles posted:

wait...

This would explain why the WHM cast all sound the same.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Cyron posted:

read this as the voice of slimer.

Poll: what is his greatest voice? I say Fred. Slimer is without doubt the worst.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Jack Gladney posted:

Poll: what is his greatest voice? I say Fred. Slimer is without doubt the worst.

Fred is basically just his normal speaking voice, it's a sort of cruel irony that the man with a million voices is most recognizable when he's not doing a voice at all.

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

Jack Gladney posted:

oh slimer is the worst, he is the king of shity voiced pet sidekicks, snaff from thundercats may be worse, i only watched the reboot a few years back. if it was on late night adult swim on Saturday i watched it.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Come on assholes the answer is clearly Megatron.

Nouvelle Vague
Feb 16, 2011

Endut! Hoch Hech!
The one thing I know about Frank Weller is he got pissed about being kicked off The Simpsons (he was Santa's Little Helper) as if he was hard up for roles or something.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Did they just record one bark and then double it in post or something?

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Nouvelle Vague posted:

The one thing I know about Frank Weller is he got pissed about being kicked off The Simpsons (he was Santa's Little Helper) as if he was hard up for roles or something.

Probably more a matter of residuals. Those solid gold toilets don't clean themselves. You have to buy whole new ones.

The Twinkie Czar
Dec 31, 2004
I went for super stud.
Don't you worry about Frank Welker

Frank's Website posted:

> Secondly, I was interested in knowing whether you are in the upcoming Simpsons Movie?

A few years back Dan "C" did Santa's Little Helper in a rehearsal and unfortunately for me ... did it a little too good. The producers thought ... "Hmmm, Dan barks pretty good, and we are already paying him and he seems to like doing the dog thing ... why do we need to pay Welker who comes in here, spends less than an hour, eats all the doughnuts, refuses to come to rehearsals ... let's just give the drat dog to Dan!" Bingo ... I'm out. I did do lots of shows that needed sound effects and weird sounds, but Santa is without this little helper.

Oh, and no ... nothing in the movie.

> I noticed a Santa's Little Helper themed episode [this season] and you weren't credited at the end.

I wanted a raise ... most of what they asked me to do was wild and wacky, but it also almost always hurt my throat. So, I asked for a raise ... that is why you haven't seen me. They are really great people over there, but they have a rule about "top of the show" for guest performers and I fell under that consideration.

But of course he has a good attitude about it on his own site. I bet that even by 1995 there were some issues with the main cast's salaries and Welker was a problem. If you pay him more for being so accomplished then another cast member wants a pay bump because he's just the dog. Dan's getting paid enough already, he can do some dog sounds.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.
"Actually, the characters in 40 Year Old Virgin work at 'Smart Tech', not Best Buy!!" - Paul W. Reddit

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Personally I think his most recognizable role is as dog barks

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

The Twinkie Czar posted:

And speaking of How Did this Get Made?, their show spawned an ongoing series of articles on Slash Film looking into the behind the scenes history of the movies HDTGM does. They get some impressive interviews, including a fantastic phone interview with Mel Brooks (executive producer of Solarbabies).

Their live shows still have a lot of annoying crap going on.

Man that show got to a point where half of it was ads. One place WHM really shines in comparison to HDTGM is that I can actually follow the plot of the movie, whereas HDTGM often sounds like a rifftrax with no movie audio.

The Twinkie Czar
Dec 31, 2004
I went for super stud.
What I find infuriating about HDTGM is when it's clear they barely watched the movie. Jason has said he just finished watching it on his phone in the cab to the studio, June has claimed the movie made her nauseous so she watched it ten minutes at a time, and a couple guests have admitted to just not watching the whole movie. Then they come to something that's merely poorly explained in the movie and they go off on it likes it's a massive plot hole. God help us if it's a live show, then Paul's going to run into the audience with a microphone so Paul W. Reddit can argue with them about what really happened.

I think HDTGM introduced me to the idea of bad movie podcasts and lead me to WHM. It's hard for me to give up on it. I need to listen to their No Holds Barred show again, with Thomas Lennon going full Hulkster, and remember the good times.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

The Twinkie Czar posted:

What I find infuriating about HDTGM is when it's clear they barely watched the movie. Jason has said he just finished watching it on his phone in the cab to the studio, June has claimed the movie made her nauseous so she watched it ten minutes at a time, and a couple guests have admitted to just not watching the whole movie. Then they come to something that's merely poorly explained in the movie and they go off on it likes it's a massive plot hole. God help us if it's a live show, then Paul's going to run into the audience with a microphone so Paul W. Reddit can argue with them about what really happened.

I think HDTGM introduced me to the idea of bad movie podcasts and lead me to WHM. It's hard for me to give up on it. I need to listen to their No Holds Barred show again, with Thomas Lennon going full Hulkster, and remember the good times.

