Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wayne
Oct 18, 2014

He who fights too long against dragons becomes a dragon himself
T-t-triple combo! Probably the only time I'll be doing this since the DS3/DDDA videos are going to take longer to make (what with actual editing and all :sweatdrop: ), but we were due for more Alan Wake, so they're all together this time. First up:

Alan Wake - Episode 3: Ransom Part 2/4
On the way to the radio tower (you'd think a writer would be genre-aware enough that it's always the well-informed nice people you need to be wary of...), Alan gets ambushed by... the Killdozer! Gotta love surprise boss fights against heavy machinery in a "horror" story, eh? But things get back on track ( :razz: ) after that and we have some rare daylight gameplay as Alan makes his way to the meeting point.
...wait, it's actually a front-end loader and those things have wheels, not tracks! :doh:

---

And now for the Dark Double Feature! I'll probably do a banner for these two games later (unless CJ wants to make one?). They'll be uploaded in pairs, and both have some edit work and annotations to skip around where appropriate and whatnot. Dragon's Dogma is more serious and most of the edits are fast-forwarding or skipping backtracking and deaths to enemies (since I'm on Hard, you can be one-shotted quite abruptly), whereas Dark Souls 3 is more me messing around and practicing techniques to get better at Sony Vegas. My plan is to do one new "thing" each video, like in the first one using text animation.

Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen Part 01 - The Eternal Ring
Part 1 of Dragon's Dogma! This one has the playable open and character creation (both of which you can skip with annotations at the start), plus the first bit of sidequests in town. I skip the cutscenes during the open because the chat had seen them before, and they're easy enough to find on YouTube. I'd also had a vote going on in chat about who our Arisen and Pawn should be, so we ended up with the Resident Evil 4 reference team of Ashley and Leon.

Dark Souls 3: Lucky in Lothric 01 - Iudex Dredd
And part 1 of Dark Souls 3! It's both my first time playing it and a Luck run, which I figured would make for some interesting variety from when my brother streamed the game (he did some kind of physical + Faith build). So far it's my least favorite of the 4 Souls games (well, about tied with Demon's and I haven't played Bloodborne), but then again at this point in DS2 I absolutely hated it, so... we'll see! This one covers the intro, Gundyr, an explanation of the build and my "rules" and meeting Level-Up Waifu (as Mog would put it).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

bubsy 2 when

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer

Lizard Wizard posted:

bubsy 2 when

Now and always!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Never. Never ever ever. Bubsy died on the way back to his home planet

Wayne posted:

T-t-triple combo!

A man after my own heart

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

CJacobs posted:

A man after my own heart
With a fork and a knife.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Let's Play Legendary 01: Everybody Jump!
Let's Play Legendary 02: The World's Flattest Werewolf
Let's Play Legendary 03: Strategic Invinciblity
Let's Play Legendary 04: Hedgehog Generator
Let's Play Legendary 05: Miniwhales And Rainbow Wolves
Let's Play Legendary 06: Ye Olde Englyshe Sewage

And newly, Let's Play Legendary 07: Machinegun Guano
This and/or the next video might contain some shouting, the recording session wasn't kind on my patience.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer

This game's quality is not up to par.

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

Wrecking hell's shit since 1993

Alexeythegreat posted:

This game's quality is not up to par.
New catchphrase, eh?

My new microphone arrived today, so to celebrate I got off my lazy rear end and put together another Frogger episode! I was a bit congested during recording, and I was sort of pissed off on account of the several attempts I had to scrap, but hopefully that didn't affect things too much.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFhHRjIXIcU

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Oh, whoa! Check out the Viewing Globe, shorty!

LogicalFallacy posted:

New catchphrase, eh?

My new microphone arrived today, so to celebrate I got off my lazy rear end and put together another Frogger episode! I was a bit congested during recording, and I was sort of pissed off on account of the several attempts I had to scrap, but hopefully that didn't affect things too much.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFhHRjIXIcU

Cool, I was wondering if you were doing more.

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

GamesAreSupernice posted:

Cool, I was wondering if you were doing more.
Yeah. My first scrapped attempt at part 2 was actually done a while ago. I just got extremely pissed off at it and left it be for a while when I went to merge my audio tracks and realized that my mic had been muted the entire time. I haven't been completely ignoring LP stuff though. I've been working at figuring out how to do a subtitled LP, so I can have something nice for my first non-casual thread LP.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

LogicalFallacy posted:

Yeah. My first scrapped attempt at part 2 was actually done a while ago. I just got extremely pissed off at it and left it be for a while when I went to merge my audio tracks and realized that my mic had been muted the entire time. I haven't been completely ignoring LP stuff though. I've been working at figuring out how to do a subtitled LP, so I can have something nice for my first non-casual thread LP.

