Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Closes notebook where the header is "All fish have tits?" is circled several times

Now that sounds like the kind of idea the boy mayor of second life would come up with

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
The "truth is in the middle" guy in that thread.

Let's not genocide EVERYONE. Just half of everyone! That's fair, right?|

edit: Ha, and just a few posts later the same guy has a meltdown.

quote:

heck lets go then better way: triple the drat times because now it adds a real realism card into play... lets keep arguing left or right who is right game forever then ... lets keep running this cause you cannot understand people who like times and keep standing "I am right, you are wrong" way

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
I loved the most recent guy explaining that a complex configuration menu that allows us "cheatrts" to use traditional craft times if we want is obviously the superior option.

What is wrong with these people? I was on the forums a while back and hasnt realized they has gotten this bad.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
While I respect the impulse to give the fans a say I dunno if it is a good idea for developers to engage directly with folks. Because you're going to be engaging with the most rabid loonies most of the time, and they should have confidence to make their own decisions to shape a game.

Imagine if classic games like doom or civ crowdsourced their opinions on stuff? Yeesh.

I'm fine with developers doing what they want. If I don't like it that's also fine.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

GlyphGryph posted:

I loved the most recent guy explaining that a complex configuration menu that allows us "cheatrts" to use traditional craft times if we want is obviously the superior option.

What is wrong with these people? I was on the forums a while back and hasnt realized they has gotten this bad.

I've never read those forums until recently, and still nothing but that thread. Honestly, it's always this bad with that kind of mindset. From here, to tabletop, to action games.

The "But REALISM! (only when it makes things harder, not easier)" crowd is a creeping problem that's easy to laugh off, until suddenly you are up to your eyeballs in ballbusting design decisions while surrounded by people chanting "Immersion".

EDIT: The real hell of it is how mostly people honestly think they are improving things. Even otherwise reasonable people who agree with you on what is good vs bad game design can fall prey to it.

Like a long time internet acquaintance stonewalling on optional KO rules with arrows "Because that's not realistic, arrows are sharp!", while letting the Cleric KO people with fire and holy lasers because "It's not my fault magic isn't realistic" and offering you an OP magic swiss army weapon while their GMPC is still slumming it with a generic +1 staff.

But knocking people out with arrows? That's TOO FAR! Now, let's discuss how much we are going to pay the goblins we just hired to fire a catapult at a dragon.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Aug 14, 2016

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

This issue is less that the devs over-engage with their community and more that early-access games breed over-demanding players. If they went "this is how we are making this game, beta test the bugs for us or gently caress off" then it might be better, but when you open up the floodgates for suggestions then it just goes to hell.

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
Greetings Earthling! Do you have any Zoom Boots?
Seems like a really pointless and unnecessary change to me. I really don't want to waste time waiting around for poo poo to craft in this game.

The responses on those forums to what appear to be rational reasons for not wanting the change are incredible. I wonder what kind of mental gymnastics have to occur for someone to have such conviction about such a stupid and pointless change. What does sitting around for three minutes do for me? Nothing. There's nothing to do while I wait.

I really hope this change doesn't make it into the live version because it would move Subnautica from "game I recommend" to something else. In my experience it's generally not a good thing for the player when devs follow their "vision" without really thinking it through.

Also that EnglishInfidel guy is one of the most insufferable idiots I've seen on forums in a while.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Its not even their vision, its something they were convinced they needwd to do because people hated the instant crafting

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I'm probably not going to play the release if they put in 5 minute crafting timers. I have other games and I had a lot of fun with this one already.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

They almost certainly arent reading that forum thread, so I recommend people provide in game feedback as well... and that some folks try to get into their premium playtest team or at least attend their live playtest session things? Its not at a timw I can get in unfortunately.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich

double nine posted:

Just for fun I went into creative mode and explored that sheer cliff on the opposite side of the Aurora. Turns out there's nothing there, the cliff just keeps going and going and going until at about 3000m depth you get to very jagged rocky area that seems impossible for the Cyclops to navigate, but if you take the seamoth you can swim through some cracks and go underneath the landmass.

again nothing there but it feels really claustrophobic to be swimming underneath this mass of rock with no exit except by turning back.

You wanna see something really claustrophobic? If you go down near the Jelly Shroom cave, if you follow it north you'll find a giant skeleton of some dead fish. Keep going past it and you'll go through a tub, only to come out into a giant underwater empty cube. It's massive and there's literally nothing in it except darkness. Good luck finding the entrance before you run out of power! :byewhore:

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

GlyphGryph posted:

They almost certainly arent reading that forum thread, so I recommend people provide in game feedback as well... and that some folks try to get into their premium playtest team or at least attend their live playtest session things? Its not at a timw I can get in unfortunately.

