Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.
Yeah the FBI agent is easily my favorite new character of this season. She is super rad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Ray is also all kinds of cool and Leon is hilarious. This season introduced a lot of awesome new characters

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Mr. Powers posted:

E: the server's in Iceland, leads to some dweeb, and it turns out Ross Ulbricht wasn't the Dread Pirate Roberts after all.

The DPR reference is really good, because it's not doing a 'hey this is a pop culture thing we both know and can laugh about', but has become the defacto admin account for dark markets. That's why there have been multiple DPRs arrested, it's become a title rather than a username.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

EL BROMANCE posted:

The DPR reference is really good, because it's not doing a 'hey this is a pop culture thing we both know and can laugh about', but has become the defacto admin account for dark markets. That's why there have been multiple DPRs arrested, it's become a title rather than a username.

I would just pick "admin"

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Sure, but that's not the mindset people who run dark markets have. The only bit of non realism is that Ray seems to be competent when it comes down to dealing with people in a violent way, where the real DPRs are scrawny libertarian nerds masturbating while fantasizing about being a gangster on a computer.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

EL BROMANCE posted:

Sure, but that's not the mindset people who run dark markets have. The only bit of non realism is that Ray seems to be competent when it comes down to dealing with people in a violent way, where the real DPRs are scrawny libertarian nerds masturbating while fantasizing about being a gangster on a computer.

He seems more like a real gangster that decided to try an e-commerce. He is not a tech guy himself, he hires nerds to run the thing for him

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Elias_Maluco posted:

He seems more like a real gangster that decided to try an e-commerce. He is not a tech guy himself, he hires nerds to run the thing for him

'Hires' might not exactly be the right term for how he gets tech guys.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
It definitely seems like he muscled his way into the online side of his business.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Yeah. The people kidnapping teenage girls and locking them up for sale on the dark web are probably a from a different cut than the IRC AnCap crowd.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Mr. Powers posted:

Maybe he will trade info to the FBI agent. Tip them off.

I could see this. Elliot schemes and gets the FBI lady to nail Ray's dark web endeavor while maintaining the hack against the FBI to clear up his own stuff.

Speculation: I think Elliot definitely killed Wellick, but I think Romero was a Dark Army response. Gideon's death, in my opinion, was the result of All Safe taking the fall for the ECorp hack. So, yeah Elliot got Gideon killed but he didn't order it or anything.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

TrixRabbi posted:

Yeah. The people kidnapping teenage girls and locking them up for sale on the dark web are probably a from a different cut than the IRC AnCap crowd.

Like I feel like he was probably in the irl black market and human trafficking business and ran into someone doing the darknet thing, killed them, and took over their business.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I'm still baffled that USA will bleep every "gently caress" but words like "cocksucker" and "cunty" are just fine. TV Standards & Practices are weird as poo poo.

Atomic Robo-Kid posted:

The cart looked like Double Dragon.
Yep, it was definitely Double Dragon. That was the mission start music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZeSESfSQ0WY

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Tyrell isn't dead. I'm also sincerely glad that Gideon got a better sendoff than being shot in the throat. Getting run over by Alf in a BMW is the most rad way to die.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I feel like the show is totally uncensored on Amazon. But I could be wrong.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.

Snak posted:

I think it's bonus censored if you watch on USA online.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

GobiasIndustries posted:

Tyrell isn't dead. I'm also sincerely glad that Gideon got a better sendoff than being shot in the throat. Getting run over by Alf in a BMW is the most rad way to die.

I wonder what that actor's reaction was to, after playing this character in such a fashion for a entire season, and to have his death initially portrayed in such a fashion, reading that he would be back in scene where he's in a 80s sitcom and was run over by Alf.

tirion
Sep 25, 2004
Does anyone have a clear grab of the Tank Top Henchman and the Tank Top Dark Army Henchman? I can't seem to grab a clear picture but I think their tattoos are the same. Can anyone get a better picture? Which then raises the question why the Dark Army is working with Ray, or if Ray is in the Dark Army.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

I wonder what that actor's reaction was to, after playing this character in such a fashion for a entire season, and to have his death initially portrayed in such a fashion, reading that he would be back in scene where he's in a 80s sitcom and was run over by Alf.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIcExu5EL4I

Wake_N_Bake
Dec 5, 2003

I love to argue by using all caps. I feel it helps keep people from noticing that I have little or nothing to add to any given conversation. I also

sticklefifer posted:

I'm still baffled that USA will bleep every "gently caress" but words like "cocksucker" and "cunty" are just fine. TV Standards & Practices are weird as poo poo.