What are you going to play? Or is that a secret?

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

Amanita designs' games. So the Samorost series, Machinarium, and Botanicula. I figure subtitles would be much better for those games than voiceover.

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider

Wayne posted:

Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen Part 01 - The Eternal Ring
Part 1 of Dragon's Dogma! This one has the playable open and character creation (both of which you can skip with annotations at the start), plus the first bit of sidequests in town. I skip the cutscenes during the open because the chat had seen them before, and they're easy enough to find on YouTube. I'd also had a vote going on in chat about who our Arisen and Pawn should be, so we ended up with the Resident Evil 4 reference team of Ashley and Leon.
I pity the fool that doesn't immediately patch back in the "Into Free" song for the title screen. :colbert:
And while you're at it, it isn't a bad idea to replace the standard "boss fight tilting in your favor" song with the unused guitar rearrangement:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EioUJCiy7_Q
(It's on the disc, just never gets used for some reason)

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

Hi. I forgot your name. Whatever.
My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Legally enforced child neglect, zombie bug carcasses, and lethal beauty pageants. It was a weird week.

Wayne
Oct 18, 2014

SelenicMartian posted:

With a fork and a knife.

They always say to put your heart into what you cook. Why not somebody else's? :chef:

Gimbal lock posted:

I pity the fool that doesn't immediately patch back in the "Into Free" song for the title screen. :colbert:
And while you're at it, it isn't a bad idea to replace the standard "boss fight tilting in your favor" song with the unused guitar rearrangement:

Ooh, thanks for the tips! Yeah, I miss Flying Into Free too, I'll have to do that next time I stream. :allears: I've heard that due to really weird level gating there are a lot of tracks you typically won't hear (I think I heard the "high risk" theme for the first time this stream when I made an early run to Hillfigure Knoll to grab the portcrystal), even in BBI. Wouldn't hurt to throw in some mods like that while I'm also looking for things like the fix to Inflection and backup save files.

For now, though, the next Alan Wake:

Alan Wake - Episode 3: Ransom Part 3/4
This one is pretty gameplay-heavy, but the manuscript pages and Night Springs scenes are quite interesting. The pages are starting to explicitly predict future scenes, so now the question is how much Alan's script is influencing things and what its limitations are and so on. Ben and I will come back to this a lot in episode 4, but these next couple videos are definitely the high point for "thinking through" the story (like the midgame of Persona 4).

Tindalos
May 1, 2008
I've been absolutely loving your Alan Wake videos. Seeing you exploring the plot without any knowledge has been great.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Alan Wake is fun to watch people play blind because the game gives you ample time to speculate on what the hell is going on while you're walking through the woods.

Wayne
Oct 18, 2014

Tindalos posted:

I've been absolutely loving your Alan Wake videos. Seeing you exploring the plot without any knowledge has been great.

Aw, thanks! :hfive: It's been a lot of fun. It's a lot more serious than the games we usually play, so it's a cool change of pace to talk about the game and what it's trying to do/say (and like CJ said, you get plenty of time to do so, heh).

Time for the Dark Double Feature once again! Man, has it been a week already? Definitely need to work on my workflow and editing speed, heh.

Dark Souls 3: Lucky in Lothric 02 - Instant Replay
As the name says, the technique I tried this time is an instant replay (using both the velocity envelope and CTRL-dragging to manually change speed). There were two moments in pretty short succession that I was way off on hitboxes, so it worked out pretty well (well, now, anyway, I was kinda miffed at the time :sweatdrop: ). Kind of a hassle to do, definitely something I need more practice on. Also includes getting out-:japan: by Sword Master (I think that's actually his name and some people summoned him off-stream).

Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen Part 02 - Of the Pawn Legion
And in Dark Arisen, we knock out all the missable Cassardis sidequests (well, the ones that expire before you get your main pawn, anyway), rescue Reynard, and talk about combat and skill points at the end and stay out past our bedtime to show off some of the things that change.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Let's Play Legendary 07: Machinegun Guano

Let's Play Legendary 08: Our Lady Of Dorkness
I think this is the first time I become genuinely angry at the game. Probably not the last.

Wayne
Oct 18, 2014

I bounced around in the video since I've seen most of Legendary (my brother got it on Gamefly), but your rant on the "flamethrower" was great and pretty much exactly what I remembered. :allears:

I didn't see your Sandcastle post asking about commentary until a few days afterward, but for what it's worth your voice and setup sound solid, you just have some issues with enunciation that your accent amplifies a bit. Given that you sound fine when you have a joke in mind or pointing something out (I only have trouble understanding you when you're musing about something or doing "verbal filler") I'd guess it's more nerves than anything else. I started doing a 5-10 minute meditation routine before streaming when I can, and it helps a lot: being relaxed and not as stressed about the day helps with nerves, and breathing exercises makes your voice sound better too.