I've noticed that as a general trend podcasts made by "professionals" tend to be way sloppier and less, well, professional than ones by amateurs because since they're already established they don't really feel like they have to prove anything and are just there to goof around so they can use the podcast to plug their next show or their twitter or whatever it is that they actually care about and focus on.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Yeah, I gave up on HDTGM a while ago because I got sick of the stream-of-consciousness style and the constant need to spend ten minutes on examining some weird-rear end interpretation of June's, or them arguing about some minor scene that's completely obvious if you barely paid attention to the movie.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

June's being-an-idiot gimmick is exactly why I bailed too.

Thompsons
Aug 28, 2008

Ask me about onklunk extraction.
Yeah her entire bit in most episodes is to just fixate on the dumbest poo poo and it drove me mental.

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

Does anyone remember which episode is it that has George Lucas reminding Spielberg that Sebulba is available and that there's always Sebulba?

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Kingdom of the Crystal Skull?

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Brocktoon posted:

"Actually, the characters in 40 Year Old Virgin work at 'Smart Tech', not Best Buy!!" - Paul W. Ruddit

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012
my favorite HDTGM is when they had one of the directors for Crank on and they still couldn't be bothered to watch the movie before doing the show.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I used to like HDTGM, but the hosts really don't give a poo poo and it turned me off. How many episodes have they lost, or released with iPhone quality recordings? They have 0 tech knowhow. Paul Scheer & co are pretty successful, I don't know how their podcast routinely sounds worse than what people record over skype sessions. I get that they're comedians, not AV nerds, but there's really no excuses for a popular, respected (?), sponsored show on EARWOLF to sound so lovely.

Also Scheer can be creepy as gently caress and it upsets me.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

well why not posted:

How many episodes have they lost, or released with iPhone quality recordings? They have 0 tech knowhow. Paul Scheer & co are pretty successful, I don't know how their podcast routinely sounds worse than what people record over skype sessions. I get that they're comedians, not AV nerds, but there's really no excuses for a popular, respected (?), sponsored show on EARWOLF to sound so lovely.

I don't know what's worse, when new and up-and-coming shows are trying to convince you to give them a chance while their ads sound like garbage or when popular and successful shows don't even give a poo poo. One of MaxFun's new shows ran an ad that was literally just one side of a Skype call with the co-hose sounding like poppy, hissy, compressed garbage while Chapo Trap House is one of the most successful groups on Patreon and despite them bringing in almost $12,000 a month it still sounds like a couple of guys talking into $20 computer mics in their apartment.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Meanwhile, Uhh Yeah Dude has never had anything less than stellar audio quality for a single episode, despite running since the dark ages (2006).

It's really obvious who cares.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Guy Mann posted:

Chapo Trap House is one of the most successful groups on Patreon and despite them bringing in almost $12,000 a month it still sounds like a couple of guys talking into $20 computer mics in their apartment.

Well, two guys on poo poo mics and one guy in the Marianas Trench.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

well why not posted:

Meanwhile, Uhh Yeah Dude has never had anything less than stellar audio quality for a single episode, despite running since the dark ages (2006).

It's really obvious who cares.

Been running since 2006 and it's still completely underrated.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Yeah UYD is probably the podcast id take to a deserted island. You wouldn't stay sane but at least you'd be crazy interesting
And I couldn't really stand HDTGM or The Flophouse. You guys are right about the amateurishness that comes with already established names, also for the most part stand ups and established comedy writers are cornball and make cornball poo poo. It's often just like "pod casts eh? I could make me one of those"

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Wait, Paul Scheer's a comedian?

Crocobile
Dec 2, 2006

well why not posted:

Also Scheer can be creepy as gently caress and it upsets me.

Do you mean Mantzoukas? TBH I felt like a lot of the "dumb June" bits were Mantzoukas making a huge deal out of every admittedly ineloquent (though not that crazy once I got what she was saying) or benign/inane observation June made.

Once June disappeared from the show (her and Scheer had a baby so she was busy) there were a BUNCH of multiple big-name guests for live shows and they were just too unorganized and obnoxious. I listened to "Can't Stop The Music" and the guests + hosts just shouted/bickered over eachother for some unfunny bit for like 45 minutes before talking about the movie. That was when I unsubscribed.

A bit more on-topic; I wonder if the Patreon for WHM will do away with the ads (which haven't really bothered me personally, but ymmv) or if listener request will turn into a Patreon/donation thing?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
If that happens, we need a Goon Drive to raise money so we can get an absolutely ridiculously terrible movie picked.

ghost emoji
Mar 11, 2016

oooOooOOOooh
How Did This Get Made is way too yell-y for me. why are they always screaming over each other

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
I can deal with HDTGM when it's a studio episode, but the live shows are almost un-listenable due to everyone talking over each other trying to get their poo poo in. Seriously, take a shot every time Jason cuts someone off to make a joke that totally derails the show, you'll be dead in minutes. I love how the WHM guys let each other riff and back off a joke if someone else starts talking.