Hey now, the Devs clearly read that thread in order to post in it on page 1!

To tell somebody "It's not LITERALLY 6 minutes, it's only three and a half :rolleyes:"

Section Z fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Aug 14, 2016

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

GlyphGryph posted:

He's right though. Space engineers works like that. When you hit new game, you get a shitload of settings including but not limited to: assembler/refinery crafting speed and efficiency

You can be a a masochistic retard like me and create gigantic ships and bases with a hundred refineries, and empty in an entire planet worth of ore, or you just set everything to 10x one refinery and assembler.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

About the idea of configs? Yeah i think that is occassionally the right idea, likeI said to him in the thread embracing customizing and moddability and configs was a big part of what made Cataclysm DDA populae and I woulsnt have pushed for it if I didnt think it was good.

But I dont think it would be good for a game like Subnautica except in the loosest form of a handful of settings bundle. Makes things harder to test and develop for when you start creating a web of golden paths. Maybe defailt to no timer and have a config file for the folks comitted to tedium now that they have already added it, but dont mainline it! There plenty of games that cater to masochistic customization, I reaxh for Subnautica when I DONT want to play one of those.

Anyway, that isn't an option in the poll
http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/144405/poll-crafting-time#latest

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Aug 14, 2016

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
The settings already exist, you can disable food/water or go into creative completely. A separete option for "instant crafting" would be just fine.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
There's a console command that also gives you instant crafting. The point is that waiting around shouldn't be the default. I don't want to tell people what options they have to cheat in to make the game not annoying to play.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

GlyphGryph posted:

About the idea of configs? Yeah i think that is occassionally the right idea, likeI said to him in the thread embracing customizing and moddability and configs was a big part of what made Cataclysm DDA populae and I woulsnt have pushed for it if I didnt think it was good.

But I dont think it would be good for a game like Subnautica except in the loosest form of a handful of settings bundle. Makes things harder to test and develop for when you start creating a web of golden paths. Maybe defailt to no timer and have a config file for the folks comitted to tedium now that they have already added it, but dont mainline it! There plenty of games that cater to masochistic customization, I reaxh for Subnautica when I DONT want to play one of those.

Anyway, that isn't an option in the poll
http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/144405/poll-crafting-time#latest

The middle ground vote is just going to KILL any "bring instant back" leverage, on top of there being way more faux hardcore pubbies to smash the button who will see that thread exist :sigh:

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Truga posted:

The settings already exist, you can disable food/water or go into creative completely. A separete option for "instant crafting" would be just fine.

Game modes already exist, which aren't quite the same as settings, and since this feature is tangential to the current game mode progression norms, adding a timing variation would either double the number of game modes already available and supported, bundle them (which is functionally doing away with the setting), or force them to do away with game modes completely.

I suppose it would be possible if they simply introduced a "Custom Mode" with individual toggles. Maybe that's the right way to do it - normal game modes that are actually developed for, and customizable toggles for the more players who enjoy tailoring their experience, even if it's not guaranteed to be as stable or balanced.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Aug 15, 2016

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
So people who do not like timers are being compared to people about to pee their pants now.

http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/comment/2306937/#Comment_2306937

EnglishInfidel - "Elitism is fantastic"

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Section Z posted:

So people who do not like timers are being compared to people about to pee their pants now.

Ho-ho-holy poo poo, he literally called us peasants.

It's really cool that Everdraed got a "good post" from the devs, though - good job, man, it really was a good post.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Aug 15, 2016

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

Section Z posted:

EnglishInfidel posted:

If you took my post seriously, you're doing it wrong.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010
Are these people serious? Comparing the act of playing a loving video game to watching something in a microwave.

You'd think that if these people actually had the patience and temperment they are desperately trying to show off they'd be more than OCD basement dwellers.

EDIT: Just got to the part that compares it WoW guild hazing. Holy loving poo poo man.

Dyz fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Aug 15, 2016

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Dyz posted:

EDIT: Just got to the part that compares it WoW guild hazing. Holy loving poo poo man.
Out of context, you would think "Internet poster compares crafting timers to WoW Hazing via 'Dull' 'tedious' mechanics" would be something said by a guy who hates timers, wouldn't you?

