Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Panty Saluter posted:

This is actually a huge hi-fi selling point :v:

As far as the earplugs I would guess since they lower EVERYTHING you wind up dropping the noise floor to an almost inaudible point but the music is still loud enough to get through so there may be an SNR improvement. As for the psychoacoustic effect to most people distorted = loud so maybe they feel they have to compensate more?

I've never heard a folded horn sub but I have heard Klipschorns in an appropriate room and they were indeed good. I suspect that had a lot to do with the large room though.

I was going to add that hearing your friends talk to you is easier with earplugs too, the music is the same volume, your friends aren't shouting louder yet it's still clearer than without. The only thing I could personally put it down to is a combo of reverb and distortion among other stuff I have no clue about. Really no idea to be honest, just what I've experienced.

There's definitely a feeling that distorted = loud though, while I had my system running 116db I did have a couple of people suggest it could be louder which is true but 116db recorded by a reference mic and a hand held SPL meter is still 116db, surely?!

All I know is the world of sound is weird which is why this thread exists and why people piss money away on gadgets and gizmos. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toys For Ass Bum
Feb 1, 2015

Oh man, everything in this god drat thread :catstare:
And I thought the soundcard I bought for my PC was ridiculously overdesigned.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

wayne curr posted:

Oh man, everything in this god drat thread :catstare:
And I thought the soundcard I bought for my PC was ridiculously overdesigned.

I'm the "studio grade content creation" next to the picture of unbalanced connections

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Panty Saluter posted:

I'm the "studio grade content creation" next to the picture of unbalanced connections

I'm the "studio grade" next to anything made by Creative.

Toys For Ass Bum
Feb 1, 2015

Notice how the rear end-end (the plate that screws into the back of your PC case) is also gold plated? :allears:

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

You reckon there's a market for audiophile grade gold plated PC cases?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Those are 6.3mm jack plugs next to the RCA plugs, they might be balanced outputs.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

KozmoNaut posted:

Those are 6.3mm jack plugs next to the RCA plugs, they might be balanced outputs.

Probably, but it's still driven by Creative :v:

I miss my old Turtle Beach Santa Cruz. That thing just squashed noise, it was a real revelation after the screechy, awful output of my old Live! card

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay

Panty Saluter posted:

Probably, but it's still driven by Creative :v:

I miss my old Turtle Beach Santa Cruz. That thing just squashed noise, it was a real revelation after the screechy, awful output of my old Live! card
:hfive:

What is the go to card now anyway? High end asus on sale? Onboard is supposed to have improved by leaps and bounds and a dac would fix a lot, I heard the asus is supposed to be more interference resistant...

New New Fresh
May 26, 2013

I've been using a home studio audio interface for as long as I've had a desktop, but if you're not into having an outboard DAC you can probably just use motherboard sound and it'll be fine. If you are getting noise or if you want surround then you can put in pretty much any current sound card and get decent quality.

evilcat
May 16, 2009

galahan posted:

:hfive:

What is the go to card now anyway? High end asus on sale? Onboard is supposed to have improved by leaps and bounds and a dac would fix a lot, I heard the asus is supposed to be more interference resistant...

Outboard is the common recommendation for those who actually want an improvement over motherboard audio. ASUS has some technically good products, but their customer service is so bad and dealing with their warranty can be so terrible that they are probably not a good choice.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
If you don't need positional audio for gaming the Fiio E10k is an excellent choice.

evilcat
May 16, 2009
What about for those who find their audio gear is limited by the power supply and seek the manually adjustable DC rectifier power supply that will cause everything connected to it to deliver "the ultimate in sound quality" that has "never been equaled" by everything from mercury rectifiers through selenium and up to bridge rectifiers, active bridge rectifiers and so on?
Why, it's coupling an old wire wound variable resistor to tungar bulbs, a NOS analog voltmeter (because a new one would be unreasonable) and a dial so the user can adjust the DC voltage themselves!
I suppose the next step is a vibrating rectifier and then maybe a motor-generator spinning away to power some amplifiers.

Luckily, for those into horn speakers they have an ultimate horn speaker with special conical horns. Their whole thing is that conical horns are the absolute best over every other horn type, how most audio cable is snake oil, but then they drop a "but this $800/4ft and up cable is very good and worth it" and apparently their speakers are 60% efficient compared to the .1% that other speakers are. there is just the slight issue that conical horns actually seem to have issues with wavefronts being disturbed and various higher order mode issues even at frequencies lower than what would load it.

That said if I had a box of parts and scrap wood I'd build a tungar bulb powered tube amplifier with conical horns because I have very bad taste and like some aspects of the look of their gear despite the very real performance and part availability issues those will have.

On a related possibly audiophile tangent, how is Arkhipov's Laboratory? The only stuff I can find on their gear is a head-fi article praising them and the website of the maker with some product photos and mostly Russian descriptions, so I'm very unsure if they fall into audiophoolery or are just fairly ordinary tube amplifiers with some marketing added in the form of audiophile grade components but are decent enough as far as tubes go.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

grack posted:

If you don't need positional audio for gaming the Fiio E10k is an excellent choice.

