Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
"Hey buddy, if you die a duckbilled tavern wench is going to claim your sword, do you have anything that can save your life here?"

Also, look at the spider "Can I help you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(
Call kvelar, have him start praying to toil.

Ask, how may I aid you?, to the knight.

Anything you need?, to the spider.

Didn't our first customer worship spiders or something? Care for a remainder Swedish?

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

aw poo poo, no the Daft Punk knights. those guys are dicks

AbysmalPeptoBismol
Feb 5, 2016

Nausea, heartburn, indigestion, upset stomach, diarrhea!

Lolth is a deity in this setting, so the spider might be a servant of hers.

As for this heavily wounded knight lying there dying, he could very well be a paladin of Toil.

As for what to do?

Ask if there's anything we can do to help him

alpaca diseases
May 19, 2009

repeat the litany in time with him

Might help and can't hurt in any case

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

WHY YOU GOTTA BREAK A BROS HEART

maxhush posted:

repeat the litany in time with him

Might help and can't hurt in any case

My vote goes to whatever isn't this, seems like a good way to wind up with his awful non-paying paladin of being overworked to death prestige class.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
Repeat the litany.

I WANT to be a paladin of Toil.

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

It's a pleasure to meet all of you. Especially in such a fine settin' as this. Just need us some music an' a brawl an' we'll be set.

Waci posted:

Repeat the litany.

I WANT to be a paladin of Toil.

^

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....

Puppies are dicks posted:

My vote goes to whatever isn't this, seems like a good way to wind up with his awful non-paying paladin of being overworked to death prestige class.

This man speaks sense! I mean, Toil is kinda good in that he made us get a cool artifact, but we should probably not commit this much to him.

As for the vote, inquire about his mission. It's what Toil would want, paladin or no paladin.

Also, fetch a cupcake. I want to see waht a paladin-soul looks like.

Theantero fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Aug 13, 2016

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Theantero posted:

As for the vote, inquire about his mission. It's what Toil would want, paladin or no paladin.

Also, fetch a cupcake. I want to see waht a paladin-soul looks like.

Okay, let's do this first. CHanting can come later.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

I'd rather be a paladin of whatever god is actually in charge of all this magical stuff we've been doing. Unlimited cupcakes!

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....

There Bias Two posted:

I'd rather be a paladin of whatever god is actually in charge of all this magical stuff we've been doing. Unlimited cupcakes!

Alas the Pantheon of Rim seems fairly small, and we just have to do without a Janus equivalent. Might be because the good ol' Emperor killed a bunch of gods back in the day.

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer

Mr. Nemo posted:

Didn't our first customer worship spiders or something? Care for a remainder Swedish?

Swedish Thaumocracy posted:

Official Unified World Church Doctrine states that Lolth is the Patroness of the Hearth.
Her little helpers keep the Empires granaries safe from vermin, keep pests away from livestock and whisper terrible secretshelp inform the Imperial Census about the goings-on in the Empire.
She has worshippers amongst all the species, but is primarily revered amongst the Drow. She is the very model of an Imperial Grandmother, keeping her extended family secure in her tender, loving, all encompassing web.

You did indeed meet a Drow nobleman with a private shrine to Lolth, the goddess of Spiders, Spikes, Hearth and Home. Lolth forms one part of the triumvirate of deities that rule the Rim'ian pantheon, together with Quackeen and Toil.

There Bias Two posted:

What is magic?
After having leafed through your copy of Monsters Monthly a few times in the recent week, you have come across the term 'supernatural' more than once.
The way the term is used seems to correlate with some of the seemingly impossible things you have encountered during the past few months, though you still have no good explanation for the why or the how.

Clerics and Paladins may act as conduits for miracles; letting their Gods act their will upon the mortal world through a clearly established set of rules. Rituals with a defined cost and effect, sacrifices that yield the desired result etc.

As far as you know, there is no God of 'doing impossible and random things' nor is any God in the established pantheon of the United World Church in charge of monsters and their abilities.
In fact, the opposite is true: The covenant between Gods and Mortals strives to protect the Empire from such chaotic and hostile forces.

Theantero posted:

Alas the Pantheon of Rim seems fairly small, and we just have to do without a Janus equivalent. Might be because the good ol' Emperor killed a bunch of gods back in the day.