Nah, it's the people trying to defend timers making those comparisons :pseudo:

Section Z fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Aug 15, 2016

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
They made ANOTHER thread with a poll, and then threw a fit when things didn't go their way again.

quote:

All those mint accounts only made to vote here make the validity of this poll highly dubious, no matter which way it will turn out.

quote:

How even the poll is compared to how the original thread has become basically all instant supporters does go to show that they aren't necessarily the biggest, they just make the most noise. Not that voicing your opinion is a bad thing, mind you. Its just interesting.

quote:

Don't forget to account for all those accounts made over a year ago who've been pretty much completely silent until now.

quote:

Manufacturing a false consensus by vote brigading and dog piling (with and without fake accounts) isn't that uncommon on the internet.

:tinfoil:

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Internet cultists are weird. There's no way people who disagree are passionate and signed up to voice their displeasure at a change. Shut up or put up.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I just can't get over how that one guy thinks he's heroically part of the silent majority and everyone he disagrees with is maliciously trying to be louder.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

It's not really surprising that those forums are super insular, I don't think many people would bother even signing up versus just posting on Reddit so the ones that do get to feel high and mighty. I mean, I like the game a lot, but those people are invested

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

DreamShipWrecked posted:

It's not really surprising that those forums are super insular, I don't think many people would bother even signing up versus just posting on Reddit so the ones that do get to feel high and mighty. I mean, I like the game a lot, but those people are invested

Hell I barely feel invested enough to post about it here (even though I do like the game a lot). But I signed up over there to say gently caress crafting timers, because gently caress crafting timers.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
deleted

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Nov 30, 2022

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Cythereal posted:

Agreed. I've enjoyed playing around in this game for the sense of exploration and discovering things, not for the megasperg survival/crafting nonsense.

A few people on the Steam forums are finally actually looking at the thread and 180ing at seeing that the reports are not exaggerated.

quote:

Besides I gave up being the white knight of common sense on the internet years ago. If the devs are going to make drastic alterations to the engine without taking the time to collect some alternate feedback from different sources that's not really my problem.
Edit: okay I checked it out and your right those people are terrible and I am officially off my drat rocker and ready to raise some Hell.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

I think that a big part of the debate is missing the difference between "exploration" and "survival". I would not like the game if it was just a floating around looking at stuff simulator, because it would just be a giant fish tank. You have to have some danger or it isn't fun.

However, since it is a exploration game you are constantly pushing your limits and the envelope of safety in order to go just that bit further to get something, so you can make something to go even further. It is a game where you main objective is to further your own ability to explore, and to make yourself stronger as a result.

That is different than survival games, where the objective is to just live as long as you can. You can do the same thing repeatedly and still go by fine.

In a general example, exploration games make you go out and search if you want to win. Survival games allow you to grow potatoes in your habitat until the end of time and "win"

Both games are good and also similar, but they aren't the same thing.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

If they turn Subnautica into an unfun grind a la ARK, I'm done with early access games for good.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Maybe they will go the elite route and add timers that run down when you arent playing. Spend a few days away in real life and all the food in your inventory is rotted, you generators are dry, your plants are dead from not being watered and your fish from not being fed.

Wouldnt that be grand?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

I personally hope they develop a mobile app so that it can ping me every three hours and remind me to feel my in game diver before he starves to permadeath. *realism*

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
It really does feel like some free to play shenanigans, like it should be asking me for .99 to speed up my timers. Maybe let me buy a coin doubler while I am at it.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

do these people realize that the long dark is available if you want gameplay that's just to slowly but surely starve to death

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Efexeye posted:

do these people realize that the long dark is available if you want gameplay that's just to slowly but surely starve to death

They don't really want that degree of awfulness, they just think that they do

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Met posted:

I just can't get over how that one guy thinks he's heroically part of the silent majority and everyone he disagrees with is maliciously trying to be louder.

That's the magic of the internet. It's why you also see way more wildly loving extreme opinions and viewpoints now. Some people literally just hang out in the "My Opinion" forums and read the "My Opinion" blog and eventually becone delusional to how the rest of the world works.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Well, the Devs say they are going to try out lowering timers in the experimental soon in the Poll thread. Though Killing Floor 2 (among many other things) has made me hazy on Dev responses being "Don't worry, we know you all hate it!" and then still leaving enough of a feature in to entirely change up the game, despite lowering the numbers.

So hopefully, the adjustments down are meaningful rather than still saddling us with a bunch of 5-10 second timers for basic repeatedly needed objects and minute+ timers for others while saying "But it's not THREE minutes!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
They'd better not put timers on converting scrap metal or refining lubricant/silicone rubber.