There is software for that. I got Razer's surround app for free with a mouse and it works fine with my Schiit DAC. Turning positional audio on and off before and after gaming sessions with the godawful Razer Synapse interface is too much of a bother though. :effort:

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

evilcat posted:

What about for those who find their audio gear is limited by the power supply and seek the manually adjustable DC rectifier power supply that will cause everything connected to it to deliver "the ultimate in sound quality" that has "never been equaled" by everything from mercury rectifiers through selenium and up to bridge rectifiers, active bridge rectifiers and so on?
Why, it's coupling an old wire wound variable resistor to tungar bulbs, a NOS analog voltmeter (because a new one would be unreasonable) and a dial so the user can adjust the DC voltage themselves!
I suppose the next step is a vibrating rectifier and then maybe a motor-generator spinning away to power some amplifiers.

Luckily, for those into horn speakers they have an ultimate horn speaker with special conical horns. Their whole thing is that conical horns are the absolute best over every other horn type, how most audio cable is snake oil, but then they drop a "but this $800/4ft and up cable is very good and worth it" and apparently their speakers are 60% efficient compared to the .1% that other speakers are. there is just the slight issue that conical horns actually seem to have issues with wavefronts being disturbed and various higher order mode issues even at frequencies lower than what would load it.

That said if I had a box of parts and scrap wood I'd build a tungar bulb powered tube amplifier with conical horns because I have very bad taste and like some aspects of the look of their gear despite the very real performance and part availability issues those will have.

On a related possibly audiophile tangent, how is Arkhipov's Laboratory? The only stuff I can find on their gear is a head-fi article praising them and the website of the maker with some product photos and mostly Russian descriptions, so I'm very unsure if they fall into audiophoolery or are just fairly ordinary tube amplifiers with some marketing added in the form of audiophile grade components but are decent enough as far as tubes go.

the one problem i have with the free $800 amp/dac combo amazon's incompetence got me is that the power supply is this ancient toroidal linear power supply design that makes it a space heater

it's nice in the winter, not so good in the summer :(

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Have a warm steaming pile of audiophilia: http://ultrafi.com/a-little-side-trip-into-esoterica/

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I really can't figure out what's happening in that story. He just yanked an ethernet cable and found that his wifi connection gave better audio somehow? Who runs audio through ethernet??

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

well why not posted:

I really can't figure out what's happening in that story. He just yanked an ethernet cable and found that his wifi connection gave better audio somehow? Who runs audio through ethernet??

Someone with a ground loop, probably :v:

Animale
Sep 30, 2009
I ended up buying some Dynaudio Emit M10s and the Emit center from the UK, and saved a few dolla dolla bills thanks to Brexit. Of course now I need to get them and make sure everything is ok with them, so there's still a chance this was a terrible idea.

I also backed the Heaven 11 Billie amp on kickstarter, which again could be a giant comedy of errors.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
Ooh that's a good point. Time to scope some British hifi. If the shipping doesn't kill me...

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.

well why not posted:

Even better, he was listening to music stored on his local hard drive, but somehow pulling the ethernet cable made it sound better.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Konstantin posted:

Even better, he was listening to music stored on his local hard drive, but somehow pulling the ethernet cable made it sound better.

Yep, voting ground loop.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Panty Saluter posted:

Yep, voting ground loop.

Correctly implemented Ethernet is already isolated from the ground planes of the connected devices, precisely to avoid these sorts of problems.

You're buying into his claim that the sound quality actually improved, which I highly doubt. Especially on such a massive scale as he claims.

It's just bullshit from an audiophile who doesn't understand digital audio. Unless he has measurements to show, it's all just wild-rear end guessing on his part

It's blatantly obvious when reading his assertions that "computer and IT people" cannot possibly understand music on the same level as analog engineers ("artists and artisans"), that he has absolutely no idea what he's talking about.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Aug 13, 2016

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

The IEEE standards for Ethernet have mandated electrical isolation since 1990 and you'd be hard pressed to find a device that didn't conform.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

KozmoNaut posted:

Correctly implemented Ethernet

My, don't we have a lot of faith in audiophile gear! :v:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Well, I would assume that a Mac Mini has a correctly implemented Ethernet port, even though it is Apple :v:

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

KozmoNaut posted:

Well, I would assume that a Mac Mini has a correctly implemented Ethernet port, even though it is Apple :v:

So trusting! :v:

Also, it's probably some dumbass audiophile "hot rodded" thing.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

He would have obsessively detailed every single little modification to it, were that the case.