---

And here's the end of our third Alan Wake stream!

Alan Wake - Episode 3: Ransom Part 4/4
It turns out that the "kidnapper" was only a pawn for someone else, and they never had Alice at all. We as the audience can be pretty sure she didn't die in episode 1, but the game is still holding its cards close to its metaphorical vest and there's always a chance this is a darker game than it first appears. That uncertainty is really hard to maintain, kind of like how most stories end up as "don't get attached to any characters" or "it's OK, nobody dies in X book." In the end the Dark Presence does its job as the villain and disposes of Mott now that he's outlived his usefulness, and we head into "The Truth," which was easily my favorite episode of the six eight.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Wayne posted:

I bounced around in the video since I've seen most of Legendary (my brother got it on Gamefly), but your rant on the "flamethrower" was great and pretty much exactly what I remembered. :allears:

I didn't see your Sandcastle post asking about commentary until a few days afterward, but for what it's worth your voice and setup sound solid, you just have some issues with enunciation that your accent amplifies a bit. Given that you sound fine when you have a joke in mind or pointing something out (I only have trouble understanding you when you're musing about something or doing "verbal filler") I'd guess it's more nerves than anything else. I started doing a 5-10 minute meditation routine before streaming when I can, and it helps a lot: being relaxed and not as stressed about the day helps with nerves, and breathing exercises makes your voice sound better too.
Thanks. Recording this pair of videos is actually what prompted me to ask in the Sandcastle and I've been digging around the Internet for some face-stretching and breathing exercises, hopefully we'll hear some improvement.

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

anilEhilated posted:

Thanks. Recording this pair of videos is actually what prompted me to ask in the Sandcastle and I've been digging around the Internet for some face-stretching and breathing exercises, hopefully we'll hear some improvement.
Something I noticed for myself is that I tend to stumble and be unsure of what I'm saying when I record solo, but I did a lot better for the one video I've guested in. So you can try and find a co-commentator or just try treating your commentary as a conversation, with the audience being the silent other half of said conversation. Just some ideas to try.
Also, I need to catch up on your LP. I've shamefully only watched the first few videos.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Wayne
Oct 18, 2014

anilEhilated posted:

Yeah, good luck! :D Practice makes perfect, too. Video commentary is a performance art, same as singing or narrating and whatnot, and eventually you'll find a style that works for you, and at that point it's just honing it. The trick is that bad habits become part of that style too, and that can take some work to fix, heh.

---

Part 1 of what ended up being Ben's and my favorite Alan Wake episode: The Truth.

Alan Wake - Episode 4: The Truth Part 1/3
It's a pretty classic move to start the chapter called "The Truth" in a psych hospital, making you wonder what's true and what isn't, if they're going to retcon part of or the entire story heretofore, etc. I don't know how common it is in other shows, but Star Trek did it multiple times (including layers of deception in that one Riker episode), so.... :v: Anyway, the game starts laying out what the Dark Presence is and what its goals are, and that this isn't the first time it's done what it's doing. This kind of reveal in these kinds of stories is always risky, and I think Alan Wake handled it pretty well.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Let's Play Legendary 07: Machinegun Guano
Let's Play Legendary 08: Our Lady Of Dorkness

Let's Play Legendary 09: Radio Free Animus
In which I pretty much lose what little ability of talking in a comprehensive fashion I had in the first place. Anyhow, I won't be able to record for at least a week so it's a bit longer.
...Enjoy?

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Even when I trample over everything in my path, playing and streaming this game is a blast.
Part 24 starts perhaps my favorite session thus far, and next week has my new favorite gym leader.
Also got some great pieces of fanart from ChibiWisdom:

ThornBrain fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Aug 1, 2016

Wayne
Oct 18, 2014

Aww, that's amazing. :3:

Glad to see the thread moving again, so here's a 2-parter! I would've uploaded more Dark/Dogma, but been stymied a bit editing the DS3 episode because I played so badly so little happened. :sweatdrop: Probably going to do something creative with a death montage, only thing I can think of, heh. Anyway, Alan Wake!