Thorgrim doesn't have any religious education beyond the mandatory classes every Imperial Citizen attends during their formative years. These classes cover the basics of the three main deities and some of their more recent history, but mostly centre around the Gods place in the world, important holidays, proper conduct and taboos to avoid. It is entirely possible there are other gods, Indeed some of the more prominent temples of the world house small shrines to them, but in the larger scheme of things they are unimportant, mostly remnants of a forgotten age.
Only serious scholars ever dig into pre-imperial history, not that many records exist to begin with.

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer
Interview with a dying knight

In between the verses of his litany, the man tries his best to reply to you.

Nyaa posted:

what is your current task from Toil?

Theantero posted:

inquire about his mission.

"Mission, yes. Find man. Hiding around Braav? Return him. Alive."

AbysmalPeptoBismol posted:

Ask if there's anything we can do to help him

Outrail posted:

"Hey buddy, if you die a duckbilled tavern wench is going to claim your sword, do you have anything that can save your life here?"

"A sword is a tool. For certain work. As am I. To be used, and not discarded.
If I die, send my body, to the forges. That I might yet serve, The Empire."

Outrail posted:

Also, look at the spider "Can I help you?"

Help you my child, you seem ill at ease.
Does this strangers suffering tug at your empathy?
Or are you merely relishing in his continued pain?

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Interview with a dying knight

In between the verses of his litany, the man tries his best to reply to you.

"Mission, yes. Find man. Hiding around Braav? Return him. Alive."

"A sword is a tool. For certain work. As am I. To be used, and not discarded.
If I die, send my body, to the forges. That I might yet serve, The Empire."

"He's working for Toil, just as I have done in the past. I could easily be in his position right now. He has worked himself to the literal bone and continues to work with his dying breath. Such devotion merits whatever aid or mercy I can provide to him."

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

"I want to help"

HBar
Sep 13, 2007

"Pain and suffering mean nothing when you toil for a righteous cause. The only mercy this man needs is the kind that improves his survival."

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
"Your job is not over, knight. Get rested and report back to duty after you recovered. I will take over your duty for now."

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Is there a way we can emergency requisition a miracle for cash?

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer
There is a Spider in this Post

Grognan posted:

Is there a way we can emergency requisition a miracle for cash?

God(s) are always just a prayer away. Sometimes they are even closer.

There Bias Two posted:

"He's working for Toil, just as I have done in the past. I could easily be in his position right now. He has worked himself to the literal bone and continues to work with his dying breath. Such devotion merits whatever aid or mercy I can provide to him."

Nettle Soup posted:

"I want to help"

HBar posted:

"Pain and suffering mean nothing when you toil for a righteous cause. The only mercy this man needs is the kind that improves his survival."

<the Spider laughs. The noise simultaneously warms your heart and chills you to the bone.>

"Pray, what would you do to receive this mercy? Would you barter with my sister, so quackeen to rend from you your spoils? Or would you sacrifice upon my altar, that I might dine upon supple flesh once more?
Perhaps you would do as our devoted brother, ignore a strangers plight but take his toil upon yourself? Noble and foolish; such work is not for the likes of you my child, your talents lie elsewhere.

Or are you so presumptuous as to think yourself above our help? That you can solve this sordid scene alone?
<Heartfelt Laughter> Oh I would love to see you try. To fail, sorrow. To succeed, jubilant. You are dear to us."

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
A Challenge then?
Eat a Cupcake and solve our own problems.

Give the gods a little show. To be mortal is to break fate.

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

Arkanomen posted:

A Challenge then?
Eat a Cupcake and solve our own problems.

Give the gods a little show. To be mortal is to break fate.

Vote this, I'm guessing he's supernaturally resilient anyway and just needs some spicy spectral crocheting to get sorted properly.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

There is a Spider in this Post

God(s) are always just a prayer away. Sometimes they are even closer.

<the Spider laughs. The noise simultaneously warms your heart and chills you to the bone.>

"Pray, what would you do to receive this mercy? Would you barter with my sister, so quackeen to rend from you your spoils? Or would you sacrifice upon my altar, that I might dine upon supple flesh once more?
Perhaps you would do as our devoted brother, ignore a strangers plight but take his toil upon yourself? Noble and foolish; such work is not for the likes of you my child, your talents lie elsewhere.

Or are you so presumptuous as to think yourself above our help? That you can solve this sordid scene alone?
<Heartfelt Laughter> Oh I would love to see you try. To fail, sorrow. To succeed, jubilant. You are dear to us."