If there's one thing to be said about audiophiles, it's that they're all rather predictable.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

KozmoNaut posted:

The 3.5mm analog side of my iMac kicked out the most horrendous noise to my amp to the point where I had to use an optical cable and put it through a DAC instead just to get clean audio. I don't know whether my case was a one off or not, but there could be something up with his hardware.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

There was talk of this in the relics GBS thread and got my wondering: do you guys use the EQ on your PC / phone? I always have and always will put it on Rock, immediately (apart from my Cowon M2 which has some ridiculous custom setting I found online). Do you just leave everything flat or use presets? Are presets the devil to an audiophile?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I use the "bass punch" setting on my Moto X for the built in speaker, and flat for headphones

evilcat
May 16, 2009
My AV receiver doesn't offer more than a sound boost to any pair of speakers or to the front speaker, so I don't really apply anything there. My phone I can't be bothered, and for my PC the speakers have an issue where the left speaker cuts in and out and has varying levels of static through one part of the volume range, and it's the only part where it's loud enough to hear yet quiet enough to not be painfully loud. EQ won't save those speakers, but I probably will apply something when I replace them with a setup that works.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Oh right. On the main stereo (PC, CD player, 360, turntable and so on), I have:

-8.5dB at 45Hz (Q 4.41)
-5dB at 75Hz (Q 5.71)
-3.5dB at 150Hz (Q 7.38)
-4.5dB at 190Hz (Q 7.38)
-3.5dB at 335Hz (Q 0.94)

For room correction, mostly narrow cuts to lessen room modes. Of course, that makes everything very even and awesome at reference levels, but since I live in an apartment and can't play at reference level all the time, I've also got a ~3-4dB bass boost dialed in on my preamplifier, centered around 100Hz, just to make everything come alive at lower volumes. The reason I have that on my preamp and not on the DSP crossover along with the room correction, is that I can turn it off and on again using the remote control.

On the secondary stereo in the bedroom, I have the selectable mute set to -30dB, in order to get the volume control in the correct range to properly taper off the loudness, which I have enabled. It's a little heavy-handed on the bass on my Akai AM-2600 (like +8dB or something), so I knock off -4dB with the bass control. Now it's just the way I like it :)

On the stereo in the kitchen, I don't bother. I move around so much when cooking and the bass changes wildly from the middle of the room to near the walls, so it's hopeless trying to adjust it.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

I don't use a phone for audio, I have a Sansa Clip+ and I have that set to flat but with a 2db bump in bass when using my headphones (DT770s)

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Alan_Shore posted:

There was talk of this in the relics GBS thread and got my wondering: do you guys use the EQ on your PC / phone? I always have and always will put it on Rock, immediately (apart from my Cowon M2 which has some ridiculous custom setting I found online). Do you just leave everything flat or use presets? Are presets the devil to an audiophile?

I'm a neophyte and don't use any equalizer on my PC. I use the 3.5 jack split to RCA into my NAD receiver. I have bass and treble dials and a loudness button. Sometimes I boost the bass but usually I leave it flat. I do like the loudness feature unless I'm already playing my music really loudly. From what I understand, the loudness feature will boost low and high frequencies at lower volumes, which makes it easier to hear details. It makes a big difference with my bookshelf speakers, especially for drum details in rock music.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Filthy Hans posted:

From what I understand, the loudness feature will boost low and high frequencies at lower volumes, which makes it easier to hear details. It makes a big difference with my bookshelf speakers, especially for drum details in rock music.

That is pretty much correct.

The reason for doing so is that human hearing is less sensitive to low and high frequencies than it is to middle frequencies, so music has a tendency to sound 'thin' and boring at low volumes. The loudness function is meant to compensate for that. On some amps, the loudness compensation tapers off as you increase the volume.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
A feature sometimes known in modern AV receivers as "Audyssey Dynamic EQ". Not a bad thing for those of us in apartments.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe
As audiophile :psyduck: goes, not all that expensive but :psyduck: just the same

https://www.engadget.com/2016/08/15/japan-audiophiles-install-own-electricity-poles/

WSJ via Engadget posted:

When Takeo Morita worried that "tainted" power would affect the quality of his tunes, he installed a roughly $10,000 utility pole with his own transformer to get more electricity straight from the grid.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Idea: Sell diesel generators for audiophiles, using marketing bullshit about how electricity from Big Power can't be trusted not to taint the sound.

Also recommend that for optimal quality they only run it on your brand name audiophile grade diesel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

I came to post this article but from WSJ: http://www.wsj.com/articles/a-gift-for-music-lovers-who-have-it-all-a-personal-utility-pole-1471189463

I'm impressed they'd even bother with such a request!

quote:

A Japanese magazine, “Power Sources & Accessories,” specializes in power sourcing for audio equipment, including the deployment of private poles.

quote:

Mr. Morita, the Queen fan, decided to get his own pole after visiting a Tokyo audiophile who had one. “We listened to rock and vocals sounded dramatically better.”

He met a utility-company engineer who disputed the notion that a pole would make any difference. “He was so adamant,” he says, “and that actually made me want to install it more.”

:v:

Check this other private pole dude out in his listening room;

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Aug 15, 2016