Alan Wake - Episode 4: The Truth Part 2/3
Alan Wake - Episode 4: The Truth Part 3/3
These 2 episodes cover a lot of ground literally as well as metaphorically, with Alan eventually escaping through a hedge maze, driving a ways with Barry before crashing into the woods (... :sigh: ) and having a huge setpiece gunfight to wrap up the action for the episode. Alan then understandably settles down for a drink, and while passed out relives his memories in a sort of astral projection/lucid dream. In a TV show they probably would've hit the reset button and had Alan forget while the audience knows, but since the game is now over half-over it's time to take what we know and go take on the Dark Presence mano-a... shadow? next time!

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

26-28 is my favorite session thus far. Flannery's my new favorite gym leader.
Also got some more great pieces of fanart:

(By ChibiWisdom)

(By Rakumel)

Iron Chitlin
Sep 3, 2011

I need to use the bathroom!

Full Spectrum Warrior started life as a simulator developed for the U.S. Army, before it was reworked into a commercial product. The result is an interesting game that plays like little else out there. Also my co-commentators could not care any less about the game so enjoy the video LP version of a shitpost!

VIDEOS

I Wish My Hot Cakes Spoke Spanish (Part 1)

"what ius thje name of the hat with the featehe it" (Part 2)

It's Awful, It's Stupid, And I Hate It (Part 3)

I Refuse To Re-record This Garbage (Part 4)

Boring Brown Khaki-Wearing Soldiers (Part 5)

Season 12 of Seinfeld (Part 6)

(cough in sandstorm) (Part 7)

#Sponsored #TacoBell (Part 8)

I'm a Terrible Mexican (Part 9)

Inky, Pinky, Blinky, and Slowmo (Part 10)

UZflipsoffLoco.png (Part 11)

THUMBNAILS

Iron Chitlin fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Dec 4, 2016

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Hey so I was busy moving, and then totally lost motivating to continue with my LPs. But I'm still doing them. So here is an update.

Part 9: Some Weird Crazy Occult poo poo

Previous parts (playlist):
Part 1: The Boat to El Dorado
Part 2: Elena Punches Me in the Face
Part 3: Two Trees, One Plane
Part 4: Explosive Barrels Respawn
Part 5: Not in Spanish, in English
Part 6: Adventures in Driving
Part 7: My Blindspot is Behind Me
Part 8: Architectural Anachronism

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Glad you're still at it

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Glad you're still at it
Thanks. It's my most constructive hobby.
Yeah, I haven't recorded any new footage at the new place yet. I'm dreading it. It seems much more echo-y and stuff I feel. But I will manage.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Snak posted:

Thanks. It's my most constructive hobby.
Yeah, I haven't recorded any new footage at the new place yet. I'm dreading it. It seems much more echo-y and stuff I feel. But I will manage.

Sitting closer to the mic might help in that case

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Sitting closer to the mic might help in that case

Oh I use a mic stand and try to keep the mic <12 inches from my face. I'm honestly not that worried about it, I'm just worried I'll have to make new presets for my audio processing. Which is like, a 1-time annoyance. I'm just a very lazy person.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Iron Chitlin posted:

Full Spectrum Warrior started life as a simulator developed for the U.S. Army, before it was reworked into a commercial product. The result is an interesting game that plays like little else out there. Also my co-commentators could not care any less about the game so enjoy the video LP version of a shitpost!

I Wish My Hot Cakes Spoke Spanish (Part 1)

I really wish there were more games like this. Even its own sequel isn't all that like it (unless the first 15 minutes were drastically different from the rest, since I gave up at that point).

Something like the Graviteam games would be pretty neat with some of these mechanics, too.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Kangra posted:

Something like the Graviteam games would be pretty neat with some of these mechanics, too.

Graviteam?

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Groggy games where you direct squads and vehicles around on a WWII battlefield. The latest is Mius Front. Graviteam is the studio, but AFAIK they just keep refining the same game over and over.

I'm envisioning an urban combat sim using their strategic map, but with finer control over the action in a similar fashion to FSW. Maybe instead of giving orders to all the units in a sector, you'd get to pick one squad at a time and the rest would be AI control.

Iron Chitlin
Sep 3, 2011

I need to use the bathroom!

"what ius thje name of the hat with the featehe it" (Part 2)

Kangra posted:

I really wish there were more games like this. Even its own sequel isn't all that like it (unless the first 15 minutes were drastically different from the rest, since I gave up at that point).

I have owned the sequel for many years and have never gotten farther than the tutorial before getting bored.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I don't remember anything in the sequel being substantially different from the first game outside of giving special abilities to the TL and Rifleman, a couple movement options, and trying to be a better story (it wasn't). But maybe that was your point :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I just started watching Full Spectrum Warrior and those character descriptions are surreal as gently caress. And here I thought I knew about all the lovely shooters worth knowing about.

e: HUA?! Are we playing Blue Estate again?

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Aug 15, 2016