I can't help but wonder if there isn't a fifth option. Why else would you be here if not for your own amusement? Surely some other way out would be much more entertaining than watching me do the same as all others or struggle futilely?

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer
Fifth Option?

There Bias Two posted:

I can't help but wonder if there isn't a fifth option. Why else would you be here if not for your own amusement? Surely some other way out would be much more entertaining than watching me do the same as all others or struggle futilely?

<The spider raises many of its metaphorical eyebrows.>
<You get the feeling it is smiling.>

"You are rare my child, full of chaos. So many paths open up before you, forming a wound in creation. So we worry. We watch, and we await."

AbysmalPeptoBismol
Feb 5, 2016

Sooo..Our options, as far as we know, are:
1. Ask Quackeen to heal him, in exchange for losing all our spoils most likely
2. Toil option: Ignore his suffering, take up his task and track down his man for him.
3. Give him to Lolth so she can feast on him..and maybe earn her favor?
4. Eat a cupcake and try to knit his ethereal essence back together ourselves.
5. Walk the gently caress away.
6. Eat Lolth.
7. Eat the knight.

AbysmalPeptoBismol
Feb 5, 2016

If we were to do things your way, dear grandmother, what would be the outcome?

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer
The Spiders Deal

AbysmalPeptoBismol posted:

If we were to do things your way, dear grandmother, what would be the outcome?

<The skies seem to darken as the spider replies.>

"Such manners, it pleases me child, into ecstasy!
A vow you would undertake, to find me a most delectable offering, in worth and spirit and flavour equal to the life-force of the wounded stranger, which I would jealously guard for you in return."

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

We could feed him the cupcake and unleash a terrifying monster of duty and iron give him a nice snack on his way out because low blood sugar is a real legit thing to worry about when you've been donating blood?

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

ok, deal

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

No deal, eat a cupcake

HBar
Sep 13, 2007

No deal, eat a cupcake

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer
Decisions

1: You have heard the spiders deal, but suspect other paths lay before you as well. Will you take the vow, or seek your fortune elsewhere?

A: Accept the Spiders Deal.
You will be bound by vow to find a sacrifice worthy of Lolth.

B: Barter with Quackeen.
The Goddess is just a prayer away. Perhaps she has a better deal for you?

C: Take his task upon yourself. Pray the Litany to Toil.
The Knight (Paladin?) of Toil said he was looking for a man, possibly hiding out in Braav.
Frankly That isn't much to go on, and you are a monster hunter, not a man hunter.

Perhaps all he needs is some fighting spirit. Join your wounded brother in faith, praise Toil and hope he pulls through.

D: Finish bandaging him up, ask a few more questions and continue on your journey.

E: Fetch a Cupcake from your pack.
You have but one left with you, though you left six more behind in ITEC headquarters.
Please mention if it Is it your intention to eat it yourself or to feed it to the stranger?

---

Question time remains open for now.
If you have already voted 'eat a cupcake' there is no need to vote again, your voices have been heard.
Unless you change your mind, that is.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

C

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
A

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

D with a bit of C, why pray to Toil, if a job's worth doing you should be able to do it yourself, right?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
A...ish.How about this giant rear end snake? Definitely bigger and badder then Sir Tinsoldieralot.

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(
Surely, I'd be a fool taking a deal accepting a deal without knowing the details, what kind creatures would you find an acceptable sacrifice Grandmother of All?

HBar
Sep 13, 2007

E+C. Pray the litany while sprinting to the pack and back, then we eat the cupcake.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

Yeah. Let's not accept yet another god quest without knowing the details.

Trust in our own pastry powered prowess instead. E

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer

Mr. Nemo posted:

Surely, I'd be a fool taking a deal accepting a deal without knowing the details, what kind creatures would you find an acceptable sacrifice Grandmother of All?

<The Spider scowls.>

"It is up to you my child to find an oblation that satiates me. I deal not in commerce like my merchant sister. I demand! I crave. I hunger for your hard-earned veneration. But I am kind, and if you are sincerely ignorant do not despair, for I will make it known what fits my purpose."

<The spider taps you once with a spindly leg upon your hand. You feel no different, yet when you look upon the monstrous snake that lies dead beyond your little gathering you get the distinct impression that it is somehow spoiled.>