Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Is this show
Gay?
Sad?
Sad and Gay?
What the hell is wrong with you people?
View Results

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Chibs posted:

Lauren Zuke is one of the best writers/boarders on the show and I'm pissed off beyond belief because literal children accused her of queerbaiting and bullied her off Twitter, loving hell

The stupid Internet fandom culture war has become a ridiculously terrible self-propagating machine by this point. You're going to get the same level of vitriol whether you do something terrible or just 'don't do it well enough'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Chibs posted:

Lauren Zuke is one of the best writers/boarders on the show and I'm pissed off beyond belief because literal children accused her of queerbaiting and bullied her off Twitter, loving hell

Wait what? Was Garnet not on screen enough as a LITERAL QUEER RELATIONSHIP for these reactionary assholes? It's poo poo like this that makes me worry about all the tumblr oppression-fetish kids. :freep:

It's worse than that 'SU is racist because words' person.

Was not expecting a deep voice for Pearl, but I must admit it's a perfect fit.

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?
it's straight up ship wars and that has never not been dumb as hell. queerbaiting is an excuse to make it not seem as petty but that's what it is. fandom dumb.

same as it ever was.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

T-man posted:

Was not expecting a deep voice for Pearl, but I must admit it's a perfect fit.

it's writer/director/former boarder Joe Johnston doing the voice (story editor (same job as Matt Burnett, in fact they've worked on all the same projects)/3rd most frequent songwriter Ben Levin is doing Greg and the hotel staff, writer/boarder/2nd most frequent songwriter Jeff Liu did steven and the staff at the end)

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Getting mad over that poo poo is so bizarre to me. Like I've stated in this thread that I'd prefer it if Jasper remained a villain but it would be the lamest thing if I threw a poo poo fit whenever anyone stated differently or the show started hinting otherwise.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
To everyone complaining that Sardonyx kinda hijacked the episode - that was kinda the point of the episode. Garnet and Pearl and still making the old mistakes - Their projecting (My fusion can do this, yours must be able to as well. Oh I can't wait until Steven figures out how to use this old power of Rose Quartz). It's like they haven't quite had it beaten into them yet the lessons that Steven and Amethyst are comfortable with - Steven is not and will never be Rose, he just shares some of her powers, and Amethyst is a poorly made quartz, but she has her own thing going on.

Chibs
Jun 28, 2004

bring it back :guillotine:

Troposphere posted:

it's straight up ship wars and that has never not been dumb as hell. queerbaiting is an excuse to make it not seem as petty but that's what it is. fandom dumb.

same as it ever was.

basically

*create or work on something people like*

any fandom ever:

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

Ahhh I was just rewatching Sworn to the Sword today and wondering when we'd get to see Stevonnie in Connie's awesome training outfit :swoon:

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Macaluso posted:

It would actually be amazing if this ended up being the case

Though I think with Pearl she'll pull out her spear, attach the shield to the top and form a microphone and do the shouty microphone powerup

edit:

http://redkatherinee.tumblr.com/post/148838135509/d

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVVNqR12xQU

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Troposphere posted:

same as it ever was.

Reminds me of the time I saw a post going around about how Korra ending up with Asami was counter-productive towards LGBT culture and, in fact, Makorra would have been the more queer ship because gender roles or something.

Fandoms suck for everything.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I was thinking about it and I think one of the reasons this episode felt off was, while most episodes struggle to work within the run time and often feel condensed, this one felt like it didn't need the full runtime and felt a bit drawn out.

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

Didn't know Zuke deactivated her Twitter. That makes me so sad and angry.

I don't care what the haters (whatever they hate) think; the Lapis and Peridot scene in Beta made me so happy on so many levels.

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Reminds me of the time I saw a post going around about how Korra ending up with Asami was counter-productive towards LGBT culture and, in fact, Makorra would have been the more queer ship because gender roles or something.

Fandoms suck for everything.

yeah that post is a classic

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Troposphere posted:

Is that the handmaiden to a feudal lord thing origin? Also didn't Asami specialize in hand to hand combat, racing and mechanics? Korra got her a girl that could do both & plus ultra!

HighwireAct
May 16, 2016

Pozzo's Hat

Troposphere posted:

oh geez

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

http://imgur.com/a/XKznS

Imgur is lame now I cant get gifs to work

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Troposphere posted:

Some people just refuse to be happy

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
here's her last tweets
It sounds like she was kind of mad at people for talking about leaks and spoiling poo poo for people but who knows

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

Is that the handmaiden to a feudal lord thing origin? Also didn't Asami specialize in hand to hand combat, racing and mechanics? Korra got her a girl that could do both & plus ultra!

yep that's where the meme came from

and yeah she did asami rules

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Hihohe posted:

I right click and open image in new tab to link things from imgur these days. :sigh:

Troposphere posted:

and yeah she did asami rules

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Troposphere posted:

I have significant difficulty taking trans stuff seriously and stuff like this really doesn't help.

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?

WarpedNaba posted:

I have significant difficulty taking trans stuff seriously and stuff like this really doesn't help.

cool that post has nothing to do with being trans

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
well this is already going GREAT places.:sigh:

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.

Hihohe posted:

http://imgur.com/a/XKznS

By the power of SadGay! I Have the power!

They are just so happy to,
Make sure you didn't turn into,
A dead rear end human...