If Breaking Bad was any indication, it seems they get a limited number of un-bleeped "gently caress"s per season. Mr. Robot burned through them in the first episode on my cable USA. And the thing is, it's really distracting as it flows so naturally in the dialogue, the sudden drop outs in speech are very jarring.

I may be wrong, but it's a producers-network-advertiser thing. Which is weird, because in podcast advertising, they try to adopt the culture of the podcast, and embrace that listeners are going to hear "gently caress", yet broadcast is still going the other way around. Are they really afraid of losing the reverse mortgage crowd? Cause they ain't watching this poo poo...

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Wake_N_Bake posted:

If Breaking Bad was any indication, it seems they get a limited number of un-bleeped "gently caress"s per season. Mr. Robot burned through them in the first episode on my cable USA. And the thing is, it's really distracting as it flows so naturally in the dialogue, the sudden drop outs in speech are very jarring.

I may be wrong, but it's a producers-network-advertiser thing. Which is weird, because in podcast advertising, they try to adopt the culture of the podcast, and embrace that listeners are going to hear "gently caress", yet broadcast is still going the other way around. Are they really afraid of losing the reverse mortgage crowd? Cause they ain't watching this poo poo...

I can't possibly imagine why negotiating advertising with a podcast made and run by like two people would be different than negotiating advertising with a massive entertainment corporation watched by tens of millions of people who are juggling hundreds of contracts worth millions of dollars at once.

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

Wake_N_Bake posted:

If Breaking Bad was any indication, it seems they get a limited number of un-bleeped "gently caress"s per season.

You're half right. They were allowed so many fucks per season apparently, however it was always bleeped when broadcast on AMC. Only the VOD and Blu-ray/dvd are uncensored.

I think the unbleeped fucks were a special event thing for the first episode of the season. Still it is pretty weird that they can say cunty and cocksucker unbleeped.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

Snak posted:

I just binged season one on Amazon and can confirm no censorship. Quite fun to watch that way.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
The beep in the sitcom part of the last episode is the only censorship I've seen, which made it really funny. I feel like the impact must have been less for people watching it on broadcast.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Snak posted:

The beep in the sitcom part of the last episode is the only censorship I've seen, which made it really funny. I feel like the impact must have been less for people watching it on broadcast.

Nah because the censorship usually occurs as the dialogue being silenced rather than the usual high pitched tone, so it was still jarring and different.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Even though it seemed like they injected the guy with *substance* it looked like they just broke the needle off under his fingernail, which would be backed up by the sound department.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Even if the entire season had uncensored dialogue the sitcom part still would have the *beep* because it's perfect.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

The funeral scene in the credits was great, but the scene in the gas station where Angela happily proclaims,"They made me assistant manager.... it almost makes up for them killing my mom!" was just goddamn perfect.

GobiasIndustries posted:

I'm also sincerely glad that Gideon got a better sendoff than being shot in the throat. Getting run over by Alf in a BMW is the most rad way to die.

That's how his Presidency on House of Cards should have ended.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
The last time we saw Leon he was talking about the series finale of Seinfeld. Did he fulfill his purpose? Does he no longer exist because he finished the show? :ohdear:

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
"the ratings suck. this season is mostly garbage. and the show may not recover.
sorry."

if you think this forum is full of moaners. it's not.

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
The story's advancing more slowly than it did in How I Met Your Mother.

It's fantastic that the people making the show are having lots of fun but this is why most TV is so unwatchable. At the rate we're going, the complete season could be compressed into 3-4 episodes and nothing would be lost.

I feel like they know it, too, with that double cliffhanger an episode or two back. If you need gimmicks like that in a regular episode just to keep the audience from quitting on the show...

(For clarity, that's me, not a copy and paste, and I've been making a guilty pleasure exception to my general 'no TV' policy.)

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

*Me, just starting on watching this show*

"Ooh okay, Mr. Robot is that old hacker dude that is taking a creepy interest in Elliot, that explains..."

*cut to episode 8*

..... :stonklol:

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

I'm watching the series on South East Asian Netflix equivalent iflix and all the cusses got through so I guess it's a network thing for you guys. :(

Really made the censored swearing in the latest episode funny though.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

James Baud posted:

It's fantastic that the people making the show are having lots of fun but this is why most TV is so unwatchable. At the rate we're going, the complete season could be compressed into 3-4 episodes and nothing would be lost.

I feel like they know it, too, with that double cliffhanger an episode or two back. If you need gimmicks like that in a regular episode just to keep the audience from quitting on the show...

(For clarity, that's me, not a copy and paste, and I've been making a guilty pleasure exception to my general 'no TV' policy.)
Agreed. This season is very well directed, but the plot is horrible.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
I disagree. Its well directed and Im interested in all plots going on. Its slow, but slow can be good. Im watching it because its enjoyable to watch and intriguing, not just because I want to know how it ends.

Compare it to GoT last season, for example, which is the exact opposite: just plot points being hit one after the other, like checking off items from a list, all character motivations are artificial and forced just to arrive at the next plot point. Its loving awful

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

James Baud posted:

I mean...

Season 2 is much more about the characters than the plot. Season one was very plot-driven and each episode had both it's own plot and contributed to an overarching plot. In season 2, episodes basically don't have their own plots and are composed of character exploration and breadcrumbs towards a season plot.

So on the one hand it's a little sloppier, but I feel like Angela, Darlene, Elliot, and even the new character Dom are far more developed and interesting than any of the characters were in season 1. When you say stuff like "the entire season could be compressed into 3-4 episodes", I feel you must be talking only about "the plot".

Normally, I abhor this kind of focus on plot at the cost of the rest of the content, but given the massive shift from season 1, it's pretty understandable.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

What's the Venn diagram for people who watch Mr. Roboto and are also triggered by the word "gently caress"? Two circles on opposing sides of the universe?

Why do advertisers even care about this bullshit? Don't they have detailed numbers on what target groups are watching this show?

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
And why don't they just make the entire airplane out of the stuff they make the black box out of, huh? What's the deal with that?

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Snak posted:

When you say stuff like "the entire season could be compressed into 3-4 episodes", I feel you must be talking only about "the plot".

Pretty sure that in terms of the plot we could've come this far in the first 15 minutes of episode one.

Season one seemed relatively well done by the end, where many of the things that looked like sloppy writing early on were actually deliberate. But in S2, we have Tyrrell's wife, everything Angela & E-Corp CEO, plus most Dark Army stuff being total write-offs. You can't save them with "unreliable narrator". DPR thing is probably a pointless sideshow - they're even painfully dragging out a villain of the week.

Are you honestly not offended that "where's Tyrrell" is the entire season? It's all filler! I do believe I've run out of patience, and the ratings (wow) indicate that's a very common reaction.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I honestly don't feel like "Where's Tyrell" is a very important part of the plot? Like yeah it's an enduring mystery, but it's more of a loose end than being "the plot".

The story of this season is about identity and self-image. Angela, Elliot, and Dom's stories are all about this, as well as Whiterose, and to a lesser degree, Darlene.

To describe the whole season as "where's Tyrell" is horribly reductive.

Season 1 was about class struggle, the status of human beings within the socioeconomic structure of society. Season 2 is about ethical struggle, the status of human beings within their own ethical frameworks. How their emotions act as lenses influencing both how their actions are perceived and how they percieve others.

Multiple characters are struggling with how their self-image, their perception of their identity, can be reconciled with their action, their place in the world, and their perception of the ethical quandaries that they face.

So the stringing along about Tyrell is annoying in the sense that it feels like it should be over and done with because we're on this new thing now. But it's not really a big deal. I'm sure it's going to tie in thematically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

The big question or plot-driver in S1 was "Will f-society hack Evil Corp and put the financial system in meltdown?"

They answered it within S1, which itself came as a surprise to me because I was worried they'd try to drag that plot on to the second season.

Second season is about the fallout and the repercussions of the culmination of S1, which again is something I haven't seen done like this before - a world-changing event happened in the end of season 1 and they are picking up exactly where that left off. E.g. that guy running the convenience store is going out of business because there's only cash and the government is rationing cash.

I'm just trying to explain why I'm not frustrated at all by the pacing of season 2, because to me pacing is not just about things happening to the world of the show.

This is also why the comparisons to Lost fall apart to me in every way: there's clearly more thought put behind the story here, the characters are a mile deep and an inch wide instead of the other way around, and the show isn't crapping out new mysteries to solve without dealing with earlier plot threads. The equivalent of Mr. Robot would've been for everyone to get off the drat island at the end of the first season.

• Locked thread