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Man, and I was just about to say how those things make me appreciate how relatively sane this thread is even if it can get dumb at times :(

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.

Acne Rain posted:

here's her last tweets
It sounds like she was kind of mad at people for talking about leaks and spoiling poo poo for people but who knows

From what I understand fans of the show bombard her with questions on all her social media, and she didn't feel the need to answer and respond to every tweet. Some people got angry with her for that and she got frustrated that everyone was using her as a surrogate for talking directly to the show. Somewhere along the lines people started arguing about Jasper and shipping, and it may have been ironic at first before going improbably more stupid.

Metal Ray Sunshine
Jun 16, 2009

Muta's Mating Dance Rates a 5 on the Muta Scale
It's really sad that Zuke deactivated her twitter on such a down note. Especially after, as someone pointed, this episode basically being a reflection of Zuke when she was a fan of the show and not working on it. It had a callback to Sugilite's speaking role, and answered the age old question "Why did Pearl say she likes pie when she hates eating?" She likes making them, which she is seen doing at the beginning of the episode

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Metal Ray Sunshine posted:

It's really sad that Zuke deactivated her twitter on such a down note. Especially after, as someone pointed, this episode basically being a reflection of Zuke when she was a fan of the show and not working on it. It had a callback to Sugilite's speaking role, and answered the age old question "Why did Pearl say she likes pie when she hates eating?" She likes making them, which she is seen doing at the beginning of the episode

White Diamond: That's a nice pie... for a HUMAN to eat! In a house! CLOD!

Pearl: nooo

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway

MrSlam posted:

From what I understand fans of the show bombard her with questions on all her social media, and she didn't feel the need to answer and respond to every tweet. Some people got angry with her for that and she got frustrated that everyone was using her as a surrogate for talking directly to the show. Somewhere along the lines people started arguing about Jasper and shipping, and it may have been ironic at first before going improbably more stupid.

that makes sense

twitter seems like a bad platform in general, not only for format but since harassment is so easy and terrible.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

Acne Rain posted:

here's her last tweets

I felt bad until I read her tweets and now I'm just with her on this.

Artists have this weird thing going on where social media was like your comfortable space with your friends and then people started following you because of your work and pouring through all your conversations and every tweet you made in 2012 because you made or are involved in a popular piece of media. Then suddenly your private social space is also a performance you're unwittingly putting on for thousands of people who convinced themselves they are your personal acquaintance because they followed you on Twitter for 2 months.

Even if your heart is in the right place about it you can still contribute to this sort of thing. I see folks begging for her to come back to Twitter and they are in a sense part of the problem, because that's still expecting something of her or acting like she owes them her presence on Twitter. I don't feel like she was bullied or scared off, I feel more like she just checked out. I'm projecting a little though, I can't speak for her.

All of this said god what the gently caress though, of all the things to get mad about? Lapis and Peridot??? What the gently caress teenagers.

nerdbot fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Aug 13, 2016

HighwireAct
May 16, 2016

Pozzo's Hat

WarpedNaba posted:

well for one there's nothing about being trans in that post so that comment's a little unprovoked

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

WarpedNaba posted:

Like HighwireAct said, that post has nothing related to that, and speaking as someone whose life is literally trans stuff, I hope you do realize there's more to 'transgender' than angry tumblr people.

NumberLast
Jun 7, 2014
New thread hype!

Also Sardonyx is my favorite forevah!

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

T-man posted:

Like HighwireAct said, that post has nothing related to that, and speaking as someone whose life is literally trans stuff, I hope you do realize there's more to 'transgender' than angry tumblr people.

Oh, I do. And I'm trying, buddy. I'm just pointing out that this massive hard-on for pedantry in identity politics is a hefty barrier.

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

WarpedNaba posted:

Oh, I do. And I'm trying, buddy. I'm just pointing out that this massive hard-on for pedantry in identity politics is a hefty barrier.

Maybe don't look to Tumblr and Twitter cartoon fandoms for your concept of identity politics?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Dr Christmas posted:

Better yet, White Diamond is a fusion of all the other diamonds (they reassemble Pink or spend thousands of years slowly crafting a new one), and the whole thing is the dance they do.

I'm pretty sure that White, Yellow and Blue will fuse to form Black, because where their three triangles cross over in the new diamond logo there's a little black triangle formed.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

nerdbot posted:

I felt bad until I read her tweets and now I'm just with her on this.

Artists have this weird thing going on where social media was like your comfortable space with your friends and then people started following you because of your work and pouring through all your conversations and every tweet you made in 2012 because you made or are involved in a popular piece of media. Then suddenly your private social space is also a performance you're unwittingly putting on for thousands of people who convinced themselves they are your personal acquaintance because they followed you on Twitter for 2 months.

Even if your heart is in the right place about it you can still contribute to this sort of thing. I see folks begging for her to come back to Twitter and they are in a sense part of the problem, because that's still expecting something of her or acting like she owes them her presence on Twitter. I don't feel like she was bullied or scared off, I feel more like she just checked out. I'm projecting a little though, I can't speak for her.

All of this said god what the gently caress though, of all the things to get mad about? Lapis and Peridot??? What the gently caress teenagers.

Fans are legit the worst.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flying-PCP
Oct 2, 2005

Metal Ray Sunshine posted:

Thanks for pointing out the pie thing. In any other episode I'd say it's reaching to call it a reference to that, but since this seems to be The Meta Reference Episode, it could very well be.